What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

jimbob420

if it is hard like that then it is still kind of an oil form just more like very low viscosity oil. which makes it seem hard. it still is not the "dry" I speak of...when dry it will resemble very vine quality bubble

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i like the flavors more in oil form than budder form. budder has less flavor i think.

jimbob, of course budder smells more. but oil has more or as much flavor. when you make it buddery, it allows the terpenes to evaporate much more readily out of the mix. not a good thing imo.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Hard to describe the smell of oil but to me regardless of strain the smell is relativly the same and mostly a sweet smell. My house reeks all day after it's been sitting on the heating pad for awhile. If you get it on your hands it's pretty much a done deal and you will be smelling it most of the day unless you get it off with iso.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
odd chief. all oils i make smell different. like the bud its made from. for instance godbud and sweet skunk oil are two totally different worlds. and red congo oil is so tasty, its insane. just like the bud. of course, i never break my buds up much, and only use bud. bud gives great flavored oil it seems, almost without fail. if the bud taste is pronounced, the oil flavor will be distinctly the same.

G

I agree that the oil smells like the strain usually, especially when using buds, I also agree about the terpene content making BHO and budder smell/taste different.
I'm finding what's even better is a hit of BHO or budder dipped in dry sift, then smoked.
WOWSA, the dry sift adds immediate impact and flavor, as well as a longer lasting high.

peace - Tug

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i have noticed recently, that some strains the terpenes evaporate out much easier than others. the love potion super lemony terpene is one of the most easily cooked off terpenes i have encountered. maybe has a lower evaporation point than many other terps...

Keefhead

Well, I made another batch yesterday. I hope my pictures will spur others on to do the same thing. (Note: The okief tube made a LOT of difference in the ease of doing this.)

The material that I'm using is some Ledo Uno that a friend grew. But he didn't use any additives, and used weak nutes - and the material shows it. Not much in the way of trichs.

Well, here's the bowl after a run of 4 tubes and cans of butane.

I got too curious about how much I had and began to scrape it into a pile.

I then scrapped it all into a pile just to see what I had. I couldn't control myself. :pointlaug

I then spread it over the dish again, set it on a heating pad for the night, and this morning put it into this little jar.

It's not as strong as others I have had, but it ain't bad. I suspect that letting it sit out for a while will improve the taste. Experts?

Did I do the purge right, or should I have left it longer?

BHO - it's better for breakfast than wheaties.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
looking good Keefhead, that's the way to do it, lol. at least you got enough for a while now? it's quite fun to see the different colors that the bho comes out at. to me it looks well purged, no more bubbles visible in the pic anyway. tell me what kind of temp was the heating pad on for over night? let me get my pic of the finished bho.....

Keefhead

The pad was set on medium, don't know what the actual temp was. Hmmm, shoulda got my infrared thermometer that I use in the grow room. Next time. Interesting question though. :chin:

Gaiusmarius - LOL. Well, I'm going to a birthday party on Sunday, and I'm sure we'll do it in. :yoinks: And if we don't, I'm sure that I'll find a home for it. I got a lighter.

I've got a few other strains out in the refer, and I can't wait to see how they come out. Gotta go get a case or two of butane first. Heh heh.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
was it a cooking pad or a warming pad?

dude you are gonna be the star of that birthday party, that's for sure lol.

you are sure to make a lot of people happy.

here's my first ever home made bho, made from 11g of really quite resinous PowerPlant buds...i like the color, but it got darker when i put it in hot water to purge it of the bubbles.

4186bho1a.jpg

Keefhead

Great picture. Looks like some fine BHO. A little darker - what was it?

It's a warming pad, the kind you put on a sore back in bed. I guessed at the setting, maybe it should have been more or less.

There will be others there at the party who are active here. One of them for sure makes awesome BHO and bubble. I've seen the pictures here. :yummy: I'll just take my little offering, and let them judge the taste/quality for themselves.

Heh, the BHO is working. No pain, just a bad sense of humor. To wit:

Q. What do you call a boomerang that won't come back? A. A stick.
Sorry Aussies, I had to. :wave:

Now that I have that off my chest, I can get back to tokin...

Last edited:

tainted

gai's shit is prob from HOT cook...you see where its still light...not strain...PP hash is blonde...

yea that warmer is a great idea....seen it used for chocolate but never figured for hash...i often use warm water bath (<35c/100f)...works fine...just sit longer...that stuff in the jar looks like a long cook delta 9...

nice color...easier to make red then the creme...why i like thick insul 600w ballasts for warmers.. :sasmokin:

and i see you all favour the square Prex

and dont get me started on jokes...only know dirty ones...

jimbob420

hmk: I think we agree that oily tastes and smells more than pasty when used but pasty evaps more things and smells more than oily, I was just trying to let whoever was complaining about his stuff not smelling that if it was still oily then it would be pretty normal....I also think the taste is greatly impacted by intake method. I still need to get a TIpad and so I am sure I am missing out on a lot of flavor. And I love the lemon funk taste almost as much as that trainwreck

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Nice pics everyone! Anyway i finally heard back from my friend about the GCMS and it was disappointing. He did not have a straight answer on any chems left behind. As i told him we know oil is potent but what we aren't sure of is what chems if any are left behind. He gets the tests for free (one of those buddy deals) so he will get another done on the premise of looking for residual chems left.

I'm sure all heating pads aren't created equal but i tested mine on the low setting with an infrared themo and mine is 105*. Haven't checked the med setting. Quck scrape tip for those like me that have bad hands and wrists: I clamp a pair of vice grips to my razor and then scrape...........gives a little more leverage and seems a bit easier.

I got a hard decision to make on a future strain to purchase. I need a pure indica to knock me out for the night (LUI) but i've heard so many good things on Highend and hash making, maybe i'll flip a coin lol.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the stuff looked like in that pic a few minutes after the last of the liquid butane was evaporated. i used a hot water bath to get rid of the butane. don't know what temp it was, but it was very hot water. it has goten darker then in that pic, because i put it in a small jar and gave the jar another hot water bath, that made it get a bit darker then in that pic as well as getting more butane bubbles out of it.

i used the honey bee extractor in the hope that they chose a good material to make it with lol, ie no poisonous reaction to the butane. i have read people say that a metal ectraction tube makes different colored bho then a plastic or glass tube? is there any truth in that?

the other thing that i read was that if i want my colour to change i just keep stiring it till it becomes budery looking? no?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hashmasta-Kut, so you say it's looking finished above? no more purge needed? because the bubbles did not flame?

tainted, that is not PP hash. PP hash as you say is rather light colored. that is bho which i have often seen that clour.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thing that kills me about the Honey bee is the directions that tell you how to use it RECOMMEND RONSON BUTANE! Atleast that is waht i have heard from several people that bought one, now that should tell you something.

Quick question that hopefully someone can answer. When a person has a GC or GCMS done on something, does the Tech have to know what they are looking for to determine what is in a sample, or do you just put a sample in and it spits out a total breakdown of the sample? Seems everyone i have heard of that has had oil tested says " It has ?% THC" but never says what else is in it, kinda like they don't understand the scope of the test to begin with. IMO the scope of these tests are to determine if any residual chems are left.

Keefhead

Chief, I have heard that the tests only tell you the percentages of what you are looking for, kinda like a filter. It looks for what you specify, and ignores the rest. At least, that's what I understand. I hope I'm wrong for your sake (and all of us).