What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carolina Reaper HOT Pepper

Bmac1

Veteran
This is my first year growing hot peppers and they got mixed up so I dont know exactly what there is. I have come to the conclusion that I have some hot banana peppers or Hungarian wax peppers. They look like banana peppers but have much more heat. The other one just looks sinister and I think it looks like a trinidad scorpion. Ill have to get some pics up and I also need to read about pickling as there are more than I know what to do with.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
picked one of the green reaper's... cooked on bbq, and ate with chicken...WOW... it's def a colon cleansing... and they are still green....

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Well....there are a lot of peppers...and the full sized ones are starting to finally mature.

15 months of playing the waiting game has finally paid off.:woohoo:

:peacock:

B

bigganjabud

I got some of the dorset naga,scorpion and bhut jolokia (ghost chilli)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
my reapers are now turning color... picked one last nite, cut the stinger off, and a thin slice above the stinger... ate the thin slice with some pasta... FUK it was HOT... didn't even eat the stinger... these things are way toooo hot... I think i'll dry em, and grind em and put em in a jar....next to my ghost powder that has been sitting on the counter for 2+ years untouched...

I like hot... but these things have no taste... they are just hot... I have yellow hots and carrot's also growing.. they are hot, but with taste..

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Idk.....I got a lot of taste from My reapers...granted, it is overpowered in literally 3 seconds but there is definitely a good taste there.

guineapig

Veteran
As an amusing side-note, I was listening to a culinary-themed radio show and a caller got on the air and was talking about the Carolina Reaper pepper, and I SWEAR the caller was saying "Carolina Reefer" but it must have been the poor reception.

Do you notice any animals eating the pepper, or are they all terrified at this point? Maybe just insects which have no hot-pepper receptors to overwhelm.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
As an amusing side-note, I was listening to a culinary-themed radio show and a caller got on the air and was talking about the Carolina Reaper pepper, and I SWEAR the caller was saying "Carolina Reefer" but it must have been the poor reception.

Do you notice any animals eating the pepper, or are they all terrified at this point? Maybe just insects which have no hot-pepper receptors to overwhelm.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Good question! After growing this pepper in my ganja room for 12 months before putting her outside I came back with a few conclusions regarding the aforementioned. In those 12 months I had aphids, thrips, russet mites, spider mites, and bulb mites. I was constantly treating everything...except the reaper. No pest touched the reaper in its 15 months, not even once. Meanwhile our jalapenos and habs outside have had some issues with pests this summer.Very pest resistant plant, must be its scoville rating.

Space Toker

Veteran
at some point there, hands looked like asses but forgive me for my over-active imagination, great job mr tea! I wish I could get results like that, with almost everything I fall just short. of course if I transplant there is a chance! ;) Will have to go indoor for sure as they are maybe a foot tall in 4 inch pots and turning yellow, should have transplanted weeks ago but I owe them more than just give up! You inspired me to see what can happen. (of course like 15 hot pepper plants 4 or so reapers are going to need space and don't know where to provide that) Again, great job!

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Thanks, everyone! The congratulations means a lot. It's been a long ride of 15-16 months for this gal, but feels great to finally have an end result. A greenhouse is getting built around where she is in the ground (it's already almost halfway built done). The reaper is over 3' tall and 3' wide, just keeps growing and growing. Hoping to get 50 peppers if the greenhouse gets built in time. Just extremely happy to be able to harvest these. Big shout out to Seaf0ur for gifting me the seeds in Spring of '14.

Space Toker-
I started my reaper in a 4", to a 6", to a 3 gal, to a 5 gal, to a 20 gal, to the ground. Every time before transplant I noticed weakened growth and sure enough she was almost rootbound everytime. She sure does like her leg room. After every TP it would usually take 2-3 weeks for her to bounce back. There is still hope for yours!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
today's harvest... picking a like amount almost every day... today's pickings are:
some reapers,ghost,cayenne's and lemon hots... not ripe yet are carrot peppers...
haven't even eaten any, and my ass is screaming

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 18

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
thanks... how do u guys dry em??

I don't have a food dehydrator , I usually put em on a screen in my greenhouse room and let em dry, but maybe 1/2 of them seem to rot.. same thing when I string em with thread n hang em...

I read somewhere put em in an oven at 200 degrees for many hrs..

any foolproof methods??

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
thanks... how do u guys dry em??

I don't have a food dehydrator , I usually put em on a screen in my greenhouse room and let em dry, but maybe 1/2 of them seem to rot.. same thing when I string em with thread n hang em...

I read somewhere put em in an oven at 200 degrees for many hrs..

any foolproof methods??
Dank Frank posted earlier in this thread that after trying a few options the only one that seemed to work was a food dehydrator.

blastfrompast

Veteran
This is something I want to try growing.... we do chili's and such...

But after seeing my FIL's 5ft wax pepper tree :p just loaded with peppers I think I'd like to see a tree with some heat.... He seems to have a killer location and tek nailed....

any advise...I see 15month Finishing time...so basically start them now in my growroom to finish next summer?