What's new

Can O2Grow Replace Pumps and Stones?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im throwing in the towel on this 'grow'

Even if they survive, there won't be enough side branching for bud development

Just dropped 4 seeds from 2011 that have been refrigerated : a cross of BK-1 (whatever that was) crossed with an Indica

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sigh, the 4 seeds did not make it. Most likely cause the new cubes were too wet. I started 4 more, so far 2 have started to grow, probably a third soon

Started 3 more seeds today. Using a dropper to barely keep the insertion hole moist

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Long overdue update:

Had a few setbacks with the white cubes as they either hold too much water or dry out to fast. Trial and Error

3 seeds are now seedlings (YEAH)

I combined 4 air stones 24/7 plus a 160 gph pump on a timer 2 minutes on/50 minutes off, with pump tube inserted into a plastic bottle that has holes in it, partially filled with a combination of platonic solids and small marbles: this to simulate water rushing down a stream that enriches the water/nutes with enhanced oxygen

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK a few pictures

The plastic soda bottle needs a bit more experimentation as to how many holes and hole size, as well as pump gph. This over soaks the net pots and I am fearful to soak the strter cubes and get root rot yet again.

I will try my small ~ 60 gph pump again as I need a bit more space to put blue ice pack in this 3 gallon tote with the ~ 6xs physically larger pump

The larger pump causes too much water pressure inside the bottle, which spits long streams of nutes out the sides of the the lid and into the igloo, so I drilled 3 larger holes but I think I can do better, or it would be better in a deeper tote, which could work similar to the pseudo LPA aero without constant clogged mist heads: Such is life when experimenting

On a positive note, all 3 babies are growing with roots exiting all net pots. The color adjustments did not allow me to get accurate green: leafs are normal green. Fingers crossed

View attachment 510303 View attachment 510304

View attachment 510305

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just replaced the 260 gph pump with an 80 gph pump. That works great in a small tote

Roots are looking really good with lots of fish bone root hairs

Im sure some of you know whaT a HUGE sigh of relief this is for me

:woohoo:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
will post pics tomorrow, but DAMN. Wait until you see the amazing roots. Tops now jumping up.

In the mean time, here's a 'recent' YTV on Aeroponics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOwBPYfKs9Q

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
what a difference in just 7 days

update on my new technique for starting seedlings, and probably clones (see previous post of bottle) with platonic solids, which imitates the DO effects of a running stream= energizes the nute solution

Still dialing in the o/o times. Once I hit the mark the leafs should be reaching for the light

Obviously when the roots are lifted out of the nutes, they cling together, oh, and the yellow lid causes the root pics to look off, but they are snow white

View attachment 511453 View attachment 511454

View attachment 511455

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
CAUTION:

When I added the plastic bottle I put holes all around (360*s) which meant a lot of solution was splashing up onto the underside of the lid which eventually caused the starter cubes to get soaked, leading to droopy plants (and light tan roots), all because I took too long to replace it with one where the holes were on one side, which I could rotate aiming the holes directly into the solution

Yesterday I made a h2o2 solution and soaked the roots for about an hour, making sure to get h2o2 up into the starter cubes. White roots now. Plants look a little bit better today, and should be 100 later in the day

bigbadbillybob

I rememebr reading about thes e o2 grow emitters a while ago, from none other than Heath Robinson, who reckoned they would emit too much o2 and turn the plants toxic.

the other thing is-Cal me cynical, but if they worked, surely everyone would be using them- they aren't.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember reading about thes e o2 grow emitters a while ago, from none other than Heath Robinson, who reckoned they would emit too much o2 and turn the plants toxic.

the other thing is-Call me cynical, but if they worked, surely everyone would be using them- they aren't.

Well, first, the O2Grow has a built in 30 minute on time then shuts off (I think for 4 hours)

The O2G is kind of expensive, which is one deterrent, and as I have discovered (they don't tell you this) it must be used with plants that have an established root system

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The corner has been turned

1/3 has s pretty decent amount of new roots and is growing again
1/3 has a few new roots and is beginning to look better
3/3 is lagging behind

Pictures taken Friday 2 are much improved today. The plant roots pictured has roughly 4xs as many roots

View attachment 512552 View attachment 512553

Mr. J

Is this just an experimental garden where you try a bunch of stuff and it doesn't really matter if you ever harvest anything, and you also have a real garden where you actually grow weed? If not, then what do you smoke?

brickweeder

if I want more DO in solution than can be delivered via airstones and an air pump, I am going to get a used medical oxygen concentrator off craigslist for $50 and simply run 90-95% pure O2 through my airstones instead of spending beaucoup $ on any O2grow product. But that's just me.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if I want more DO in solution than can be delivered via airstones and an air pump, I am going to get a used medical oxygen concentrator off craigslist for $50 and simply run 90-95% pure O2 through my airstones instead of spending beaucoup $ on any O2grow product. But that's just me.

Sound idea. Do you have access to O2 canisters and proper metering devices?

Keep us posted

Latest posts

Latest posts