What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Yeah that's what i've come to think because a couple people on OG did the same test with the same result:such and such % of THC but i keep saying "WE WANT TO KNOW THE OTHER STUFF" LOL for gods sake we know it's potent, that's not the question. I will tell him when he has a test run to also test for n butane. Anyone know if there is any specific chems in n-butane to also look for?

Keefhead

I just went to Wikipedia and other places to see if I could find information of what contaminations might be in the cans of butane. Haven't found anything detailed yet, but there's a lot of stuff to sift through.

I did find something interesting; "Despite its flammability, very pure forms of butane are also occasionally used as a refrigerant in automobiles that are set up to use R-12, because R-12 is an ozone depleting halomethane."

Anybody know anything about this? The "very pure forms of butane" sure caught my attention.

tainted

yes butane instrument grade has refridgerant/exchanger qualities...its 99.5 plus purity...its hard to get anything more refined than that..local to me atleast..its a problem with refining,...never make it 100% pure..

chief..the main impurities for tane are...

other solvents (pentane)
other tanes (isobutane/butane fractions)
other atmos gases (nitrogen/oxygen/carbon mono&dioxides)
plus other impurities (sulfur/water/ethylene)

in a reagent grade...the above is only a half of a percent..with iso being the most common...

less refined junk is mostly isobutane and has lots of sulfur which breaks lighters and is our biggest impurity considering its low boiling point...Vector etc etc is far from pure reagent..and the sulfur..it concentrates...however..sulfur is omri safe for plant use...including tobacco..sulfur vapour seems to condense on the trikes...making it a problem however as a fungicide...

using clean butane is clean...a low pres vac will remove most the tane..leaving the solid sulfur...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
the claim made by the chairman of the company that markets colibri as told to me in email is that their large can product, at less than 15 ppm of impurities had contaminants he said the technical dude he referred to about the question called oleaginous wax molecules... and that they could remove most of that too, but only at the cost of adding micro charcoal particulate contimanants from charcoal filtering setup that would be harder on lighters than the wax molecules are.

tainted

15 ppm total inpurity into n-butane is lab grade plus...99.99% pure...sounds wrong...

know colibri is UK comp...but forget teh cans....korean gas??? i do know colibri makes some good bho next to dunhill...

think he was refering to solid impurities...waxes...pariffins near past food grade probably...either way..probably intake more with a candle burning at church than a zip of bho...:noteuseofchurch: :sasmokin:

jimbob..you mentioned trainwreck oils..i made some recently and it doesnt harden at room temps..wierd..most all strains harden..this stuffs runny as feck..and no lemon/diesel flavours retained...

used vector quintup..

i suck...but..

happy friday...zzZZzz..bed tyme for me.. :pointlaug

foaf

Veteran
as far as the purity of "good" butane ...

when I was building and experimenting with my honey pot closed butane thing, the first test run I evapped a gallon (one full case) of Vector butane in the paint pot and it left a surprisingly thick milky film. After several runs through a molecular seive and carbon filter and being re-evapped and condensed, it didnt leave a film any more, even one gallon. Ive been using that same gallon, and havent had to add any to the system for about 15 runs. I suspect it is pretty pure now since it basically get re-distilled every time.

the point is, even clean butane has some stuff in it if you look hard enough, but you can get it clean.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey foaf

great to see you. i loved that closed butane extraction setup you put together.

so basically you butane is pure now. that's so cool. instead of wasting it and letting it go into the atmosphere you collect it and reuse it. i really wish i understood the instructions well enough to give it a go. maybe you want to sell a finished one? lol...

so what does the bho you make in that thing look like? is it red or is it yellow? or does it change according to what you put in? does it get rock hard when you have purged it?

peace out

foaf

Veteran
hi -

it is golden and it is hard. this picture shows about 9 grams in a vial. It is after a vacuum purge for 24 hours and this picture was after heating it a bit to get it to settle into the bottom of the vial. Once it cools to room temp, its like taffy. If you go really slow, you can move it around with a needle or nail. If you move the tool fast, it fractures and a piece of hash oil breaks off solid.

Keefhead

foaf :wave:

I want to thank you for your thread on vacuum purging. It spured me on to experiment.

A friend of mine and I made up a crude vacuum purge setup to try the idea out. As ghetto rigged as it was, we got a nice little piece of hard oil, but darker than the one foaf pictured. And ... not near as much. :laughing:

But though it seemed to shatter when I pushed on it with a strong poker, you could hold a piece of it between your fingers and it would get soft. I never thought anything like that would come from my (our) efforts. :woohoo:

We've tried one run since then, changed some things, and messed it up. I need to learn the way the "pro"s do it, and learn from them. I just don't have time to smoke all my mistakes. :yoinks:

foaf, if you have any recommended pointers to other threads that you feel might help me, I'd appreciate them. Yours is already bookmarked. Thanks.:respect:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Recently got my O'Kief Hoiney Oil Tube.....I just finished my 1st run recently (no pics)....I did it outside...and it couldn't have been easier....lol was cool watching it bubble after putting it in the water for purging....when the tane was on the pyrex...it was a light yellow....then I used a lighter to pop the bubbles....and only had an old razor blade (lol...I am lame).....it got dark after that...but it was gooey as hell and started hardening...I used some premature trim and got a lil less than a gram from a tube full.....(love that O'Kief tube....the tane fits perfectly into that rubber fitting at the top of the O'Kief tube)

My next run will be a tube full of dried buds broken up (soon).....with pics :D I wonder if the lighter trick for popping the bubbles messes up the color at all? Or was it the lowgrade trim? Or the dirty razor (dirty with QWISO residue)? Oh...it was like a dark brown color....

Anyways....this first batch of BHO tastes great and is extremely potent lol....it's very expansive....just a tiny hit and yet I see a major smoke cloud when I exhale....I like that lol

thx to this thread I can now start learning to make killer BHO :smile:

peace

EDIT: Here's some pics of "leftovers" lol....I am gonna get some clean blades ASAP!

Last edited:
G

I like to use the razor blade to pop the bubbles, cause no matter how small the change, adding heat from a flame WILL darken the oil to some degree.
I have seen pros do it, I have even used the flame, but my whitest oil is from no flame.
For you, it was most likely the trim being the reason for darker color, but try both ways, see if there's a difference.

I like to scrape the oil together as it's purging (it will bubble/foam), then I spread it back out and stir it constantly as it's purging.
It pastes up right there on the plate if it's high enough quality (I use buds, not trim).

One thing I do to ensure quality is use an ISO technique on my BHO, seperating rinses in order of quality.
With BHO, I use a 1/2 Oz tube, which takes just over a 1/2 can of Colibri to run. I switch plates (onto a 2nd plate) when the foaminess starts to abate on the run, at about 1/3 can usually, and run a few more seconds on the second plate, just past a 1/2 can.
This second plate contains about 1/3 of the run, but less than 1/10 the oil, and it is lesser quality, which I have now seperated from the prime.
If you're really picky, one could do this in 3 segments, or more with bigger runs.

peace - Tug

Last edited:

Keefhead

-VT- Congratulations on getting your BHO tube. You are beginning a trip that you will enjoy.

My experience is that using a lighter to pop the bubbles gives me a slightly darker oil. I like to take the dish, after the butane seems to have boiled out, pop the bubbles with a pin, and set it on a heating pad for a day. Maybe less will do, but 1 day works for me.

Another thing I do is to put a small wad of cotton into the bottom of the tube, mount the screen, and then load the material from the top. The cottom seems to filter the oil, like a brown coffee filter. The jury is still out on the need for the cotton, so I'd be interested in others comments.

I had an unpleasant experience using damp material. As the tube filled up with butane, being moist, it clogged up the tube, and the rubber stopper blew out, spraying stuff everywhere. I guess I needed to learn this the hard way. lol Please watch out for this - I didn't enjoy it.....

Just a few comments from my perspective. Enjoy your new tube. PICS!!!

tainted

yea...always feared the extractor clogging...remember to air off your clothes before smoking..gases can saturate clothes...

and congrats VT...
yea i do what tug does...bubs pop when you centre the goo..just water bath it to get the tane microbubs "to rise"

with a warm water bath..can potentially evap a cap out in minutes..boils away HARD...

G

I just got my Okief honey BHO tube. (Ordered it last tuesday - 4 business days US) I've never used one and ordered one because of this thread. I'm so excited hehehe, can't wait to throw in the popcorn buds I have at home and see what happens. I've read through this monster thread(awesome btw) and ordered it the other day after seeing the positive feedback here. Shit, it looked crazy and complicated, but with the tube ready to roll, I decided to try. Maybe I'll take some pics...wish me luck and thanks for the info and feedback on this toy, I'm as happy as a fat kid with a whole cake to himself.....peace

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Keefhead said:
-VT-

I had an unpleasant experience using damp material. As the tube filled up with butane, being moist, it clogged up the tube, and the rubber stopper blew out, spraying stuff everywhere. I guess I needed to learn this the hard way. lol Please watch out for this - I didn't enjoy it.....

unpleasant? that sounds pretty mild, dont you guys remember back in the OG days... i had a tube full of kif suddenly shoot thru the coffee filter( due to uneven packing of the tube), splashing the half a can of butane and resin into my eyes? thats unpleasant, and then some... :D was burning for a bit. was actually froze shut at first. i ran to the sink and used warm water on them, then suffered for well over 12 hours, resin and shit leaking out in crystalline form. was stuck on my eyeball sorta i guess :) got red eyelids, kinda burnt looking(cold burn i think)for a couple weeks too.

Keefhead

The british art of understatement......

Seems like I need to upgrade "unpleasant" to at least "damn near dangerous". Really glad you're OK now.

Did anybody mention safety, or at least regular, glasses. Sounds like a good idea from now on, and it sounds like something that might be added to the "do this outdoors" warning.

Based on what you said, it's just a thought.......

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
ya, ... well for awhile, especially doing kif extractions i had a metal screen over the 2 coffee filters. but i soon realized it was the uneven packing, and from then on, i made sure if its packed tightly, its packed very tightly the whole length of the tube, all the way to the exit end, very important. then you can use double coffee filter with almost 0 chance of rippage(has never happened since).

Latest posts

Latest posts