What's new

Butte's Bounty - 2011

Y

YosemiteSam

Butte...do you do any training with the 2 foot ring or is it just for support? I have run into trouble every time I more than slightly force the branches out...it seems to really fuck up the overall balance of the plant.

Also could you go into a little more detail about "pruning to an open center? Do you completely prune to that 2 ft ring? Any further out?

Also looking forward to your tea brewing and using thesis.

Thanks for the thread and best of luck on your grow.

Butte

Veteran
Try not to think of it as training or pruning, but "lovely crafted". Knowing what to take off or where to guide a branch to comes with experience. Watch how the new growth turns into branches and see if you can project that habit onto growth before pruning. The 2' ring is going to support branches that will be very large by the end of the season, so an eye towards that type of structure during this stage of pruning is important. When the plants were clone to tween size, we were pruning more with an eye towards our 12-18" single stalk. As the plant grows what one does to the plant most be flexible in response. The plant changes its expression so why shouldn't your technique adapt right along in harmony with it?

Pruning is done about every two weeks and not more than 20% is ever taken off in one session. We had planned on pruning today as the moon is good, but it is raining, so tomorrow will be fine. We do eventually take out all the leaves and most of the smaller branches out of the inside of the rings, but this is done gradually as the plant gets bigger. You can't put a branch back in if it turns out you wanted it for a particular part of the structure! A foliar application of tea, kelp, B1 or the like will help with any shock. We also think of it as the "ice cream after the dentist" reward for the plants.

Went out in the rain gear and started our tea for tomorrow. Since it will be a foliar application as well as a soil drench, we went with a variety of ingredients:

A blend of homemade composts
High quality worm castings from a friend’s beds
Soluble kelp powder
Bacillus thuringiensis
Bacillus subtilis
Wettable fish powder
Liquid humate

Now the ladies are dancing in the rain to the sound of the rumbling brewer. It’s almost as if they know what’s in store for them. :woohoo:

G

Ganja D

Butte. I was wondering if you could explain the ratios you use when brewing teas. I just brewed a ewc,guano,and fish powder tea and just made up my own ratios based on my own estimates.
I'm sure your busy but it would be awesome if you got some info. Thanks either way.

Happy gardening and I hope your enjoying the timing of the rain as much as me.

Y

YosemiteSam

Thanks man. That explanation makes perfect sense actually. Took me forever to learn that if you are chopping off 6-8 inches then cut it at the node where the resulting branch will grow out...not in

I ain't always the quickest learner...but I am persistent.

Thanks again for your help.

devilgoob

Veteran
WHOA.

Super well thought out, very professional, top-of-the line grow.

Nice health vigor and aeration. well pruning technique to shoot up...side shoots!

I've learned like three things here..and I might try your training I assume it is low stress and is not for one main central cola plants?

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
excellent job butte....you are the original gangster of outdoor growing....

how do you get your photos from so high up in the air??

jescowhite

Butte's Bounty - 2011

how do you get your photos from so high up in the air??

you've seen the beginning of 'half baked' in the grocery store ... That's how it's done out here ;)

I'm taking notes big time, this is my first season outside in mendo, I will have to start a thread at some point. Plants are loving the heat :). I have my plants in wire cages, next phase is setting wire screens over t-posts for a scrogy type effect. I'm pretty much using everything the previous owner left behind.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think there are some possible things he may be doing to catch these shots....

A) jet pack
b) climb trees
c) butte is VERY tall
d) he owns a blimp
e) he owns a plane
f) he has a bird with a camera attatched to it
g) he lives in a castle and is taking these shots from his top balcony

either way, very cool stuff...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

somoz

Veteran
In his older threads he mentions that he climbs the trees to grab the shots. Much love and respect for starting a thread this year Butte, your info and analysis is always appreciated and I hope doubling up the garden leads to greener roads. Look forward to seeing the progression of the grow on all aspects. Thanks!

T

Trinity Gold

So July 14 is rolling around. You were looking awesome on June 14...Curious to see how the trenches are working out for you. Are you top dressing your beds with any thing?

maxmurder

Veteran

A) jet pack
b) climb trees
c) butte is VERY tall
d) he owns a blimp
e) he owns a plane

naww wayne- military drones, he also foliar feeds with them:bigeye:

Yeoman

Butte. I was wondering if you could explain the ratios you use when brewing teas. I just brewed a ewc,guano,and fish powder tea and just made up my own ratios based on my own estimates.
I'm sure your busy but it would be awesome if you got some info. Thanks either way.

:yeahthats

Regards,

The Boys

A) jet pack
b) climb trees
c) butte is VERY tall
d) he owns a blimp
e) he owns a plane

either way, very cool stuff...

Its obviosly a combination of the above, He CLAIMS to climb trees but I think we all know thats a sharade !

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran

A) jet pack
b) climb trees
c) butte is VERY tall
d) he owns a blimp
e) he owns a plane

Or hes superman

great garden and pics