What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

C

Chamba

.....while snapping a razor blade (or two?) and having it stick in your eye must be a concern, I'd be more concerned about long term effects of inhaling hash made from petroleum extracts.....

I forgot about the potential pipe-bomb effects..can you imagine some FOX news watching cop at Beavis's house stumbling across a tube full of pot and butane

he's immediately on the radio to his base..shouting out excitedly

"Call the bomb squad, call the anti-terrorist squad, call the Marines!, reserve an extra suite at Gitmo...more importantly call FOX news!..I have just apprehended an Al Queda operative caught in the process of making a marijuana bomb!"

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OMFG THIS ThREAD IS SO COOOOOOOOOL :bow: :bow: :bow:.......
read for 2 or 3 hours but it woz worth it :woohoo:
but to be honest need to learn to grow decently first.....but im catching up :joint:
my first grow in 16 years of smoking pot ...you can imagin i'd like to make hashisch outta that....

G

OK, so everyone in this thread by now knows all the possible dangers of BHO.
Can we now keep it as it was intended out of respect for the person who started the thread - an informative "HOW TO" and not a "DONT DO" thread.

Then coo'.

I couldn't resist and made my second run yesterday. This time I corrected a few of the mistakes I made the first time. I added twice as much herb and stuffed it to the top. I packed it in medium I would say, not too compressed. This time the butane took longer to go down the tube and I could see the condensation on top. It also was darker and I could see more honey oil than last time. As soon as the liquid turned transparent I stopped and emptied a little of the spent herb out and added maybe another 3 grams of fresh herb and finished off the can.
I also left it longer on the hot water and one hour on the hot pad. This time the oil was darker and harder once dried and would even snap when cold. Very nice and more transparent. It seemed like leaving it in the water for like 10 minutes was better than the last time when I took it off the water as soon as there was no sign of gas.
This time it was half haze popcorn and half Diesel. It is a very nice and smooth smoke, surprisingly doesn't really upset my throat like other hashes sometimes do. The high is very pleasant, at times couchlocky in a paralyzing way, but not heavy at all.
I also yielded 3 times as much as the first time, maybe close to 2 or 3 grams, I didn't weigh it. I also used alcohol to clean the tube, is that ok since it is aluminum...what is best?

Last edited:

Keefhead

Flamengo - unless you used a different tube, my okief tube looks like stainless to me. It should clean up just fine with a little alcohol and a rag. Mine did.

Sounds like you got some good oil on the second run - and just where are the pictures.... :bat:

jimbob420

I scrape right after I take the dish out of a sink full of the hottest tap water I can get and I dont care about there still being some bubbles. I do the extraction outside and then bring a dish of the same hot water out and put the extraction dish into the hot water dish so after the liquid butane is all gone and bubbles just left then I bring in and scrape bubbles and all and it is so much easier since it is so warm...then I just keep putting it into hot water baths and stiring...I used to hate having to deal with scraping that hard sticky ass oil even though it sure looks cool as hell

G

Sounds like you got some good oil on the second run - and just where are the pictures....
Keefhead- Thanks! Yes this second run was fun. I didn't take pictures because it was a spur of the moment thing and i didn't have my digi. Next run I'll make up for it! I thought I read aluminum on their website, I thought it was steel too...

Jimbob- So, you scape it, then purge it some more in a smaller container while stirring? What do you use?

Last edited:

Keefhead

Wow! Everything from the PVC drain pipe extractor to doing it indoors. Scary.

But I'll stick to my okief tube and my outdoor garden and my hand-broken buds and hot waterr and my heating pad - until somebody shows me a better way.

shankDank

I think that video is very irresponsible..... no disclaimer of how dangerous it can be, plus doing it inside like he was doing. Hope some kid doesnt stumble upon this and blow his face off..... But hey, not everyone can be as smart as the ICMAGER's.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
What a dumbass. Well all i can say is it only takes once and he won't be doing anymore extractions. Can you imagine the concentration of gas in that bathroom? Stunts like that folks is what makes the nightly news.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Keefhead isn't the honey bee extractor made from certified food grade hardened plastic? if those fuckers used the wrong plastic to make it, i for one would really like to know. i had hopped that they make use of the most resistant and safe plastic, to make these things? if that's not the case we should make a warning thread about the honey bee extractor. as you know i bought the small one off them and was told by the guy in the head shop that it was better/safer material for bho extractions, then most types of metal tubes. probably sales talk anyway, but the point is that he said the honey bee extractor was made from a safe material for doing butane extractions, so if that's wrong, i'd like to know. before i do another run in it.

Keefhead

Gaius - I'm not sure about the Honey Bee. It bothers me that it is plastic, but I've read that it is made from a plastic that is safe for butane extractions. There was a small thread on OG that addressed this, but I didn't follow it to the end. However, the consensus at the time was that it was safe.

For not much more than the honeybee you can get an okief tube, all stainless, easy to use, etc. I'm a just a very happy customer. Gaius, if that is an option for you, I highly recommend it.

G

I like the design of the okief tubes, the only drawback imho is the size...I use a 1.5 foot long by 3/4 inch copper tube...once they get a bigger tube, I'm on it like white on rice

tainted

penis envy

penis envy

i find the larger the extractor the less efficient the yield...if you do the math...

potential problem with metal extractors is that they could spark when dropped etc..also the tripod sits in the extract dish..hmmm...why i hang mine off a lamp post...seen some with a box frame from a drawer..just drill a hole and the endcap with catch after you put it on..sits around the pyrex dish

laminated glass with ceramic end caps and s'noids would be the tops..guess im glad i didnt throw out that broken icemaster bong...

anyhoo..cheers to making bho a top a NG water heater..whilst smoking a dunhill...buk neked

Keefhead

Hillbillieonpcp

Oh, my friend, do I have a flash for ya (I hope my math is right). A 3/4" by 15" copper tube has a volume of 17.67 cubic inches. A 1" by 12" okief tube has a volume of 18.84 cubic inches. I used the formula pi X R sqd X length - sorry, no math symbols. This ignores stuff like wall thickness, etc., but it looks like the white rice truck is almost at your door. lol

Then there's those tempting 2 & 3 tube models....

Last edited:

Keefhead

tainted said:
...seen some with a box frame from a drawer..just drill a hole and the endcap with catch after you put it on..sits around the pyrex dish
You mean like this?

The legs on the okief look to be aluminum, and sitting in the dish is not a problem. You really got to work at it to get an aluminum leg to spark in a pyrex dish. It's impossible. I'd worry a whole lot more about purging on top of a water heater. You were kidding - right? Now, go get dressed. It ain't a pretty picture. lol

And as to the yield, by the time I've run a 320 ml can of Vector butane through it, the last of it is clear, all the goodies are gone. And when I purge the tube, and look at the pieces throughout the tube with a good microscope, all the trich heads are gone. Magic.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
All i gotta say is for someone to claim a plastic extractor is safer than a stainless one is just nuts not to mention the Honey Bee tutorial recommends Ronson butane. That should tell you something. The longest i go on tubes is 15". After that you run into ineffeciency imo. Wall thickness is either .040 or .065 depending on supply. There is a serious steel shortage JYI.

Yeah it's funny the material still looks frosty after extraction, but under magnification it's nothing but stalks. JYI Aluminum doesn't spark but i think he was referring to the stainless. Personally i've never been in a situation to worry about the stainless sparking.

Last edited:

tainted

yea i use 1.5" x about 16"...i need two cans of the tall vector variety..i leave em over night and reextract next day--just did it in fact for seconds (gram it looks like)..could be the large increase in pot (figure 70grams??)...but still thinkj...doing the rough math taht the thinner/shorter the mo bettererer on yield...

as to sparks..dunno what metal it is...and was in the event of an accidental tip/drop...just metals tend to spark...being very anal here...was just considering the ULTIMATE in small cap Xtrac..at ANY cost...

aluminum i thought is generally more expensive even in SS shortage..man wuts up... carbon fibre shortages too...binford must be making a vaccuum..

yea so just being noid..and yes still having fantasies about that laminated glass SS reinforced extractor with kharmagurl flavoured palm palm tassles :confused:

& yea tahts the pic...thanks keef..i like simple designs like that...

as to clearing/efficiency/yield...wait a day..gthen pump another can...there WILL be more..but doubt youre wrong either...must then be the thinner tube..takes AT LEAST two vects to near clear the above sized extrac...and i like doing a day a aprt...seem to get more...second pump just turns to gas out the end if i do it immedietly...i see waste...hmmm wish i knew more.. :sasmokin:

in the mean time...im keepin' it concentrated the best i can..

cheers/

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
my sister made me glass ones. about 5mm. :)

851tubes.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts