What's new

Carolina Reaper HOT Pepper

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I'll pass on the seizures... and yeah... I did the same frank... I watched em all fall off indoors with nothing pollinated.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
from what everyone here has said earlier in the thread I decided to do just that. I've rubbed my fingers on each and every pepper several times. That's it, right?

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup, or a paintbrush or some such similar tool. Oscillators aren't just good for cannabis, as well. There are quite a few people that get decent result from tapping the main stem once a day. I only have a few plants inside though, and it's no skin off my ass to pull up a stool and fondle their delicate parts.

And pfffft, that has nothing to do with seizures. The point is CBD/CBDV can deactivate the same receptors that give you the "hot" feeling. Homer drank wax to eat the insanity pepper on a Simpsons episode. Same deal. I can think of at least a few pranks I could pull :D

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From what I've read on other botany related sites and various articles, it is common practice to take a powered toothbrush and remove the tip...then turn it on and place it in contact with the flower you wish to drop pollen...and collect it that way. It can then be applied via paintbrush, q-tip, finger, etc to the other flowers.

I've never tried getting pollen to drop this way - but it seems to be a common practice so it must be effective at maximizing the amount of pollen released...

dank.Frank

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
the DIY version....

homemade-electric-toothbrush-gift-for-christmas-e1356230853389.jpg

:moon:

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Here we go…..couldnt get many good pics as it's hard to get a shot from underneath the canopy what with my 600w light pointing right back at it. I was able to get some good ones of the small Reaper in a .5gal under the T5.

(This pic was about 3 weeks ago (1 week before flowering)

(And the flowering pics)

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Here's the much much larger Reaper that is under the 600w in a 5gal bucket (I put it in a second 5 gal bucket because i'm not all that worried about it getting too close to the lights, haha)
It's actually get some height on it now that it's flowering, god damn it's been one stubborn plant. 5 and a half months old now, lol.

(You can spot it in the front there between the catpiss and the glue)

I've hand pollinated them about 5x now over the past week and a half. So far after 3 weeks of flowering I'm counting roughly 45 peppers LOL! If they keep flowering and I don't lose many i'd estimate i'll be getting at least twice that.

Thanks for the seeds, Sea. It's rather captivating having the world's hottest pepper and arguably the world's most potent strain (glue) in the same garden.

I went ahead and bought some goggles and breath masks for when we process these.

Last edited:

MrTea

some guy
Veteran

Pulled her outof the room for a pollination today. Many of the flowers have opened up and are producing visible pollen. You may notice what looks like white flies, but is in fact what I believe to be Edema. It is currently the only non mmj plant in my garden right now and the only plant showing these symptoms.

Non- infectious plant disorder -- Edema (Oedema)
Introduction
Edema (oedema) is a common physiological disorder affecting a number of greenhouse crops including begonia, ivy geraniums, cactus, cleome, ivy, ipomoea and annual thunbergia. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and tomato (leaves or fruit) can also suffer from this disorder. Houseplants with fleshy leaves such a jade, peperomia and schefflera may be prone to edema during favorable environmental conditions. Edema also occurs on woody plants such as camellia, hibiscus, and yew when soil is waterlogged and transpiration is impaired
Symptoms
Symptoms vary depending upon the plant species or cultivar affected. Bumps, blisters or water-soaked swellings form on the underside of leaves. These blisters are at first small, about 1 to 2 mm in diameter. They then turn tan or brown and become corky. (See photo 1) Severely affected leaves turn yellow and drop from the plant. Sometimes, stems and petioles become infected.
On certain cultivars of Ipomoea (sweet potato vine) white, crusty eruptions resembling grains of salt, develop along the leaf veins. (See photo 2) Growers may confuse these symptoms with an infectious disease. On susceptible cultivars of Cleome, tan eruptions form on the upper leaves, leaf petioles and stems. Affected leaves curl and become distorted. This disorder is also referred to as intumescence. High light, high humidity and poor air circulation is reported to encourage intumescence (Photo 3) On susceptible cultivars of thunbergia, small, tan eruptions, resembling small insect galls, form on the underside of leaves. A yellow spot may be seen on the upper surface of the leaf.
Plants with only mild symptoms of edema often recover. As soon as more favorable growing conditions occur, new growth will recover. However, some plants may be so severely infected, with significant leaf drop and distorted growth, that they will not be saleable and are best discarded.
Edema is often confused with two-spotted mite or thrips feeding damage on ivy geranium. As mites feed on ivy geraniums, the plants develop edema-like symptoms that often spread to the youngest leaves. Stippling from mite feeding is not seen on ivy geraniums. To distinguish mite feeding injury from edema, use a 10 x to 20x hand lens, to look on the underside of leaves for the two-spotted mites. (Photo 4,5,6) Edema can also be confused with thrips injury. Use a hand lens to look for the small, yellow thrips larvae on the underside of the leaves. As thrips feed upon the ivy geraniums, white scarring and leaf distortion may be noticeable, especially on the youngest leaves. (Photo 7)
Favorable Conditions
Edema is thought to be caused by an imbalance of the plant’s water uptake and water loss. It develops when the plants roots absorb water at a faster rate than it is transpired through the leaf cells. The enlarged leaf cells divide, and then rupture. This rupturing of the leaf epidermis and inner cells causes the raised blisters commonly seen on the underside of leaves.
Susceptible varieties of ivy geraniums often develop edema in the late winter or early spring. Several cultural practices may contribute to the development of this physiological disorder. Ivy geraniums are often grown in hanging baskets above benches. In many greenhouses, this is where the air is most humid with poor air circulation that reduces the plant’s transpiration rate.
Many growers use hanging baskets without saucers, so that excess water often remains in the bottom of these containers. In addition, hanging baskets are often on drip watering systems, where all plants in the same line are watered, whether or not they all need to be watered. It is easy for a few plants to be over watered.
During cool, cloudy weather conditions, humidity levels are high whereas transpiration rates are low. So, environmental conditions are ideal for edema to develop, even when growers modify their cultural practices in an attempt to prevent this disorder.
Prevention
Growers can try to prevent edema by changing some of their cultural practices. Select a growing medium that drains well. Space plants further apart so they receive more light. Keep plants on the dry side during cool, cloudy growing conditions. Water when air temperature is rising and humidity is low. Do not water susceptible varieties or crops on cloudy days.
Reduce humidity levels in the greenhouse by heating and venting in the evening and early morning. Use horizontal air flow (HAF) fans to keep air moving in the greenhouse. Place plants with similar water needs on the same irrigation line to reduce the probably of over watering.
Because ivy geraniums are so susceptible to edema, the following tips may help reduce this disorder on them.
Can't wait to finally see some peppers!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
my reapers are on the way... will plant them immed under 8 48'' fluor's... and into the garden in may, next to my ghost/trin scorp's... let the belching begin...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Second cup of camomile tea over night, then moist coffee filtres until a tail pops. Super hot seeds are nowhere near as vigorous as cannabis. Couple of different methods out there to combat that, helmethead, overall lower germination rates, etc, if you poke around.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
fan,shake, q tip...if its indoors..even did that in my greenhouses till the bees were around in spring...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's a decent bit of money to be made if you're savvy. Probably one of the next most lucrative crops after cannabis. The number of homegrown and professional pod, powder, seed and sauce suppliers has ballooned over the past decade.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran

Starting to reveg. Tping to 10 gal soon then putting in the outdoor raised beds in spring. Come harvest time it will be a year and a half old.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice, doing something similar as well. If I can only squeeze in one good harvest I want to put out an oversized plant when it warms up.

Might almost be too late to ship off, but I did manage to save a few thousand seeds of Chocolate Fatalii, TMS and Douglah 7 Pod from last year. Open pollination. I did pollinate each by hand, but without isolation and I can't guarantee someone's dog didn't jump the fence. Are free pepper seeds against TOU? :D

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Well I didn't harden my gal off back in April. Instant yellowing for a few weeks, then the hail hit her...over...and over....and over again almost killing her and thus ending my 9 month project. In the last 2 weeks she has started to bounce back to life. New green growth all over the place (she's loving the hot weather). The sun is doing well for her I 'spose and is showing new growth faster than ever before. She's gotten nothing but rain water for the past month. Topdressed her with some of this stuff today

Going to be a good harvest for the reaper this year I wager.

In a 15 gal pot

Q

quokka

I like growing vegetables and have some of these seeds but i really can't understand how anyone can 'enjoy' super hot food, it makes me feel like i need to throw up.

It's just a novelty to me.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Capsaicin is medicine. Some people don't like getting stoned yet they still smoke or eat or juice or extract it for medicinal purposes. I will be making cannabis reaper topical with this plant's fruit...........and lots of hot sauce.

Latest posts

Latest posts