What's new

Canada to decriminalize hard drugs in pilot study

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr's are def part of the problem.. I'm disabled and use cannabis for daily pain relief. When my back goes out and can't function I use pain medication on my bad days.. I've had a few Drs tell me I can't use Cannabis and pain meds. They think Cannabis is stronger than opiates(dumbasses). They kept telling me to get a drug test for weed or they won't refill my pain meds. They wanted me to be on higher doses of pain meds. I had plenty of arguments about how stupid that is. It took a while to find a Dr that understood the different uses and never had me test for weed.

Somatek

The so-called Opioid Epidemic is 100% a product of the medical/criminal industry.

They made money prescribing too much.

Then realized that people were just staying home & taking their medications - and not going to the "doctor" and spending money.
That's pretty delusional thinking, pharma profits are rising faster then most other industries. The health care system has been working at over capacity to the point staff burn out is causing staffing shortages and forcing ER rooms to close. You're assumptions are baseless and entirely wrong which brings us to this idiocy...
The biggest concern of the medical/criminal industry is declines in their own revenues.

That's why Sicko's like the Boston Children's Hospital are so busy doing plastic surgery on the genitals of children. Because that's a $100,000+ operation.
That's just plain bigoted to hide your own insecurities brought out by non conforming people having the freedom to live their lives free of your absurd, irrational and idiotic opinions about them. There is no gay agenda, the gays have no interest in you or your kids unless your kids are also gay at which point there's a clear need to protect them from your bigoted, wrong opinions. If you have issues with your sexuality or gender, work it out, if you have issues with other peoples sexuality or gender the you can get THE FUCK OVER YOURSELF you condescending troglodyte; no one cares about your bigoted opinion accept other bigots who are just as irrelevant. The rest of of just look down at you with pity that you're so broken and focus on supporting minorities who face oppression from the majority. Whether it's pot, gender, sexuality, race or any other minority vs the majority; only losers conform to authoritarian values based on inherited cultural/religions/social values instead of thinking for themselves.

It's particularly comical you so triggered about it that you felt the need to bring gender politics into a completely unrelated thread about hard drug decriminalization as a harm reduction strategy to cope with the rampant fentanyl poisonings caused by a tainted supply. You're personal bias contradicts the current medical info which is why it's ignored more and more consistently. You have issues dude, more concerning then any stories you've blown out of context to validated you bigoted opinions.

Rider420

I love how Narcs get so mad. Try using drugs I hear smoking a joint helps. What's the matter your not allowed? KARMA in action.

Ca++

Free drugs. What's not to like. If the health care services are dishing it out for free, it must be better for us than cannabis, which costs money.
It's a no brainer. I have to get me some of this tested heroin. There are comedown pills now. How much safer could it be?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'd like to see pharmaceutical grade LSD hitting the streets.

I'm not sure more junkies dying in the ditch is as much of a sign of an enlightened society, but if that's what it is then I need to see some noncartel coke and actually clean acid before I can say we're making better decisions.

I don't think anyone is going about sourcing legitimate methods of supplying drugs to users, just letting them continue to turn the wheels on the cartel machine without getting in legal trouble.

I hope I am wrong.

therevverend

Veteran
Dr's are def part of the problem.. I'm disabled and use cannabis for daily pain relief. When my back goes out and can't function I use pain medication on my bad days.. I've had a few Drs tell me I can't use Cannabis and pain meds. They think Cannabis is stronger than opiates(dumbasses). They kept telling me to get a drug test for weed or they won't refill my pain meds. They wanted me to be on higher doses of pain meds. I had plenty of arguments about how stupid that is. It took a while to find a Dr that understood the different uses and never had me test for weed.
Here in Washington the governor basically banned pain meds to fight the opiate epidemic. You can get one prescription, 10 days worth, with no refills. It sounds like a good idea, opiates are bad, until you get fucked up and need them. I got shingles right after the ban came into effect. The shingles lasted 2 months because I have a compromised immune system. They gave me a 10 day supply and that was it. I couldn't function, had to lie in my chair not moving, until it hurt so bad I had to move. But moving hurt even worse so I went back to not moving. Couldn't do my laundry, couldn't cook dinner. I needed the opiates, not to get loaded but to function. Well, I would have gotten loaded too but I needed it.

Similar thing happened to my tree trimmer buddy last spring. Fell out of a tree and broke his neck. Got ten days worth of the weak stuff when he needed a couple months worth of morphine. He's fucked himself up before, broke his back a couple times and his collar bone. Each time he got enough dope to function but he has no interest in becoming a junky. He used to be an alcoholic, stopped drinking a couple years back. Had to go through that shit with no pain meds but managed not to relapse. I'm proud of him.

How has the banning of pain pills worked out? The streets are flooded with fentanyl. Heroin has nearly disappeared, it's very hard to find. It's all fentanyl and there's more overdoses then ever. Because all the pill junkies are now using pills from the streets instead of shit from the corrupt doctors. They press the fentanyl using pill presses that make them look like xanax, vicodin, morphine, oxycodone, or whatever. The pill junkies think they're getting the same pills they used to get. Until they overdose and die. Banning a substance doesn't work the way it seems like it would work, there's always unexpected outcomes and chaos. The cartels get rich, kids die.

St. Phatty

Here in Washington the governor basically banned pain meds to fight the opiate epidemic. You can get one prescription, 10 days worth, with no refills. It sounds like a good idea, opiates are bad, until you get fucked up and need them. I got shingles right after the ban came into effect. The shingles lasted 2 months because I have a compromised immune system. They gave me a 10 day supply and that was it. I couldn't function, had to lie in my chair not moving, until it hurt so bad I had to move. But moving hurt even worse so I went back to not moving. Couldn't do my laundry, couldn't cook dinner. I needed the opiates, not to get loaded but to function. Well, I would have gotten loaded too but I needed it.

Similar thing happened to my tree trimmer buddy last spring. Fell out of a tree and broke his neck. Got ten days worth of the weak stuff when he needed a couple months worth of morphine. He's fucked himself up before, broke his back a couple times and his collar bone. Each time he got enough dope to function but he has no interest in becoming a junky. He used to be an alcoholic, stopped drinking a couple years back. Had to go through that shit with no pain meds but managed not to relapse. I'm proud of him.

How has the banning of pain pills worked out? The streets are flooded with fentanyl. Heroin has nearly disappeared, it's very hard to find. It's all fentanyl and there's more overdoses then ever. Because all the pill junkies are now using pills from the streets instead of shit from the corrupt doctors. They press the fentanyl using pill presses that make them look like xanax, vicodin, morphine, oxycodone, or whatever. The pill junkies think they're getting the same pills they used to get. Until they overdose and die. Banning a substance doesn't work the way it seems like it would work, there's always unexpected outcomes and chaos. The cartels get rich, kids die.

Try California Poppy Seeds, Raw & Unwashed. AKA "Papaver Somniferum".

I have a DEA factoid about their war on, literally, poppy seeds.

Theoretically the seeds are not supposed to contain Morphine & Codeine. The Morphine & Codeine are on the surface of the seed.

The "Danish Flag" strain of poppies is low enough in opiates that the DEA allows it to be sold.

The leaves are EXTREMELY tasty - like Butter lettuce, in the shape of Romaine lettuce.

If Poppies were widely grown, the Medical-Criminal Industry in the US would lose 50%+ of their revenues.

The DEA exists only to protect the Monopoly of a Criminal Group !

Somatek

I'm not sure more junkies dying in the ditch is as much of a sign of an enlightened society, but if that's what it is then I need to see some noncartel coke and actually clean acid before I can say we're making better decisions.

I don't think anyone is going about sourcing legitimate methods of supplying drugs to users, just letting them continue to turn the wheels on the cartel machine without getting in legal trouble.

I hope I am wrong.
You are wrong, if you read the health canada web page about our "safe supply" program it details a range of drug interventions doctors can prescribe as well as other health services, housing support or employment services where appropriate. The program is designed so doctors can take a holistic approach to tackling the intersectional issues around addiction including mental health, poverty, lack of housing, lack of employment, etc. You're assumption it's just making more junkies die in the streets is pure ignorance and a reflection of your bias contrary to the facts of what's happening.

Somatek

Which is why Canada isn't following the dysfunctional model in the states but has sued pharma corps for their irresponsible over marketing of oxy and we have systems in place to separate politics from medical decisions, with provincial bodies making the rules instead of premiers. Which is also why Canada is pursuing more progressive harm reductions programs nationally like safe injection sites, safe supply programs and decriminalizing supposedly "hard" drugs. You're anecdote illustrates exactly why that's important, statistically men (specifically men in the trades) are the most likely to end up as opiate addicts because of the nature of the work. Working as a roofer is what ruin my back and is also a trade that makes the issue clear as a good chunk (if not the majority) of roofers I've worked with use opiates to get through the day.

Somatek

Free drugs. What's not to like. If the health care services are dishing it out for free, it must be better for us than cannabis, which costs money.
It's a no brainer. I have to get me some of this tested heroin. There are comedown pills now. How much safer could it be?
It's pretty funny the counter arguments are based on hyperbole like this instead of actual logical arguments. Docs are more likely to prescribe pot for pain now over opiates in Canada, which is often free (I know a couple people in unions that get their med pot free each month despite not having a DIN). The safe supply programs are geared to protecting marginalized addicts from profiteering cartels exploiting prohibition by giving them a clean, safe supply of opiates/benzo's/uppers or whatever the doc feels is most appropriate to prescribe based on their needs. The two have nothing to do with one another and your comment just illustrates your ignorance about the subject.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
You are wrong, if you read the health canada web page about our "safe supply" program it details a range of drug interventions doctors can prescribe as well as other health services, housing support or employment services where appropriate. The program is designed so doctors can take a holistic approach to tackling the intersectional issues around addiction including mental health, poverty, lack of housing, lack of employment, etc. You're assumption it's just making more junkies die in the streets is pure ignorance and a reflection of your bias contrary to the facts of what's happening.

Safer supply doesn't prescribe cocaine or LSD and certainly has nothing to do with sourcing either from pharmaceutical production.

nono_fr

In France they deliver Skenan(lp) for pain - what is skenan ? it is morphine - https://www.gmedication.com/?s=skenan lp
Skenan LP is an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic.
Skenan LP is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Short-acting Skenan LP is taken as needed for pain.
The extended-release form of this medicine is for around-the-clock treatment of pain. This form of Skenan LP is not for use on an as-needed basis for pain.
Skenan LP is not for treating short-term pain just after surgery unless you were already taking Skenan LP before the surgery.
Skenan LP may also be used for purposes not listed in Skenan LP guide.
but it is very regulated, the pharmacist notes the name of the person . But french doctor deliver morphine against pain .

Rider420

I hope I am wrong.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. Fanatics will never learn that, though it be written in letters of gold across the sky. It is the prohibition that makes anything precious”

In other words my drugs booze and tobacco are legal and ok but your drugs are illegal and evil!
FYI booze and tobacco kill 10 million people per year where as illicit drugs kill about half a million per year mostly due to a toxic drug supply.

BTW a safe legitimate supply is the goal perhaps you should read https://www.icmag.com/threads/vanco...program-gets-health-canada-approval.18124181/

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm not saying that illegal drugs are more harmful, but you seem to think I am.

I am saying that cutting the cartel importation of cocaine is a great move.

I read through what you posted and it said that they are hoping to safely source illicit drugs.

I am as well.

Ca++

It's pretty funny the counter arguments are based on hyperbole like this instead of actual logical arguments.
You are only speaking for yourself. Lots of others have a 'try anything once' attitude. If you doubt this, then how is it we have addicts. Where did they come from.

Just this summer I was given some opium. Not opiates, but actual opium. It was free, so I tried it. It was somewhat like when I tried heroin. Put anything in front of me that I have not tried, and is well catalogued, and I'm trying it.

It was indeed very addictive. I loved it. It was like turbocharged cannabis. I truly blended with the chair.

Now are you telling me there is free clean supplies of this stuff, and this won't increase the number of people trying it. That sounds like crazy talk to me.

Somatek

Yup and you need another saying. Rinse and repeat eh.

BTW dude you really need to try some shrooms perhaps you might even get to see your own ego for what it is.
That's literally the first time I've said it but it's a good way to dismiss your strawman argument. Easier then pointing out that I grow my own mushrooms, peyote, poppies when I have space and spin up my own DMT when I feel like indulging. None of that is relevant to the argument at hand which is the effectiveness of harm reduction strategies and treating addiction as a health problem, including prescribing a safe supply so people aren't exposed to the toxic supply or how off topic irrelevant that persons comment was, not to mention delusional as pharma companies profits are consistently going up which has nothing to do with trans rights or the absurd idea that hospitals/doctors are pushing gender reassignment therapy to increase their profits.

Somatek

You are only speaking for yourself. Lots of others have a 'try anything once' attitude. If you doubt this, then how is it we have addicts. Where did they come from.

Just this summer I was given some opium. Not opiates, but actual opium. It was free, so I tried it. It was somewhat like when I tried heroin. Put anything in front of me that I have not tried, and is well catalogued, and I'm trying it.

It was indeed very addictive. I loved it. It was like turbocharged cannabis. I truly blended with the chair.

Now are you telling me there is free clean supplies of this stuff, and this won't increase the number of people trying it. That sounds like crazy talk to me.
Actually a minority become addicts with most opiate addictions stemming from legal prescriptions.

Here's some stats to consider instead of just anecdotes to prop up your erroneous opinion.

• About 20% to 30% of people who take prescription Opioids misuse them.
  • About 10% of people who misuse prescription Opioids become addicted to Opioids.
  • Approximately 2.1 million Americans have an Opioid use disorder.
  • About 5% of people with an Opioid use disorder will try Heroin.

Looking at heroin specifically
  • Roughly 0.3% of American adults are Heroin users.
  • There are over 100,000 new Heroin users each year.
  • More than 28% of 2019’s Opioid overdose fatalities were linked to Heroin.

Which makes it pretty clear that more people aren't getting hooked because they're looking for fun, it's driven by over prescription (specifically to men working in the trades which are one of the most at risk groups) that leads to bigger issues in a minority of the population. Most users learn to balance their use against their responsibilities just like any other substance. Sure addiction rates are higher comparing alcohol vs opiates (roughly doubled) but it's still a minority of users and jumping to the conclusion that treating that minorities issues as a health problem will somehow make the majority of functional people decide to take up an addiction is baseless. You're just projecting your values which are easily contradicted by the stats.

Somatek

Safer supply doesn't prescribe cocaine or LSD and certainly has nothing to do with sourcing either from pharmaceutical production
You said
.I'm not sure more junkies dying in the ditch is as much of a sign of an enlightened society, but if that's what it is then I need to see some noncartel coke and actually clean acid before I can say we're making better decisions.

I was replying to your erroneous statement that harm reduction strategies like safe supply or decriminalizing will lead to more junkies dying in the ditch;' that's a baseless assertion based on your own bias. The comment about "safe supply of coke or lsd" isn't worth replying to as they aren't significant issues with tainted drug supply compared to opiates which is what's driving the current reforms. The comment about LSD is particularly comical as it illustrates your naivety since there are companies licensed/getting licensed to produce/import/distribute psychedelics like mushrooms, ketamine, mdma, LSD, etc. Numinus was the first one I read about awhile ago as the first company to legally grow mushrooms for people with an exemption from the Minister of Health to use them for medical purposes. Psychedelic companies are the new investor hot ticket now that the big LP's have fizzled and can't compete with the growing number of legacy growers transitioning to the legal market.