What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canada to decriminalize hard drugs in pilot study

Cuddles

Watched this bit of news in part on BBC news.
Apparantly Canada is set to decriminalize hard drugs for the time being as part of a pilot study/project.
Here´s an online article:

Canada Decriminalizes Opioids and Other Drugs in British Columbia​

With opioid deaths skyrocketing in the western province, Canada has temporarily decriminalized the substance and three others for personal use.

Facing soaring levels of opioid deaths since the pandemic began in 2020, the Canadian government announced Tuesday that it would temporarily decriminalize the possession of small amounts of illegal drugs, including cocaine and methamphetamines, in the western province of British Columbia that has been ground zero for the country’s overdoses.
The exemption, announced by the country’s drug regulator on Tuesday, comes four years after the country legalized the possession and consumption of recreational marijuana and puts Canada among a small group of countries worldwide that have taken steps to decriminalize illicit drugs.
The announcement was applauded by families of deceased opioid users and by peer support workers, and was supported by police associations and British Columbia’s chief coroner, but many harm reduction activists demanded that the government go further by expanding the exemption across the country and increasing the threshold to include larger quantities.
British Columbia declared drug-related deaths a public health emergency in 2016. Since the pandemic, rates of opioid use in the western province flared to alarming levels, with a record 2,224 deaths in 2021, compared to 1,767 in 2020, and one of the highest per capita rates in North America.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

“For too many years, the ideological opposition to harm reduction has cost lives,” said Dr. Carolyn Bennett, the federal minister of mental health and addictions, at a news conference on Tuesday.
“Today is a very important day and it is hard to believe that we actually got here,” said Dr. Bonnie Henry, British Columbia’s provincial health officer, adding that when her report calling for the decriminalization of people who use drugs was published in 2018, “there was not a lot of support for it, at any level.”

• Thanks for reading The Times.
Subscribe to The Times

British Columbia has been a leader in Canada’s harm reduction movement. It opened the first supervised injection site in North America in 2003 in Vancouver, over a decade after it launched the province’s first needle exchange program.
The police in Vancouver already tend to not charge drug users for personal possession in what’s known locally as a “Vancouver bubble,” said Mark Haden, an expert in drug policy and an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia. “The message is, we are starting to see this as a health problem, not a criminal justice problem,” he said.
The exemption will allow drug users to carry up to 2.5 grams total of four listed substances for personal use — opioids, cocaine, methamphetamines, and MDMA, also known as Ecstasy or Molly.

Editors’ Picks​

Are We Close to a Cure for Celiac Disease?

‘The Wire’ at 20: ‘This Show Will Live Forever’

Ready When You Are, Terminal C Is Now an Art Destination

Continue reading the main story

People over 18 found carrying these drugs, at the prescribed amounts and for their personal use, will not be charged, arrested, or have their drugs seized by the police. Instead, interactions with officers will be used as an opportunity to, if the person wishes, be referred to local health and social services.

Sign up for the Canada Letter Newsletter Back stories and analysis from our Canadian correspondents, plus a handpicked selection of our recent Canada-related coverage. Get it sent to your inbox.
The exemption will go into effect on Jan. 31, 2023, and will expire after three years. Even so, it will not apply in certain settings, including airports, schools, child care centers, aboard Coast Guard vessels or helicopters, or for military members.
Decriminalization will allow police to focus on organized crime and drug traffickers, instead of individual users, said Sheila Malcolmson, the provincial minister of mental health and addictions. “We will take this year ahead to ready our justice and health systems,” she added.
“It’s a step in the right direction,” said Guy Felicella, a peer clinical adviser at the B.C. Centre on Substance Use in Vancouver, who, starting at 16, spent decades in and out of jail for drug-related crimes. “Arresting me and incarcerating me for all those years for using drugs never stopped me once from using drugs — even when I went to prison. It didn’t do anything except create stigma and discrimination, shame.
“It’s unfortunate that it’s just in British Columbia,’’ he added, “and that it’s not right across Canada.”
While calling the move “historic” and “progress,” Leslie McBain criticized the 2.5 grams threshold as “too small for people who are dependent.”
To follow the law, people addicted to opioids and other illicit drugs would have to return to their dealers more regularly, “increasing their chance of getting toxic drugs and being in that dangerous market,” said Ms. McBain, who co-founded the advocacy and support network Moms Stop the Harm in 2016, two years after her son Jordan died from a drug-induced heart attack.

“The organization that is supplying the drugs, that is an illegal crime organization,” said Ms. McBain. “Any time a person has to interact in that dangerous milieu, they are taking a chance.”
Not everyone in Canada celebrated the decision. Chuck Doucette, the president of the Drug Prevention Network of Canada, based in Delta, British Columbia, called the government’s announcement a “cop out.” He said people should be given help with the “issues that led them to use drugs in the first place” and “the help they need to get clean and sober.”
“I think making drug use easier for them is kind of like palliative care,” said Mr. Doucette, who spent 35 years working for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police before retiring, most of which he spent in drug enforcement. “It’s just condemning them to a slow death because of drugs, whereas if you get them off drugs, get them a life back, they can enjoy life.”

The city of Vancouver had also previously applied for an exemption, which is still under review with Health Canada, in March 2021. If approved, the city’s exemption would apply to all amphetamines. Dr. Bennett, the federal minister, said British Columbia’s successful application could provide an example for other municipalities moving to decriminalize drugs for personal possession, including Toronto, which has formally applied. Montreal and Edmonton are considering it.
The approval of any additional applications will depend on the level of drug overdose in the area and other factors, such as whether decriminalization will divert people there from the criminal justice system and “augment” health services, said Dr. Bennett, the federal mental health and addictions minister.
British Columbia has one of the highest per capita rates of drug death across North America, at 42.8 deaths per 100,000 people in 2021, according to provincial data.
In the U.S., the 10 states with the highest level of drug overdose, have rates ranging between 39.1 deaths per 100,000 in Connecticut, to 81.4 deaths per 100,000 in West Virginia, according to the latest mortality data, for 2020, by the Centers for Disease Control.

Now, why did it take soooo long to make pot available even though it does more good than harm....?
politicians...I´ll just never understand them :alien:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
They say other countries have done this. They didn't cite any examples of who, or if it worked though.

The dealers are going to love this. The hard rock cafe' takes on new meaning

Brother Nature

Portugal, Paraguay and Mexico have all legalized personal consumption of drugs. It reduces the unfair policing of users compared to dealers, freeing up resources and communication to focus more on those actually causing harm to the community (e.g. the dealers). With drugs like Opioids, which are now often cut with varying levels of fentanyl, some kind of way to monitor batches without fear of legal reprocussions seems like a very good way to reduce overdoses. Plus, looking at someone with an addiction as someone who needs help rather than punishing can only ease the anxiety of feeling like you need to get help but not seeking it because of legal repercussions.

Meth is also legal, you can get it prescribed by a doctor, Adderal (dexamphetimine) does almost exactly the same thing to your brain that crystal does, just go to a doctor and say you have trouble focusing, you can get it easy as pie. Had a family member on it for years, they'd do the same pill rolling, jaw nashing, and picking of their skin that most meth addicts do, but it wasn't a problem cause a doctor gave it to her so how could it be bad... I even recall back in my less scrupulous days, I had clients that preferred Adderal to street crystal because they always knew the quality would be the same.

Drugs are drugs, they can all be abused, stigmatizing someone for their specific preference is a very good way to control a certain section of society. You guys remember reefer madness?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Being illegal has never stopped anyone getting help in the UK. There are plenty of programs to sign up to. Fail to get off it long enough, and you can get it for free in some places. You just need to accept random testing to prove you are taking it, and nothing more. This seems quite adequate, without letting dealers run about with 10 bags, without taking it off them. That is uncontrolled usage. Much better to dish out the Adderal if that's what they want. We don't even try and ween people off if they don't want that.

Legalcdn

Not all provinces will enact the decriminalization approach. BC has been dealing with high overdose deaths. It's about time it is looked through the lens of a health issue. When people are with others that OD, they are reluctant to call for help due to potential arrest. I know too much about this as I am in the Emergency services field.

If you have ever been to East Hasting Street in downtown Vancouver, you will know why this announcement was done. It has been brutal for at least 35 years.

St. Phatty

Not all provinces will enact the decriminalization approach. BC has been dealing with high overdose deaths. It's about time it is looked through the lens of a health issue. When people are with others that OD, they are reluctant to call for help due to potential arrest. I know too much about this as I am in the Emergency services field.

If you have ever been to East Hasting Street in downtown Vancouver, you will know why this announcement was done. It has been brutal for at least 35 years.

Once I went for a walk there about 6:30 AM.

They have some great cafe's, open later in the day.

Not much different from the Lower Haight in SF ... 30 years ago.

Cuddles

so do you think that this decriminalizationn will really be helpful to these guys?

Legalcdn

At the end of the day, a life saved is someone's son/daughter saved.
We get calls really late after the OD because no one wants to be arrested. Framing it health instead of criminal (and we are talking small amounts) can nudge people to get cleaned up.

There is no best solution, but calls for ambulance will be quicker.

Legalcdn

Once I went for a walk there about 6:30 AM.

They have some great cafe's, open later in the day.

Not much different from the Lower Haight in SF ... 30 years ago.
Great cafes? You were in the area of main street and east hastings street? They shootup right in front of the police station. I worked 1 street from that at a college. Bathrooms had ceilings that had streaks of blood. from hitting a vein.

Three Berries

There goes the neighborhood… if Canada starts to look anything like Oregon since they have a similar approach towards hard drugs… Oregon is a dumpster compared to what it once was pre Crack Head Era
bbc97b50f84627ed19a8ee4ec0149ac1846a407578a831b02a5abba77e3bb05a.png

https://www.wnd.com/2022/06/drug-overdoses-spike-700-state-decriminalizes-drugs/

Drug overdoses spike 700% after state decriminalizes drugs

Officials admit failure of promised treatment-center alternative

St. Phatty

There goes the neighborhood… if Canada starts to look anything like Oregon since they have a similar approach towards hard drugs… Oregon is a dumpster compared to what it once was pre Crack Head Era
Has a lot to do with How People are Treated.

In California, Meth users are given Prescriptions for Ephedrine - and encouraged to study Computer Graphics under the influence.

In Oregon, Meth Users are treated as criminals - just for using meth.

The US did comparatively fine for 160 years with cocaine, opium, Cannabis all legal.

Also, during the 50's, when Ephedrine was routinely dispensed by prescription.

Rider420

When Canada legalized Cannabis going on four years ago narcs said it would ruin Canada, well I'm smoking a joint laughing my ass off. Same shit different day.
MDMA is among the "HARD" drugs being decriminalized and you can buy enough to get the drugs checked at a center without having the police nabbing you as come out. Same with opioids you can legally go to safe injection site without having to worry about the police. FYI it's only BC Canada that is decriminalizing drugs.
BTW I feel sorry for obese people but banning hamburgers is not the solution.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Coca doesn't grow that far north.

I'm not as impressed as I could be.

If the draw for tourism increases because of cocaine then the cartels get richer and bigger.

I agree that legal status is most of the harm associated with drugs but there's many more aspects that could be addressed.

The US used to buy our (legal) supply of cocaine from Peru. Pharmaceutical grade and through a legitimate business. We still might be.

If Canada wants to let people do drugs because the idea is harm reduction, then I hope they think it through enough to consider other issues besides the law.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Addiction is scratching a discomfort. Ease the discomfort another way and chemically clean out the person. The "addiction" evaporates.

For 20 years I have had zero cravings for nicotine. Previously, I had smoked 1 to 2 packs a day for 20 years. When the discomfort was resolved another way, it was as difficult as shutting a window and walking away.

What's your itch? What are you scratching it with? Most people have zero clue what their itch(es) is(are), but what they use to scratch will be much more obvious.

:)

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I have a healthy addiction to oxygen.

I eat and drink and breathe.

Addiction is pretty hard to break.

It's also completely relative and very touchy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're liable to claim that you aren't addicted to smoking weed, but you were addicted to smoking tobacco... But perhaps it's smoking in general that is the addiction?

Am I addicted to food if I eat more than three meals or is it more than one?

I'm addicted to oxygen, water, food, sex, and cannabis.

I guess it's a great time for me to point out that I am not concerned about addiction.

I'm concerned about people getting locked up or killed.

I can see how you might lump all of those things together.

Latest posts

Latest posts