What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can we discuss bubblegum?

bigAl25

Veteran
I would like to get my hands on INDIANA bubblegum for sentimental reasons from some breeder so it can remind me of chewing bubblegum in the dugout when I played little league baseball. That baseball card bubblegum was the bomb. The only one I have grown was Nirvana bubblelicious, great ganja,sweet, but no real bubblegum smell from fem seeds. I will grown bubblelicious again though, should I consider any other breeders fem or auto seeds? I did get a cherry cough drop AK48 from Nirvana 4 grows ago. Loved that shit.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I won't generalize all the old timers as being better than newer breeders. Work is work and it stands on its own no matter who does it.
Do you guys remember back in the day youd have to buy multiple packs to pheno hunt?
My worst experiences came from dutch genetics time and time again. Pack after pack with no keepers or plants that were nothing like advertised. Shit you still do if you buy the wrong gear. Makes me wonder wtf they were doing with the fields and greenhouses.

Imho if you gotta buy more than 1 pack to find a plant that resembles the family as advertised you got fucked. Someone will probably say its worth it because if you find the 5% cut yer golden. Half the pack at least should be the phenos as advertised. It really isnt that hard...

Its interesting learning about the way things went, the Canadians and dutch to the american revolution.
It seems like more inbreeding is done in closets than in fields and greenhouses.
The evidence for this is the thousands and thousands of top shelf lines floating around the US.

JVonChron

you can get bazooka joe bubblegum cookies in the bay right now. last batch i got had beans in it. just sayin...
storm shadow---does that iranian bubblegum come out with a yellow hue to it? if so it might just be the "juicy fruit" i know of from about a decade ago

So is there any consensus which breeder atm has the best representation of bubblegum in seedform? Never grew it but would not mind to try.

madalasatori

Veteran
Bubblegum has a wonderful unique sweet flavour but it doesn't smell of bubblegum. It was named so because the guy who created it used to stick it under the counter in a coffee shop like a piece of bubblegum as a tip for the bud tender. Any bubble gum smell is probably your imagination. I've grown hundreds of bubblegum seeds and some of them were fantastic but none smelt particularly like bubblegum. The best pheno with the euphoric high sweet taste and smell and super dense nugs had the faintest whiff of sweet bleach about it

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That's a cute story but not how bubblegum got its name. There were no coffee shops or bud tenders in Indiana in the 80's. Certain phenotypes of BG def smell and taste of pink BG

bluntmassa

So is there any consensus which breeder atm has the best representation of bubblegum in seedform? Never grew it but would not mind to try.

For real it's such a hard decision especially since not many people have tried Bubblegum from every breeder. Serious Seeds is the original in seed form but I have heard it's not like it used to be which seems like the consensus on most old school strains but I have personally had pretty good experience with a lot of old school strains even Skunk hybrids I love them. Lol, But a friend worked out west for a while and he said nobody had Skunk but they actually do just cross bred back and forth so much they name it something ridiculous like Girl Scout Cookies cause they lost track of the genetics like a bastard. Lol, Even SSH they call Santa Cruz Haze because it sounds hip or some shit but DNA testing says she is Super Silver Haze but even the Dutch did the same with Amnesia Haze it's just SSH.

I do have BOG's Bubble about ready for flowering but that will be my first bubblegum I have heard some good about her but I have heard good and bad about probably every breeders Bubblegum the seed industry drove me to breed my own shit ain't nobody got anything true breeding like Roma tomatoes nobody. They might say they do but I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :)

bluntmassa

Bubblegum has a wonderful unique sweet flavour but it doesn't smell of bubblegum. It was named so because the guy who created it used to stick it under the counter in a coffee shop like a piece of bubblegum as a tip for the bud tender. Any bubble gum smell is probably your imagination. I've grown hundreds of bubblegum seeds and some of them were fantastic but none smelt particularly like bubblegum. The best pheno with the euphoric high sweet taste and smell and super dense nugs had the faintest whiff of sweet bleach about it

Or..... it was a very unique mother plant and like Red Delicious apples nobody has found a replacement to this day. Just a guess I'm sure it's not a myth but it probably wasn't like eating a piece of Bazooka Joe's bubblegum like some expect. Like Blueberry who started the Blueberry Muffin pheno myth? What kind of Muffin artificial or organic if organic what variety of blueberries were used? Plenty of different Blueberry bushes to be had and they have different flavors wild are my personal favorite. But then the muffin itself can have a large variety of flavors from one baker to the next.

What we need is some smell-o-vision because people can't really explain the flavor of a particular Blueberry bush but you can most certainly taste it just some things words can not explain.

Croissant

To those who have tried the pink BG pheno and blueberry muffin pheno we know they are not a myth. The pink BG pheno lacks some of the powdered sugar smell of the actual gum and thee blueberry muffin pheno is not quite as sugary dough smelling as a muffin and it is very florally with maybe some soft woods as a base smell. They were pretty common 15 years ago.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
yeah but its the same with banana flavour sweets or what not, it doesn't smell or taste like an actually banana, more like a concentrated artificial type smell. almost like a flavouring or whatever.
ive had bubble gum back in the 90s a local cut was being grown here. when you put your nose to the bag, you smell bubble gum, be it the taste in smell form or an artificial smell or whatever, you just knew bbg when you smell it. maybe not the actual smell of a bbg stick. but you got to remember smell/taste are symbiotic so maybe it smells like the taste and smell of actual bbg combined. idk if that makes sense..

Croissant

Yeah if you had no name for the right pheno blind folded someone and held the bag to their nose the would instantly say it smells like bubbelegum then if you took off their blindfold they would be surprised it was weed and not bubblegum. That is how much it smells like bubblegum.

Scrappy-doo

Anyone tried crazy monk's IBG ibl? Was looking at those closely but never pulled the trigger. Always wanted to try a nice bubblegum tho I heard it's not the most potent.

Croissant

Its not the most potent but would likely make amazing crosses to more potent elite cuttings. It has amazing smells and flavors and a distinctly happy stone the kind if which is just simply absent from the world of uberpotent elite cuttings and their offspring.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Its not the most potent but would likely make amazing crosses to more potent elite cuttings. It has amazing smells and flavors and a distinctly happy stone the kind if which is just simply absent from the world of uberpotent elite cuttings and their offspring.
hmm I don't thinks it overly potent.. but its a pleasant weed to smoke. a concentrate would smell and taste lovely too.. archive seeds did the ibg x the face off og (I think) and I heard a lot of good things about that cross. so im sure you are right about it being good for breeding.

bluntmassa

To those who have tried the pink BG pheno and blueberry muffin pheno we know they are not a myth. The pink BG pheno lacks some of the powdered sugar smell of the actual gum and thee blueberry muffin pheno is not quite as sugary dough smelling as a muffin and it is very florally with maybe some soft woods as a base smell. They were pretty common 15 years ago.

It's not a myth yet you say it doesn't truly taste like a blueberry muffin. Interesting logic. LMAO

Something tells me that the pink BG pheno doesn't actually taste like Bazooka Joe bubble gum maybe more so after 20 minutes of chewing when the flavor starts to fade I doubt you can get a cannabis plant that sugary tasting I've had some sweet shit but nothing like Bazooka Joe sugary.

Not to mention that cherry AK-47 Simon did ask for a cut because he has never found it so apparently nobody kept it or they just thought it tasted slightly cherry either way if it was that special and well known someone would still have that cut. But word is you can't find it anymore just like Blueberry muffin so what we are left with is myths as like you said blueberry muffin pheno did not taste like a blueberry muffin.

Sorry to be a myth buster but I always gone by believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. Cause I damn sure do not believe airplanes took out the World Trade Center building 7 didn't even get hit with a plane but fell like demolition.

Aota1

I ran a full room of the Indiana cut Bubblegum and wish I still had it. I got it from a guy in Humboldt who was on his way moving to Colorado hired as a rec grower. Now that I'm in Oregon I may never see it again

Croissant

Bluntmassa,

Believe what you want. But the blueberry muffin pheno of blueberry smells like blueberries once baked in muffins they don't smell like fresh blueberries but it tastes like a very ripe fresh blueberry and flowers.