What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can any Breeder/pheno hunter explain to me WTF is going on??

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No...I was saying that evidence now suggests, that if one revegged a plant, for taking cuttings to keep the line going, if the plant had viroid, which a fair majority of plants out there do whether you believe it or not, then one would be selecting for a high viroid load off the bat. The primary and initial negative effect that the viroid has on the plant, is inhibition of hormone production, primarily IAA, the hormone that makes a shoot, shoot and makes apical dominant growth, and IBA, the rooting hormone. That is why before you see a loss of quality, before viroid loads get high, if one notices the subtle changes, the main one is the lowered rooting, and lowered shooting, less roots mean less bud mass also so before loss of quality you see loss of yield but also one would see a loss of vigor attempting to reveg, and one would almost ensure that the clones would be high load of the bat, if the parent plant was infected but had low load of infection..it is what it is..it is science..I am just repeating what scientific study has shown us.

IAA gets metabolized into IBA, and visa versa, this is well known.. though loss, of course, of the conversion, and the two hormones are intimately related. When flowering is initiated, the hormone profile of the weed changes dramatically, rooting slows down, and basically stops by week 3 for most hybrids, and also the shooting and upward growth stops, and the plant starts producing only flowers. IAA and IBA production has ended by second week flowering I'd guess and you are seeing the residual effects of the going round from tips to tips of tops to roots round and round until its all broken down, nothing more being produced at that stage.

Now when one reveg's a plant, one must get it to exit its natural stage of death, and get its hormones going again that it hasn't gotten going in 2 months. That is a stressful cycle for the plant but given time it will begin to wake up and get going. Now...if and when there is another factor involved like hpvld, then the momentum of getting going again and getting into the swing of things again takes a lot longer and becomes a lot more hit and miss as the hormones you need the plant to make to get going again are the first thing hit by viroid, and in addition, the lower popcorn buds where one would typically reveg from, are specifically the sites on even a tolerant plant where flowering tops would test negative (this was shown in lab by Medical Genomics' study that I brought up before), even on one of those plants, it was almost guaranteed to have a decent viroid load in the popcorn bud that went post term. When and if you so watch that video on that talk/study, you will remember this..put 2 and 2 together..viroid and revegging, once you understand how widespread viroid is, are intrinsically connected. To try come up with conclusions, looking at ones attempts and experiments, without taking viroid into account, is wasting your time.

If one has revegged a plant and its leaves continue to grow 3 blades long after the clone has been cut and grown out, then it is obvious that something is affecting the hormones of the plant. If that plant was taken back to its embryonic state and cleaned up in a lab, and and you grew it out, it would grow out to normal form once hormone production had come right. The reveg plant should do just the same but quicker, unless there is something you are not taking into account affecting hormones. In my experience, the most common thing in weed in this day and age that primarily affects hormone production is hplvd infection. So once again one can put 2 and 2 together. It is not the cause per se, but it is a likely to be cause.

Anyways, I took the time and made the effort to go and take pics, and write all these explanations up for you, not for you actually, but for you and the community...I feel that this is that important, I haven't posted much in the last two years, nevermind put up pics, I am WAY too busy growing tons of weed. If I wasnt though, I would probably be in the same boat as most here..I'm trying to let folks know, the boat, she is heading towards to rocks. Personally, me and my team have already changed boats and are on a different course to what we were on, you can carry on heading for the rocks if you like, it's a free world, but I will sleep better at night knowing I warned anyone who was prepared to listen.

I mean just go to seeds here now..their landing page cover picture..that plant is clearly infected just by the eye LOL..that already means high viroid load. That is how widespread it is. Once ones eye is trained..look at most breeder pics on any site, you can't not see it once your eye is trained in. It is in most stuff, obvious to those who've seen enough of it, oblvious those who haven't. You dont even need to see much either of it, most have only seen stuff growing with it, just need to see the full spectrum. Most have never seen truly clean, unless they have sourced actually clean stuff and maintain proper biosecurity, so hence cannot compare. I have shown mates of mine in pics, explained, and they after saw it everywhere in their grows, testing currently, and yup its in everything. I've shown mates of mine the plants themselves and they after are like fuck bra, I've always just grown with this...them only beginning to grow within the last 2 decades..

If one doesnt believe this is completely widespread, one is head in the sand ostrich style.
You have any clear pics of these signs ( veg pics) you talk about that everyone has so we can spot it easier, or any pics you see online that have it.

My friend in maine USA says everyone has hlvd these days , all clone spots everyone.
He says everyone is going back to seed as all clone vendors have it.

I don't take in clones much, very rarely but always expect bugs/disease and always do a run away from my mothers to test it out.

Many of the old famous clones clearly have viruses , ECSD defo having it after going from 1 of the best strains ever a decade plus ago to 99% of people's mediocre.
I used to think it was the broadmite that ruined the ECSD clone that 99% of people run these days , lost 90% of its Funk. Don't get me wrong some people still have a good ECSD cut but most have a seriously weak diluted ECSD these days

ost

I would take a guess that they would be more rare in the landrace fields..though if not selecting parent plants for seed, and not rotating crops, it could be an issue. If western seeds are being spread in the landrace fields, then it could be anywhere..In indoors, where we have been germinating seeds from all sort of sources, and buying/trading clones, keeping mothers and propagating vegetatively, it will be widespread already.
yep most likely everywhere,except ioslated spots!

ost

You have any clear pics of these signs ( veg pics) you talk about that everyone has so we can spot it easier, or any pics you see online that have it.

My friend in maine USA says everyone has hlvd these days , all clone spots everyone.
He says everyone is going back to seed as all clone vendors have it.

I don't take in clones much, very rarely but always expect bugs/disease and always do a run away from my mothers to test it out.

Many of the old famous clones clearly have viruses , ECSD defo having it after going from 1 of the best strains ever a decade plus ago to 99% of people's mediocre.
I used to think it was the broadmite that ruined the ECSD clone that 99% of people run these days , lost 90% of its Funk. Don't get me wrong some people still have a good ECSD cut but most have a seriously weak diluted ECSD these days
very true sadly to say!:(

ost

I'll put up some pics when I get chance...OJD bud, sent you PM, I've clogged this thread enough already.
some of us really need more info ,just started to grow in the last three years after a 20 year break,kinda lost when it comes to a lot of things that are happening now !i have been hearing it(hplv) is carried by seed also!

I think it’s all in your head. If you are absolutely sure the seed weed is different than the clone flowers, there are only two possibilities.

1) You’re seeing different phenotypes due to differences in the environment.
OR
2) Your dry / curing environment is different between seed : clone runs.

That’s it. There’s no other variables, besides pathogens, which should be entirely unrelated to your seed vs clone problem.

Or maybe his nute profile isn't growing good roots. Seed roots much different from clone roots. I had a Cannabis breeder tell me he feeds low P to increase root colonization. All that he's doing is dumping his terps into to the soil attempting to lure in fungal carbon thieves.

Summary: Cannabis's natural response to shitty roots is to dump its flavor into the soil and attract fungal networks. This has been sold to the cannabis community as a good thing, while it's quite possibly the worst thing you can do to cannabis. Ask any Cannabis expert how to grow the best roots. And do the opposite they're all wrong.

sublingual

It looks like I was right in thinking about what substance helps generate smells in Cannabis, Sulfur compounds.

Verdant Whisperer

It looks like I was right in thinking about what substance helps generate smells in Cannabis, Sulfur compounds.

Post from my Blog: dated Oct 8th stating the same information, this is not new information, just new to the person who published this study and alot of readers. they did not mention aldahydes, tannins, and alot of other compounds besides esters and sulfur compounds and alchohols that also contribute to cannabis's unqiue smell.

October 08, 2023

FLAVONOIDS IN CANNABIS​

Terpenes: Terpenes are a large and diverse class of natural organic compounds produced by plants and some insects. They contribute to the characteristic scents and flavors of cannabis and play various ecological roles.

Alpha-pinene – [Primary] Fresh Woody Scent, with Earthy undertones.

Limonene - [Primary] - Light, Fresh, and Sweet Citrus Scent

Myrcene - [Primary] - Herbal Scent, with Earthy and Fruity notes.

BCP - [Primary] - Spicy/Woody

Phytol - [Primary] - Floral and Grassy Scent.

Linalool – [Secondary] – Floral and Spicy notes.

Humulene – [Secondary] Woody, Earthy and Spicy.
Ocimene- [Secondary] Herbal, Citrus, and Woody Scents.
Terpinolene – [Secondary] Sweet, Herbal with subtle hints of Woodiness and touches of Citrus.
Beta-Pinene – [Secondary] Earthy, Woody, Piney.
Aldehydes: Aldehydes are organic compounds characterized by a carbonyl group attached to a hydrogen atom. They contribute to the scent and flavor profile of cannabis.
  1. Hexanal
  • Aroma: Grassy, green, slightly nutty.
  • Flavor: Fresh, slightly nutty.
  1. Nonanal
  • Aroma: Fruity, citrusy, waxy.
  • Flavor: Fruity, citrus-like.
  1. Decanal
  • Aroma: Citrusy, fatty, waxy.
  • Flavor: Citrus-like, fatty.
  1. Octanal
  • Aroma: Citrusy, waxy, orange-like.
  • Flavor: Citrusy, fruity.
  1. Benzaldehyde
  • Aroma: Almond-like, slightly cherry.
  • Flavor: Almond, cherry-like.
  1. Anisaldehyde
  • Aroma: Sweet, anise-like, licorice.
  • Flavor: Sweet, licorice-like.
  1. Cinnamaldehyde
  • Aroma: Spicy, sweet, cinnamon.
  • Flavor: Warm, sweet, cinnamon.
  1. Vanillin (4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzaldehyde)
  • Aroma: Sweet, creamy, vanilla.
  • Flavor: Sweet, vanilla-like.
Ketones: Ketones are organic compounds with a carbonyl group bonded to two carbon atoms. They contribute to the aroma and flavor of cannabis.
  1. 2-Heptanone
  • Aroma: Fruity, sweet, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Sweet, fruity, slightly floral.
  1. 2-Nonanone
  • Aroma: Fruity, waxy, nutty.
  • Flavor: Fruity, waxy, nutty.
  1. 2-Undecanone
  • Flavor: Sweet, fruity, slightly floral.
  1. 2-Tridecanone
  • Aroma: Herbal, woody, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Herbal, woody, slightly floral.
  1. 2-Pentadecanone
  • Aroma: Sweet, waxy, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Sweet, waxy.
  1. Cyclopentanone
  • Aroma: Minty, earthy, slightly nutty.
  • Flavor: Minty, earthy, slightly nutty.
  1. Cyclohexanone
  • Aroma: Pungent, slightly nutty.
  • Flavor: Pungent, nutty.
  1. Acetophenone
  • Aroma: Sweet, slightly nutty, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Sweet, nutty, slightly floral.
Esters: Esters are compounds formed by the reaction of an alcohol with an organic acid. They contribute to the fruity and sweet notes in cannabis.
  1. Methyl Acetate
  • Aroma: Sweet, fruity, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Fruity, sweet.
  1. Ethyl Butanoate
  • Aroma: Fruity, sweet, pineapple-like.
  • Flavor: Fruity, pineapple-like.
  1. Ethyl Hexanoate
  • Aroma: Fruity, sweet, apple-like.
  • Flavor: Fruity, apple-like.
  1. Methyl Butanoate
  • Aroma: Fruity, sweet, pineapple-like.
  • Flavor: Fruity, pineapple-like.
  1. Methyl Hexanoate
  • Aroma: Fruity, sweet, apple-like.
  • Flavor: Fruity, apple-like.
  1. Ethyl Acetate
  • Aroma: Sweet, fruity, slightly floral.
  1. Butyl Acetate
  1. Hexyl Acetate
  1. Isoamyl Acetate
  • Aroma: Fruity, banana-like, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Fruity, banana-like.
  1. Methyl Salicylate
  • Aroma: Sweet, wintergreen, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Wintergreen, slightly sweet.
  1. Ethyl Cinnamate
  • Aroma: Sweet, fruity, slightly spicy.
  • Flavor: Sweet, fruity, slightly spicy.
Alcohols: Alcohols are organic compounds with a hydroxyl group attached to a carbon atom. They can contribute to the overall aroma and flavor profile of cannabis.
  1. Methanol (Methyl Alcohol)
  • Aroma: Slightly sweet, slightly pungent.
  • Flavor: Slightly sweet, somewhat astringent.
  1. Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol)
  • Aroma: Slightly sweet, mild.
  • Flavor: Slightly sweet, mild.
  1. 1-Propanol (n-Propanol)
  • Flavor: Slightly sweet, slightly pungent.
  1. 2-Propanol (Isopropanol)
  • Flavor: Slightly sweet, slightly pungent.
  1. 1-Butanol (n-Butanol)
  • Aroma: Sweet, slightly fruity.
  • Flavor: Sweet, slightly fruity.
  1. 2-Butanol (sec-Butanol)
  • Aroma: Sweet, slightly fruity.
  • Flavor: Sweet, slightly fruity.
  1. Isoamyl Alcohol (3-Methyl-1-butanol)
  • Aroma: Slightly sweet, fruity, banana-like.
  • Flavor: Sweet, fruity, banana-like.
  1. 1-Octanol (n-Octanol)
  • Aroma: Sweet, fatty, slightly floral.
  • Flavor: Sweet, fatty, slightly floral.
  1. 2-Phenylethanol (Phenylethyl Alcohol)
  • Aroma: Floral, rose-like.
  • Flavor: Floral, slightly sweet.
  1. Geraniol
  • Aroma: Floral, rosy, fruity.
  • Flavor: Floral, fruity, sweet.
Phenols: Phenols are aromatic compounds containing a hydroxyl group bonded to a benzene ring. They contribute to the overall scent and taste of cannabis.
  1. Catechol
  • Aroma: Sweet, smoky, slightly medicinal.
  • Flavor: Slightly sweet, smoky.
  1. Resorcinol
  • Aroma: Sweet, medicinal, slightly woody.
  • Flavor: Sweet, slightly medicinal.
  1. Eugenol
  • Aroma: Spicy, clove-like, slightly sweet.
  • Flavor: Spicy, clove-like.
  1. Guaiacol
  • Aroma: Smoky, woody, slightly medicinal.
  • Flavor: Smoky, woody.
  1. Pyrocatechol
  • Aroma: Sweet, smoky, slightly medicinal.
  • Flavor: Slightly sweet, smoky.
  1. Thymol
  • Aroma: Strong, herbaceous, slightly spicy.
  • Flavor: Strong, slightly spicy.
  1. Carvacrol
  • Aroma: Spicy, pungent, slightly medicinal.
  • Flavor: Spicy, slightly medicinal.
  1. Phenol (Hydroxybenzene)
  • Aroma: Medicinal, slightly sweet, slightly smoky.
  • Flavor: Medicinal, slightly sweet.
Sulfur Compounds: Sulfur compounds contribute to the pungent and sometimes unpleasant aromas of cannabis.
  1. Methanethiol (Methyl Mercaptan)
  • Aroma: Pungent, foul, like rotten cabbage or garlic.
  • Flavor: Pungent, sulfurous.
  1. Dimethyl Sulfide
  • Aroma: Sweet, slightly sulfurous, with a hint of cooked vegetables.
  • Flavor: Sweet, sulfurous.
  1. Dimethyl Disulfide
  • Aroma: Pungent, sulfurous, with notes of garlic and cabbage.
  1. Dimethyl Trisulfide
  • Aroma: Pungent, sulfurous, similar to cooked cabbage or garlic.
  1. Methional
  • Aroma: Cooked potato-like, slightly sulfurous.
  • Flavor: Cooked potato-like, slightly sulfurous.
  1. Thiophene
  • Aroma: Sweet, slightly sulfurous, with hints of garlic or cabbage.
  1. Dibenzothiophene
  • Aroma: Sweet, sulfurous, with faint hints of gasoline.
Tannins: Tannins are a type of polyphenol compound found in plants, including cannabis. They contribute to astringency and bitterness.
  1. Gallic Acid
  • Aroma: Woody, slightly astringent, earthy.
  • Flavor: Astringent, slightly bitter.
  1. Ellagic Acid
  • Aroma: Earthy, slightly astringent.
  1. Epicatechin
  • Aroma: Mildly sweet, woody, slightly astringent.
  1. Epicatechin Gallate
  1. Epigallocatechin
  1. Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG)

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user

Led grown dont produce or produce very small amount of SC no SC no real pungent weed.

And this about viruses is I dont know what to say
nothing in is world alone or sterile.
Not our plants are...plants these days are breed and grown in almost perfect indoor setups for years and they chase taste and smell only, not even yild anymore.
Normal if you put such genetics in green house or outdoors they will have problems cuz they cant handle stress.
Next time you cross something to OG again have that in mind.
Its all botelnecked genetics these days.

Just when I compare Jack and Widow they have much more of vigor and all kind of resistence than Bruce Banger.
Also led lighting dont do much for plant imune system...etc..

I have cutting grow them for years and they are always good if im doing things right way.

Last edited:

vincentevans

Your insights and experiences are invaluable, and I'm here, eager to absorb, understand, and share in the wonder of it all.
For those looking for reliable loan options similar to CashNetUSA, exploring other loan sites can provide additional choices and flexibility. You might find it helpful to check out this list of loan sites like CashNetUSA at this https://paydaysay.com/loan-sites-like-cashnetusa/ webpage.

Last edited:
Its called attackes from all fronts, and I can relate and believe it, if someone is planning to infiltrate your garden, it will have to be very clever and subtle.
Led Lights are def a part of the grand scheme at place, but they figured not everyone will switch, so they moved to another front, making lame seeds with barley any work done, but they knew people kept cuts and could spread them around quickly, so they resorted to infect everything via clones, seeds etc..

@maryjaneismyfre, thank you, you are a true mr truth man ;)
What you say fits the bill on why we see such reduction of quality everywhere in the world, no matter led, sun, hps...
If what you say about seed shells is true, it explains where the problem stems even in so called clean gardens.
Its an eye opener for me fosure, I saw the problem and felt it in the smoke, couldn't put my finger on it.
I never figured how my commercial friends ran the same clone for more than 10 years with excellent results, just to end up with a shit smoke In the last few years... like what happened ? could it be that they mingle with infected plants or bad practices and time of reckoning has come for those famous clones ?
The timeline of this is very strange aswell, like it took the weed world in a storm and it's on all fronts now, only big money can make that happen...

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Aktooally,
There are many species of trees, especially along the US west coast, dying from Chinese lab-made viruses.
The fungal attack of the wine industry is said by some to come from China, as well. Its so bad that all the vineyards have to graft their varieties onto rootstock of one variety that is resistant.
This agro-economic warfare from China has been going on for decades, and that's not counting the energy and environmental manipulation they are doing which borders on the conspiracy theory side. But the fungal attacks are verified
Everyone worried about covid.. Thank God China isn't attacking our crops with man-made virus, just our humans..

little-soldier

Ahh good old china. let them kill us little by little while we keep buying all our goods from them because...we can't compete with a communist country. Maybe one day we will become communists too and force people to work for pennies...coming to a country near you

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Just saw original question and have not read all responses. Did you ever figure it out? I have bought a bunch of shit clones from miscreant vendors, who all have fusarium and/or pythium. Those can lay dormant for years. If using an aerocloner it can be infected sit for a long time, and if not thoroughly sterilized, it is spreader of disease. I use Snypes rockwool method, but he also has aerocloner method. Between batched he ran antibiotics through it for 10 days. Used to think he went overboard, with sterility, but now see he was right, and never had problems. When all I had was GG4 from Marrdogg, had no problems for 8 years. Got bored and wasted 2 years now with nothing to show between spider mites and molds from POS vendors.

Plants that do not die from mold will just produce crappy bud.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Its called attackes from all fronts, and I can relate and believe it, if someone is planning to infiltrate your garden, it will have to be very clever and subtle.
Led Lights are def a part of the grand scheme at place, but they figured not everyone will switch, so they moved to another front, making lame seeds with barley any work done, but they knew people kept cuts and could spread them around quickly, so they resorted to infect everything via clones, seeds etc..

@maryjaneismyfre, thank you, you are a true mr truth man ;)
What you say fits the bill on why we see such reduction of quality everywhere in the world, no matter led, sun, hps...
If what you say about seed shells is true, it explains where the problem stems even in so called clean gardens.
Its an eye opener for me fosure, I saw the problem and felt it in the smoke, couldn't put my finger on it.
I never figured how my commercial friends ran the same clone for more than 10 years with excellent results, just to end up with a shit smoke In the last few years... like what happened ? could it be that they mingle with infected plants or bad practices and time of reckoning has come for those famous clones ?
The timeline of this is very strange aswell, like it took the weed world in a storm and it's on all fronts now, only big money can make that happen...
There is no conspiracy, we are just a parallel to what is and has happened in the hops and other industries namely potatoes etc. Viroids are real. From a genetics stand point it seems the hvld evolved in cannabis and jumped to hops and not the other way round actually seeing as it has useless mimics of rna involved in thc and cannabanoid production. It is more latent in hops and less so in weed. Look once you get into it, the way we were doing things for the last 2 decades, even those clean, even TC labs, was bound to spread it, and quitely it did. There is definate tolerance in some varieties but unless one does all right as cannat says its off in quality, that is viroid or a viral disease im 99% sure. What he or others do not realize, is that old genetic that is maybe tolerant, or the one that is not and is noticely less of what it used to be, to grow it clean again, you won't believe how much difference it makes and we have just learned to grow with this shit over the years. People cull old tired sick plants too so its incidence has waxed and waned i am sure over the years, late 2000's I'd guess it was rife and again recently. Sam always spoke of an unknown infectious agent that was stuffing them around in early 80's and it sounds exactly like hops latent viroid, to the T. Look i wondered and speculated and and, but once we began testing it was quickly apparent. Yes we did have it, and everyone else did too, and it was coming in seed, and clones and TC that we were importing, all of it. My last tests were all CLEAN!!!! Yihaaaw! And I sent in a control sample from a mate who we thought would be clean as runs only one cut and its the same each run and really good, and his unfortunately was dirty..so it goes. It is FAR more prevalent that folks realize.

Once you have really had clean plants to play with you realize, fuck I wasted a lot of time!

As an example to how prevalent it is, I was speaking to an Auz mate, a respected member on here, this week about it, and I was like I wonder what the incidence in Auz hops is like, and started scouring for academic papers...and none have actually been published yet. I did find one study from last year I think, that is unpublished, that looked at hops farms across auz, to see what viral populations they had, and HVLD was in every garden, ubiquitous was the term used and no other figure..which literally would mean that every single sample in the entire study across auz was positive. It is that bad. Weed industry is just running a parallel of the other farming industries affected by viroids. Polish and other eastern european studies in the 80s or 90s or found the same thing. This has a nasty way of spreading easily unless great lengths are taken and proper SOPS are followed. I have maintained clean plants to feed my flowering areas with clean clones and I will have infection in flowering areas for some time but so long it stays there I will be ok. I cannot follow crop rotation or other techniques that are followed in other industries. I see viroid going so far back now that my eye is tuned to it..wow how I missed it IDK...LOL I just at times questioned my growing abilities!

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
The thing in life is you gotta put yer money where your mouth is...

lawns1.jpg

Over ten thousand clones in here, 1/3 of an acre..All identical to what the first clone off the seed plants were like. Like a lawn. No variation whatsoever. Why you think is that? ;) An area next door the same, another next to that the same, a bigger other area on the other side of my cottage and one three times that size 2.5 acres next to that...hundred thousand plants or more, all like identical, you'd think they were "clones" or something..huh..hows that?! LOL My employers agree with me now, cost us a packet, we have gone through literal tons of dry bleach nevermind..but the proof is in the pudding.