What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna Boost V Molasses - side by side comparison.

Tierra Rojo

I use a lot of Kimitec products. At least what they sell in the states. The rep from American Clayworks who is the U.S. distributor recently passed me a bottle of a new product they are bringing in called Betallion. All their shit is spelled wrong it's from Spain. I love all their vinasse based products. Espertan, Bombadier, Amifort. All awesome. He claims that Canna Bio is all based on Kimitec technology. The betallion product is "canna boost". He says there is no tria in it. The secret he says is phototrophic bacteria. The same stuff they use in sewage treatment plants. Just what I was told. Kimitec is made for field agriculture and the use rates and cost are unreal. I use most at 1-2 ml per gallon. Go get it. Stuff has changed a lot for us. We have ran side by sides in big rooms against canna bio n Bio bizz and kimitec cost waaaay less. Like less than 1/4 the cost and blew them away.

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey Tiera Rojo, thanks fore the heads up on that Kimitec just googel it and they have some nice products...

Did that Sales rep give u any nute chart that was tailor to cannabis or how do u use it...

Also Vinasse is a product i fore long time wanted to get my hands on to use in my nute formulations

Regarding that Triacontanol, what i found is that u need to foliar spray it at low ppm to harvest the effect so adding it to a product that most pepol water into there medium off choice, seam point less.

Idk if sale reps tell the truth but he could be right that canna boost contains phototrophic bacteria, but would that be the main boost ingredient...

Also saying that Canna use kimitec technology is just a rep talking, fermenting and hydolyse is old school and used in many industri applications, but they may use the same formulations, i think most off them (Canna, biobizz ect) work pretty simila.

I got some german made organic fertilizer 3-3-6 that they use in greenhouse growing, and that also look very identical to canna bio line.
That is made from fermented fishbone meal and Algea plus molasse, but that is a hole other ball game, rant off sorry guys

I use a lot of Kimitec products. At least what they sell in the states. The rep from American Clayworks who is the U.S. distributor recently passed me a bottle of a new product they are bringing in called Betallion. All their shit is spelled wrong it's from Spain. I love all their vinasse based products. Espertan, Bombadier, Amifort. All awesome. He claims that Canna Bio is all based on Kimitec technology. The betallion product is "canna boost". He says there is no tria in it. The secret he says is phototrophic bacteria. The same stuff they use in sewage treatment plants. Just what I was told. Kimitec is made for field agriculture and the use rates and cost are unreal. I use most at 1-2 ml per gallon. Go get it. Stuff has changed a lot for us. We have ran side by sides in big rooms against canna bio n Bio bizz and kimitec cost waaaay less. Like less than 1/4 the cost and blew them away.

Dkgrower

Veteran
fermenting tofu shouldnt be too hard with this barley enzyme.

is there a simple process for extracting the particular enzyme/s?

im not sure boost has molasses in at all, unless it eventually stops fermenting?

im currently using both and the buds are HUGE, but not all the way down.

Hey EF, barley enzymes is very easy to make if u got the time and space, just sprout barley and then mash em with alittel water, goolge it and u will understand how easy it is...

The trick and this u have to read up on and that is, the diff enzymes will work "best" at diff temperatures, here is a link, in the articel u see a chart, fig 3.

http://www.biokemi.org/biozoom/issues/522/articles/2368

The easy way is just to use pond enzymes then u can skip the barley sprouting.

Also any high protein source will do, so tofu ect will work

Mrminster

Hey Tierra i was also curious about your use of kimitec products. Did a bunch of research on there offerings and really like what I am seeing. Just had a few questions. What media are you using? Do you use only kimitec in your gardens or just there additives and boosters. They seem like some of the best unknown organic stuff out there but not sure if a formulation using only there products would be sufficient. I am currently using canna coco and canna's complete coco line of nutes. Would like to find something more cost effective and also would like to go organic. Thanks Tierra.

Hey EF, barley enzymes is very easy to make if u got the time and space, just sprout barley and then mash em with alittel water, goolge it and u will understand how easy it is...

The trick and this u have to read up on and that is, the diff enzymes will work "best" at diff temperatures, here is a link, in the articel u see a chart, fig 3.

Nice one!

Ill do just that, any way to cut one product off my list is a win!

Nice one!

Ill do just that, any way to cut one product off my list is a win!

Dkgrower

Veteran
High High, ER good that u have the power to try something out, u always learn by trying.

Pls let us know how it turn out fore u.

Some tips, regarding the hole process.

U want the finished solution to be clear, proteins that have not been hydrolysed will make the solution cloudy.

There are many tip in beer brewering u can use to make aminoacid solution.

Regarding starting materiale u want some thing that has a high content proteins

Biobizz use soya cake, that oil has been removed

Advanced Nuts use Whey protein

Kimitec use amino acid producing bacteria that ferment molasse, i am starting to think this is what canna has some 1 to do fore them.

If 1 can find what kind off amio acid that canna has i the boost then u can figur it what kind off process they use and what starting materiale

Bom shiva

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran

Very interesting. Kimitec looks like they put alot of research into their products. Like Aptus they base their products on molybdenum. Couldnt find any Si products tho. I really would like to try the Rhinö and
Bombardier or Vital. Im in the EU and cant find any shops that carry it. Might have to ask for a few samples. Are they pricey like aptus?

Stay Safe

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Hey Tierra i was also curious about your use of kimitec products. Did a bunch of research on there offerings and really like what I am seeing. Just had a few questions. What media are you using? Do you use only kimitec in your gardens or just there additives and boosters. They seem like some of the best unknown organic stuff out there but not sure if a formulation using only there products would be sufficient. I am currently using canna coco and canna's complete coco line of nutes. Would like to find something more cost effective and also would like to go organic. Thanks Tierra.

I second those questions as i am also using Coco as my medium and Canna nutes.

Stay Safe

Tierra Rojo

I also run coco. Bennies love this stuff. All but all products have boro n moly for obvious reasons. They act like appetizers for the plants. All nutrients are absorbed in a specific order. Boro. Then moly calcium n so on. It's a great strategy that you can see a being done by most of the nute companies that do actual research and are on the "cutting edge". Kimitec, aptus, heavy 16, new millenium. All doing it. It's the new hot shit. I use bombardier bombardier sugar espartan amifort rhyzo and the 1 gallon of betallion the came to the states. They offer a few others but they are redundant in my system. Stuff is crazy cost effective. It's designed for field agriculture and therefore has a super low application rate. We never use more than 3ml of any of their products. We run a very low ec salt diet n lots of teas n kimitec n other things. Works well in a 850 light facility. Cheap and effective. I actually havent found a better way to do it. Amifort is badass mofo. Best aminos I've come across. Everything lacks cal mag and potassium. They do make supplements for that but I get it elsewhere.

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Awesome T.
Do they provide any sort of feeding programs for their products and do they recommend certain combinations for different mediums? Its pretty hard to find much info on Google. From looking at their site it seems alot of their products have similar use and effects. Do they offer complete base nutrients as well?

Stay Safe

Zoolander

Ran canna coco for I think 6 years and molasses can't hold a candle to Boost but together they are insane and produce to stickyest bud ever with such a nice taste and burn after proper flush and cure. just don't use molasses to early at a large amount and you will love the out come and also not every time you water in flower. I start to use it around week 5 on a 9 weeker at a heavy teaspoon per gallon with Boost at 8 ml a gallon but 6 ml of boost will work fine and save you some $ over time . I hear people all the time say Boost is not worth the money but trust me I wouldn't still be using it if not . Like they say ya gotta pay to play truth

Wow, what a read...
Thank you HazyLady, I'm gobsmacked...:)
...and thanks to all those who added to the conversation.
I'll be adding molasses to my current coco grow, which is currently at 26 days into flowering.
Happy Oily Farming...

Conclusions side by side............... A lot of this regulars will know/have read some of this, so for anyone else jumping to the end, I will be repeating myself a little.

First, the final weights, this is the weight after 4 weeks dry/cure, the top 24 inches of each stem was taken, popcorn left out of the weights, only the cured bud. I just want to point out a couple of things relevant to the weights.
Although I tried to ensure all things were even, using similar sized, same age cuttings etc, I found allowing the plants to grow multi stems didn't help me at all, for instance the A's, the control, 1 plant grew 3 average sized stems but oddly 2 of these stems grew with less bud, more gaps than on other plants. And the other A plant, it grew one huge cola that luckily weighed around 20+ grammes, it had a pair of smaller than average stems, without the larger cola the A's would have been lower. All in all and balancing in my head how much bud is 'missing' and the extra from the one stem, I think I would have seen 2, 3 or 4 grammes more if it wasn't for this anomaly.
I should also mention the C - Molasses plants, they were smaller all round for some reason?, it could be just sheer chance that the C's ended this way, who know's? but as both C's were equally small I can't rule out this was caused by the Molasses?. This is one of reasons I will run this again. This is how they add up +/- 1g
Group A total = 68g
Group B total = 81g
Group C total = 72g
Group D total = 78g

So it seems that on this occasion the Canna Boost has indeed 'boosted' the crop, while this was a side by side comparison between the boosting effects (not the microbe feeding side organic growers use molasses for) of Blackstrap Molasses and Canna Boost, this was also in part to see what effect (if any) Canna Boost had on our favourite plants.
I have seen an increase in the final yield without a doubt, taking into account what I have just said regarding the control and would say on average you could hope to see an increase of around 5g on 30g plant, in % terms around just on 17%, not too shabby!, I am certain it would easily reach 20% when it's fully dialed in, in particular the amount of Molasses for coco, and the ratio of Boost to Molasses needs working out.

The weight is only half the story, it is also only half of the claim from Canna, they say the smells/tastes of fruits and flowers will improve!, again I have to agree with them, all through this grow, the 4 plants receiving Boost have had stronger richer scent's with a better range of aromas expressed. I have to say they have improved with the cure no end, the buds from these groups are slippy when broken open, they have a nice resiny, waxy feel, they smoke beautifully, full flavoured smooth smoke, the B's have a more fuelly scent but still the fruit is always detectable.

The D's have a more balanced flavour, they are just that much nicer in every way, I said before but it is quite similar to the Boost fed buds but with a sweeter, softer smell and taste, still full flavoured, the softening/sweetening has not taken anything away, far from it!. I can only say it is like it has cream added, a B bud with cream, and everything tastes better with a drop of cream, :D it is a warmer smell, does that make sense?, like vanilla! that is a warm scent, if that helps?.

I half expected the D's to be a bit firmer bud than the Boost only (B's), If you recall the C's - Molasses had the firmest buds, they cured quicker, got a sort of chewy quality as the buds parts fused together very soon after chopping, I assumed the sugar from the Molasses caused this? I imagined the D's being fed both Boost and Molasses would have the benefits the B's have - better size, aroma and taste - with this 'chewiness' the C's exhibit. I have not found this to be the case, the D's are very very similar to the B's. Softer than the other 2 groups.
The C's are the firmest of the buds.
The A's are the 2nd firmest of the groups and the B's and D's are really about equal as I just mentioned.

The C's are very nice buds and not lacking in anything apart from the size, the early curing I saw is no bad thing, it is a positive plus for those who can't keep their hands out of the cookie, sorry mason jar!, it hasn't changed much from the last time I spoke about the smokes and again leads me to believe the cure is indeed quicker, the buds are more sweet than sour, none of the fuel side but lots of fruit, leaves a very nice taste on your palette, I am sure this is from the sugar.

The A's despite lacking as powerful a smell or taste have still turned into some very nice potent smoke, I am in no doubt the A's are the least tasty but in a way it helped judge the various potencies, a couple of weeks ago I noticed after smoking an A sample I would end up grinding my back teeth as I came to my senses I said at the time it was just in front in the potency stakes. I think now I can say for sure what is what on this score, I found it easier to concentrate on the A high more than the other groups and think the lack of flavour has a lot to do with this, it just seems so much easier to focus on the high

B and D are more heady high's, I don't know if the additive can alter ratio's of THC's CBD's etc, but there is a definite difference, they were almost ready to go amber, the B'and D's and had been cloudy a while compared to the others, you would imagine the further along the more of a body hit but it isn't the case, or it is a stronger 'head high' still being cloudy overall? I do feel them(B&D) more in my head thats all I am certain of.

By now all the buds are full strength and about as strong as they are going to get, all make me bite my back teeth to a degree so none stands out as the A did, I have wondered if the A having less additives to break down got this side finished quickest, reached full strength first?
For me the C was the quickest to cure, or so I thought, it just felt done, looked cured after only 10 days or so, and I must say tasted further along too!, things just don't go the obvious way, like the D's I just spoke of, not having the chewy quality I found in the C's. All in all, they are bloody hard to keep track of when they are still changing from the cure but still pretty much the same bud!, but I think I am there. :xmasnut:

I would say the D's are my favourite all round, whenever I have smoked these buds without taking notes for this thread, I smoked D buds. I did say at the start of this I was using both Boost & Molasses and wasn't sure if I needed to add either or any?, I guess there must be a certain degree of familiarity swaying me to prefer these buds as the mum grew on the D diet. But I am convinced all the more by these tests. I am sure the D's are the all round best buds, I would have to say the B's are next because they are very similar to the D's then C's in 3rd place, A's obviously last, the A's don't lose out on potency just not as nice to smell or taste, the leaf and calyx are 'thinner', dryer if you like, you do notice the twig more when you open one up.
Putting the B 2nd, If I had to choose in order of my own favourite smoke from the 4, I think I would choose a C's after the D's, the B is too like the D and I would want something a little further away, I do like the C's a lot, nothing wrong with Molasses as I see except the size issue, but as that could be improved and/or was just chance I had 2 small clones?, then it can be a great cheap addition to a growers nutrient stocks.
For this reason I would say both Canna Boost and Molasses can be of benefit, in the simplest terms ( my forte :)) You could hope to add around 20% to the total yield without any other changes, using Canna Boost. Actually, If you check I use Boost @ around 1/2 Canna's recommendations so maybe I am underestimating?.
You can improve the scents & tastes of your flowers quite dramatically too, it really does improve the final quality of the bud, they have a waxy, resiny feel, they feel smooth when broken compared to an A that feels twiggy, sticky by comparison, I am in no doubt about this.
Using Molasses certainly helps bring the sweet side of these buds at the least, it has produced a very different bud than the control, both are quite firm buds but taken apart they are black and white, the control A's you just run your finger nail backwards down the stem and calyx and leaves pop off, clean as a whistle, it is impossible to do that with a C, they are stuck together in a way you either pick it apart or use scissors, it doesn't stick to you but to itself. The Molasses seems to sweeten the smoke, or maybe highlights the sweet part is better, I don't taste much fuel in these buds and there is a real fruit to these, very nice, very full bodied smoke, they don't lack for missing the fuel side though.

Boost in combination with Molasses, this has turned out to be the best of both worlds, these plants have every benefit of the Boost with the sweetening effect of the Molasses on the final product, I said earlier I need to find the ideal Molasses amounts and none more so than for the D's, I had imagined these to be the best yielding group and wonder if extra Molasses could up the weight?, I will know after a test or two more, the D's are only a few grammes light anyway and have a nicer, rounder, creamier taste that makes up for a little shortfall.

If you prefer it in a table?
Best Yielding
1, Group B - Canna Boost
2, Group D - Canna Boost & Molasses
3, Group C - Molasses
4, Group A - Control

Best Bud,- best scent/taste/smoke.
1, Group D
2, Group B
3, Group C
4, Group A

So finally.....................
There really is quite a difference in the Boost fed buds smell and taste, however, if this was the only improvement I think the cheaper Molasses would produce different but equally improved flowers, on this occasion on the sweet side I couldn't say if this is always the case with Molasses, If you want to improve the yield and the taste it looks like Boost is the way to go. ( or a.n.other Booster)
I believe a blend of the two, Booster & Molasses really could work wonders. I am sure 17% is the least you should expect and as I said I am using 1/2 recommend doses, you could get a lot more?.

If you have a grow pretty well dialed in and getting regular even results it could be well worth trying, I would make sure everything is growing right first or you could waste a lot of cash though. All things considered, if I was to sell my flowers, I could say the Boost and the Molasses have more than paid for themselves.

Thanks for reading :wave:.

BUMP :)

Very interesting stuff. I have noticed a huge difference in my soil grows, using canna bio-boost. The increase in flavor, smell and resin production makes it well worth the price.

Joaltman88

The Canna-Boost seems a little expensive, it costs $400 or more a gallon, I have used it, as well as StartBoost, and Golden Tree and I did not notice any difference between the 3. Golden Tree is 1/2 the price of Canna Boost at http://HumboldtsSecret.com and it seems to be the best price for what I got.

LEDev

a Trick for getting cheaper canna boost is to order it from the UK , for 5Liters your looking at $280-$300 with shipping and will do around 48plants ( based on about 2l / plant day )