What's new

400w CMH bulb fitment issue

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I just received my HTG 400w HPS ballast and the Phillips 400w CMH bulb does not seem to thread in all the way on the socket and it won't fire. I am afraid of twisting to hard on the bulb. Any suggestions? :) And is it normal for the CMH bulbs to rattle a lot when moved? Thanks

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Yes, they rattle alot when moved, it's normal. My 400w CMH was a real tight fit also, I would up filing a burr off of the socket and it fit fine. Check your bulb and see if it has a little bit of extra on it that causes it to bottom out before seated.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Yes, they rattle alot when moved, it's normal. My 400w CMH was a real tight fit also, I would up filing a burr off of the socket and it fit fine. Check your bulb and see if it has a little bit of extra on it that causes it to bottom out before seated.

Thanks for the reply, I will check the bulb for burs. I was able to fire the HPS it came with but I had to finagle it into the socket.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
There were not any burs on the CMH bulb but I cleaned it up with steel wool anyway.

Since the HPS bulb was kind of a bitch to get all the way in I figured the CMH would go if patiently persuaded enough. :)

The CMH bulb was a MUCH tighter fit but I was able to finally get to screw all the way in after backing the bulb out and screwing back in several times.

It is working great!:woohoo:

///EDIT/// took a pic

picture.php

ricard0

Don't you just love that clean, white light? Much easier on the eyes when looking at your babies. You should notice a small drop in ambient and/or canopy temps as well.

Woo hoo for CMH

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Don't you just love that clean, white light? Much easier on the eyes when looking at your babies. You should notice a small drop in ambient and/or canopy temps as well.

Woo hoo for CMH

:) I was using a 8 bulb T5 fluoro bank so temps will probably go up a little but not nearly as much if I were to use the HPS bulb.

I love the light! When I first got it going I told the wife to come in because the sun was coming up in our room. :joint:

ricard0

I don't believe so. They might be working on a 1000w. Been a while since i checked out the CMH sticky.

EDIT: Nice, clean setup mouth

ricard0

CMH + NL#5

CMH + NL#5

If i may... i dug up this old shot of last years 1st run with the CMH
Close!!.jpg
I was able to get that puppy CLOSE. Roughly 8.5" with no burn..... open bulb

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I don't believe so. They might be working on a 1000w. Been a while since i checked out the CMH sticky.

EDIT: Nice, clean setup mouth

Thank you, once this grow is done I am going to really clean it up, the room was not finished before I had to start using it but I have big plans :)

Bahamut

Lookin nice! I had the same problem with my 400wcmh being a tight fit in my HTG socket and it didnt want to fire at first. But i just played with it a little and twisted it all they on. Its working perfect now and throws some nice colors when it turns on.