What's new

Can I increase my odds of getting a male for breeding?

vostok

Veteran
I'm looking to do a seed run and have a limited number of seeds to work with (6.) I'm working with Northern Lights. I purchased 20 of them a couple years ago (I don't grow much) and have never gotten a male despite them being regs. Is there a way to increase my odds of getting a male to work with?

I'm with Chimera, on this one ....lol

but depending on your skill as a grower, you may wanna look up Colloidal Silver, (DIY) and make you own feminized seeds, thats about jumping 2-5 years ahead of the average noobie ...lol

good luck "V"

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It is interesting that you seem more concerned with my rudeness then the facts or truth in this case.
To be clear do you think that Cannabis has a sexual habit like hairy melons in that colder temperatures for seedlings cause a higher incidence of females? So therefore higher temperatures give more males?
You know I have been at this a while, 49 years growing so far and I have not seen it. I have grown millions of seeds, (Produced even more) started in the freezing cold and blazing heat never saw Cannabis sex ratios altered by temperatures. I have grown mostly outdoors. And I kept track of sex ratios as a SOP.
I do not have proof other then my experience like I did not have proof when I stated that THCV does not get you high, or more then a decade ago when I claimed that terpenes were what created most of the differences in effects in herbal Cannabis not the Cannabinoids. These were based on my personal experience not a science article written by someone else. I am for science guided by a vision based on experience. If you find many experiences based on many sides going in the 100% opposite directions then for sure someone is wrong. I heard the much the same when I first made the claim that THCV does not get you high or when I said that the right terpenes + THC can get you much higher then the same weight of 100% pure THC. People said it was not true THCV is better then THC and they knew it. And that all the different Cannabinoids is what makes all the Cannabis effects different. But most USA Cannabis only has THC so where did all the different effects come from? Terpenes and THC it turned out.
Anyway like much with Cannabis, people will believe what they want whether it is true or not. Cannabis science has to be one of the more difficult to do for many reasons, illegality being number one. Established belief systems number two.
But the science can be done so if you want to try and prove it, do so. Or at least try and prove it.
Also might I suggest you quit trying to change my behavior it has zero effect and is a waste of time that you could be using for some valuable endeavor. When I see stupidity I am motivated to comment and attempt to correct, and comparing hairy melons sex ratios to Cannabis sex ratios because of cold or heat was just to much.
Plants are different, sex ratios in different plants are controlled by different factors. Apples and oranges, or Cannabis and hairy melons in this case.
-SamS

social capabilities is something very important, it avoids fights.
a pretty direct guy ok but the lack of diplomacy does not make you more valuable.
and because you are retired that does not relieve you from your duties
on how to enjoy and get along with any kind of contributor.

people do many things as a habit running the same attitude for a long time
maybe even a life time maybe even many life times worth of experience

like the earth is a plate or that earth is the center of the universe
that does not change the fact that its still not proven.

and you can have plenty of reputation but as long as you do not give me
a genetic explanation, i am rather willing to click on links like hairy water melons
trying to understand genetics from a new perspective then to read retired bs.

i keep reading many experiences from many sides
going in 100% opposite directions so whats true?
i will keep my eyes open and see and i hope you do 2.

:tiphat:

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
""STS the female and you will have male pollen to use for breeding.""

ok, this is the part that i don't get. when you say that if you reverse a female with STS you would get male pollen, i don't understand how. i understand you would get pollen, but i thought they would be female pollen only. by that i mean they would contain an X chromosome and would result in female only offspring.

Sam, are you meaning that if you use STS and reverse a female plant to produce pollen, that you would get male offspring? or were you meaning the plant would produce pollen?

i didn't follow genetics that well in school. it wasn't as interesting then as it is now. here's what ii am basing my question on (i apologize if its pedantic, just wanted to establish my lines of thought)

my understanding is that there are 10 pairs of chromosomes in Cannabis, including an pair of sex chromosomes that determines the gender that plant will usually show and will always pass on to future progeny.

from reading these threads, I've started to learn that there are many factors that can affect the gender appearance of a plant and that appearance can be independent of the chromosomal make up, meaning XX plants can appear male, either completely staminate dominant or variably, with some female and some male flower expression. similarly, XY plants can sometimes appear female only.

regardless of the appearance, i thought that a plant with an XX genotype could only pass female gametes, or gametes with X chromosomes. in an XX plant that was reversed and that showed male flower only, the pollen from those male flowers, to my previous understanding, should have only X chromosomes. any offspring from pollination from that plant should result in female only offspring.

in an XY plant, female expression can also occur/be induced, but only half of gametes produced would contain an X chromosome. the others would have a Y chromosome.

If an XY plant with a female appearance becomes pollinated (XY x XY), the expected mendelian ratio of the gender in the offspring would be 1XX : 2XY : 1YY. The YY's would likely not survive so the actual female to male ratio should be 1:2. Let me know if i got that wrong, it's taking me more thinking than i'm used to doing.

i don't want to speak for anyone as i'll almost certainly mistate their position, but it seems a lot of the division in this discussion centers on what we mean when we say the sex of a plant. the appearance isn't as useful a determinant of sex as is the capability to pass on gender: a female plant can only pass female genes to her progeny, regardless of her gender appearance.

i figured that for the simple gardener, the test for gender, for this species anyway, is not whether it looks like a male or a female, but the offspring it produces. as Chimera has discussed, you can also do DNA analysis (karyotyping, dna fingure printing, etc) to confirm a plant's genetic gender (i.e. its reproductive potential) but he's a professional breeder and botonist. Most of the rest of us don't have the skills and resources that he does to use modern technology to confirm the genetic gender.

i thought i was beginning to understand this stuff but was thrown off by the comment about getting male pollen from using STS. i just don;t understand how that could happen.

and finally, to get back to the OP's original question of : "Is there a way to increase my odds of getting a male to work with?", my answer has nothing to do with any of these mental gymnastics. The surest way, as i see it, is: buy some more Northern Lights seeds.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
""STS the female and you will have male pollen to use for breeding.""

ok, this is the part that i don't get. when you say that if you reverse a female with STS you would get male pollen, i don't understand how. i understand you would get pollen, but i thought they would be female pollen only. by that i mean they would contain an X chromosome and would result in female only offspring.

Sam, are you meaning that if you use STS and reverse a female plant to produce pollen, that you would get male offspring? or were you meaning the plant would produce pollen?

THE LATTER.

i didn't follow genetics that well in school. it wasn't as interesting then as it is now. here's what ii am basing my question on (i apologize if its pedantic, just wanted to establish my lines of thought)

my understanding is that there are 10 pairs of chromosomes in Cannabis, including an pair of sex chromosomes that determines the gender that plant will usually show and will always pass on to future progeny.

from reading these threads, I've started to learn that there are many factors that can affect the gender appearance of a plant and that appearance can be independent of the chromosomal make up, meaning XX plants can appear male, either completely staminate dominant or variably, with some female and some male flower expression. similarly, XY plants can sometimes appear female only.

IT IS STILL GENE BASED. MAYBE INTER-SEX GENE BASED.

regardless of the appearance, i thought that a plant with an XX genotype could only pass female gametes, or gametes with X chromosomes. in an XX plant that was reversed and that showed male flower only, the pollen from those male flowers, to my previous understanding, should have only X chromosomes. any offspring from pollination from that plant should result in female only offspring.

CORRECT.

in an XY plant, female expression can also occur/be induced, but only half of gametes produced would contain an X chromosome. the others would have a Y chromosome.

If an XY plant with a female appearance becomes pollinated (XY x XY), the expected mendelian ratio of the gender in the offspring would be 1XX : 2XY : 1YY. The YY's would likely not survive so the actual female to male ratio should be 1:2. Let me know if i got that wrong, it's taking me more thinking than i'm used to doing.

AN XY PLANT THAT LOOKS MOSTLY FEMALE I BET HAS INTER-SEX GENES.

i don't want to speak for anyone as i'll almost certainly mistate their position, but it seems a lot of the division in this discussion centers on what we mean when we say the sex of a plant. the appearance isn't as useful a determinant of sex as is the capability to pass on gender: a female plant can only pass female genes to her progeny, regardless of her gender appearance.

CORRCT BUT IF A FEMALE PLANT HAS INTER-SEX GENES THEY GET PASSED ON ALSO.

i figured that for the simple gardener, the test for gender, for this species anyway, is not whether it looks like a male or a female, but the offspring it produces. as Chimera has discussed, you can also do DNA analysis (karyotyping, dna fingure printing, etc) to confirm a plant's genetic gender (i.e. its reproductive potential) but he's a professional breeder and botonist. Most of the rest of us don't have the skills and resources that he does to use modern technology to confirm the genetic gender.

i thought i was beginning to understand this stuff but was thrown off by the comment about getting male pollen from using STS. i just don;t understand how that could happen.

IT IS POLLEN, NOT "MALE" ONLY POLLEN.

and finally, to get back to the OP's original question of : "Is there a way to increase my odds of getting a male to work with?", my answer has nothing to do with any of these mental gymnastics. The surest way, as i see it, is: buy some more Northern Lights seeds.

I AGREE STS A FEMALE CLONE GETS MORE FEMALE ONLY SEEDS SO BUY MORE SEEDS OR TREAT THE FEMALE WITH STS AND TRANSFORM THE FEMALE TO A MALE TO MAKE POLLEN TO BREED WITH. EITHER WAY YOU HAVE MORE "MALES" ALTHO IN THE CASE OF STS YOU DO NOT GET SEEDS THAT WILL GROW MALES IF YOU THINK YOU NEED THEM TO BREED, I THINK IT IS OK TO USE A REAL MALE WITH POLLEN THAT IS 50/50 M/F OR STS POLLEN THAT WILL ONLY GIVE ALL FEMALES. BOTH NEED TO HAVE SEVERE STRESS AND TESTING SELECTION ON ANY PARENTS USED TO MAKE SEEDS IF YOU WANT TO AVOID INTER-SEX PROGENY.
-SamS

Last edited:

DrPimpNugs

Asche, hes defensive and rude because he has provided no information to backup his ranting other than that hes grown "millions" of seeds. You may grow the dankest bud on earth but that's like saying 17th century astronomers know as much as astrophysicists. Commercial marijuana breeders, are not laboratory botanist. I linked you to an article with citations to over 30 studies done on the effects of temp on three budding and fruiting species. So your saying that cannabis does not phenotypically express sex but only every other trait but sex only is genotypical. Show me one shred. Back when this whole online grow thing started it was about compiling scientific information about an underground plant looks like its a bunch of seed sellers trying to quell anyone who raises an eyebrow at what they got to say.

This is extremely disappointing behavior to see and sad that it might have discouraged someone just a bit newer to it than ms. But new to science? Most certainly never!

P.s. Mr skunk man u made my argument for me. They do have both sets of genetics and are hermaphoditic innately however that "suppression" is a phenotypical response to stimuli.. According to the scientific research that stimuli includes temperature and you can come up with funny nicknames for the flowering plants used in the studies but until you show me one with cannabis you are no more right than anyone else brother!

onavelzy

Veteran
I AGREE STS A FEMALE CLONE GETS MORE FEMALE ONLY SEEDS SO BUY MORE SEEDS OR TREAT THE FEMALE WITH STS AND TRANSFORM THE FEMALE TO A MALE TO MAKE POLLEN TO BREED WITH. EITHER WAY YOU HAVE MORE "MALES" ALTHO IN THE CASE OF STS YOU DO NOT GET SEEDS THAT WILL GROW MALES IF YOU THINK YOU NEED THEM TO BREED, I THINK IT IS OK TO USE A REAL MALE WITH POLLEN THAT IS 50/50 M/F OR STS POLLEN THAT WILL ONLY GIVE ALL FEMALES. BOTH NEED TO HAVE SEVERE STRESS AND TESTING SELECTION ON ANY PARENTS USED TO MAKE SEEDS IF YOU WANT TO AVOID INTER-SEX PROGENY.
-SamS

thx for the reply Sam. from your previous comments, i was pretty sure that's what you meant but didn't want to assume. i hope i didn't word that long assed post of mine in such a way that it seemed critical. i just re=read it and realized i said the same thing about three different times. well, composition was never my strong point in school either.

you're retired? well, maybe from the production side, but thankfully you're here helping us learn from your experience, so you're now kind of a professor emeritus? i very much appreciate the opportunity to learn from someone who has the history and background that you do.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Commercial marijuana breeders, are not laboratory botanist. I linked you to an article with citations to over 30 studies done on the effects of temp on three budding and fruiting species.

THAT WERE NOT DONE WITH CANNABIS, PERIOD.
ARE YOU SAYING A PLANT IS A PLANT IS A PLANT? REGARDLESS OF SPECIES?

So your saying that cannabis does not phenotypically express sex but only every other trait but sex only is genotypical. Show me one shred. Back when this whole online grow thing started it was about compiling scientific information about an underground plant looks like its a bunch of seed sellers trying to quell anyone who raises an eyebrow at what they got to say.

SEX IS NOT A TRAIT. TRAITS MAY BE SEX LINKED.
ALL TRAITS ARE GENOTYPICAL, EXPRESSION IS PHENOTYPICAL.
I AM A LITTLE BIT MORE THEN A SEED SELLER, ALTHOUGH I WAS THE FIRST ONE.
SEX IS GENOTYPICAL, EXPRESSION OF INTER-SEX IS MODERATED BY ENVIRONMENTAL STRESS, NOT M/F RATIOS.

This is extremely disappointing behavior to see and sad that it might have discouraged someone just a bit newer to it than ms. But new to science? Most certainly never!

P.s. Mr skunk man u made my argument for me. They do have both sets of genetics and are hermaphoditic innately however that "suppression" is a phenotypical response to stimuli.. According to the scientific research that stimuli includes temperature and you can come up with funny nicknames for the flowering plants used in the studies but until you show me one with cannabis you are no more right than anyone else brother!

IT IS NOT A FUNNY NAME IT IS CALLED "HAIRY MELON" I HAVE GROWN THEM SEVERAL TIMES.

BTW, I CAN NOT SHOW A STUDY THAT TERPENES MODIFY THC AND CREATE THE MOST OF THE DIFFERENT EFFECTS FOUND IN CANNABIS, SO I GUESS ACCORDING TO YOU, I AM NO MORE RIGHT THEN ANYONE ELSE ABOUT TERPENES?
RIDICULOUS.
ABOUT THCV, I SAID IT WAS NOT PSYCHOACTIVE WHEN I TRIED IT PURE AROUND 2000 I PUBLICLY STATED IT WAS NOT ACTIVE BUT FEW BELIEVED ME UNTIL MY FRIEND DR ROGER PERTWEE PROVED IT WAS AN CB1 ANTAGONIST AND PUBLISHED IN 2007. NOW IT IS WELL KNOWN.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/sj.bjp.0706414/full

AGAIN I SUGGEST YOU DO A TRIAL WHERE YOU EITHER HEAT OR CHILL SEEDLINGS AND TRY AND ALTER THE 50/50 M/F RATIOS, USE AT LEAST 100 SEEDS FOR EACH TRIAL TO AVOID SMALL NUMBERS SCREWING THE RESULTS. GOOD LUCK.....
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT LARGE NUMBERS OF CANNABIS PLANTS THEN USE HAIRY MELONS, LIKE YOUR REFERENCE.....
-SAMS

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Woah dudes - Chill the fuck out.

Woah dudes - Chill the fuck out.

HAHAHAHAHAHA People in here are taking shit on Sam the Skunkman?

SAM THE SKUNK
MAN?

DO YOU PEOPLE EVEN REALIZE WHO THIS GUY IS?!?!?!?!

HE IS A LEGEND!!!!!!

SAM - so sorry the new kids on the block aren't being cool.

thanks for your input - and well behaved professional responses!

You people are stupid as fuck to not listen to Sam and to even come in here and say outlandish things like "hes defensive and rude because he has provided no information to backup his ranting other than that hes grown "millions" of seeds"

I write this because ICMag is losing extremely VALUABLE members. THE REAL OGs.

Please don't push away - pick on - or cause trouble for Sam the Skunkman - we are BEYOND BLESSED to have his presence and more than SPOILED to be able to talk to him and receive his wisdom.

You mother fuckers make me sick.

Good vibes and blessings everyone!

Keep it green - and remember - WE ARE ON THE SAME TEAM!!!!

:smoke out:

DrPimpNugs

IT IS NOT A FUNNY NAME IT IS CALLED "HAIRY MELON" I HAVE GROWN THEM SEVERAL TIMES.

BTW, I CAN NOT SHOW A STUDY THAT TERPENES MODIFY THC AND CREATE THE MOST OF THE DIFFERENT EFFECTS FOUND IN CANNABIS, SO I GUESS ACCORDING TO YOU, I AM NO MORE RIGHT THEN ANYONE ELSE ABOUT TERPENES?
RIDICULOUS.
ABOUT THCV, I SAID IT WAS NOT PSYCHOACTIVE WHEN I TRIED IT PURE AROUND 2000 I PUBLICLY STATED IT WAS NOT ACTIVE BUT FEW BELIEVED ME UNTIL MY FRIEND DR ROGER PERTWEE PROVED IT WAS AN CB1 ANTAGONIST AND PUBLISHED IN 2007. NOW IT IS WELL KNOWN.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/sj.bjp.0706414/full

AGAIN I SUGGEST YOU DO A TRIAL WHERE YOU EITHER HEAT OR CHILL SEEDLINGS AND TRY AND ALTER THE 50/50 M/F RATIOS, USE AT LEAST 100 SEEDS FOR EACH TRIAL TO AVOID SMALL NUMBERS SCREWING THE RESULTS. GOOD LUCK.....
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT LARGE NUMBERS OF CANNABIS PLANTS THEN USE HAIRY MELONS, LIKE YOUR REFERENCE.....
-SAMS

Yeah except you were talking on a genetic level, which are statements that could be true, but they could also be caused by other factors if you cant scientifically prove it. Just because theres a connection between two things you are noticing, terpenes and the variation in potency of smoke, doesnt mean it is the terpenes 100%. More than likely it is, but we can't state it as a scientific fact.

I jumped into this thread deep into it and posted one link to an article on hairy melons and cucumbers and this legendary grower went capslock on me. I dont think the new guys are doing anything wrong, just want to make sure we know shit how we were taught in colleges.

A

Asche

LyryC you have some points i agree but i would not see it so absolute.
we are moving in a field in which everybody sees what they experienced
and where taught.. but to kill all possibilities just right from the start
instead of understanding what really is changing or is at least responsible
for the sex will not lead to success.

under the line we are not gods, even we might know what happens
when we put a seed in the soil and throw some water over it.

hairy melons may not be cannabis but they have genes
like human and every other being either,

genes which do follow a specific order through hormones
and can be altered through changes which may be chemical
but to pick this idea about the temperature out once more
it is sure that it creates a chemical reaction such as well..

so if thats enough to change a seeds sex or not
i leave totally to you guys who grew many of them

but i know for my part that the answer is not really given yet...

so why not just really chilling out and behave with each other
and not just dominating it straight down.

Reevage

the only way I know is to hermp the plant. this is not ideal because your stressing the plant so much it messes with the genetics. this his a high potential for your seeds to come out hermp too.

A

Asche

hmm.. when you use colloidal silver you actually cool a part of the genetics
i believe for now.... but the endproduct should be like sts the same
fem seeds and most of what i grew where actually quite alright.
i had a cindy which tended very very little towards herm

but i had an afghani indian colombian fem once which grew perfect
despite the yeald but that might just also be because i grew this one out
under fluorescence only.

so in the end i believe that the light heat condition also could be responsible
for inducing herm, but i might just try that strain again.

generally breeding with fem is a no go, from what i read
but still some do it and it brings out nice stuff
peyote purple for example.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Altering hormones, not genetics. The plant remains female.
Your goal with CS/STS is basically to suppress the femaleness
of your plant. She will still flower, but will make pollen, most of
which, will produce female seeds.

Treatments which reduce the ethylene level in the tissues (hypo-baric conditions, treatment with benzothiodiazole) or antagonize the action of ethylene (CO2) cause the formation of male or bisexual flowers in place of female ones (Byers et al. 1972)

There is more to this discussion than beliefs and anecdotal
evidence. Tempers flare because science being debated as
equal to belief should make any rational soul's blood boil.

Breeding with fem is totally okay. I'll get the citations later.

Still waiting for a post proving environment determines the sex.

DrPimpNugs

Spent about 5 minutes on google, heres what I found:

Sexuality in plants and its hormonal regulation.
Authors
Chaĭlakhyan, M. Kh.; Khrianin, V. N. (Khryanin, V. N.); Loroch, V.; Thimann, K. V.

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19881670179.html;jsessionid=8B415EBD3FFA432D86C4E74A9DACF232

"The main conclusions drawn are that gibberellins promote a shift to maleness and auxins and cytokinins a shift to femaleness, with the roots being largely responsible for female sex expression (through cytokinin synthesis) and the leaves for male sex expression (through gibberellin synthesis), and that growth regulators must be applied as early as possible to be effective. (1) the receptor organs of the plant respond to ecological factors by altering the hormonal system and (2) the internal hormonal factors influence the genetic apparatus."

http://www.plantcell.org/content/5/10/1241.short

Sex determination in flowering plants.
S L Dellaporta and A Calderon-Urrea

"In many ways, plants offer unique systems through which to study sex determination. Because the production of unisexual flowers has evolved independently in many plant species, different and novel mechanisms may be operational. Hence, there is probably not one unifying mechanism that explains sex determination in plants.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00346825
Sex change in plants: Old and new observations and new hypotheses
D. C. Freeman, K. T. Harper, E. L. Charnov

Evidence is presented that individuals of a large number of dioecious and subdioecious plant species are able to alter their sexual state in response to changes in the ambient environment and/or changes in size or age.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1360138508002884?cc=y
Global warming and sexual plant reproduction
Afif Hedhly

The sexual reproductive phase in plants might be particularly vulnerable to the effects of global warming. The direct effect of temperature changes on the reproductive process has been documented previously, and recent data from other physiological processes that are affected by rising temperatures seem to reinforce the susceptibility of the reproductive process to a changing climate. But the reproductive phase also provides the plant with an opportunity to adapt to environmental changes. Understanding phenotypic plasticity and gametophyte selection for prevailing temperatures, along with possible epigenetic changes during this process, could provide new insights into plant evolution under a global-warming scenario.

I hope you give me some karma for taking my time to prove something to YOU so YOU can know more. Embrace science, ditch the hearsay! This feels like im doing someone elses homework... :tiphat:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I agree to embrace science and ditch the hearsay. Real science is not done in a few minutes on the internet. It can take years of observation.
I am not surprised it only took you 5 minutes to find these 4 references.
None of the references are specifically about Cannabis, rather about sexuality in plants. None were proof that cold induces a higher incidence of male plants with Cannabis.
Your own reference says "Hence, there is probably not one unifying mechanism that explains sex determination in plants."
So not all plant species sexual ratios are altered by cold.
In other words while cold may well induce changes in M/F sexual ratios in many seedling plants it does does not in all species of plants. As far as I have seen, In Cannabis does not.
Until you have done cold trials with large numbers of seeds say over 1000 the results are meaningless. If I plant normal seeds sometimes I may get 9 out of 10 seeds female or 7 out of 10 male but the odds but if I plant thousands I get 50/50 M/F.
I have done this many many times, I kept track of the sex ratios, I never saw what you speak of.

Do you think cold will make all female seeds turn male? Why not?
It is the cold not the genes right? So Try and do so......

I do not ever give karma to me it is meaningless, anyway none of the references proved anything about Cannabis and cold altering the sex ratios of seedlings.
BTW, In general Cannabis is not under threat from global warming, Cannabis is found growing from the far north to the equator a few degrees more will not be a problem for Cannabis.
A much bigger threat to Cannabis is law enforcement.

The first non Cannabis reference is from CABI, they published one of my books.
-SamS

Spent about 5 minutes on google, heres what I found:

Sexuality in plants and its hormonal regulation.
Authors
Chaĭlakhyan, M. Kh.; Khrianin, V. N. (Khryanin, V. N.); Loroch, V.; Thimann, K. V.

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19881670179.html;jsessionid=8B415EBD3FFA432D86C4E74A9DACF232

"The main conclusions drawn are that gibberellins promote a shift to maleness and auxins and cytokinins a shift to femaleness, with the roots being largely responsible for female sex expression (through cytokinin synthesis) and the leaves for male sex expression (through gibberellin synthesis), and that growth regulators must be applied as early as possible to be effective. (1) the receptor organs of the plant respond to ecological factors by altering the hormonal system and (2) the internal hormonal factors influence the genetic apparatus."

http://www.plantcell.org/content/5/10/1241.short

Sex determination in flowering plants.
S L Dellaporta and A Calderon-Urrea

"In many ways, plants offer unique systems through which to study sex determination. Because the production of unisexual flowers has evolved independently in many plant species, different and novel mechanisms may be operational. Hence, there is probably not one unifying mechanism that explains sex determination in plants.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00346825
Sex change in plants: Old and new observations and new hypotheses
D. C. Freeman, K. T. Harper, E. L. Charnov

Evidence is presented that individuals of a large number of dioecious and subdioecious plant species are able to alter their sexual state in response to changes in the ambient environment and/or changes in size or age.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1360138508002884?cc=y
Global warming and sexual plant reproduction
Afif Hedhly

The sexual reproductive phase in plants might be particularly vulnerable to the effects of global warming. The direct effect of temperature changes on the reproductive process has been documented previously, and recent data from other physiological processes that are affected by rising temperatures seem to reinforce the susceptibility of the reproductive process to a changing climate. But the reproductive phase also provides the plant with an opportunity to adapt to environmental changes. Understanding phenotypic plasticity and gametophyte selection for prevailing temperatures, along with possible epigenetic changes during this process, could provide new insights into plant evolution under a global-warming scenario.

I hope you give me some karma for taking my time to prove something to YOU so YOU can know more. Embrace science, ditch the hearsay! This feels like im doing someone elses homework... :tiphat:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I agree that breeding with fem can be ok.
That said as with male female breeding it might be a good idea to not use plants with inter-sex genes, and the same with fem to female breeding know and test your clones before you breed with them. And do not use inter-sex fem's or females to make seeds.
-SamS

Altering hormones, not genetics. The plant remains female.
Your goal with CS/STS is basically to suppress the femaleness
of your plant. She will still flower, but will make pollen, most of
which, will produce female seeds.

Treatments which reduce the ethylene level in the tissues (hypo-baric conditions, treatment with benzothiodiazole) or antagonize the action of ethylene (CO2) cause the formation of male or bisexual flowers in place of female ones (Byers et al. 1972)

There is more to this discussion than beliefs and anecdotal
evidence. Tempers flare because science being debated as
equal to belief should make any rational soul's blood boil.

Breeding with fem is totally okay. I'll get the citations later.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is taking all the fun out of growing.

you want more males or more females - buy more seeds. simple.

No need to become a scientist and waste extra time and money on trying to control nature...

man is just not made to control nature - so let it go - and just grow!

A

Asche

most of the people reading here should know how to make fem thats not the discussion
more important is what actually happens to the sex when that happens.

are those fem females hidden males does it hide away an expression
or how could one explain what actually happens when you make feminized seeds.

but anyway you can define the sex before you grow the seeds through chemical treatment
having clear females that means when we can alter the sex for the genes in the seeds,
we may also alter it els wise and maybe even at another stage of it being influenced
chemically or however.

DrPimpNug posted a series of very interesting aspects and did some research
on some very appropriate relevant issues, does not matter how long it takes
and if we search for the word cannabis only we sure might never solve anything.

to understand the genetics of the plants it might be helpful to look a little aside for once.
real botany was done long before cannabis growers called themselves "breeders".

cannabis plants from far north to the equator adapted over a long period,
that means when we place an equatorial sativa without rework somewhere into the north
you stress the plant whatever consequences that might have.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
someone needs to sprout thousands of seeds and do their own tests.....sorry my grows are pathetic now for the moment so I cant help......

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I agree that breeding with fem can be ok.
That said as with male female breeding it might be a good idea to not use plants with inter-sex genes, and the same with fem to female breeding know and test your clones before you breed with them. And do not use inter-sex fem's or females to make seeds.
-SamS

Thanks, Sam. It was a lazy post on my part. Always
test your girls before selfing them, natch.

Here's a good thread about sex and selfing:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=172277

Latest posts

Latest posts