What's new

cali strain scene washed up, what do people want

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
All of my smoking buddies in Cali never stop talking about "purp." If you put something purple in front of them they will buy it up without even smelling it. Ridiculous if you ask me... but I don't grow purp so...

If you really want to start wowing people in Cali you need to go African Sativa. Things with THC-V in it, like a Yunnan Valley Landrace, or Durban Poison, will develop a name for themselves. Personally I plan on breeding Durban Poison with Skunk, Blueberry, and Trainwreck genetics early next year and picking a favorite.

Durban Poison does have purple influences too. The high is unlike anything on the market.There is no ceiling, you just keep getting higher and higher. The kind of bud that will make people pass up taking another hit off the blunt.

I think people are moving away from the mild/fuel/sweet smell and wanting more of that old school pine scent also. Any time someone breaks out that piney weed the whole room stops to ask what it is that's stinking the place up so bad.

Of all the purples though, steer clear of GDP. I've never found it to be a good strain. Just something an idiot could spend all day smoking through grams of trying to get higher.

THCV is a THC antagonist, it does not get you high.
Durban Poison is a variety I developed in Calif back in the 70's but it is no where as strong as other varieties like Original Haze.
But in the end it is about what you prefer, whatever it is.

-SamS

2Lazy

Durban Poison is a variety I developed in Calif back in the 70's but it is no where as strong as other varieties like Original Haze.

-SamS

I don't believe I claimed THC-V would make a person high.

My claim is that there is no ceiling in strains that have it present. You can keep smoking the stuff and you keep getting higher.

I've grown Durban Poison, 3 summers ago in San Jose (it was HOT outside but they did alright with a 100 day flowering on the last plant). Props for developing it... in California... Despite the claims that it is an original strain from the Rift Valley... But that's cool, I can take you at your word. Not that it matters either way; whether you took a land race and refined it or whether you whipped it up while trying to turn lead in to gold.

I also never made the claim Durban is or was as strong, or more strong, than the strongest haze on the planet. It's the reason I said I will be breeding it with Skunk, Blueberry, and Trainwreck. So that I can find a favorite cross strain with a high potency and a lack of ceiling. You're a breeder, you understand this mentality... right?

Why am I even defending myself? I definitely don't like feeling as though I need to defend points I haven't made, but then again, everything you said was accurate, and everything I said was accurate. We are in fact in agreement on different aspects of a similar topic.

bushweed

Veteran

-SamS

That's interesting Sam cos my old man smoked a strain called Durban Poison in South Africa in the early sixties, and he was an old-school fool who stopped smoking by the seventies and knows fuck all about strain names - and as such I tend to believe him. Not to disrespect the all time heavyweight champ, but I guess it's a question of Samantics - do you mean you developed the Durban Poison line in California in the seventies? Or do you mean you created it?

You are correct in that all I did was take seeds from S Africa, locally called Durban Poison, grow it for maybe 4 or 5 years in the 70's in Calif to clean it up from serious inter-sex problems, and produce dependable very early potent plants. I kept it pure.

-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dalaihempy

Dali - How you gonna dominate a market you have never seen or even been in?? Your only exp with this market(Cali) is what you read here! Unless trolling can be done in 3-d, I think are gonna continue trolling from your rock and continue being insignifigant there as well. Cant beleive it only took you 7 pages to show up and start spouting off about us elitest fake kush growers and your sativa revolution. When you dominate anything other than your computer screen I will stop growing altogether and start playing golf.

Lisen mate time you pull your head out of your ass and jump down off that high horse you ride around on.

What do you think we don't have a cannabis market here ? Think agine use some logic if there are 5 or 10 set clones being grown by 100 or 200 growers that are suplieing the main market place how long will it take before people get sick of the same smoke and how long before each grower starts to under cut each other it is what happens in a market place wake up to your self.

You guys have a hide to charge people 5 or 6 k for a pound of this so called elite mj and what did you expect people to take it up there ass and say thank you an oz should be no more than 200 to 250 even if its haze understand.

Do you think cali is the only place that has good cannabis flooding the market no even people here are so sick of the commercial cannabis the nice looking soled buds the size of your fist with no leaf at all on the flowers yet they don't want it they are seeking out nicely grown sativas because there sick of the 1 hour stone at best most give that they get use to with in a short time of scoring there oz they want to get high for hours.

Be smart think out side the square don't be greedy and you will get rid of your produce.

Rainman stop trolling me its getting tiring.

D

Dalaihempy

I grew the dutch version of Durban poison in the 80s didn't think to much of it it was very stable uniform nice mild high to it but like stronger smoke theirs a guy i know who was telling me when he lived in Durban he got hold of some purple Durban that was squote grew that there for years and then here but is a little exentric and want shear lol.

Burt

Veteran
"appalachiaxsourkush sound fuckin nice.can u tell me more about it."
sure-appalachia is a hybrid that a member-H&L bred-it is chem4 X greencrack-i popped 2-got a killer mom and then crossed it to the JLP freebie sour kush-when else am I gonna get this genetic punch again i thought to myself? it came out really nice and still retains the quick finishing time of the GC clone only-50-55 daze but with a beefier chem influenced top nug that is hard as a rock and smells wonderful-although my bros girl is missing the fuel funk odor from the chem-his is straight up mangoes
i still have the male and plan on cloning him again for a big seed run to my selected Sour D IBL-she has TMV bad but I can't part with her-maybe a cross will prove more resilient-so far none of my SD X blueberry ladies have shown any TMV signs and it is the same SD IBL mom
I also found a mad decent sour kush lady-actually 2 but the beefier one was weak sauce-aka big bud or GDP strength-the keeper does need a solid cure for the diesel fumes to materialize-10 days is perfect
the keeper will be seeded by the above said sour kush dad-this is a great line and when F2'd will really let peeps find that perfect blend of Sour and OG
blaze on

Burt

Veteran
BTW-the durban that the teepee wooks keep in hadley, mass was amazing-to this day, i haven't found a better jamming weed
i still remember the grizzled head passing a pinner around-no way in hell i said and then 10 minutes later-WOW-i only hit it twice
imo-it was as good as the ny/boston haze for my needs anyway-hiking, sex, music, writing papers

REZDOG

Veteran
Fuckin'-A....
Some people just don't get It.

2Lazy....
F-Y-fucking-I:
Sam is one of the foremost cannabis researchers living,and has likely done more for "modern" cannabis than anyone living today.
He forgets more about cannabis while taking his morning dump,than you'll ever know.
Instead of making statements at Sam,if I was you,I'd (humbly) ask him questions that might further your goal.
With a better attitude,you might actually get help that money cannot buy.

I've said this multiple times over the years-
Sam is a seriously undervalued and under-appreciated resource here at ICM.
As a world-leading researcher,what he gets "per hour" to tell people like the makers of Sativex how to go about their business,is probably a bundle-and that he even bothers trying to help some of you,is beyond me,and speaks of his love for the plant,volumes!
I've spent time speaking with Sam,in Holland,though not nearly enough.
Mainly,when I'm around Sam,I shut the fuck UP,and listen,and try not to ask any dumb questions,
and he never ceases to amaze me with his shared wellspring of cannabis knowledge.

That said,I sincerely suggest you fucking appreciate what you've got here,with Sam,
or before you know it,he,and all his knowledge,will be gone.

~RD~

. . . .

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
I see a different problem.
You have great strains Kushes, Sour Diesel, Chems, all kinds off elites (as you say)...
But maybe people are just getting bored with them.
Smoking the same stuff every day can get anoing.
I think there is a need for something completely new..
Bred from scratch to the top notch.
There is material for this: Good pure Indicas like Deep Chunk, X18, PTK, Taskenti, Purple Paki and nice sativas like Ace`s Panama, Thai, Malawi, all kinds of good landraces.
Those stuff take allot of time ofcouce...
But make something new, that no one has tried before and I`m sure it will be the bomb.
This is how I see the tings.

2Lazy

Fuckin'-A....
Some people just don't get It.

2Lazy....
F-Y-fucking-I:
Sam is one of the foremost cannabis researchers living,and has likely done more for "modern" cannabis than anyone living today.
He forgets more about cannabis while taking his morning dump,than you'll ever know.
Instead of making statements at Sam,if I was you,I'd (humbly) ask him questions that might further your goal.
With a better attitude,you might actually get help that money cannot buy.

I've said this multiple times over the years-
Sam is a seriously undervalued and under-appreciated resource here at ICM.
As a world-leading researcher,what he gets "per hour" to tell people like the makers of Sativex how to go about their business,is probably a bundle-and that he even bothers trying to help some of you,is beyond me,and speaks of his love for the plant,volumes!
I've spent time speaking with Sam,in Holland,though not nearly enough.
Mainly,when I'm around Sam,I shut the fuck UP,and listen,and try not to ask any dumb questions,
and he never ceases to amaze me with his shared wellspring of cannabis knowledge.

That said,I sincerely suggest you fucking appreciate what you've got here,with Sam,
or before you know it,he,and all his knowledge,will be gone.

~RD~

. . . .

Wholly shit. Seriously!!!

Whoppity fuckity do homie, you know Sam. Sam knows a bunch of stuff, and he's all old, and he's been at it for years, and people pay him. I should blow that cock and swallow those marbles right? Well, maybe not. You appear to have that job slobbered.

I respect his journey and I appreciate his support here. Why you think otherwise is beyond me.
I do value the experience in breeding and growing he can provide, just so we are clear on that.

I never meant any disrespect to Sam (especially above, I was just being graphic). But myself, and other people, are a little questionable about his claim of developing Durban Poison. I don't think it's outrageous, but I also don't think it really matters... Just kind of tooting his horn. Whatever though, if I'd developed that strain I'd toot too. If anyone could just come in to a thread and make that claim, it would d be him, but still - you shoot me for my skepticism?

What did I say that was SOOO terrible???

F-bomb this. F-Bomb that. Fucking ridiculous. This is how you handle yourself? Your business? The fuck is that about? I find your behavior here to be outrageous. I've done nothing wrong. Attacked no one. You want to address me personally, then I think as a moderator you should know as well as anyone how to send a PM.

@Sam, I do not mean to appear to be hostile in conversation, towards you at least. I felt like the discussions were in control but if you don't think so then I am sorry.

@Rezdog, You have a problem. PM me. You want to start a bow to sam thread then do it, and quiet your opinion. Rhetorically, what's the point of having someone with great info around here if your attitude will repel the people who would benefit the most?

Burt

Veteran
Dear Sam,

I've always wanted to ask you the following

1) what is the best hybrid to come out in the last 10 years in your opinion?
2) what jar/strain do you reach for first? deserted island question
3) is allegria just a colombian leaning pheno of Sk#1?
4) if peeps want that old afghani, can it be sourced through a large enough seed pool from the Skunk?
5) does the flying duthman have a 20+% thc content moma skunk of yours like they claim?
6) what qualities does a male impart in the outcross? Can this be generalized? I ask because I can't tell from my limited crosses-the male doesn't seem to show in the hybrids-perhaps the stretch so far
7) Can early pistil hairs-fuzzy compared to non-fuzzy be a useful indicator of potency?
8) hollow stem male theory and its superioirity-any science behind this?

blessings and thanks in advance
*others are welcome to chime in but it would be great if the master commented*

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
with decriminalization....comes these 'problems.'

why would one pay YOU to grow the same damn thing someone else could do in THEIR backyard.

y'all cant sell anything anymore because:
1. decriminalization has made access more widely available, and less scary.
2. y'all hype and trade your cuts SO much everyone either has the same thing, or has run it already and realize your elites yield like shit.

idk.....
just an outside observation, because, if you bring these cuts and flowers ANYWHERE else in the US and you'll still see high end prices being paid.

you wanted it decriminalized?
take the good with the bad, i suppose.

-cap

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Rez is just a ICMAG Supporter not a mod, not trying to start shit but he does have a point cuz it kinda seemed like you were being a know it all looking from outside. I've learned A LOT about my attitude and where it will get me here, I went from pure asshole CFL freak to a somewhat respected tester for private breeders which hopefully will get me on a list of bigger breeders. Also I've learned not to argue and just listen and learn when around those with much more experience than me... ICMAG is a priceless goldmine I try to treat it that way since I've learned 75% of my growing knowledge from here... Again just an outside observation

erbium

Humble Pie released a song in 72 that mentions Durban Poison and a bunch of other fun stuff.

"30 Days in the Hole"

Gov't Mule kills this song.

I am glad to see these "medical" growers losing their asses now. They took advantage of a poorly worded bill and a lot of people thought the money would keep pouring in. Good luck paying for those multiple houses in the San Francisco suburbs with the way the prices are going!

The outdoor harvest is right around the corner and prices are about to drop even more.

I'll be in Bolinas at Smiley's enjoying all of your hard work.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Dalitrol - Nobody is trolling your ignorant self but you. You keep showing up in threads all mad at Cali growers and Cali Kushes like they stole your girlfrfiend! So dont get butthurt when people get tired of it and you. I bet you do have a market in whatever shithole you hail from, so what!!! This is the Cali scene thread remember!!?? A place you never been and smoke you have never tasted or sold, so what does "your" market got to do with the price of tea in China!? 10 20 set clones? 200 growers? You clown there are hundreds of clones and prolly 200 growers just in my city who rock big grows. Its only a tiny part of our evergrowing statewide market. So the only thing people are sick of is idots speaking on ish they dont know ish about.

I dont think I have a hide but if I did it wouldnt chap at someone wanting to pay 6k for a pizo of my delectable homegrown fool. I doubt if soemone came to you with that in hand for a lb you would be like "no you should just give me half of that". Child please! And you can get 200 -250 an ounce stuff all day here!! Just not my stuff! So what are you talking about?? Oh thats rite you dont have a clue cause you never been here and dont know shit about the market!! If your market is wet in the panties over your 100 day sativas then speak on that in ""Dali is taking over the market in bumfuck yada yada with his sativa" thread!! That would be smart, as you call it, cause you would be speaking on something in a country where you might just have a clue. Unlike this thread where you got diarhhea of the jaw on a subject you are lacking knowlkedge of.

I will try to think outside the square when im at the produce stand next go round. You try to post in a thread that you actually have knowledge of and maybe I wont keep have to keep showing you the door.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
The market is a cold hearted bitch with NO mercy. Oversupply and the lack of new products will lower your margins.

Everygrower should pop seeds. Sure keep your clones running but keep on searching for something new.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Dear Sam,

I've always wanted to ask you the following

4) if peeps want that old afghani, can it be sourced through a large enough seed pool from the Skunk?
5) does the flying duthman have a 20+% thc content moma skunk of yours like they claim?
6) what qualities does a male impart in the outcross? Can this be generalized? I ask because I can't tell from my limited crosses-the male doesn't seem to show in the hybrids-perhaps the stretch so far
7) Can early pistil hairs-fuzzy compared to non-fuzzy be a useful indicator of potency?

blessings and thanks in advance
*others are welcome to chime in but it would be great if the master commented*

First of all I prefer SamS, not Master. I'll do this one time.

For what end use?

Really, I am not a bud smoker. I love O Haze and its hybrids resin.

No idea.

It would be easier from Skunk #1 seeds produced from several mothers and fathers. Much of the Skunk #1 people see is descended from a sweet leaning mother and a sweet leaning father as that is what I preferred, but I do have many different moms and pops kept for a long long time. Remember Skunk #1 is only 1/4 Afgh.

If they say they do then I am sure they have a very potent moma for a long time now. I helped many people select great clones to keep.

Flower off your male as a female with a treatment of ethephon
(2-chloroethanephosphonic acid) and begin to answer it for your self. Taste, Smell, Potency, Cannabinoid profiles, Vigor, and too many more to list.

No idea.

No Idea. I know I can grow most clones big and fast enough they will often have hollow stems. But like human studies of the skull, Phrenology, I am not so sure they mean anything at all.

-SamS

Burt

Veteran
humbled-thanks SamS!
i really appreciate your reply to #6-will do
have a great weekend everyone

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I don't believe I claimed THC-V would make a person high.

My claim is that there is no ceiling in strains that have it present. You can keep smoking the stuff and you keep getting higher.

Excuse me,
I thought you were repeating the old myth that THCV gets you higher then THC?
It does not get you high at all, and with THC it slows the onset, reduces peak experience and lengthens the experience of the THC.
A lot like CBD does.
It is the high THC only strains with the right terpenoids that give ceiling-less effects in my experience.
Never found it with varieties with THCV or CBD, unless the amounts were almost to little to measure with a GC and were not significant, well below .1%.
BTW 100% Pure THC mixed with THCV is not better in any way then the same amount of THC by itself, I tried it several times.
What is better is THC and the right terpenoids...
-SamS

W

whiterasta

-SamS

As one of the folks who grew this plant in 1975 I can attest to at least one "durban" strain that was developed in Cali. It was known on the central coast as Durban Death. It was one of the breakthrough varieties which brought cannabis out of the brick and into the bud.
As I remember it gave a wild first few buzzes and then one's tolerance would go up and it would not take you to the same place again without a extended break.
Plant was traditional Sativa with long internodes and airy long buds with a long top cola. If I remember right it finished from an early march start in late october early november. A local crossed it with a Columbian Gold and I grew it from 76-84 when I got a land race Afghani from a well connected spook incountry. Up till the Afghani the Durban and the cross were staples among the central cali growers for a few yrs.
Some day it would be really cool to sit down with some other old farts and write the history of sinsemilla as it arose from the imports in the seventies.There is a lot of history behind the folks who began cracking beans and looking for mommy.There is also a large hole in the picture from the early raids of N.Cal to the rise of seed banks and who supplied much of the early genetics.
It seems a lot of folks need history lessons and this is a hell of a story
WR:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts