What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

brown_thumb

To make a long story short, my Grandmother saved her own life and those of her younger brother and sister with a 10 lb. bag of sugar in occupied France during WW2.

Did she trade it for food and/or protection... or did she smash an enemy soldier in the face with it?:D

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
No. She was able to trade their freedom for it.
Her older brother had been arrested and executed in reprisal for actions by the "resistance" and the Nazis came to round up the rest of the family. Her mother, my great grandmother, was a seamstress and had already been put in a labor camp sewing officer's uniforms, so my grandmother had been left home alone with her younger siblings. When they came into the house she offered the sugar in exchange. The soldiers started arguing among each other and after some threats and physical abuse they then grabbed the sugar and left. Two months later the war ended.
You couldnt say the word "Allemand" (German) in my great grandmother's home. If you did, she would slap that shit right out of your mouth. I only said it once when I was a kid..

Did she trade it for food and/or protection... or did she smash an enemy soldier in the face with it?:D

brown_thumb

No. She was able to trade their freedom for it.
Her older brother had been arrested and executed in reprisal for actions by the "resistance" and the Nazis came to round up the rest of the family. Her mother, my great grandmother, was a seamstress and had already been put in a labor camp sewing officer's uniforms, so my grandmother had been left home alone with her younger siblings. When they came into the house she offered the sugar in exchange. The soldiers started arguing among each other and after some threats and physical abuse they then grabbed the sugar and left. Two months later the war ended.
You couldnt say the word "Allemand" (German) in my great grandmother's home. If you did, she would slap that shit right out of your mouth. I only said it once when I was a kid..

Wow, that's a terrible story. At least a lucky few were saved. I'm sorry I joked about it... I didn't know all the facts.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I feel it is definitely better to have PMs in your personal possession.

And if you're buying it for a possible SHTF scenario, you want silver.
How are you gonna get change for your $1000 chunk of gold when you just wanna buy 3 dozen chicken eggs from your neighbor down the road??
High Bud... my question exactly.. shit hits the fan, gold is worth $2000/Z.. paper money is worth shit.. I have 10, 10oz bars.. ???
10x$2K=$20,000.. get change in gold? better to have 20, 1oz coins/bars, no? cost more i'll bet...
buy guns, ammo> cant eat gold but might is right 'in the wild' - barter and security.:tiphat:

brown_thumb

Right... if you're hedging against SHTF then you'd better have your other basic needs covered FIRST, then buy trading materials which are EASILY RECOGNIZED by the average person. Worn US silver coins fit this need better than any other precious metal.

Silver is far easier to trade with than gold, as was posted above, it's a matter of convenience. If you're dying of thirst then you will probably trade your entire stash of millions... for a liter of water. Wouldn't it be better to trade a can of beans for a gallon of water... or a quarter ounce of silver coins? It's definitely a heck of a lot cheaper.

One can't drink or eat silver or gold. One can't shoot or shelter within silver or gold. All these 'oh-so-pretty' shiny coins that are basically 'art' pieces... who's going to trade for something that can fairly easily be faked? Not me!! I'm buying just a few ounces of junk 90 percent silver coins... darned easy for anyone to recognize should the need arise to barter.

If I'm dying of thirst then I'll pay a boatload for a glass of water. If I'm starving to death then I'll pay a boatload for a can of beans. If I'm freezing to death then I'll pay a boatload for a place to be warm and dry. If someone is shooting at me then I'll pay a boatload for a few rifle or pistol cartridges.

Will silver or gold offer these basic needs? Sure... but in a dire emergnency you'll have to pay a shit-load for any of them. Stock up on SURVIVAL NEEDS first. Then... you MIGHT be able to trade for necessities too should the need arise... had you not stocked up on what's truly NECESSARY.

The wealthy get filthy-rich by investing in what the average person needs/wants. If your child was starving to death and you had no other options available... wouldn't you trade a full ounce of gold to fill his/her belly with a cheap can of beans? Most millionaires will charge you that much in dire circumstances. On the flip-side... would you trade away the last liter of water available to your child for that same can of beans. If you're the tiniest bit logical, you wouldn't!! However, you might be able to trade 10 gallons of water for 10 pounds of dried beans.

"A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!"

Floridian

Veteran
Wow Capt.Ahab I'll definitely check that now too busy today with medical shit to even go online.I like the sound of silver droppin like an anvil.I'm not betting on having to become a prepper although maybe that's a wrong way to hink on my part,I still have some general faith in society.I do like to think that in 15 or 20 years though that silver will be a lot more valuable than it is today.Everythings a gamble for sure and if this money wasn't given to me and I thought I'd need it for basic survival,I would never even consider gambling on anything.Now I have to check out the spot price,Thanks C.A

Floridian

Veteran
It seems the consensus at the moment is 15.59 which actually is up a few cents since yesterday.When I started looking it was over 17 bucks so that's real cool.Whether its a purchase of a 10oz bar at spot price in the beginning or getting 10oz at 100oz prices seems to be the only way to go doing this.Another words getting some kind of special deal that seems right,the seeming right is the difficult part lol.I think I'll have to throw some numbers at them and come really close to finalizing so they think it's sewn up then at the very end throw another discount ploy,it's not like if they say I'm fucked in the brain it's going to harm me in any way.Whoever I buy from is going to make a minimal amount on the sale and if I play it right,just want to end it lol!

brown_thumb

On average, a family only needs a couple of weeks survival water, food, fuel, etc. should an emergency arise. However, if the US economy flushes down the toilet... you'll need many years of provisions.

Wow Capt.Ahab I'll definitely check that now too busy today with medical shit to even go online.I like the sound of silver droppin like an anvil.I'm not betting on having to become a prepper although maybe that's a wrong way to hink on my part,I still have some general faith in society.I do like to think that in 15 or 20 years though that silver will be a lot more valuable than it is today.Everythings a gamble for sure and if this money wasn't given to me and I thought I'd need it for basic survival,I would never even consider gambling on anything.Now I have to check out the spot price,Thanks C.A

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
And a network of like minded people you can trust and work with.
Otherwise you are just surviving, if you are lucky.
Prep to thrive.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Ok.. make silver bullets.. Covers just about everything.

Firearms and ammo itself has value, I have a few pieces from prior to Clintons AWB, and during those years they tripled in price. My favorite are items that the ATF decides to ban.. but hey. I'm grandfathered in.. I think..

Even 22 LR.. totally common but a few years ago it was impossible to even find a few bricks, people were selling 22LR for stupidly high prices.

Green Squall

Ok.. make silver bullets.. Covers just about everything.

Firearms and ammo itself has value, I have a few pieces from prior to Clintons AWB, and during those years they tripled in price. My favorite are items that the ATF decides to ban.. but hey. I'm grandfathered in.. I think..

Even 22 LR.. totally common but a few years ago it was impossible to even find a few bricks, people were selling 22LR for stupidly high prices.

I recently read that the 22 LR drought is over. What the hell was that about anyways?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I recently read that the 22 LR drought is over. What the hell was that about anyways?

I've heard all kinds of crazy theories on it, but what I could see is that people would show up early to buy up all the bricks then resell them marked up in local online classified. The shops were limiting sales on how many bricks you had so there clearly were production problems.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
I remember when everything was cheap and available.
Some day these will be the good old days.
Stack it high and stack it deep.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

I think of Silver as a currency you can use to buy Gold.

When prices are higher, the Gold Silver price ratio decreases.

In April 2011, it spent a week in the 35 to 40 range. (Silver at $40+, Gold at $1600).

I wasn't swift enough to do the trade, e.g. converting a 100 ounce Silver bar into 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 ounces of Gold.

Right now, the price ratio is about 78. It's realistic to buy 78 ounces of Silver now, expecting to trade it for 2 ounces of Gold when that price ratio hits 39. (side-stepping the issue of buy-sell spreads) + it may take 5 years to roll through another price cycle.

In terms of thinking about the future, I think one of the best things you can give a child is a roll of 1/10 ounce American Gold Eagles.

2017-1-10-oz-american-gold-eagle-02.jpg

It's 5 ounces total, 50 coins, each of them bringing about $125 at today's sort of depressed metal prices.

Whatever happens world-wide, in 10 years, that roll of Gold will help that child through college - or buy a piece of land - or whatever.

Green Squall

Damn I wish I sold my silver back in 2011. I sold my whole collection a couple years ago and put the money towards gold. Right now I'm just trying to squirrel away a little gold for my future.

Don't the 1/10 oz Gold Eagles have a very high premium compared to the 1 oz Gold Eagles?

troutman

Seed Whore

Preppers go crazy and buy all the bullets so they can be ready for when
the lizards that David Icke warned us about finally rise up from the caves.

:laughing:

Don't the 1/10 oz Gold Eagles have a very high premium compared to the 1 oz Gold Eagles?

I think you pay more in small amounts. Freaking Debeers racket I tell you. Wait maybe that's diamonds. LOLZ

Floridian

Veteran
No you do pay more without exception from what I've learned for any precious metal,thats why I'm insisting on 10oz silver bullion at 100oz silver bullion prices.Along with other discounts.Its playing along with Rosiland of all places and JM bullion of course