What's new

cali strain scene washed up, what do people want

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
The problem is that people like to share experiences. Having the same cut float around allows us to be generic. I mean isn't it nice when someone says "oh you gotta try X, it's really good" rather than "oh you can't find this anywhere else".

I have my own moms I found and none of you have them. :p

S

SicKSKills

Wow, thanks everyone for so many replies, i dont have tons of time to spend online and this thread blew up quick while i was away.

thanks to the members who contributed positively to the thread, sam, rez, others...

i WISED UP and got back to the roots by ordering 10 packs of beans that i will grow and pop immediately, gonna make some crosses for my personal stash too how does rez chem ibl x shoreline clone gonna be a winner for sure. many others as well.

hopefully we see this market and more importantly this state/country/economy turn around. and hopefully someone that knows a thing or two about BALANCE shuts down these greed driven mega grow bullshit

JOJO420

Veteran
Maybe it's me????

Maybe it's me????

I am wondering if anyone else has this issue. I grow from seed every run.I also run clones. ALL PEOPLE WANT IS NAME BRAND ELITES.
When I have KILLER seed run bud, people ask the name, if I don't say OG, Chem or Diesel, they say " Oh It's not OG, nevermind" WTF????
I have over 100 killer strains in my seedbank, most of which are on par with the Cali elite's. I actually like variety, it just doesn't move.

memphis man

I think the only place you can still get 6k per lb is in the NE. All my people in the South are telling me they are getting tons of Colorado stuff, and it sucks compared to the Cali stuff they were getting before. The real reason: its not really Colorado herb. If you come to Colorado, we are literally inundated with B-grade Cali bud, since no one can unload it in Cali anymore. It then gets a "Colorado Homegrown MMJ" stamp on it, and gets passed down to other states. I've had some of the best herb in my life in Colorado, its just the quality producers here can't keep up with the demand, and the Cali B grade is filling that gap. That in turn gets pushed further down the line.....90% of exported Colorado bud is just repackaged California bud...
you hit the nail right slap dab on the head with this one

memphis man

I am wondering if anyone else has this issue. I grow from seed every run.I also run clones. ALL PEOPLE WANT IS NAME BRAND ELITES.
When I have KILLER seed run bud, people ask the name, if I don't say OG, Chem or Diesel, they say " Oh It's not OG, nevermind" WTF????
I have over 100 killer strains in my seedbank, most of which are on par with the Cali elite's. I actually like variety, it just doesn't move.
the reason people say this is because those names are known for bein lime green and very stanky. they are sure fire winners in the brains of smokers lol

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
wtf? When did SamS say that? I went looking and couldn't find where you quoted from (makes sense since your quote html didn't work).

I can't find my original post either, but I did post it.
"You are correct in that all I did was take seeds from S Africa, locally called Durban Poison, grow it for maybe 4 or 5 years in the 70's in Calif to clean it up from serious inter-sex problems, and produce dependable very early potent plants. I kept it pure."

-SamS

Re-Read post 159

OK?

Last edited:

JOJO420

Veteran
the reason people say this is because those names are known for bein lime green and very stanky. they are sure fire winners in the brains of smokers lol
In the Brains of New smokers maybe,lol People who just got into all of this are not well informed. They have been told whatever they want to hear, for money. People then pass on this so called knowledge to other people. The whole story is not being told correctly.

memphis man

In the Brains of New smokers maybe,lol People who just got into all of this are not well informed. They have been told whatever they want to hear, for money. People then pass on this so called knowledge to other people. The whole story is not being told correctly.
i agree with you 100 percent you should hear some of the names people come up with around here ive heard shit from everything is grandaddy to this is that californiabluebonacyrptachrona crossed with that ogchemicalsourdawgdiesel lmmfao

JOJO420

Veteran
PAST PRESENT N FUTURE

PAST PRESENT N FUTURE

So I ask this out of curiosity, Why back to the haze if haze has had its "hazday" so to say? What about different direction not already done before? Lines that were tightly held or inaccessible, what direction is that?
I for one feel like this PNG I am holding is my future. So is NL x OPT that I'm doing now. I am also way into the Neville's Haze x Mullimbimby Maddness that I'm holding also. These 3 are my future I feel.

D

Dalaihempy

Dalitrol - Nobody is trolling your ignorant self but you. You keep showing up in threads all mad at Cali growers and Cali Kushes like they stole your girlfrfiend! So dont get butthurt when people get tired of it and you. I bet you do have a market in whatever shithole you hail from, so what!!! This is the Cali scene thread remember!!?? A place you never been and smoke you have never tasted or sold, so what does "your" market got to do with the price of tea in China!? 10 20 set clones? 200 growers? You clown there are hundreds of clones and prolly 200 growers just in my city who rock big grows. Its only a tiny part of our evergrowing statewide market. So the only thing people are sick of is idots speaking on ish they dont know ish about.

I dont think I have a hide but if I did it wouldnt chap at someone wanting to pay 6k for a pizo of my delectable homegrown fool. I doubt if soemone came to you with that in hand for a lb you would be like "no you should just give me half of that". Child please! And you can get 200 -250 an ounce stuff all day here!! Just not my stuff! So what are you talking about?? Oh thats rite you dont have a clue cause you never been here and dont know shit about the market!! If your market is wet in the panties over your 100 day sativas then speak on that in ""Dali is taking over the market in bumfuck yada yada with his sativa" thread!! That would be smart, as you call it, cause you would be speaking on something in a country where you might just have a clue. Unlike this thread where you got diarhhea of the jaw on a subject you are lacking knowlkedge of.

I will try to think outside the square when im at the produce stand next go round. You try to post in a thread that you actually have knowledge of and maybe I wont keep have to keep showing you the door.

You really are a idiot mate 6 k a lb and you think its fine your a fool and don't you tell me were and or what i can post and understand this one thing amigo i am not hear to be told by you or any in this life what i should or should not being doing you are a nasty peace of work that gives cal growers a bad name you would be the type that would over charge a sick person for there meds hope the prices drop well past the coast fools like you spend to grow a crop then only real people that love this plant will be left growing it.

Fair to me is 28-32. All i keep hearing people wanna spend is low 2's. Grow your own you cheap fucks, otherwise pony up.

Somewhere along the line you're doing it wrong. 28 is mid high end, 32 is pure funk A++++ high end. Anything with less quality is selling for less these days. Like you say low two's... From the two posts of yours I've read thus far, I've gotta say it's my opinion that your nugs aren't super high quality. While they may be pretty damn good, they're not the best, and the best is what sells right now. That and low end stuff.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Dali - First off I didnt say I charged anything for a lb thats against tou. What I said was I wouldnt turn it away if that is where the market is. Amigo? Now your Mexican? If it helps you sleep at nite to believe that big ole bad Rainman is charging sick people outrageous amounts for herb in a place already flooded with it, then so be it. Goes to show again you dont know anything about the Cali scene that im givin such a bad name. As far as love for the plant goes, check the gallery nerd! I dont just love it, I lust after it on long cold nites like you long for friends and women. Peace!!, in the Middle East and im out.

W

whiterasta

We will see the market readjust when the price drops below 2K. At that point the profit margin will be much smaller and many "easy money" growers will drop out. I expect a centralized production of "commercial" products in the corporate grows but I have no doubt just as in the wine industry that there will be a number of small "boutique" growers fullfilling the connoisseur demand and an upswing in carefully tended and even hydroponic outdoor. One thing is sure to survive the grower better have a development program for new strains in order to stand out against the warehouse weed.
N.

Greenmopho

ALL PEOPLE WANT IS NAME BRAND ELITES.

This is the problem. In the last few years, MMJ in Cali has brought high quality to the masses. The masses weren't ready for it. The consumer isn't educated enough on the product, and since it was illegal for so long, the producer or provider (grower or middleman) has been under a vail of secrecy as well. So those that capitalized recently were mostly marketing ploys and such! I've overheard kids in Cali saying "I won't smoke dat shit if it ain't OG". This is because they don't know better and marketing has brainwashed them. We are all mental slaves to our surroundings and our experiences. We are living in a very vein and brand-conscious society. Your mp3 player isn't good enough if it isn't the newest Apple iPod, your shirt isn't good enough if it doesn't have a brand name logo on it, if you paid less than $100 for sneakers, you are wearing some busted as gear and you'll never get laid! This is what our society portrays. This same technique has been applied to strains. Also, there haven't really been any new landrace genetics introduced to Cali since the 80's, so the gene pool is a bit shallow at the moment. Its hard to find the next "Haze" or "OG" or "Bubba" when everything is just a diluted cross of what came before.

I need to take a long trip to Thailand and come back with some seeds to fuck up peoples heads....

2Lazy

I can't find my original post either, but I did post it.
"You are correct in that all I did was take seeds from S Africa, locally called Durban Poison, grow it for maybe 4 or 5 years in the 70's in Calif to clean it up from serious inter-sex problems, and produce dependable very early potent plants. I kept it pure."

-SamS

Re-Read post 159

OK?
Totally Ok.

Sam, I'm running some Lemon Skunk right now. She's gorgeous but I have 3 different pheno's from 5 seeds. Good ol' GHS... Anyway, I have you to thank for these vigorous little diddies, as well as quite a few good times out on West Cliff Dr. in Santa Cruz.

Speaking of Santa Cruz... The absolute best bud I've ever smoked was some G13 in the parking lot of Zanotto's in 2000. One hit and I was RIPPED for hours. The best comparison I can make to how stoned I was then is a time a buddy of mine rolled some red crystalline opium into a blunt of some GDP back in 2003. I do wonder what happened to it because I've had "g13" since then and it hasn't come anywhere near the place of my one and only encounter with the real G13.

Since then the next best I have had I got from Greenway Compassionate in January of 2009. It was called Skush, which I assume means a Skunk x Kush cross but I haven't seen it back there since.

As a consumer of fine California products, if anyone had the real G13 cut or the Skush I smoked I'd never buy anything else.

Burt

Veteran
"As a consumer of fine California products, if anyone had the real G13 cut or the Skush I smoked I'd never buy anything else."

what you refer to is a peak experience-would it bum you out if i told you had to fast for 10 days from that particular strain to get that same effect again?

2Lazy

"As a consumer of fine California products, if anyone had the real G13 cut or the Skush I smoked I'd never buy anything else."

what you refer to is a peak experience-would it bum you out if i told you had to fast for 10 days from that particular strain to get that same effect again?

Burn me out? Probably not. But why would I ever take 10 days off? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

If a 10 is a 10 and a 6 is a 6 then regardless of my level of "burnout" I can still compare the high to the scale and determine the value. If I smoke all day every day on an 8 and then I get a 10 I can still tell the 10 is better.

Also, the G13 and the Skush were like 9 years apart. I'll wait 10 days if I have to, it's better than 10 years.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the problem. In the last few years, MMJ in Cali has brought high quality to the masses. The masses weren't ready for it.....

i agree w everything you say, but should point out-here in san diego there IS NO QUALITY HERB that i have found in DISPENSARIES....nothing i would EVER smoke a second time...the quality of these grows is so bad it borders on criminal! i do remember once, 6 or 8 years ago a dispensary had sage and jack h they were selling for 80 an 1/8....i could only smoke maybe two hits out of the bowl then toss it, but the high was so instant on both i went back for more...so most of the medical mass down here may THINK they have tried top notch stuff...if the best they have ever gotten is from a dispensary they have never had good herb, regardless of the fake names the dispensaries put on it. and certainly havent had 'medicine'

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder why that is? are the diss owners just not aware of what they are buying. Seems like a untapped resource there. The growers should be putting there best dank on the shelf to get the patients to come back and also charge reasonable fee's

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im sure they are aware...but if people come in and spend thier money, cant expect the owners to NOT sell it...though i have absolutely no respect for 'medical' dispensaries, i have absolutely no moral issues w them...its not like they are selling cigs and booze or meth or junk....(segway to another fairly relevant topic) IF canna goes legit i think it will allow us to truly, for the first time focus on cannabis as medicine.(back to subject at hand)...i do understand some of the cush craze...i grow clones and seeds...but i love my og's, chems, and ecsd above most of the rest...hate to admit it, but when grown properly, this particular pool is one of the most outstanding ive found!