What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
The .22 is for the little ones. You need at least .308 for the big lizards.:peek:

Preppers go crazy and buy all the bullets so they can be ready for when
the lizards that David Icke warned us about finally rise up from the caves.

:laughing:

I think you pay more in small amounts. Freaking Debeers racket I tell you. Wait maybe that's diamonds. LOLZ

brown_thumb

IMO, in my area, a good .22 pellet rifle, .223Win/5.56NATO, .308Win (or .30-'06), 12ga shotgun and any caliber pistol between 9mmLug and .45ACP would be more enough diversity for any reasonable needs. If I was really worried about it then I'll add a .458SOCOM with heavy subsonic ammo to hunt deer... even though I know deer would soon become hunted to local extinction in a dire social situation.

I have FAR more ammo, food and water stored than silver or other valuables. Had I been able to finish what I wanted here then I'd have a ton of raised garden beds, fruit and nut trees, berry vines, water well with complete filter/disinfection setup, photo-voltaic system, backup generator with huge propane tank (from which I could refill my dual-fuel truck), an electric vehicle for short trips (charged via the PV system), water storage, food storage, everything to survive for several months unless/until desperate folks killed me for what I'd have.

Floridian

Veteran
Emphasis on "fruit and nut trees!"Ahhhaha just kiddin bro you preppers may unfortunately have the last laugh one terrible day..I'm still voting on sanity prevailing at the end of the day.Or the end of the days at the end of the day,,that would really suck

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
It took Provident Metals 5 days to send out my order from the time they received my money order. They just shipped and sent me a tracking number today.
My last order with JM Bullion shipped within two days of receiving my MO and I had it in my hand two days after that.
Not that I'm being impatient but the difference is noticeable.

brown_thumb

This thread finally convinced me to buy junk silver coins. I've always wanted to invest but never did until now due to other needs/wants.

I have a measly US$700 invested in pre-1965 US silver quarters. Next is to buy US$700 in 90 percent silver dimes followed by at least US$700 in US silver dollars. That's in excess of US$2100 in junk silver. That's all I want to invest in things I can't eat, drink, shelter within or shoot.

In today's value, the dimes are worth Approximately US$1 each, the quarters approximately US$3 and the silver dollars approximately US$13 each.

During a REAL SHTF scenario... silver and other precious metals will likely gain huge value for a short WHILE. However, that inflated value won't last long because when folks realize that food, water, ammo, fuel, shelter, etc, are far more valuable in a SHTF situation, they'll eventually trade their beloved silver, gold, platinum, etc. for what they need to SURVIVE. SHTF... trade silver/gold QUICKLY for NECESSITIES. Then trade back when the fools run short/dry on food/water/ammo/etc.

Long-term financial investment is no longer an option for me. Short-term emergency supplies are still somewhat important here though.

The good thing is, I can leave this all to my estranged son and it will all retain its value... real property, emergency food supplies, water storage, precious metals, ammo, etc.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats

The more you study junk silver, the more you'll learn about it. And therefore make better decisions, based on your needs, when you purchase it.

For example, a dime (which is 2/5 the face value of a quarter) contains exactly 2/5 the amount of silver by weight.

That same dime contains 1/5 the amount of silver as a half dollar does..
A quarter contains exactly 1/2 the silver, by weight, as a half dollar coin does.

However, a silver dollar contains more silver by weight than 10 dimes, more than 4 times the silver of a quarter, and more than 2 times the silver of a half dollar.

Silver dollars are also very popular and have a much higher premium on them than the dimes, quarters and half dollar coins do...

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
JM Bullion dot com out of Texas is another great company to buy precious metals from. The items on sale changes every Monday morning and the selection is great too.

-Funk

St. Phatty

Who was the genius who recommended buying Palladium a year ago ? :woohoo:

And Why or How did you know it would go up so much ?

I have asked about it at local coin shops, but they usually are not 'market-makers' for Palladium. They say they have to check with their suppliers, which means a double margin since 2 dealers are involved in funding the purchase, if you're selling. Or if you're buying.

But it sure has gone up a lot ! I think part of that is industrial demand related to Diesel - or not Diesel - cat converters.

igrowone

Veteran
you got me checking, looks like it's gone maybe $200 per oz or so, depends on the points chosen of course
which is good, maybe 20%+

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I was telling everyone to put their life savings in Pd at the time. The Russians sold their Soviet stock in much the same way the Swiss disposed of their gold a few years before, just dumping it. Nothing like that will ever happen again.

St. Phatty

I was telling everyone to put their life savings in Pd at the time. The Russians sold their Soviet stock in much the same way the Swiss disposed of their gold a few years before, just dumping it. Nothing like that will ever happen again.

Buying it is easy. Just mail order from a good etailer like Provident Metals.

Selling it ... selling to APMex etc. is blood pressure raising. Until you learn to trust complete strangers a 1000 miles away with $1000's of your money.

So it works better to sell it to a local market, I think.

Those historic price moves are always wonderful to catch.

I bought Silver at its low in the high $13's, maybe in late 2016, when physical was available for $14.52 an ounce delivered.

But I paid for it using a line of credit at 4%. After a while Debt is corrosive. It's like a vault that leaks 3 or 4 ounces of silver a month (for the debt service).

Only thing to do is pay down the debt.

In this case, selling Gold at a higher price than when Silver was $14.52. So the Gold Silver ratio is better, except for all that debt service.

One of the reasons I bought, or perhaps one of my justifications, I thought there was value in learning first-hand about debt financed investing, without spending a whole lot of money.

One of the things learned is, how long do you have to wait for the price of the investment to go up, to offset debt service costs etc. ?

1 year of debt service vs. 3 years.

+ now the Fed is raising rates.

So I achieved my objective. But now that I understand some of the details of using debt, I just want to pay it down.

Yeah Palladium for $300 a few years ago, how dumb was I for not buying just 1 ounce.

Palladium has gone up 200%+ and Silver ... not so much.

Green Squall

I'm still squirreling silver coins/rounds every month as a long term term investment. What will silver be worth in 20-30 years?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It looks like palladium could still get higher, because the decline since VW of diesel cars and their platinum catalytic converters appears to be permanent. Unless LPG or electric becomes a more viable option. I'll buy Pt below 800 though because the Donald can still find a way to send investors running like 2008. Silver and gold won't be falling, so I'd jump on any dips.

CaptainDankness

Definitely better investments out there than silver especially if the US dollar dies. Sure I've seen some guy claim you'll be able to buy an acre of land for an ounce of silver if the dollar dies, but hell no, I wouldn't rent out an acre for an ounce per week!!

You want to survive the crash of the dollar it's as simple as hunting and fishing, of course leather making, black smithing, farming, along with many other basically forgotten trades will be much more valuable than silver. Lead is a much better investment if the dollar was to die without a replacement currency, not very likely IMO, to me sounds like the only way that will happen is if we have a huge nuclear war.

St. Phatty

You want to survive the crash of the dollar it's as simple as hunting and fishing, of course leather making, black smithing, farming, along with many other basically forgotten trades will be much more valuable than silver. Lead is a much better investment if the dollar was to die without a replacement currency, not very likely IMO, to me sounds like the only way that will happen is if we have a huge nuclear war.

Everything in Proportion, and APPROPRIATE abundance.

Silver & Lead are useless if you don't have any Salt.

But once you have enough Salt to last 5 years, buying more Salt doesn't help much.

Having a well full of water isn't useful if the electricity goes out - unless you got a backup or backups.