What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

the.rise

CDM = Ceramic Discharge Metalhalide ;) .. is actually the same as CMH = Ceramic Metal Halide

I use many different types of CDMs (CDM-T Elite 930 & 942 RA 90 and CDM-TD 830) .. .. from 35W -150W .. they are way better then the CMH Retro-Whites

http://www.lighting.philips.com/gl_...al&parent=4390&id=gl_en_country_sites&lang=en
@Thinkgreen

i noticed you mention that the cdm technology is way better than cmh for the sub 150w range, but theres a good chance in my setup that im going to be using 2x 250's or 2x 400's depending on heat i notice from the first 250's i grab... money is definitely a deciding factor for this grow, so going 4x 150's at different K values would be out of the question.

now for my questions, sorry im a little :joint:

first off, what stages of growing do you use each of those cdm bulbs that you posted the spd index's of?

secondly, is it possible to run multiple cmh bulbs without needing a ballast for each? because id honestly rather run 4x 150's but buyin a ballast for each lamp starts making the price>light distribution

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Sorry if its been posted, huge friggin thread lol

Does anyone have an ETA on the rumored 1k CMH bulbs?

Thanks .)

What stndart ballast @ThinkGREEN? HPS?
I have few of those, I have been using 250W HPS.

I'm asking because I'm completely new with CMH bulbs. So just to make sure:
This bulb, will work on a standart setup "magnetic ballast/ignitor/capacitor" that been used previously to drive Philips SON-T (HPS) bulb? Correct?

Thanks.

P.S. Oh! And what would be the proper capacitor for 70, 150 and 250W CDM-T bulbs, same as on HPS bulbs, or different?
I know it's a lame question but I'm not good at electric stuff, I just do what the manual says :)

W

Woall

I screwed my new 250W CMH bulb into my SunSystem 2 ballast and it tripped the GFCI receptacle. Anybody know if this has to do with using a CMH instead of HPS? I guess I have to order a HPS bulb to find out.

ambr0sia

I screwed my new 250W CMH bulb into my SunSystem 2 ballast and it tripped the GFCI receptacle. Anybody know if this has to do with using a CMH instead of HPS? I guess I have to order a HPS bulb to find out.

I use a 400W CMH bulb on a GFCI protected circuit with no problems. My guess is that there's either something wrong with your ballast or your GFCI.

W

Woall

In my attempts to fire up the bulb, only to have the GFCI trip, am I damaging or altering anything inside the bulb? The last time I tried it, I didn't have anything else plugged in, and it looked like the bulb was barely lit and trying to light fully. It stayed in this mode for 10 or 15 seconds before I turned it off, fearing something bad was going to happen. I thought these bulbs turned on instantly. Should I try it again today and just wait longer? Is there a chance these attempts ruined the bulb? I read in this thread that they don't like power failures. Getting an electrician over or replacing the GFCI receptacle aren't really options, so I don't know what else to do but try a couple more times. I just don't want anything in the bulb to rupture as a result.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
with my magnetic ballast...my 400 CMH bulb takes 10-15 minutes to fire up...:2cents:

first a dull glow...that gets brighter

ThinkGREEN

...just one of Chromes chromeys ;)
ICMag Donor
first off, what stages of growing do you use each of those cdm bulbs that you posted the spd index's of?
in the veg.-stadium its wise to use the 942 (4200k) CDM & for bloom the 930 or 830 CDM (3000k)
but its possible to use the 930/830 CDMs for both,.. which I do.

these plants I grew directly 12/12 with a 830 150W CDM-TD in 60-70 days
secondly, is it possible to run multiple cmh bulbs without needing a ballast for each? because id honestly rather run 4x 150's but buyin a ballast for each lamp starts making the price>light distribution

imho,... actually yes,... these are just normal Shop lights...
but I would not advise it .. if you're not familiar with standard multiple hooked up HQI/CDM/HCI shop lightings systems.
btw.
1x 150W bulb+ballast doesn't cost more then 1x 150W HPS/MH system... and they last much longer with a constant high "effective" quality unlike the HPS.

The internal glass part in my CMH phillips has a raised bump, is this normal?
well,..sorry,.. it sounds like its dying...
I wouldn't use it anymore.

What stndart ballast @ThinkGREEN? HPS?
I have few of those, I have been using 250W HPS.

I'm asking because I'm completely new with CMH bulbs. So just to make sure:
This bulb, will work on a standart setup "magnetic ballast/ignitor/capacitor" that been used previously to drive Philips SON-T (HPS) bulb? Correct?

Thanks.

P.S. Oh! And what would be the proper capacitor for 70, 150 and 250W CDM-T bulbs, same as on HPS bulbs, or different?
I know it's a lame question but I'm not good at electric stuff, I just do what the manual says :)

most CDM/HCI run only on electronic (some work with magnetic) MH-ballasts ... if you have a HPS/MH combo-ballast then it'll probably work..
only the (CDO)CDM-TT / CDM-ET and some 250W CDMs work 99% with all HPS(SON) ballasts..

but look up on the philips homepage for exact info... everything what you're searching is there ;)
its just too much to explain at one time...

Quazi

with my magnetic ballast...my 400 CMH bulb takes 10-15 minutes to fire up...:2cents:

first a dull glow...that gets brighter
10-15 minutes?

That doesn't sound quite right.

Mine fires up in under 30 seconds.

Are you sure you're letting it cool down all the way before trying to ignite it again?

-Q :rasta:

Pinball Wizard

Veteran
10-15 minutes?

That doesn't sound quite right.

Mine fires up in under 30 seconds.

Are you sure you're letting it cool down all the way before trying to ignite it again?

-Q :rasta:
It works great...I don't have a problem with 10 minutes inital start up...it's 20 minutes for cool down power outage restart

Not all ballasts are created equal

W

Woall

I cannot get my 250W CMH bulb to ignite. Waited 5 minutes this time. I guess I'm ordering an HPS...

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I cannot get my 250W CMH bulb to ignite. Waited 5 minutes this time. I guess I'm ordering an HPS...

I had a problem with mine being a VERY tight fit in the socket and I had to screw it in and out several times before it seated all the way in, below is a pic of how much of the bulbs base is sticking out of the socket. I am using an HTG house brand ballast.

///EDIT/// here is a link to the post I made about my bulb not fitting into the socket

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=139730

picture.php

floydfanx6

hey guys i just baught a new 250 watt lumatek electronic ballast with a xtrasun hood with socket in it.,can i run a 250 cmh bulb on this ballast? this thread is 100's of pages long im so sorry im sure its been covered,,,im debating between the 250 hortilux and the 250 cmh there about the same price, thank u guys !

Pinball Wizard

Veteran
hey guys i just baught a new 250 watt lumatek electronic ballast with a xtrasun hood with socket in it.,can i run a 250 cmh bulb on this ballast? this thread is 100's of pages long im so sorry im sure its been covered,,,im debating between the 250 hortilux and the 250 cmh there about the same price, thank u guys !
250 & 400 watt CMH bulbs are designed to be used in MAGNETIC HPS ballasts ...only...sorry

Pinball Wizard

Veteran
My CMH bulb was tight in the socket, too...so was my Hortilux. I put a thin film of electrical contact grease on it and wrapped the bulb in a paper towel to wench it in tight. Don't get your finger prints on the bulb.

Latest posts

Latest posts