What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can we discuss bubblegum?

grownow

nirvanas Bubblicious is my favourite strain. i dont know why nirvana has such a bad reputation here, i seriously doubt that many of the people that are badmouthing them have ever grown out their stuff, or bubblicious in particular. i also have an 100% germination rate on their beans, their website says the genetics are Big Bud x Skunk#1. the plants are very sturdy, more sativa looking and grow rock hard nugs, but the stretch is extreme and some phenos are prone to mites (i guess because of the smell, so you have to take prevantive measures in veg). the smell is hands down the best i have ever had from any weed ive grown or smoked in amsterdam until now (kandy kush, or amnesia haze were also very good, but i havent been able to find BG in any coffeshop), many popular strains dont even compare IMO. in some phenos the bubblegum smell has earthy or musty undertones, but some of them smell so delicious that you really want to eat the bud :-D the hight is euphoric and kind of activating, but not as racy, strong and boring as nirvanas white widow for example, but i have never been able to sleep after smoking it. i have also grown out various bubblegum freebies, they had some similarities but none were even close in terms of quality.
i have heard that resin seeds sells Bubblicious too, they say its genetics are Bubblegum (THSeeds) x Lavender (Soma), and the pics i saw looked very similar to my plants, does anyone have experience with that?
i would absolutely recommend nirvanas bubblicious to you, and i would be very surprised if you would not find at least one excellent smelling plant in a femmed five pack.

grownow

since you mentioned blueberry and fruity smelling strains: i had some blueberry in amsterdam which smelled exactly like blueberry, but the high was a rather bland and boring indica stone. Apple Jack by Seedism Seeds is also a very fruity and apple smelling sativa like growing plant with nice golf ball sized buds, but the high was way too strong, trippy and racy for me (probably the WW influence). thats why i like bubblicious so much, its not too strong, nice euphoric high, delicious bubblegum smell and fairly easy to grow.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Chrome Pink Bazooka - male plant. I still have 6-7 seeds left in the pack.

picture.php

I live in Michigan. These kids from Indiana lived in this frat behind the pizza place I used to work at in East Lansing. They would come over and we would trade smoke. Well one day I asked to buy some from them and ended up with THE Indiana bubblegum. It was like nothing I've had that has the name today.. true pink bubble-yum flavor; slight hashy undertones.

Yeah, the buds were actually pink lol

I had it in Southwest Florida and it was $400 an oz

They were pink! it was strange stuff I thought it was like fed bubble yum water or something. And that was the price. $50 1/8ths, like all indoor KB back then.

I doubt serious or TH seeds has anything like it today; but I'm trying Chicle from TH Seeds right now as I couldn't think of a better clone to hit an old-school indiana clone with than a Chem D. Right now I have a squatty indica pheno, and a lankier sativa looking pheno that smells of sweet and sour chem D. More to come. 3 seeds on reserve, more to come.

Serious seeds bubblegum back in 97 was like that, got it again in 06 and its different. Pretty sure they lost the orignals and are selling something different now. I wouldnt trust the older seed banks anymore too many of them are claiming old world strains and there not. BoG or cannaventure are probably a better shot, but the skunks and bubblegums are pretty much dead unless you find a mountain hippie with some old world clones.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tried(very hard)to get a BubbleGum cut from Holland in April but could only aquire BubbleGum x Amnesia and BubbleGum x Kush?. Both are lovely but the bubblegum flavour and high are there but diluted. Couldn't find any decent Bubblegum in any CS or at Brokers either. The best BG cross I smoked there is SuperSilverBubble nowadays but lots of Haze with the Sweet gum. I've heard theres an old cut that is around in Colorado or Michigan ATM...might be the Indiana one?. Luck'n'Lite JBo

Slipnot

Have The bubble gum you are looking for but only in clone form and in Canada
decent yielder smaller sized Nugs but rock hard

mazar_man

so... the "bubble gum" taste of bubble gum is kind of a myth. Adam of ThSeeds (the guy that orginally launched bubblegum to the masses) stated on The Adam Dunn Show that bubblegum never tasted or smelled like bubblegum it was just really sticky to roll up like bubblegum.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Indiana bubblegum tastes like bubble gum, I had a pheno from SS that tasted like it as well.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Again, to clarify:
It is just my view of "the industry".
I would put the ones I mentioned Tier 1 and folks like Chimera and BOG Tier 2. Just from my research and their reputation.

That being said, Tier 2 is not "shit tier" where I would put greenhouse and co.
It is also not Tier 3 or 4 or 5 where I would put folks like Serious etc. etc.
I would also rate BOG and Chimera Tier 1 if their price was a little more suited to their reputation (with the stipulation that BOG's is if you buy from him directly. Were I in the US, I would rate BOG Tier 1).

Now that being said, among what I would call Tier 2 in the little head of mine, Chimera and BOG are who most interest me because of their reputation (which includes actual reports on their genetics grown out etc.).

But I haven't purchased them, yet, because I fail to see why I would pay more for what I consider Tier 2 than I would for what I consider Tier 1.
I purchased close to 1k in seeds over the last few months, so I will soon be able to augment my "view of the industry" by actual experiences and facts.
After having done so, I see no reason why I wouldn't run at least a pack or two of Chimera's and BOG's gear to compare it to what I researched to be the best option for me at this point in time. Unless I became so infatuated with "my Tier 1 breeders" after having grown their stuff that I decide to just spend more of my money on them.

But until then, I fail to see why I would pay so much for seeds that have an inferior reputation. That doesn't mean their work or product is inferior. It might well be worth the price tag they ask, I can't judge that.
But at this point in time and from my perspective, others have a better reputation AND are cheaper. So I fail to see why I would go for Tier 2 at this point in time.

Having spent 1k in seeds, I was definitely open to buying less from one breeder and spreading what's in my "bank" across a larger variety of breeders. But there aren't many in Tier 1 and 2 imho, probably less than 10 breeders combined. And I just picked the ones that had the best ratio of reputation and price, which, sadly, neither Chimera nor BOG belonged to. BOG actually does but only if I were to order from him directly and he doesn't ship to Europe.

And while it does speak positively about Chimera that he is actually active and willing to share his perspective on my opinion, I am sorry to say that himself saying that he does unprecedented things and works at a "higher level than anyone in the industry" is not only kind of worthless but even negative in my view.
The industry is full of people blowing themselves and saying how they are heads and shoulders above the rest. Undesirables like Greenhouse among them.

@MJPassion
Thank you for wishing me the best of luck and not using my sometimes poorly formulated statements to get into an argument with me. I admire your level-headedness and patience. After re-reading my statemens I was sure that you or others would start bashing me and I wouldn't even be able to blame you for it.

@Cosmic Charlie
I did research BOG extensively and Chimera a little bit. I do know of them but obviously am not their childhood friend or sth nor have I been around the last couple of decades.
It has also come to my attention that older breeders seem to have lost quality but not all of them. Serious Seeds seems to be a good example for this though.
About Nirvana: I find it highly amusing that 2 decades ago they were regarded as knock-offers and some even called them "thieves". They had a very bad rep and were basically only interesting for those on a budget.
I come back a few decades later and Nirvana is basically regarded as "heirloom genetics" by so many. Found that very surprising and somewhat comical.
It also underlined how poorly formerly well-respected breeders like Serious Seeds must have handled their stock and stake in the industry for Nirvana to be held in such lofty regards.
And then, a few years later, Nirvana went from knock-off producers capitalizing on other's work, to "heirloom breeders" to "loosing quality like the other older breeders".
Very interesting development imho.

We will see. For now I can't really justify buying any more seeds, I have enough for many, many years.
But if I run across a good deal on BOG, Chimera and some OG Kush genetics along the way, I will get some of those.

I was so interested in bubblegum... It topped my wishlist as a matter of fact... And I am actually quite bummed out that I had to end up considering White Label and Nirvana as possibly my best options with regards to bubblegum...

But I have many different Afghani, Chitral and such genetics in my lineup so I might also get lucky and get my own bubblegum running from these lines of genetics.
Also Nevil has been quoted to say that Nl5xSkunk and BigBud aka Critical Mass are what the "original" bubblegum was made of. I have those too.

Will run all of that and if I can't find Bubblegum myself, I will eventually bite the bullet and give others I don't consider Tier 1 a try, including BOG, Serious, TH seeds etc.

Or I bite the other bullet and let a friend in the US/Canada know that I want BOG seeds and let him forward them to me.

Let's see.

If all goes well I have some concrete experience and reports/pics to share in a few months.

kinda weird how a few people still rate Nevil and mns up there with the top breeders. they were big players in breeding few decades ago (when there were barely any companies around) but that's about it. Mns now don't offer anything close to what they once did.

chimera bog easily squishes both in regards to credibility.

Croissant

People get old give them a break. There is no reason to shit all over people just because they got old. The breeding work done by a lot of those oldtimers shits all over a lot of what goes on today. it is just today we stand on the shoulders of giants from the past.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hahaha ranking breeders by tier when you state you havnt grown anything from them is about the dumbest thing I have read today.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
so... the "bubble gum" taste of bubble gum is kind of a myth. Adam of ThSeeds (the guy that orginally launched bubblegum to the masses) stated on The Adam Dunn Show that bubblegum never tasted or smelled like bubblegum it was just really sticky to roll up like bubblegum.

All this proves is that Adam and THSeeds never had the right parental stock, and weren't good at what they did like Simon and Serious were. Anyone who grew Serious seeds BG in the late 90s only needed one ten-pack of seeds to find 2 phenos that smelled and tasted like bubblegum. One was a better yielder than the other pheno though.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im debating getting into the bubblegum game.
Im sure with some work I can beat 2/10 phenos ha!
Maybe something to do for next year since my GB line is almost done.

angelgoob

I had some bubblegum tasting stuff before. The high lasted 4 hours and you didn't even have to do anything if you didn't want to. you could just sit there and stare at the wall?

was the the real bubblegum?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
People get old give them a break. There is no reason to shit all over people just because they got old. The breeding work done by a lot of those oldtimers shits all over a lot of what goes on today. it is just today we stand on the shoulders of giants from the past.
no one was shitting on them, hence why I said they were big players back in the day. there recent offerings are pretty shit. not because they are old but because they sell rubbish of the back of their old rep.

Latest posts

Latest posts