What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

St. Phatty

It was a great deal when it was $13.75 an ounce spot, and $14.52 an ounce delivered, back in 2016.

But nobody wanted to hear about it.

Human investors are a little bit like Geckoes - they only chase something if it is moving.

The various mines all have different cost structures & costs for their silver, from $10 up to $22 an ounce.

So Silver at $19.50 is still selling below the cost of production.

Then the question is, amount used vs. amount mined.

The replacement of Lead solder with other materials, like Silver, certainly helped create industrial demand for Silver.

The tech billionaires have a distinct aversion to precious metals.

Historical investment in precious metals is 1% to 10% but recently, more like .01% to .1%.

Imagine if just 1% of those tech billionaires investment dollars went to Gold & Silver, instead of shares in the ever money losing WeWork and all the other Silicon Valley bubble stocks.

brickweeder

...So Silver at $19.50 is still selling below the cost of production....

gotta disagree with this; cost of production is more like $9-15 aisc for the majority of miners. $19.50 POS is generally OVER the cost of production for operating silver miners

Q3 silver miner results should show substantially higher bottom lines come the reporting cycle, as the run-up happened largely over Q2.

sajesak

It was a great deal when it was $13.75 an ounce spot, and $14.52 an ounce delivered, back in 2016.

But nobody wanted to hear about it.

Human investors are a little bit like Geckoes - they only chase something if it is moving.

The various mines all have different cost structures & costs for their silver, from $10 up to $22 an ounce.

So Silver at $19.50 is still selling below the cost of production.

Then the question is, amount used vs. amount mined.

The replacement of Lead solder with other materials, like Silver, certainly helped create industrial demand for Silver.

The tech billionaires have a distinct aversion to precious metals learn about birch gold.

Historical investment in precious metals is 1% to 10% but recently, more like .01% to .1%.

Imagine if just 1% of those tech billionaires investment dollars went to Gold & Silver, instead of shares in the ever money losing WeWork and all the other Silicon Valley bubble stocks.
So I'm kinda liking the idea of buying some precious metals, like gold and silver, just to have on hand. I'm not a doomsday prepper, and I don't think our currencies are tanking or something and we'll need to rely on barter and precious materials for trade. But, it'd be nice to have some sweet pure silver coins. I could put them real cool like in my Pelican gun cases and the such. Why not? I have a ton of old silver coins, like pre-65 stuff, but I'd like that pure silver too.

Any advice? If you try to Google this kind of stuff you just get all the worst marketing ploys known to man. The US Mint website is way more expensive than everyone else, as far as I could tell. But please tell me if you know anywhere to buy pure silver at the best price! I don't care if it's a coin, bullion, scrap, etc. Just pure 99.9%.

So I'm kinda liking the idea of buying some precious metals, like gold and silver, just to have on hand. I'm not a doomsday prepper, and I don't think our currencies are tanking or something and we'll need to rely on barter and precious materials for trade. But, it'd be nice to have some sweet pure silver coins. I could put them real cool like in my Pelican gun cases and the such. Why not? I have a ton of old silver coins, like pre-65 stuff, but I'd like that pure silver too.

Any advice? If you try to Google this kind of stuff you just get all the worst marketing ploys known to man. The US Mint website is way more expensive than everyone else, as far as I could tell. But please tell me if you know anywhere to buy pure silver at the best price! I don't care if it's a coin, bullion, scrap, etc. Just pure 99.9%.
btc over gold and silver any day.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I have been buying gold and silver for 25 years now. I have bought silver at nine dollars an ounce and gold at 300 per ounce. I’m sure my metal investments will be more than enough to carry me through whatever comes this way but the reason I invest in metals is one I can physically have it in my possession and two it does it doesn’t evaluate like paper currency doesn’t devaluation like paper currency does… all of my silver are either 5 kg bars or 1 ounce rounds, but when buying gold fractional coins and smaller denominations, make more sense when it comes to bartering with them… I know very little about bitcoin, but I can only imagine the nightmare it would be trying to retrieve it if there is a problem with the EMP’s

I have been buying gold and silver for 25 years now. I have bought silver at nine dollars an ounce and gold at 300 per ounce. I’m sure my metal investments will be more than enough to carry me through whatever comes this way but the reason I invest in metals is one I can physically have it in my possession and two it does it doesn’t evaluate like paper currency doesn’t devaluation like paper currency does… all of my silver are either 5 kg bars or 1 ounce rounds, but when buying gold fractional coins and smaller denominations, make more sense when it comes to bartering with them… I know very little about bitcoin, but I can only imagine the nightmare it would be trying to retrieve it if there is a problem with the EMP’s
what's EMP's? lol

Reactions: Boo

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Electromagnetic pulse. Any electric device that is not in a faraday cage will be rendered useless. I don’t know how anybody is going to be able to retrieve any of their assets when they electronic like bitcoin. Pardon my ignorance regarding how that works but I just can’t see how everything comes together if we have no Internet, I have two wells on my property and I’m converting one to a hand pump that way if I have no electricity, I can still get water. I haven’t secondary filtration system to clean my water so at least I won’t be thirsty when that shit hits the fan.

Electromagnetic pulse. Any electric device that is not in a faraday cage will be rendered useless. I don’t know how anybody is going to be able to retrieve any of their assets when they electronic like bitcoin. Pardon my ignorance regarding how that works but I just can’t see how everything comes together if we have no Internet, I have two wells on my property and I’m converting one to a hand pump that way if I have no electricity, I can still get water. I haven’t secondary filtration system to clean my water so at least I won’t be thirsty when that shit hits the fan.
lol fair point, but that is a very pessimistic way to look at things lol. put it this way, if you had bought btc in december 2022 the price was about $16k ish (about 14 months ago) today you would have 4x'd your money. it currently sits today at about 62k, as well with all these big corporation's involved you can now buy btc through the btc etf with company's such as blackrock. btc is the gold of today.

Reactions: Boo

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I wouldn't call my view pessimistic but mebbe more grounded to reality...China has already threatened a EMP event so who knows...agreed, bitcoin will make you money but I am far more comfortable knowing my gold, silver, and ammo cache will be there when I want to hold it...no arguments that bitcoin is the gold of today but at my age, I don't invest online or want an investment that I can't hold...different generations brother, it's all good...

I wouldn't call my view pessimistic but mebbe more grounded to reality...China has already threatened a EMP event so who knows...agreed, bitcoin will make you money but I am far more comfortable knowing my gold, silver, and ammo cache will be there when I want to hold it...no arguments that bitcoin is the gold of today but at my age, I don't invest online or want an investment that I can't hold...different generations brother, it's all good...
you can hold your ledger lol (a device that you can store your bitcoin on, looks a bit like a memory stick) but yeah i understand different generations, my parents are not interested in it either lol.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Boo, I checked the price of 1/4 oz coins and by the lb the are more expensive than 1 oz coins.... about $200 more/lb. I would like the smaller coins for the reason you stated .

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
My earning years are behind me for the most part, but in the last 25 years, I’ve made some very good business decisions. I’m very comfortable with my financial position, and my ability to pay my way through life because of those decisions. 40 years ago, I built a commercial warehouse and office building and that has been a cash cow for me But just yesterday I was offered a stupid amount of money for the building so I might just sell it. I built the building for $120,000 including the price of the land and I am told it’s well into the seven figures with its value at this point .

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Boo, I checked the price of 1/4 oz coins and by the lb the are more expensive than 1 oz coins.... about $200 more/lb. I would like the smaller coins for the reason you stated .
Fractional coins are always about 20% over spot for a good reason. Supply and demand. They are the most desirable coins to have because you can take a $300 coin and barter with it but if you’ve got a $2000 round It’s hard to make change for one of them, in the very near future I’m going to go out and buy 100 pounds of pre-63 American coins because they’re 90% silver and very easy to barter with

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Fractional coins are always about 20% over spot for a good reason. Supply and demand. They are the most desirable coins to have because you can take a $300 coin and barter with it but if you’ve got a $2000 round It’s hard to make change for one of them, in the very near future I’m going to go out and buy 100 pounds of pre-63 American coins because they’re 90% silver and very easy to barter with
Silver is so bulky. I have a few lbs of.....hard to get in a safety deposit box at the bank.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I haven’t secondary filtration system to clean my water

They're easy to make but require a few weeks startup time. UNLESS you use

SILVER

as a sterilant. This has actually been tried on a large scale, in Russia I think, back in the day.

by the lb the are more expensive than 1 oz coins.... about $200 more/lb.

There are only 12 troy ounces in a troy pound. If the math is still bad, you're at the wrong retailer.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
They're easy to make but require a few weeks startup time. UNLESS you use

SILVER

as a sterilant. This has actually been tried on a large scale, in Russia I think, back in the day.

There are only 12 troy ounces in a troy pound. If the math is still bad, you're at the wrong retailer.
Interesting ..... thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts