What's new

Can we discuss bubblegum?

bigbadbiddy

I said it elsewhere and I say it again:
I've been smoking for 20 odd years now and lived 10 in the Netherlands.

I have never, ever, ever come across something that actually smelled or tasted like bubblegum, nor blueberry, nor mango, nor anything.

I had faint hints of smell in terms of strawberry and mango, sometimes a little lemony. But it was faint. (and could very well have been achieved through throwing a flavored blunt wrap in the box while curing ...)

Never tasted anything in that direction.

I heard many people say that found a pheno that smells dead on blueberry muffin, mango, strawberry, what have you.
But I never got my hands on any of that.

So to me, it's all just myth and legend or overhyping at this point.

But I did get some varieties (like Blueberry) and 30+ seeds from each to find out for myself.
If I can't find anything that actually smells (and hopefully somewhat tastes) like fruit in the 100+ beans I have from fruity varieties (mango, blueberry, etc.), then I will call shenanigans.

But my hope is still high because some of the people who say again and again that they found something that actually smelled and tasted like X, are very reputable growers that have been at it for a while. And I trust their word. (I think Weird is one such example who I remember stating that he had the old Indiana Bubblegum which actually smelled like bubblegum, don't remember if he said anything regarding taste though)

Still need some proof for myself. It could, after all, also just be that they define "dead on blueberry muffin smell/taste" very differently than I do.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I said it elsewhere and I say it again:
I've been smoking for 20 odd years now and lived 10 in the Netherlands.

I have never, ever, ever come across something that actually smelled or tasted like bubblegum, nor blueberry, nor mango, nor anything.

I had faint hints of smell in terms of strawberry and mango, sometimes a little lemony. But it was faint. (and could very well have been achieved through throwing a flavored blunt wrap in the box while curing ...)

Never tasted anything in that direction.

I heard many people say that found a pheno that smells dead on blueberry muffin, mango, strawberry, what have you.
But I never got my hands on any of that.

So to me, it's all just myth and legend or overhyping at this point.

But I did get some varieties (like Blueberry) and 30+ seeds from each to find out for myself.
If I can't find anything that actually smells (and hopefully somewhat tastes) like fruit in the 100+ beans I have from fruity varieties (mango, blueberry, etc.), then I will call shenanigans.

But my hope is still high because some of the people who say again and again that they found something that actually smelled and tasted like X, are very reputable growers that have been at it for a while. And I trust their word. (I think Weird is one such example who I remember stating that he had the old Indiana Bubblegum which actually smelled like bubblegum, don't remember if he said anything regarding taste though)

Still need some proof for myself. It could, after all, also just be that they define "dead on blueberry muffin smell/taste" very differently than I do.

yeah it was bubble gum tasting

not blue berry not cotton candy but pink bubble gum

was the cut I had been passed not from seed HOWEVER there was one pheno from SS that had a taste I felt was bubbelgum but I didn't share too much of that to get anything conclusive in the way fo affirmation from others.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Thats prolly the issue, too much time smoking dutch bred buds dude! :)

Hate to say it but yer right..

Been looking for that real bubblegum since I lost my mamma years ago that I found in a pack of white label Doublegun (early2000's). She was short, petit, quick indica with a happy high and was sweet as can be and smoking a J of her was like chewing on a piece of pink bubblegum.. Biddy, dude, if in ten years of being in the 'Dam you haven't smoked anything that tastes like it says on the packaging, I ain't missing anything.

I had an AK47/top44 pheno once that I cry for loosing, pure grape in your face, like a grape softdrink with too much flavoring, on the inhale. This from the AK mother, and a full butterscotch hardcandy flavor on the exhale from the father. I've never had, but don't doubt for a second that there is a full on cherry AK pheno. I've had/have strains which were over powering blueberry muffins, mangos, mango curry, strawberries, raspberries, orangle peel, orange liquer, papaya, quava, banana, I've had a strain that tasted like bowl of fruit pebble cereal. I have an OG that tastes like lemon cream biscuits in your face on the inhale and chocolate, turpentine and coffee on the exhale..Nevermind my favorite tasting strain, that stuff is indescribable..Buddy you've been missing out. Hope you get to taste a real bubblegum and for those who say that the name has nothing to do with the flavor, you can keep on believing that, means more for me when I find it, again.

Great thread BTW, heres to the bubblegum!

bigbadbiddy

I said it elsewhere as well but I think the main issue is that I was in NL during the time when White Widow was everything and everywhere.

Wasn't in the 'Dam in particular, I scored some great herb on my trips there but nothing "tasty" ever...

It was just the WW epidemic everywhere else, nobody wanted anything else, not the potheads, nor the shop owners.
Just price/performance wise it was what they all wanted and hence it was more or less all that was produced and sold.

Anyway, I got the seeds, just gotta look for it. Sure hope I find something fruity smelling and if it could be tasty as well, this whole endeavour would be so worth it.

If I do find what I want, I might buy 50 seeds of Bubblicious or White Label Double Gum or whatever and see if I can find that elusive Bubblegum bud. Actually interests me more than Blueberry, Lemon, Mango etc. stuff...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Curious what seeds you've obtained to try your hand at?

My very first grow was from som mex bagseed. It produced some of the finest bubblegum smelling buds I've sampled... ever!
Right now my garden is producing hay smelling plants as well as blueberry, cantaloupe, orange creamsicle, orange soda, tangerine, industrial adhesive, chocolate/coffee mocha & other exotic aromas.

Cannabis is probably the only plant on earth that can produce the range of aromas that it does.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
If I do find what I want, I might buy 50 seeds of Bubblicious or White Label Double Gum or whatever and see if I can find that elusive Bubblegum bud. Actually interests me more than Blueberry, Lemon, Mango etc. stuff...

Popped 20 or so doublegums from whitelabel 3 or 4 years back and found one lady that is quite bubblegummy but she not the same indica gal I used to have..Found one epic sativa with pink hairs that is not bubblegum at all but a keeper none the less.

I'm still following this thread wondering where the closest thing to the indiana cut in seed is..keep on posting guys and gals..

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The U.K. Blues clone smells exactly like blueberry,,,so I know for a fact bubble gum and blueberry smells and tastes are out there,,The blues is a synthetic blueberry smell and taste,,the bubble gum I saw in Amsterdam was full on bubble gum smell and taste,,, both look like sk1 types to me,,

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
they definitely are not sk1, they come from usa genetics. then to the dutch, then back to the state in some cases. the blues isn't even a sk1 it meant to be a cross. and dj short created his blueberry from thai plants from what i know..

tony was right though, the dutch had a golden time about 20 years ago. its clearly over now. dutch companies are shit. all the companies who produced the great iconic strains like bbg (serious seeds, thseeds, greenhouse etc) sell seeds producing bland high yielding shwag now. and have done for years.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
after researching id go for bog seeds, and crazy monks indiana bbg ibl. that's what im gonna do. search through a few packs of each.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
after researching id go for bog seeds, and crazy monks indiana bbg ibl. that's what im gonna do. search through a few packs of each.

I'm sure there will be a few that are interested in your results.
I'll be anticipating some good news.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I'm sure there will be a few that are interested in your results.
I'll be anticipating some good news.
well I will post a thread, im buying 2 packs of bogs blue kush, one of my buddies on here ''holdin'' found an amazing bbg pheno.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=274038

and crazy monk has an inbred line of indianna bbg. its not the clone though its apparently an old american line where he has been selecting for bbg taste and smell. im buying two packs of those too. so if theres any decent males females I can cross them out.

Croissant

The problem with sometimes calling an entire line bubble gum is that most phenos are likely not "the bubblegum." At the same time it recognizes that it is in the line or it should be.

The problem is when people that havnt had the proper phenos start calling non bubblegum phenos bubblegum. It is the same sort if thing with "Frankies" it is a specific pheno that carries a very distinctive terpene profile.

A distinction needs to be made between the line and the phenos that accurately represent the name of the line.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
The problem with sometimes calling an entire line bubble gum is that most phenos are likely not "the bubblegum." At the same time it recognizes that it is in the line or it should be.

The problem is when people that havnt had the proper phenos start calling non bubblegum phenos bubblegum. It is the same sort if thing with "Frankies" it is a specific pheno that carries a very distinctive terpene profile.

A distinction needs to be made between the line and the phenos that accurately represent the name of the line.
I agree. the only way to achieve that is if breeders were putting out true bbg ibl's. and as you know 90% of breeders or id rather say seed producers, are not breeding anything as such in detail. most probably wouldn't know how to create and ibl. its generally clone x clone for now.. but the names sell.
theres literally thousands of crosses available its actually quite hard to find a grow thread on most of them. I think any reputable seed company should be sending out plenty of testers before just crossing something and slapping a $100+ tag on it and bigging it up on instagram.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I get going in this direction are any of you guys willing to run some test beans?
Terpene breeding is a bit trickier than other traits, indeed it will take some work ha!

Croissant

After reading through I would go with bog or serious seeds ala tom hills recommendation. Just expect to go through 2 or 3packs to find it.

Monk indianna bubblegum ibl eeds seems to be line related to the stock Indiana BBg came out of or at least that is what I gathered from the online postings. Someone that grew them out descibed a pheno like juicy fruit bubble gum.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
If I get going in this direction are any of you guys willing to run some test beans?
Terpene breeding is a bit trickier than other traits, indeed it will take some work ha!
il do some testing for you if you wanna try it. tbh tga seems to have nailed it so im sure its not too hard. what are you planning to work with?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
After reading through I would go with bog or serious seeds ala tom hills recommendation. Just expect to go through 2 or 3packs to find it.

Monk indianna bubblegum ibl eeds seems to be line related to the stock Indiana BBg came out of or at least that is what I gathered from the online postings. Someone that grew them out descibed a pheno like juicy fruit bubble gum.
yeah I dug up a few links for monks ibl but I don't think I can post them here..
I respect tom hill but I don't agree on the serious seeds option. I would advice people avoid their seeds completely.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im thinking the first plan would be to grow out a bunch of different shit from all over, pick the best bubble gummy moms and self them all.
That would be the first place to start, going through all those fems to see what sticks so to speak. That is where help would come in.

I've smoked a few bubblegums, nice relaxing shit, but it would have to smoke hard to be worth it for me. Some ideas to up the potency to "murder" status ha... We'll see!

After this 4-20-17 work im working on now shit clears up schedule wise.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I guess you could possibly use your sour bubble crosses to find a strong male. since that has some bbg in its genetics too?