What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Burmese - The Real Seed Company

Tranquilidade

Anyone tried it?

received_955096165216940.jpeg

Herbert Chickybaby

Ordered some, but never tried it smoking it or growing it, should be very intersting. The guy Angus says don't worry too, you'll get plenty of phenos as well, so I suppose there isn't really an "it" to try. Real Seeds doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to send them however, been four days since they got my money and still no tracking number and no answer to the qustion when. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt for now, they are more it seems about preaching/education, and the mission of saving and propagating landraces/heirlooms and correct information about landraces as opposed to marketting hype and other fantasies we are all prone to in absense of information all of which I fully support and I realize all of that takes time and energy they are probably more a club than a seeds seller. But this one and some Lao strains that I also ordered from them and are going to be the core of my outdoor grow in Isaan this June, fingers crossed.

Herbert Chickybaby

Yes, it would be great to hear from anyone who's grown these especially outdoors in the tropics or even just smoked some. I just got my 12 pack today, yay! Thank you Real Seeds! I may not be able to resist experimenting and popping about 3 of them now and put them in a dark room 13 hours/day to induce blooming after a few months of veg outside only in the sun. Its soon going to be getting lighter everyday, so I think it is a must if I want flowers and I plant now.

johnny99

I
Anyone tried it?

View attachment 18779003

I have. A decent population last year. I wasn’t able to get any photos as the season was so busy and because of other factors. But in (relatively) short:

The sort of plant: Big vigorous pure Sativa with large fluffy buds like some of the old Columbians, similar bud structure, too. Possibly the most vigorous Sativa I’ve grown and I’ve grown a good number. (Very tall even with significant root restriction!) !!Some of the buds cure to brown like some classic ‘Thai’ strains!!

Smell (when growing): Mango-carrot and spicy hazy with a bit of incensey-ness and a sweet-citric bite.

Smell (when dried): Peppery, hazy, herbal, minty, oregano, incense, citric, strong ‘waxy’ tropical Sativa smell. The mango smell is a bit more subdued on drying.

Flavor: Extremely spicy, herbal, tobacco-y, smooth, incense.

Potency: High to extremely high.

High: (The best plants in a good amount) Very, very strongly stimulating, turns on your brain, weird thoughts, closed and open eye visuals. Too intense and overwhelming for some people. Tends more towards trippiness than euphoria.

Conclusion: This Landrace has the characteristics that many Sativa lovers are after, the ones that are hard to come by these days. If you want plants that can be scary and mindbending, this is a great strain. If you’re prone to paranoia or panic attacks then you might want to avoid this sort of herb. There’s a lot of diversity in the line still despite being nearly true breeding for sound to very high potency.

The guy behind RSC said that a Lao grower brought seeds back from Burma cause he was impressed. I see why,

Hope this helps. I’ll try and get some photos this season.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

(BTW, if you do decide to grow them, I highly encourage you (or anyone else) to make seeds of the pure line before crossing if you intend to cross them. This sort of effect is rare even in pure Sativas and they're gradually getting crossed out of existence......)

Last edited:

johnny99

^^ just ordered a pack of Burmese based on your report of being trippy and intense. I have run a couple Burmese strains before and neither were very intense or trippy. We will see.
Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you! I'm pretty sure you'll find what you're looking for. I tried most of RSC's SE Asian Sativas last season and if the effects were a spectrum ranging between high euphoria and caffeinated tripped-out paranoia, the Mango Thai and Lao Gold would tend towards the euphoria, the Highland Lao 2 would be in the middle and the Burmese out at the far, tripped-out paranoia edge.

I really enjoyed the HL2 as you seem to have as well, and I found that they had a real peppery bite to them, especially the best plants. But the Burmese can be so peppery it almost burns your tongue despite the fact that the smoke is smooth. In general, I've found that this peppery taste is part of what I'm after, and one of the things that's lacking in most strains these days.

When I first started smoking, I remember that you would, from time to time, find stuff that was scary in a profound, clear, almost sober way, not a burned out, confused I don't feel well sort of way, like really strong hybrid concentrate can do. That kind of high is pretty rare these days, and I'm pretty happy to have found it in the Burmese.

Good work with the HL4 BTW, I'm planning to grow them when I get the funds. They sound real good.

Also, a note:

On the other Burmese as well as these. I referred to the RSC Burmese as pure Sativas in the post. To be exact, I think these have some dual application E Asian genetics, due to hollow stems, massive size, and some cold tolerance. These, in my view, are neither Indica, nor Sativa, nor Hemp, they're their own type: Generally big plants with big seeds that exhibit nice aromas and are employed for seed and fiber applications, flavoring, and medicine. They tend to lack CBD and have minimal THC. They look a lot like Himalayans, but generally lack drug-type potency.

Anyways, if such plants cross with Ganja, the resulting hybrid could lose some of the trippiness and strength if not carefully selected. This could be the reason that the other Burmese strains lacked the effects we're looking for. The present RSC Burmese, however, were pretty clearly selected fairly intensively to the point where only positive or neutral characteristics remained from the cross.

I should probably update the post at some point to explain what I think the genetics really are.

Last edited:

Herbert Chickybaby

I'm in Isaan, lowland area of Thai, and I am so looking forward to planting my RSC Lao seeds. That Burmese was something I had a very good intuition about and it sounds great from these reports on this thread. I'm going to run a few in June, see if i can get lucky and not get too much botryitis etc and then more around August. Yeah going to run those Burmese, the Lao Golds, the Boleokamsai, maybe the Vientienes too a few of each in June and then select from those, whichever seems to do best and plant a bunch of one type in August. Thanks for the reports guys, it sounds like its going to be great fun, I'm psyched!

moose eater

I grew Burmese from Urban Organix Seeds in Vancouver BC (bred/grown by Vancouver Island Seed Co, if I recall correctly) over 20 years ago. They were up above Blunt Bros. Cafe' back then. (Hastings St.?)

She was potent, had what I noted to be a somewhat granular texture to her resin. Was relatively normal time in bloom for a photo-period plant.

Discontinued her for production/weight reasons, as well as other choices/adventures at that time, and I wasn't as pleased with her hash production in my tumbler.

Edit: The one I had was low-slung in her stature. Was one of several over the years that I likened to growing like a low-bush blueberry plant (actual low-bush blueberry plants, not the cannabis strain 'blueberry').

Last edited:

Herbert Chickybaby

I grew Burmese from Urban Organix Seeds in Vancouver BC (bred/rgown by Vancouver Island Seed Co, if I recall correctly) over 20 years ago. They were up above Blunt Bros. Cafe' back then. (Hastings St.?)

She was potent, had what I noted to be a somewhat granular texture her resin. Was relatively normal time in bloom for a photo-period plant.

Discontinued her for production/weight reasons, as well as other choices/adventures at that time, and I wasn't as pleased with her hash production in my tumbler.
Thanks, very interesting too, of course Burma/Myanmar is a good sized country, there's the area near the border of India that iirc is a ganja growing area, from what I have read, and the RSC Burma is from the east very near northern Thailand, Hmong Sat province is where RSC says their Burmese orginates. There are no doubt tons of different Burmese strains, too bad we will see little to none of them, or it will be very dificult as the country is descending into some kind of civil war of late, or so the media says for whatever thats worth. I am going to try and do my part and do my best to get a good amount of seeds.

moose eater

Thanks, very interesting too, of course Burma/Myanmar is a good sized country, there's the area near the border of India that iirc is a ganja growing area, from what I have read, and the RSC Burma is from the east very near northern Thailand, Hmong Sat province is where RSC says their Burmese orginates. There are no doubt tons of different Burmese strains, too bad we will see little to none of them, or it will be very dificult as the country is descending into some kind of civil war of late, or so the media says for whatever thats worth. I am going to try and do my part and do my best to get a good amount of seeds.
With (especially recessive traits) and different breeders/choices, even seeds from the same region and pack might have a wide-ranging variety of phenos.

Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.

Best of luck.

I just sent some 1983/1984 Red Buddha Thai seeds to someone in Mid-West USA from lbs. I was buying way back then.

Waiting to see if anyone can revive the near-ancient buggers.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
no resin as of now and structure is as in picture, not super low or spread out. normal for this type i guess? i wanted a typical sativa structure as that reassures me of genetics, but how it smokes is what matters. Pictures of buds on ILE site look like skinny leaves and low density buds. We will see.

I had an afghan strain that was skinny leaves and no density to it, took forever to finish and never really did. It was like valium, opposite of a sativa in effects.

Herbert Chickybaby

These are Mong Hsat Burmese right after flip. Wide leaves like an indica. From ILE. Guerrero in lower left corner. View attachment 18811458
Love it, thanks so much for posting this. Great that you are also growing a Mexican heirloom/landrace, the Guerrero, or so I assume, Guerrero being a state in Mexico, have spent much time in Mexico, and having some family from there its close to my heart, though I never did much smoking and no growing in Mexico. Yeah, the Mexican strains and all of the Latin Amrican old school stuff really is fascinating to me too. I hope eventually I can grow some of it over here, but there is just so much to get into from Southeast Asia. The Camodians and Vietnamese too.

Very sad that it seems there is almost zero interest in the old classic strains since legalization in Thailand, let alone a gem like this from Burma. There are tens of thousands of cannabis shops in Thailand now, none of them that I have found advertise classic Thai and Southeast Asian strains on their websites and I have checked out a fair few. But, you see, anything to do with Laos is held in contempt by the majority of Thais and Burma is Thailand's arch-enemy so its not exactly the best way to market your weed calling it Lao Gold or Burmese Blue or what have you, so perhaps I can't expect to locate any of it just from the names. What would this strain be called for marketing purposes then, Godzilla Breath Mints?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, quite sad what happened in Thailand/elsewhere with US putting economic pressure to make cannabis illegal there during the 70's. Thai stick had become a concern for the DEA back then. hehe Too strong.

Since the US is no longer punishing/cutting off funding to cannabis growing/exporting nations they now have dropped the cannabis is bad bullshit, with no one apologizing about arresting and harassing that they did all those years. Not to mention they were lying to their people about pot being very harmful for all that time, but that is common for governments, I think?

The old lines are hard to find in most countries and harder by the day. I expected Thailand to do what it is doing, and copy the US in the way it deals with pot and emphasize modern hybrids. Start with medical and then just say it is the same as beer/alcohol and tax the hell out of it either way.

The modern hybrids produce a fair amount of euphoria and are strong. The older lines in general are not as high in thc, terpenes, and do not look as good in terms of density and colors. An old Thai or similar line can produce an anxiety reaction with the very stimulating nature of the high. Less desire these days to trip out/sometimes freakout a bit and expand your awareness of yourself and the world, and more to mellow out and just feel good.

That Guerrero in the pic is from 1972 seed by way of Chimera. He mixed it with Blueberry but that plant I have is very much Guerrero, that is why I kept it. Back in the late 1970's, I welcomed the new hybrids grown here in California and mostly did not seek out intense and psychedelic lines at that time. I just wanted to chill out and feel good like most do now.

Herbert Chickybaby

Yes, quite sad what happened in Thailand/elsewhere with US putting economic pressure to make cannabis illegal there during the 70's. Thai stick had become a concern for the DEA back then. hehe Too strong.

Since the US is no longer punishing/cutting off funding to cannabis growing/exporting nations they now have dropped the cannabis is bad bullshit, with no one apologizing about arresting and harassing that they did all those years. Not to mention they were lying to their people about pot being very harmful for all that time, but that is common for governments, I think?

The old lines are hard to find in most countries and harder by the day. I expected Thailand to do what it is doing, and copy the US in the way it deals with pot and emphasize modern hybrids. Start with medical and then just say it is the same as beer/alcohol and tax the hell out of it either way.

The modern hybrids produce a fair amount of euphoria and are strong. The older lines in general are not as high in thc, terpenes, and do not look as good in terms of density and colors. An old Thai or similar line can produce an anxiety reaction with the very stimulating nature of the high. Less desire these days to trip out/sometimes freakout a bit and expand your awareness of yourself and the world, and more to mellow out and just feel good.

That Guerrero in the pic is from 1972 seed by way of Chimera. He mixed it with Blueberry but that plant I have is very much Guerrero, that is why I kept it. Back in the late 1970's, I welcomed the new hybrids grown here in California and mostly did not seek out intense and psychedelic lines at that time. I just wanted to chill out and feel good like most do now.
No, and I would not expect them to apologize, and yes in all of the half dozen countries I have lived in, governments are like that, sociopaths and psychopaths will accept nothing less than being top of the food chain and claw their way to the top of coporate and govenment structures, so as long as people refuse to grow up and feel they need mommy and daddy in the form of a government, yes we will have these guys going on their rampages with impunity and without an iota of compunction is how I see it.

Yes, I have an old friend who lives in Colombia, it sounds like Thailand, they want their modern hybrids there too and government sounds like they are getting very meddlesome with seeds and genetics and making it illegal to make your own seeds unless you get a license and I can't imagine they are being too generous with those. Some kind of total lunacy will go down here eventually too with regards to that. I read somewhere they have appointed some old fussbudget the office of cannabis control, someone who has never even seen a bag of ganja except under the glare of commitee room florescent bulb buzzing away. The governent is full of these bitter Chinese-Thai old spinstresses who wear clothing straight out of the 1940's complete with dusty wigs with 1940's cabinet dust. I worked for a nuber of years in government univeristis and know the mindest, ridiculously insular, to the point of totally delusional. Its like working for the Mad Hatter working in a university office re-writing their researc papers for them etc. Anyway, the new commisionr or whatever she is Apparently she has come out with the proclaimation that she will tax all countries' incoming ganja products extra if they contain any Thai genetics, that these countries must pay for what they have taken from Thailand. These are the same kinds of geniuses who propose that tourists be required to wear bracelets at all times with wifi connnection to police computer networks so that they can be protected at all times and monitored as to their whereabouts. Thankfully they rarely follow through with any of it, so it is all just top level entertainment in the end.

ANd, yeah, OK, yeah, I am from Los Angeles area and also lived in the bay area for nearly two decades, I am pretty sure that my dad used to grow stuff in our basement that was Mexican, he didn't care what it was, but remember a remark from his buddy who supplied him with seeds that he was getting them from Mexican plants. That was the first stuff I ever smoked and like people say about Mexican it really gave you the giggles and we were crazy teenagers who enjoyed the paranoia of the Colombian we would get too. We were always paranoid about the weed itself too and it was this kind of black humor we would engage in based on that paranoia where we would act like we knew it was just fucking pcp or embalming fluid laced crap and that that was why we would sometimes kind of reak out on the stuff and we'd say, "Yeah, hey man lets get dusted! Lets smoke some of that sherm!" I half believed thats maybe what the paranoia was coming from. But no that sounds more alarming and serious than it was, we just liked making ucked up shit up and laughing about it it was just fun in the end.

I grew some Thai this year that is turning out to be a very euphoric variety as it finishes curing, zero paranoia, yeah its very nice, and there is enough psychedelia to it that it is not boring. I don't know what kind of Thai it is, we just got seedlings in the local market off of a farmer for few bucks each. They hermied but it still came out very well, I can't wait to try some of it that is female, grown out with more care. I smoked som e the other night and had a very good body high an felt very happy. I woke up the next morning feeling even more blissed out, maybe it was something I ate I dont know, hahah, I'll see what happens maybe tonight f I get a chance to sit down and smoke, it was a little too good to be true from some half baked hermy grow i did.

Latest posts

Latest posts