What's new

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

G

greenhornets

hey, thanks for this thread ! i made some budda last night . 33grams with 2.5 sticks of budda .i cooked it for 3.5 hours and then recooked it a few more times to remove some of the green color .. i cant wait to make some cookies . thanks again.

tintala

THIS IS CLARIFIED BUTTER ALSO KNOWN AS GHEE

THIS IS CLARIFIED BUTTER ALSO KNOWN AS GHEE

This recipe is the same techniqe for making ghee , an indian spread that is made from clarified butter, so this is canaghee.

B

banjobrain

mmm...cannabutter

I'll have to come back to this thread when I've got some more time!

So much to discover here on this site, it's ridiculous!

Great recipe!!!!

40 Grams of fluffy, lower shrapnel buds in 1 pound of Euro stylee butter.

175 grams (approx half the batch) of butter in 13 cookies

1.5 cookies was some strong stuff!!! I can see how eating too much could be very unpleasant.
I could barely figure out how to get the front wheel back on my bike after getting a flat in the middle of my ride. :asskick:

eta: I 'washed' the butter in hot water and let it recongeal, and the taste and smell are pretty pleasant.

OldTroll

After reading this thread and after months searching other resources there are some questions that keep bouncing around in my old head.

According to the people that vape, the psychoactive ingredients vaporize at between 180°-200°C (356°-392°F), but I don't know that this is a fact.

Most cooking instructions include adding water to the butter/product, and it seems to me that a major function of the water it to keep the butter/product temperature from exceeding 100°C (212°F). Water will keep the butter/product from scorching. This leads me to think that 200°-210° is the upper limit for effective cannabutter creation.

But what is the lower limit? We are dissolving and absorbing the active ingredients from the product, much like sugar into a glass of water. We know that the warmer the water, the faster the sugar dissolves. Stands to reason (having forgotten all of my 60 year ago high school chem. class info.) that the same would be true of dissolving THC/CBD/etc into the fat …. be faster at higher temps.

Q #1: Has anyone personally experimented with different cooking times to find the point at which no more high can be extracted? No sense in cooking 12 hours at a given temp if all the high has been dissolved after 6 hours, but even worse to stop at 4 hours if 8 are needed for max solution.

Q #2: If you keep adding sugar to that glass of water, at some point added sugar will not dissolve; the water is saturated. Does anybody know of how much product it takes to saturate the fat?

Q #3: Is vegetable fat as effective as a THC solvent and animal fat? Peanut butter is a good sub for cow’s butter.

I have just started some serious experimenting trying to find the best method for my tastes. I’ve made 3 trial batches to verify the procedure, and tomorrow I’m gonna start the evaluation for real.

When I decided to start making magic brownies a couple of months ago my wife brought home a burr-type coffee grinder for me to play with. When I grind my good quality bud in a SharpStone and then in the coffee grinder on the very fine (espresso) setting …. there is no need for me to do any straining. Brownies or peanut butter on graham crackers cover any flavor or grittiness.

I use ghee (nothing but clarified butter), fine ground bud (FGB), and an oven temp of 200°F.
I like 0.25g per dose (about what I usually load into my steamroller), and 1 teaspoon of ghee.
To make 15 doses it comes to 3.75g, so a stingy 4 grams is good. 15 tsp is the same as 5 Tablespoons.

This is a very small batch, but it will give two weeks and a day of testing. Needs to be the first high of the day and on an empty stomach to try to make it easier to evaluate.

Oven to 200°. 5 Tbl ghee in small Pyrex bowl into oven …. it’ll liquefy in a couple of minutes …. slide it out …. use oven mitts or a towel …. stir in 4 grams of FGB. Close the oven and leave the light on …. check for settling of the product … stir as needed …. at least once every minute or two. Continue for 20 minutes.

Using a calibrated horse syringe (I think that mine is a kitchen tool, maybe for injecting liquid seasoning into meat) I suck up 1½ oz (2 Tbl = 1 oz) and squirt it into a shot glass or small Chinese tea cup. Go back to stirring as needed. Next time will be in 40 minutes (one hour total cook time).

Meanwhile set this cup or glass in a pie pan of cold water. Stir the cooling butter to keep it evenly distributed. Add ice cubes to the water. Stir until it looks like its not going to settle any more. Label it “20 min/200° and put it in the refrigerator.

After it’s been 1 hour total cook time, repeat the 1.5 oz removal and cooling procedure. Repeat a 3, 9, and 12 total cooking time.

Since 1 Tbl equals 3 tsp, there are now three doses from each cooking duration.

Test method: First thing in the morning …. take one graham cracker, broken into halves and spread about one tablespoon of peanut butter on one half, spread one teaspoon of cannaghee on this, and then top with the other half cracker. Wash this down with a small glass of vitamin D milk …. the fat will help transport the active ingredients from my digestive tract to my head. Don't eat or drink anything else for an hour and a half or so .... and no smoking either ..... need to take notes.

If I’m get too stoned to write a coherent log, then I’ll just have to repeat the evaluation over and over until I get it right.

The next experiment will be the same except hopefully the time can be a little more focused and I will include the peanut butter in the cook cycle.

Any input or ideas will be appreciated. I’m a very slow learner without a lot of outside help.

G

greenhornets

made some butter . i put 1 and a half oz( skunk x haze ) into 2 sticks of butter . i ended up with alittle more than 1 stick of butter. then i took 3 balls of iso hash ( IT WAS GOOEY) then melted that in a 1/4 stick of butter .
i used betty crocker chocolate chip cookies ,it calls for 1 stick of butter .
all i have to say is ,it was way toooooo much . the old lady slept for 2 days off 1 cooky. i only had 12 cookies total . i think it was the iso that put it over the top .
this is really a grat recipe ......THANKS !!!!!

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Very nice example....

Has anyone ever seen "Gourmet Cooking with MJ"? Check it out for some high-end dishes made with "Megabutter"...haha. "Hans" and "Hans" even show you how to make a scallop dish using hash butter. :lurk:

OldTroll

cannaghee

cannaghee

A few days ago I cooked the ghee and bud pretty much as described a couple of posts back. Cooked 5.1g of fine ground bud in 150ml of ghee at 250° in the oven. Used a 250ml Pyrex measuring cup.

At 1, 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 10 hours I poured an estimated 10ml (2 tsp) into 1 oz solo cups. Ended up with 17 cups in the freezer.

So far it appears that the peak effectiveness is probably less than five hours. Next time I’ll get it narrowed down a little more. It’s really hard to do good evaluation while stoned …. but I’ll keep trying.

OT

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
I used a half ounce of S.A.G.E.....not shakey, I mean buds. Is that why my butter came out a little greener than I hoped for? I simmered it for 3 hours between 170F and 190F....looked perfect in the pan...but what I strained out was sort of green.

I can't try it until tomorrow....suspense is killing me.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Mkay....I made 2 sticks with a half of my sage, used one stick to make 14 cookies....I ate 4. Shit's starting to get wierd....it's really wierd. I'm a really seasoned smoker....this feels narcotic. Uhhh, I don't think it mattered that my butter is sort of green either. I smoke a lot of silk screen hash, scissor balls....never cooked with canna. What was I waiting for? This is great...thanks for the recipe. :bigeye:

Ribsauce

yea i just used this last night for the first time and i woke up this morning to a heaping tub of beautiful cannabutter... this thread is awesome

G0d5hand

Hey guys, I have about 3/4 vape left overs and an 1/8 of dull weed. Think I am gonna used one lb of butter. Just about to finish uni, and wanna get so high. Making butter tonight and hopefully cooking it thursday. Best part is one of my friends is a gourmet cook, and hes gonna make some desserts for us. Just wanted to add in to gain more opinions of experiences. Will report after.

N

NinoBrown420

I personally disagree that one must use twice the amount of cannabis for cooking as one would for eating...but I stress that I believe dosage is highly subjective from person to person,depending on body weight and other factors.I find that I need not consume more than a dosage equivalent to .3 or .4 when eating cannabis...which is pretty much the same as I would smoke in one sitting,possibly less.When it comes to dosage,I recommend you start light and gradually work your way up to a tolerable level that you find enjoyable (consider yourself warned,consuming cannabis orally can be unforgiving if you overdose...sleepytime with a strong weed hangover is what awaits if you're not careful).I recommend eating the cookies/brownies/whatever on an empty stomach,although I believe it would be better not to make them your first meal of the day,you'll want to have gotten your metabolism going by processing other food..Effects can be felt within 30 minutes to 2 hours,and can last many hours,depending on dosage.I've even fallen asleep and woken up several hours later still noticeably high!The principles of this particular recipe seem sound,but here is the recipe I use,straight out of Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes.

Heat 1.5 L of water,add 1 pound of butter,and up to 112 grams of marijuana.Bring the said mixture to a boil and then simmer on low heat for two hours,stirring occasionally(I do it every 10-15 minutes).Strain through a colander(of the mesh-screen variety),pressing the wet foliage to get all the butter out.Pour .5 L of boiling water over the wet leaf to wash out all remaining butter.Again press the leaves to get all the liquid out.Simple and EFFECTIVE!!!

I usually brew up batches using 1 cup of butter (the amount most commonly used in most cookie recipes) with 8.5 grams of high grade buds...Jorge states that about 80% of the cannabinoids from the leaf will be absorbed by the butter,so i try to dose it so the butter will hold the equivalent of exactly 7 grams worth of THC.I then bake either 28 really big cookies,or 42 smaller cookies...the bigger ones having the equivalent to .25 gs of bud,the smaller ones around .18.Different strains definitely make for drastically different experiences,so don't let one bad experience put you off on eating cannabis.

green grower

not much for laws either fuck thieves kill the fuckers besdt mates girl had a crew steel my crop 2 weeks into veg clones too where the fuck are there heads at gren grower learnin the hard way:fsu:

Sister Sara

Thank you so much for posting this, OP. :) Great way to stretch out your bud, and use leaves as well.

I made some last night. 3.5 grams of freshly dried bud (mids) to 2 oz butter. Used something like 32 oz. of water. (This was a regular pot like you would heat one can of beans in.) Simmered on the hot plate on low for 3 hours, cooled in fridge for 10 hours.

Gave my 67 year old Mom some on a piece of toast this morning. She had eaten breakfast already, so it wasn't on an empty stomach. In 40 minutes, everything we saw or talked about cracked her up. It was great. :) After 20-30 minutes of that, she was so high...she actually took a trip around the world, all without ever leaving her easy chair. She would wake up every minute or so, and ask me what all countries she just visited. Then after about 20 minutes of that, she asked for a bucket. She kept her head hung over it for maybe 1.5 hours. Never threw up, though. After that, she got to where she would accept food, and I got her to eat a piece of toast, an ice cream sandwich, and a Dr. Pepper.

7 hours have passed since she ate the canna butter, and she is still feeling the effects, still having trouble keeping her train of thought, keeping on subject during conversation.

The dose I had given her on toast was about 1 tablespoon. From this experience, I have concluded that she should get about one fourth of that instead (3/4 teaspoon).

This stuff is potent as hell. With a dose of 3/4 teaspoon of this butter once a day, 2 oz of this canna butter is going to last my Mom for 2 weeks. That's 3.5 grams of dry bud for two weeks, 1/4 of a gram of bud each day. Sh*t, even less than that, with trim.

Potent as hell! :sasmokin:

P.S.
I did tell her that it was canna butter before she ate it, lol.

T

turtle farmer

we're trimming as we speak----2k watt room-
we're gonna make some right now!!!!!!!!
SisterSara-you made my crew fall off their stools,
I read your post outloud--we take mom on trips also--tooooo funny--thanx 4 that
we'll let you all know how this first time butter attempt goes
peace
TF

dmoose

Tinctures, Firecrackers & CannaButter

Tinctures, Firecrackers & CannaButter

:canabis:I am a recent Michigan Medical Marihuana Card Holder, and suffer with Chronic Pain, Chronic Fatigue, and other symptoms of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I have been experimenting with Tinctures, Firecrackers & CannaButter since my 1st Harvest because smoking doesnt help so much with the Pain aspect. I have to thank Everyone who has contributed to this thread, because there is so many different directions, recipes, personal experiences, dosages......etc. It was great to find so much information and experience's in one place! So much so, that I felt I needed to put my experiences here for other newbies to draw from, so hopefully their first experience will be easy and pleasant.

I first baked a 2 person sized brownie with just adding about 1.5g Keif. This was a terrific experience, although the taste was not the greatest, and was actually hard to eat the other one the next day. Next I tried Blueberry Muffins with about the same amout of Keif, but for some reason it didnt work as well.

When I found the Green Dragon Recipe, I tried it with some recently dried buds, I dont recomend using any Diesel strains cause they kind of taste like they smell... hehehehe. The only problem with small batches of tinctures is that when you finally figure out the dosage, its time to make a new batch, and dosing starts all over. I tried boiling hash in Everclear, but forgot to carbolize it, and it didnt turn out very potent. I do plan on trying a batch of Green Dragon with a small amount of ground up Bud, and crumbled up hash. I will carbolize it first in the oven at 200 degrees for aprox 20 min, carefully suspending the hash off of the aluminum foil by the ground buds. And this time I will boil off alot more of the Everclear to make it more potent, so less is needed. I am considering mixing it with a dab of honey to calm the effects of the Alcohol so I can try dosing under the tongue.

Now to the CannaButter! This is a must for Everyone who wants/needs to try eating cannabis. Once you have read thru this thread, you have alot of people's recipes and experiences to draw from, so pick one that suits your situation. But YOU MUST try it! It WORKS GREAT! And I think we are just starting to find out the Additional Health Benefits of Eating Cannabis. I just pray that Ricky Simpson is on to something.

I recomend re-boiling the butter with fresh water atleast 1 time to wash it, and also re-boiling the leaf with new water, and squeeze it out good, I believe the butter has obsorbed into the leaf, and the better you press, the more butter you will retain.

Thanks for letting me contribute!:wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts