What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CFL Club!

lonetoker

Your plants look healthy, but I hope you keep those lights closer to the plant tops than they are in the picture. Like two or three inches max.

honestly i keep them like 6" away from the tops

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]_____________________________
click to check out my first grow 2014 in progress:good::watchplant:
:yeahthats::plant grow:

"A common mistake that people make
when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-D. Adams
:smoke out:
[/FONT]

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I don't know anything about this manufacturer, I have done no research, but the price seems fair for the advertized wattage. (Available 21, 27, and 64k)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-Hort...96?pt=US_Hydroponics&var=&hash=item2a3bbd158c

The seller's eBay name says it all- lowballer. That guy's not selling anything anybody couldn't get at most any big box home improvement store anywhere in the USA, and for at least twenty bucks less. About 30 minutes of DIY.

That CFL uses a standard light bulb fixture. The seller has added a very cheap hood/reflector (it's the same kind that comes with the HPS lights you can buy on eBay).

$57.75 is pretty expensive for this simple light bulb, fixture and hood imho.

Firebrand

The seller's eBay name says it all- lowballer. That guy's not selling anything anybody couldn't get at most any big box home improvement store anywhere in the USA, and for at least twenty bucks less. About 30 minutes of DIY.

That CFL uses a standard light bulb fixture. The seller has added a very cheap hood/reflector (it's the same kind that comes with the HPS lights you can buy on eBay).

$57.75 is pretty expensive for this simple light bulb, fixture and hood imho.
I had to do the research, it seems the EBay merchant is just a reseller and that he doesn't build these lights, the lights are built by Apollo Horticulture, Also the fixture uses a mogul base (E-39), and not a standard household socket.
http://www.apollohorticulture.com/cfl-250w-r.html

Now, all of that being said, if the CFL is actually 250 watts then I am still of the opinion that the pricing is fair.

Firebrand

For those who opt for the DIY the lamp is available separately for 40$ with free shipping in continental US. I have seen many asking 60-80$ for 200 watters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-Hort...11?pt=US_Hydroponics&var=&hash=item27e2d8a45b

I have a fluorowing that I bought for 70$ a the local grow store, it came with a 125 watt, I know, I over payed , but I was in a jam and didn't have time to shop around, the AH 250 should fit as a replacement for the default lamp (both are mogul base).

As far as CFL's go, I'm thinking more good value.

lonetoker

day 10 of flower on cfls

both are confirmed females now to sit back and enjoy the show

"A common mistake that people make
when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-D. Adams

Wu Wei

Hey lonetoker, they are looking really nice and very happy! Are they a stretchy strain? Your setup sounds great too, I am only now reading the previous message you wrote to me.

Here are some photos of my 300w cfl grow, Exodus cheese, Kalashnikova and Blue diesel auto :) the plants in the small pots are blue dream, northern lights x big bud and purple maroc. The purple maroc is to go outdoors with the others that I have outside. The blue and the northen will be up potted soon :D

Peace :ying:

Attachments

• IMG-20140514-00074.jpg
    IMG-20140514-00074.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20140514-00076.jpg
    IMG-20140514-00076.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20140514-00072.jpg
    IMG-20140514-00072.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20140514-00077.jpg
    IMG-20140514-00077.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 37

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Looking good in here, guys. Glad to see the club still lives on! :)

Here's my CFL garden at the moment. 125w vertical CFL in a cool tube, micro donut style. Day 29 flowering:

Oy3WJC7.jpg

Wu Wei

Hey Hush, wow that is one amazing cfl vert grow! They look amazing and super healthy :) did you make the cfl cooltube friend? I just have a reflector with my bulb.

Peace brother :ying:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well, I bought a hurricane glass tube from the local arts and crafts store:

10_x_6_glass_hurricane_candle_globe.jpg

Then I inserted it into one of these duct reducers:

DR604.jpg

Finally, the entire assembly is fitted into a hole in the ceiling of the grow chamber, and above that is where the socket is installed:

kUibUCm.jpg

I hope that helps. :wave:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Only when the exhaust fan is on, sucking air through that tube. I forgot to mention that, but that is kind of the whole point of the cool tube, is to have a fan pulling air through it at all times. Right above the light socket, not shown in the picture above, is a 4" centrifugal fan exhausting all the heat out of the cabinet.

When the fan is turned off, that glass gets pretty warm/hot. I wouldn't do it without the fan. :tiphat:

Wu Wei

Only when the exhaust fan is on, sucking air through that tube. I forgot to mention that, but that is kind of the whole point of the cool tube, is to have a fan pulling air through it at all times. Right above the light socket, not shown in the picture above, is a 4" centrifugal fan exhausting all the heat out of the cabinet.

When the fan is turned off, that glass gets pretty warm/hot. I wouldn't do it without the fan. :tiphat:

Hey hush, yea I imagined that it would get hot without the extraction running... I would just keep it on the whole time friend :)

Its cool that you have made a cfl cooltube I have never seen one, awesome!

Peace brother :ying:

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dig them CFL's....

Dig them CFL's....

I had so much fun with CFL's...

To bad it was my 1st grow ever and between the super hot soil and the borg showing up,it didnt give me the bounty it could have if I were to run this same set up today... Something I really want to do one day...

Take something like GG#4 big (4'-5') using only CLF's...lol

I ran 3 waves(Grows) my 1st season and changed up the room between each trying to apply learned lessons as I went...
Yet... lol
Each wave had more cfl's and there for more heat...Doh That and the SSH and SD just kept growing taller and taller... Doh x 2...

Any how... Would love to talk CFL's as Im leaning towards giving them another try while I figure out when to move...

I need a portable stealth rig and am leaning towards a 55 gal trash can Cfl Vert... Been working the design in my minds eye for a minute.

Uses a Mini Kiddie pool rig... haha... Oh yeah...

So I recently found some lost pictures of my 1st try at growing and
thought I would share a few here for kicks...

What I was playing with and managed to accumulate in under 6 months having started with 12 x 26w day one... Oh yeah...
It happens fast... Getting bit by the cfl bug,that is...

CFL:
26 w (100) x 21
32 w (75) x 1
65 w (300) x 5

946 True Watts
3615 Watts+150=3765 total

This is between the flower room and veg room...

Veg room Mix of 2700/6500
cfl
26x9
32x1

Flower Room Mix 6500/2700
cfl
26x12
65x5

Later I added my 1st HPS... A 150w ...
2 years later I have what 3000 HPS watts total available...
haha Oh yeah,thats how I like to play... Anyways...

Pictures...

I've made hoods out of everything you could tape,nail,glue a power stripe to...
Tell ya what...
Lamp hoods from the flea market are the bomb cheap CFL hoods...

Curving outwards with a hole up top and reflecting material inside makes for easy money cfl-ing...

2 cents...
D.U.D.E...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I ended up with 2.25 ounces from that garden at the top of this page. Not bad for a single, giant CFL. Here's a sampling from the harvest:

mpwDZL4.jpg

27XyCMN.jpg