What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

this purple haze oil is absolutely gorgeous!

i ran some northern light that was a beautiful red.

i find it very interesting that my most lovely oils in appearance as well as flavor, come from well cured flowers.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
tastiest oil comes from fresh uncured product in my experience. fresh, but dried well, seems more consistent than fresh not dried. of the few strains i have tested, some age not too badly, but others, even after just one month or two, the oil is much darker, and not as tasty (bubba kush, for example).

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tastiest oil comes from fresh uncured product in my experience. fresh, but dried well, seems more consistent than fresh not dried. of the few strains i have tested, some age not too badly, but others, even after just one month or two, the oil is much darker, and not as tasty (bubba kush, for example).

I have seen that as well. The older the product the darker it will be. I have not found any that I wont smoke but i'm biased since its always made by me :)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have seen that as well. The older the product the darker it will be. I have not found any that I wont smoke but i'm biased since its always made by me :)

Good point! I am partially red green color blind and was seeing some purple glint that may not have been there.

Decarboxyated oil is darker than the acid form. Decarboxylated oil from fresh frozen plants is lighter, even when decarboxylated.

PS: The picture is a fresh frozen BHOA extraction that has been decarboxylated.

Attachments

• Extraction absolute.jpg
    Extraction absolute.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

QTS

Dry till the stem snaps dry? I ask because I'll soon harvest my (first ever!) plant, a raspberry kush, and plan on turning most all of her nugs into oil and would like to retain as much flavor without juicing her while she's still got a lot of water weight.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
would you mind explaining what an absolute is and how you achieved it?

Absolute Amber in 15 minutes is a good thread to check out for details, but an absolute is BHO that has had the waxes removed by winterization.

It is achieved by redissolving the BHO (oleoresin or concrete) in Ethanol and freezing it long enough for the waxes to coagulate and clump together, so that they can be filtered out.

Going to try a BHO extraction with some 1 month cured Sour Skunk buds. Hoping for 3-4 grams, as she is a frosty bitch. I will be back with pictures once she is ready...fingers crossed! Tried BHO my first time at a festival this year, and so I bought all the gear to make it myself from some hermied girls...making lemonaide ;)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Dry till the stem snaps dry? I ask because I'll soon harvest my (first ever!) plant, a raspberry kush, and plan on turning most all of her nugs into oil and would like to retain as much flavor without juicing her while she's still got a lot of water weight.

ya dry till they snap, but then dont wait any longer, make oil right away from it.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i tell my friends all the time at harvest season, dont save it for months if you are going to oil it, get as much done ASAP for best flavor retainment :)

totally spaced the fresh frozen extractions. you are correct in the lovely fresh flavenoids which are even more poignant if the processes are totally heat free (under vacuum or air evaporated).

it is just that fresh processing is easiest in small batches and since i process everything into oil, those cold processes happen far less frequently.

so, i must admit to error. fresh material results in the most delicate subtle and individual flavors of all oils.

Last edited:

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
Thanks, i use a TiPV vape for it. I'll have to find the pics. I also Highly recommend using Hashmasta kut's device, it's sweet.
Final tally was 3.7g oil from 21g of bud which is almost 20% :yoinks: But that was some seriously frosty bud, the stems were also covered in triches.

Here's a pic of my custom engraved box i bought to hold my meds lol. Looks like i have alot of filling to do lol.

Awesome box man. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts