What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carolina Reaper HOT Pepper

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heat will degrade both the aroma, taste, and medicinal properties of any plant. I am sure that means even scoville units.

No arguement there. I just thought it odd, as the heat didn't go above 130 to my knowledge. Capsaicin and other capsaicinoids melt at around 144F, boiling around 400F. Perhaps it was warmer in there than I thought and the floor of my oven is spicy as hell :p

Betterhaff

Veteran
I never tried a dehydrator, probably should. I usually just air dry, most of the time by stringing them up and hanging. Some peppers dry better than others doing it this way. Some get funky and some just rot, others dry very well and can keep for a long time. I dried some scorpions that way this year, they didn’t dry the best but they didn’t rot.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Wel I am beginning to wonder how light cycle affects these peppers. Both of mine are now flowering under 18/6 (one is under T5's and the other 400w hps). They broke soil back in early July.

Heres the one under the T5 that I tried cloning and now is pushing out 4 tops. I can't imagine this plant producing ANYTHING outdoors if it flowers when its only 5" tall, heh.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just wanted to share that the dried ones came out just perfect. Kept the temps low - set to dry herbs/spices - which said it was 95 degree - but was showing to be about 118 on a thermometer. Took about 30 hours in total to get some of the larger halves dried, some of the smaller halves were done in about 18 hours.

Here's the results - and it should be noted...a TINY piece..I do mean TINY - will set your mouth a blaze. Numb tongue - numb lips, running sweat and clear sinuses. Going to use these dried peppers to make some infused oils. This will be combined with coconut oil based cannabis extracts in the future to make seriously beneficial topical balms. Just learning the properties of the peppers and how to work with them for now...but I have a vision and will certainly keep working towards that end result.

These things are just UNREAL. Truly impressed and head over heels with these peppers!!!

picture.php

dank.Frank

Discorilla

I'm still growing Ghost Peppers, Habaneros, and Trinidad Scorpions.

Those Reapers don't even look like peppers! They're scary!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Capsaicin is recommended for several Rx uses and they do make prescription patches and topicals based on it - but is most often used to help treat different types of neuropathic pain ... which is exactly what I suffer from...and why I found my way to cannabis in the first place.

When I learned of the benefits to be gained from capsaicin, I naturally wanted to seek out and explore the possibilities - which lead me to growing the Carolina Reapers, specifically. Why not grow the best?!!

I know to create a stable infused oil, you can't have any water or it will spoil. So, in the name of preservation and shelf life of a topical - it only made sense to try and dry them out first - and then go from there. I think next season will see me making some capsaicin extract - much the same way we cannabis grows make BHO, but slightly different...

It'll take some playing around with and experimenting and learning what work and what doesn't - but you never figure such things out unless you try...

Anything that could possibly alleviate some pain where death, organ failure or mental instability isn't a possible side effect is worth taking the time to learn about...

dank.Frank

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I've used capsaicin in a topical rub on my back... its good shit... I'd like to try a reaper salve personally...

Anyway... on with the show... I've certainly not got any early flowering going on...

2nhp4pe.jpg

30mwpw1.jpg

sypetj.jpg

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Capsaicin is recommended for several Rx uses and they do make prescription patches and topicals based on it - but is most often used to help treat different types of neuropathic pain ... which is exactly what I suffer from...and why I found my way to cannabis in the first place.

When I learned of the benefits to be gained from capsaicin, I naturally wanted to seek out and explore the possibilities - which lead me to growing the Carolina Reapers, specifically. Why not grow the best?!!

I know to create a stable infused oil, you can't have any water or it will spoil. So, in the name of preservation and shelf life of a topical - it only made sense to try and dry them out first - and then go from there. I think next season will see me making some capsaicin extract - much the same way we cannabis grows make BHO, but slightly different...

It'll take some playing around with and experimenting and learning what work and what doesn't - but you never figure such things out unless you try...

Anything that could possibly alleviate some pain where death, organ failure or mental instability isn't a possible side effect is worth taking the time to learn about...
dank.Frank

dank...just make light of the subject, certainly not about anyone's ailments... as u say ANYTHING that can help with those $hitty side effects is worth trying..

Betterhaff

Veteran
I think you would be better off making an extract with ethanol…if you can get 99% lab/food grade. For topicals you could probably get away with 99% iso. Not sure how much capsaicin would be extracted as well as other things but it is highly soluble in alcohol. Dosage would be what would have to be experimented with. It’s also soluble in ether and benzene but alcohol might be easier to get.

I used to make pepper infused vodkas and kept them in the freezer. Didn’t have any problem with them going bad probably as a result of the alcohol and the temperature. And they never lasted that long, quite an experience doing a shot fresh from the freezer, cold going down followed by the flush of heat…and they make one hell of a Bloody.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
There's this place up in Longmont my cousin's husband helped found called the TinkerMill. Basically it's a massive warehouse where everyonbe brings their cool equipment from $50,000 3D printers to hydraulic presses to tablesaws. They have been developing a lot of inventions and have been patenting some of their work. They recently made a device that can extract essential oils from anything. It uses ethanol as the extraction agent. Basically it's an all in one extractor and vacuum purger. All parts made at the Tinker Mill, so it's 100% American parts made in Colorado (which is hard to say in this day and age). 9 patents were applied for with this machine. It's called The Source by ExtractCraft. There will be a $300 and a $600 unit. I am going to be checking it out in a month or so, but from my understanding it works well, they've been extracting oregano oil, rosemary oil, etc. Probably one of the more affordable extractors out there, considering. If it works well I'll be purchasing one if it meets my standards. Gotta support local.....

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dank...just make light of the subject

I'm with ya - and wasn't put off by your post...but at the same time, I wanted to stress that there is a LEGITIMATE medical use to capsaicin and I didn't want that to be lost in the jokes and humor.

More so than anything, I'm just sharing my journey with these peppers, much the same way I have shared my journey with cannabis... ;)

dank.Frank

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Two reapers, both under 12" tall cumulatively about 40 peppers in early flower indoors.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you don't pollinate those flowers you'll lose nearly 2/3rds of them...I had to learn that the hard way this year. Won't be making that mistake again next year!!

I could have easily had 3x as many peppers this year.

dank.Frank