What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butte's Bounty - 2011

Y

YosemiteSam

So...devil's advocate here. If you trim dry did you get rid of that sap you are worried about...or just leave it in the buds? Maybe you avoid what was in the leafs, but I am guessing there is more in the bud.

If the sap itself is the problem then getting it out...and away from the buds would seem like what you are after.

For the record...machine trimmer here. Not saying I am right...just arguing for the sake of it. Machine trimmer cause I am too damn lazy to hand trim that much.

Butte

Veteran
Hello everybody

Stickky – We’ll be mulching the garden with straw after we install the irrigation. We had a landscape architect draw up some irrigation plans and do the water calc’s so we’d know how much water was needed/ used on each bed. Inline emitter tubing spaced 12” apart and staggered 6” with individual control for each bed from a Hunter ICC control box (up to 36 stations) will allow us to keep everything uniformly watered. Here’s part of the layout he provided. There are also detailed schematics of how the manifolds, valves and piping are to be installed.

picture.php

Nomaad – I use a local lab and have for years. As such, I have several reports to compare as do you. I think the important thing is to stay with whatever test you do so you’re looking at apples-to-apples.

Interesting theory on the sap thing. Having noticed in the past the overall brown cast you get from the wet cut ends of the leaf, one could assume this would have a flavor component as well. Heh, heh, “robots”...

Regarding trimming, I’ll post up more as the trim season approaches, but a quickie description won’t hurt. We’ve used a Centurion in the past, but last year chose to hand trim all but the smaller, second cut flowers. Branches were big leafed and hung for a 5-7 day cure at 70°/50% humidity. They’re then binned and turned once a day. After another 5-10 days, the flowers are hand trimmed and broken down. Here’s a shot of the dry room fairly full.

picture.php

Things to notice are the many fans, the exhaust which brought fresh air into the room every hour, the lighting on the back wall to prevent shadows and improve inspection of the hanging flowers, the mini-split to control temp and humidity, a good inspection station and good overall flow through the room. We adapted the wall mounted screen drying system to facilitate hang drying and it worked out wonderfully. We also use a USB502 temp/ humidity data logger technology to ensure everything stays where we want it. (http://www.mccdaq.com/usb-data-acquisition/USB-502.aspx)

As harvest nears we’ll touch on this topic again so perhaps we could leave it at that? Thanks.

We also still have these really nice ‘extras’ in case something happens.

picture.php

Hopefully the sun is shining on everyone as brightly as it is on the ladies. Happy gardening - Butte

Btw – congrats to everyone that’s getting put in!

elkslayer

As with most in nmy neck of the woods, we hand trim everything. Many friends have showed me several strains, via various machine's and thus just postin an observation.

This year the early stuff will go through a machine, while cheese, SourD, kushcleaner and some various "late models" will all be de-fanned and hung with wood fire for 5-7 days. Same deal as butte into tubs( I like the clear 17"w x 35"l x 6"d stackable tubs). They stack well and easy flipping.

Butte- sorry for the slight deviation, and big props to your thread, and well you know....:)

ES

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hot day up in butte today....filling 200 gals in 90+ degrees heat is no joke.. at least im getting a nice tan/workout!

your plants are lookin super healthy...definately gonna try to use those airpots next year...transplanting from smarties has proven to be a messy ordeal..

Butte

Veteran
Hello everyone

Decided to get up in the tree today since we'll be pruning tomorrow (Moon in Virgo). Everything is really jumping now that the sun is out and the temps are up.

picture.php

Happy gardening everyone!

- Butte

S

SicKSKills

Nice, it looks like it will be much easier to maintenance the girls now they are down on your level. I still remember the pics of you on the ladder with the blue dream a few years back, was epic and paved the way for many other growers to come out of the shadows and document large grows that are so common here on ic today.

T

Trinity Gold

Kush Cleaner is looking bomb...! I really liked the Cheese x JC from the samples that I got to see..Did you get a chance to try that one ?

I was wondering how many days after plugging in you cut them back? Are you going to cut them back as hard as you described in the Growing Large Plants thread last year? I have one I cut back like that and it is a perfect globe! I had to cut it because I exposed the individual to a 25 degree night immediately after plugging but looking at it now you wouldn't even guess that...

G

guest8905

looking great. nice spacing, nice and clean garden.

Do yoiu use anything to walk across the beds without smashing the soil? so you can acess the stem area if needed? im guessing some 2 x 6s ?

have fun pruning

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Butte you have been one of the very few in the game that i idolize... thank you for showing what needs to be done to achieve the level that you and so few have achieved :)

mapinguari

Veteran
Butte, would you mind discussing your decision to plant in the ground this year? Was that part of a soil-building strategy, or did you sour on the smartpots?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
looking good Butte, i wish you luck this season you ahve inspired many.

Last edited:

BIGGS

Veteran
this is going to be sick, big up Butte mate. looking forward to seeing some real trees.

How do you master obtain your genetics? I have been to countless clubs and all they have are small over-priced ladies. Garden looking good butte.