What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

CaptainDankness

Everything in Proportion, and APPROPRIATE abundance.

Silver & Lead are useless if you don't have any Salt.

But once you have enough Salt to last 5 years, buying more Salt doesn't help much.

Having a well full of water isn't useful if the electricity goes out - unless you got a backup or backups.

Yeah, you definitely don't want too much l lead, it's fairly easy to find, gun powder has more of a value for sure.

I'm not too big into salt but yeah spices where very valuable way back. Salt does have some value especially the further away you are from the ocean.

My well will do for a while without power since I have a generator, probably be the only time I break it out during something that serious load up water, take a shower and watch a movie. Lol

But silver in a bad situation is going to be absolutely worthless. Good to save up large sums of money long term though inflation hits the US dollar pretty good while the value of gold and silver always seem to go up over the years.

St. Phatty

Yeah, you definitely don't want too much l lead, it's fairly easy to find, gun powder has more of a value for sure.

But silver in a bad situation is going to be absolutely worthless. Good to save up large sums of money long term though inflation hits the US dollar pretty good while the value of gold and silver always seem to go up over the years.

I think Silver's fate is tied to its industrial uses.

If you ranked all the products that use Silver, the Apple iPhone would be #1 or near the top.

It's not like the Foxconn's of the world WANT to pay $40 an ounce for their solder paste, or for the silver films etc. in electronic components.

So I guess Solar panels would be duking it out with the iPhone for "who is the biggest industrial user of silver" award.

A person would need to do a web search and look at the top 5 product uses of Silver.

Then look at supply.

Overall, price action has been absolutely punishing suppliers since about 2015. You can't just shut down a mine that produces silver, especially since it usually produces other metals.

Since cost per ounce ranged from $9 to $22 an ounce in 2016 or 2017, last time I looked. Well there's a percentage of suppliers that were producing below cost.

And now many of them have shut down those mines.

This herky jerky sort of lumpy aspect to silver demand and silver production, inevitably leads to shortages.

Then investment money makes it twice as difficult for a while, for Foxconn purchasing agents to buy their Silver solder paste. Once the price moves to $22, it tends to over-react on the upside, like it did in 2011 and the late 70's.

I think the #1 trick for Silver owners is to stay calm cool & collected at both price extremes.

At the upper price extremes, you can trade 40 or fewer ounces of Silver for an ounce of Gold.

At the lower price extremes, you can trade 75+ ounces of Silver for an ounce of Gold.

Besides those 2 trades, I think the #2 trick is using your knowledge of the markets to help the young people in the family prepare for college.

Even when Gold is depressed in price, e.g. below $1300, a single roll of 1/10 ounce American Gold Eagles, 50 coins, 5 ounces, is one of the best gifts I can imagine giving to a young person preparing for college. It helps them next year, or 5 or 10 years out.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Silver at a two year low today.
$14.45 last I looked.
Gold at a 1.5 year low at $1174.00.

I just snagged 20 1oz Sunshine Mint bars from Provident.

Satyros

I believe the value of coins is that they are the only kind of lawful money.

Look at the Seventh Amendment: "In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law".

The Constitution defines a dollar as a Silver Dollar. You could pay twenty million federal reserve notes for an item, and it will never be covered by this. The only way to obtain any private property and have it covered by this protection is to buy it for twenty-one silver dollars at minimum.

So for instance, if I remove myself from the federal jurisdiction (i. e. citizenship), purchase a property in a private manner (not as real estate) for this minimum, then it becomes judgement proof. No default on something to where a judge can order a sheriff to seize it, no jurisdiction of statutory laws such as those regarding cannabis. Otherwise, at best, the state has a permanent tax lien and can always kick you out if you don't pay--that is the difference between estate and private property.

I can do the same with a vehicle and travel public highways with no license, no tag, no insurance, because I have removed their jurisdiction, and it belongs to me privately.

Sounds weird, but virtually every state constitution also protects private property, the trick is that no one really remembers what that means any more. The United States is the only place in the world where this is true; that is what it was founded for.

If I kill someone with the car, then yes, a jury could still convict me of manslaughter. Otherwise, they pretty much have to leave me alone, because I am not "operating for commercial purposes", which is the presumption of the licensing system--you are running a taxi.

Silver dollars can buy freedom. I am not aware of any other method.

You could not have a social security number, any kind of license, and no accounts, but you can still invest/buy/sell on a cash basis, with federal reserve notes if needed; or money orders or any medium of exchange that does not use a bank account or similar.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
As much as I like silver bars and such there really is something to holding a solid silver dollar.
I pick them up here and there at antique shops etc. All cull grade but I got these for an average of about 17 bucks each.
I found the 1842 Mexican 8 reales looking for arrowheads a few years ago. About 1 oz. .903 silver.

picture.php

Green Squall

Silver at a two year low today.
$14.45 last I looked.
Gold at a 1.5 year low at $1174.00.

I just snagged 20 1oz Sunshine Mint bars from Provident.

I just made an order myself through JM Bullion. I decided to go with the new Canadian Maple Leafs since they were only 14 cents more than the Sunshine Mint Bars (paid by check)

St. Phatty

Kind of on sale today.

The low in Dec. 2015 was around 13.75 & allowed people to buy Ag for $14.50 an ounce delivered.

agdec15.gif

agsep18.gif

Gold Silver Ratio is 84+.

St. Phatty

Love The Price Action

Love The Price Action

attachment.php

We'll have to wait a few days to find out what percentage of annual production, was sold as paper silver (promises to sell, not backed by physical) today to cause the temporary dip back to September levels.

Most of the time, this is part of the US "Strong Dollar" policy.

People who have the time & interest dissect the details & sometimes report interesting stuff at
https://www.silverdoctors.com/

If you download any of the webcasts, I suggest turning the volume down and advancing the timeline to about 2 minutes into the webcast.

The ads are like those Medeival spectres that turn people into stone.

Attachments

• silver.gif
    silver.gif
    17 KB · Views: 21

brickweeder

picked up some slv calls at 13.5 and 14 between 2-3 months ago, quite happy with this move. i know its paper, but its just a trade, not a hold, and there is no premium hit or spot price reduction like there often is when you sell the metal.

CaptainDankness

I think you are better off investing in stocks, if anything bad really happens you're going to be paying me a pound of silver for food and shelter for a few days.

brickweeder

I think you are better off investing in stocks....

Now that's funny...there will be a certain level of entertainment if/when the DOW/SP500 begin to limit down, especially watching the short put sellers play defense like they never have before...I have a small stock of popcorn just in case this bears out.

Whereas the POS tanked during the 08 crash, I suspect it will rise this time around, but only time will tell.

...if anything bad really happens you're going to be paying me a pound of silver for food and shelter for a few days.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I think you are better off investing in stocks, if anything bad really happens you're going to be paying me a pound of silver for food and shelter for a few days.

Nothing wrong with stocks if you understand them..

that said, I have food and I outright own my nice shelter..
The silver I own has increased in value by 20% in the past two months..