What's new

Chitosan

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Correct, chitinase is any enzyme which breaks down chitin. Lipases split lipids, proteases proteins, cellulases cellulose, and so on... All these enzymes are secreted by many different living organisms because these enzymes are the little machines which truly digest food, ours, that of microbes, and even the plants organic food!
Though, chitinase is somewhat different: Plants usually start secreting it in larger amounts when under attack and produce it only in small quantities constitutively not to digest food (well, carnivorous plants do exactly that) but to sense herbivorous insects and fungi which both contain chitin. Microbes on the other hand digest nearly everything, there's probably a microbial species or rather a microbial enzyme for ANY shit so to speak, even for synthetic plastics, mineral oils and the like. Hence, microbes break down crab meal by secreting chitinase liberating chitin oligosaccharides, not chitosan ;) . But they also secret a bunch of other enzymes some of which degrading chitin to chitosan. Both breakdown products stimulate the plants immune system. Might have some deeper logic to it (Darwin might disagree on that cause crab meal doesn't usually show up on fields by nature), might be coincidental, or the deed of a gardeners goddess... no matter what, that effect comes in very handy :) .

P-NUT

Veteran
Crabs are all over near the coast. Ive seen millions of land crabs swarm my area before. That and insects shedding their exoskeletons is how I would assume this response evolved.

P-NUT

Veteran
Also cannabis seems to grow good on floodplains where crabs and crawfish would probably be left for dead after the waters receded. I know in fl in the middle of the state your find crawdads after floods all over cowpastures and farms.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Good point! Especially the one with the insect exoskeletons! Now that I (re-)think about it, where there's a lot of such exoskeletons, there's likely a higher chance for herbivorous insects too. Makes complete sense.

BubbaBear

Interesting stuff, so chitinase comes from many different sources not just broken down chitosan. I just noticed that the original makers of Actinovate (Streptomyces lydicus strain WYEC 108) claim chitinase is one of its by products. I think im finally starting to get it lol. Thanks for explaining it again OO. Also what is your opinion on using chitosan while your brewing tea or applying a foliar biological product like Actinovate or OG Biowar? Will it feed the microbes or inhibit there reproduction?

hddeuce

Agreed. Not cheap by any means.

Interesting. If I may I suggest after combining the Chitosan and warm water, you vigorously agitate, let stand and then filter with an ≤80micron screen before adding it to Humic acid. Chitosan contains a substantial amount of small particles that could be problematic for irrigation applications unless they are removed. The filtering will help avoid clogging of filters, emitters, or even watering wand breaker heads.

Might I also suggest 2-5% chitosan by volume. 500g in 1liter of humic acid will give you a very thick and "soupy" result.

Nice thread. Keep it up.

cheap ass fun buy bud factor x

use as foiler lasts forever
100ml a week is hard to use and thats only 9$ weekly for super trichome production

add tricontanol and u have serious trichome development over night

everybody try to save money ending up with a waste of time and a meniscal savings is ur time and effort not worth more that $5 cheap ass dik

MoPho

How late into flower can Chitosan be safely used?
How long does it take to see the effects?

The reason I am asking is because I've notice that the trichromes continue to pack on as the plants are being hung to dry. So my theory is that with the extra boost of Chitosan right before chop it might help produce even more trichromes as they are drying.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Hi MoPho

Plants shouldn't really "pack on" trichomes once chopped. The density, trichomes per square-unit/cm/inch, will increase due the drying process (-> shrinking) and give the visual impression of more trichomes.
Therefore, don't spray whatever during the last days before chopping unless you're a cereal farmer... then you could use for example RoundUp as pre-harvest desiccant to guarantee a homogeneously dried product at the planned day of harvest (actually, most of that f**** is used for this process and not as "real" herbicide).
The effect of chitosan on plant immune responses is quick, starts within minutes to hours after application and, depending on different factors, persists for several days.
Depending on circumstances (mostly stress factors such as diseases, respectively the absence thereof) chitosan may or may not induce a plant response. The main action is that of an "immunity booster": accelerating and increasing the respective immune answer (e.g. SAR or ISR) if the need for one arises. This is one of the reasons for the high versatility and safety of that product; the plants only act when there's a need to and they decide in which direction the reaction should go. Adding SA or JA forces the plant in a specific direction which might be the wrong or a too strong one.
Additionally, one of chitosan's activities is reducing stomatal opening (under light) which slows down the drying process which is sometimes initiated days before harvest by ceasing irrigation.
Concerning safety of chitosan applications: good quality chitosan is edible and hence there is no safety issue even if you dump the cured product into pure chitosan before consumption. Although, you shouldn't smoke chitosan-powdered weed and shouldn't even treat the flowers with it but just the leaves or soil drench with it (there's anyway no point in treating everything)... Ah well, I suppose your question wasn't meant that way :D .

MoPho

Thanks OO for another insightful and very educational response. I've read on another thread that using JA will cause the plants to release a stress hormone in the form of a gas. This in turn cause neighboring plants to also go into defense mode, is this true? Since I am running a perpetual garden (only a few plants) using JA in theory would not work for my situation because sending the plant(s) in a defense mode to early will likely cause a loss in yield, correct? Is this also true for Chitosan Oligossaccharide or only if I use Chito in conjunction with JA causing a ISR?

Last edited:

MoPho

Can't seem to buy Jaz Rose spray any more on their website, when I click "check out" I get an error saying the "store is closed". Any one else having the same issue?

hyposomniac

Veteran
Can't seem to buy Jaz Rose spray any more on their website, when I click "check out" I get an error saying the "store is closed". Any one else having the same issue?

Not sure about ebay links here but search Methyl dihydrojasmonate there and youll find a stronger cheaper version

MoPho

Just read that Jaz Rose spray contains triton x-100, IIRC a very knowledgeable member said a big F-no on using that stuff. So I guess Jaz is out of the equation.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Thanks OO for another insightful and very educational response. I've read on another thread that using JA will cause the plants to release a stress hormone in the form of a gas. This in turn cause neighboring plants to also go into defense mode, is this true? Since I am running a perpetual garden (only a few plants) using JA in theory would not work for my situation because sending the plant(s) in a defense mode to early will likely cause a loss in yield, correct? Is this also true for Chitosan Oligossaccharide or only if I use Chito in conjunction with JA causing a ISR?
You're welcome!
Too much JA induces the production of ethylene. This by itself is part of the deal and may as well be beneficial. Like with all hormones, the right dosage and timing are very important. Ethylene, although volatile and plant permeating, does not necessarily stimulate neighbouring plants. Its main use is that of an endogenous signalling molecule and not a plant pheromone or the like. Under normal conditions you won't have a "contagious" effect when using JA only on selected plants.
Also, ethylene alone does not necessarily lead to plant defence induction. Amongst other effects, it's also used for increased branching, reduced stretch, and accelerated senescence.
A loss in yield only happens when using too much or inducing too strongly and that can happen with any kind of immune system response inducing treatment (horrible combination of words, sorry), even with chitosan. Chitosan alone is unlikely to do so but should there be a threat or additional stimulus (JA/SA), the plant's response may well be growth hampering. The theory (science and scientific growth trials) says that chitosan should reduce growth as much as JA or SA do but then again there are very potent SA analogues which only induce stress resistance without affecting growth/yield much. On the other hand stand field trials and farmers experiences wherein chitosan clearly shows increased growth & yield; the explanation here is obviously that a better immune response reduces the losses due pests and diseases. Even if there were a reduction in harvested matter compared to control plants grown under sterile and perfect conditions, the treated plants do a lot better than their unprotected kin out there fighting with all the creatures mother nature throws at them. Why exactly chitosan does so well under clean indoor conditions and only shows benefits and no drawbacks on such a broad set of plant species... I suppose our knowledge of plant physiology isn't that profound after all :) . Although the temptation in believing so is too strong for many, we ain't all knowing and perfect, god like beings but only humans with the biggest distinction from animals being our egos and not our brains.

MoPho

OO you da man. I've been reading and re-reading all these PGR threads over and over and over and over (you get the point LOL). Even after all that, I is/was confused as shit. But you come along and cleared up a lot of things.

"Too much JA induces the production of ethylene."
"Ethylene, although volatile and plant permeating, does not necessarily stimulate neighboring plants."

I thought ethylene gas was used in the ripening of fruits etcetera. That being said, in a perpetual setup won't the use of JA be harmful? I mean if the plants are weeks apart and JA is (over) used won't the ethylene being release cause the younger plants to mature too early?

Dang it.....I guess I am still confused.
:dunno::bashhead::bashhead: :dunno:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I thought ethylene gas was used in the ripening of fruits etcetera. That being said, in a perpetual setup won't the use of JA be harmful? I mean if the plants are weeks apart and JA is (over) used won't the ethylene being release cause the younger plants to :dunno:mature too early?
Correct, the main use of ethylene and ethylene releasers in agriculture is for fruit ripening. IF you over-apply JA, then the indirect effect on the young plants will be peanuts compared to the devastating direct effects on the treated plants :D . Seriously, your ventilation should be good enough to prevent the accumulation of ethylene. Dunno how many growers recirculate their air and use a CO2 generator. They might have other issues as well.

Just remembered: There are also so called VOCs (volatile organic compounds) which are released by plants... they have diverse effects too.

Got to go, wife wants to watch Castle ;) .

MoPho

Correct, the main use of ethylene and ethylene releasers in agriculture is for fruit ripening. IF you over-apply JA, then the indirect effect on the young plants will be peanuts compared to the devastating direct effects on the treated plants :D . Seriously, your ventilation should be good enough to prevent the accumulation of ethylene. Dunno how many growers recirculate their air and use a CO2 generator. They might have other issues as well.

Just remembered: There are also so called VOCs (volatile organic compounds) which are released by plants... they have diverse effects too.

Got to go, wife wants to watch Castle ;) .

Got it. Now that makes a lot more sense. Thank you sir:tiphat:

T

Terps

How long can chitosan oilgosaccharide stay stable and useable in water for?

Also can it be mixed with a fpe or compost tea and retain a shelf life?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Depends, chitosan oligo is chemically fairly stable at neutral to alkaline pH. The main problem is microbial contamination and microbes can literally eat it. In compost tea, there's a myriad of different enzymes, some of which most certainly will degrade it. FPE? What's that?
Best would be to prepare it freshly or in pure water and keep it in the fridge for a few weeks at best or use wisely chosen preservatives but that might be a job for a pharmacist... errr.... wait... I AM a pharmacist :D .