What's new

Building an IC Clearinator

what cold finger? where do you see that?

just a short path with a liebig & vacuum take off no?

I believe that piece also has a cold finger running down the middle of the stem. I am using the term "cold finger" in a generic chemistry equipment sense (ie a piece of tube that can have coolant run through it to create localized cold) not cold finger as in the Eden Labs piece of equipment. Although those obviously function on a similar premise. Like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condenser_(laboratory)#Liebig_condenser

If I am incorrect on the terminology, which is totally possible since its been a minute since I was in organic lab, I apologize. I am pretty sure though that a liebig refers to a simple straight tubed condenser while a cold finger is the correct term in this case.

queequeg152

Veteran
no this is just a liebig short path condenser. i was asking because i thought you might of been referring to something else, or something that was deleted etc.

above the vacuum take off( the lower angled barb) you can see the water jacket necks down onto the vapor tube and seals shut.

then it opens up again for the vacuum take off.

the vapor tube continues past the GG joint such that it forms a clean dripper.

a while back i mentioned one of these things, but didnt have an image on hand... so here.

LG6290.gif

basically the same thing but with a rotatable cold finger with a dripper that can be rotated from reflux to distillation.

imo one of these would be good for what ever you folks are up too. should be gobs cheaper than the kugelrohr... not going to be real efficient though, probably only good for experimenting.

not dissing the short path that was posted btw.... it will work great, it just lacks that refluxing ability.

Ah I see what you are saying. The piece of glassware he posted is shaped like the cold finger I was looking at a while back but that did have refluxing ability. I agree however that regardless its not going to be efficient but should serve well for proof of concept which is what we were going to use it for and what I would guess Roji is going for as well since we have since decided on this thread even the Kug isnt really what you need if you want to efficiently produce this stuff. I am excited to see someone do it with some basic glassware though as I dont think anyone on the thread has done that yet... at least not with results posted.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is what Eden Labs is now offering for molecular distillation:

The larger vessel has a 3/4" stir bar throwing the solution out into a thin film.

Attachments

• Molecular distillation-1-1.jpg
    Molecular distillation-1-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 16

A6 Grower

Veteran
This glass stuff is so confusing lol. That just looks like the short path what i thought was called a fractional distillation setup. Maybe because ive got a short virgeux column thats the fraction part. If i take that off do i know have a molecular distillation setup? lol just when i think im starting to know what all this shit is called....

Here is what Eden Labs is now offering for molecular distillation:

The larger vessel has a 3/4" stir bar throwing the solution out into a thin film.

Ha and they charge a casual 12 grand for that thing and call it a "winterizer"complete with Paypal options. They are mighty proud of there stuff that is for sure. Oh and add 5 grand for protocol.

queequeg152

Veteran
12 grand for that? wtf? seriously?

you can get a brand new name brand, bench top roto vap with a digital vacuum regulator for like 2-5 grand these days.

all that is... is a kettle with a stirred mantle and liebig. like 1000 bucks worth of parts.

what a stupid fucking company.

Ha yea that was kindof my point. Not saying that the equipment couldn't be put to some good use but damn if you just throw down 12 g's for that you may in fact have more money than sense. If thats the case good for you but if you are going to drop thousands of dollars on molecular distillation save your pennies and get a Meyer or Pope. Granted they are significantly more expensive than even those but they are also much more impressive pieces of equipment IMO. For simple solvent recollection like they are marketing it for I agree, rotovape for the win.

For your amusement:
http://edenlabs.com/equipment/coldfinger/winterizer

queequeg152

Veteran
ohm, i didnt realise it was a 22l flask...

its actually not that outrageous. i saw the size of that lab jack and i assumed it was just alike a 5 liter set up.

a new 22liter kettle type flask will cost you several thousand dollars. a mantle that size will cost at least a grand, probably more.

its probably like 50% profit, what with the low volumes they probably deal in.

not that outrageous.

on the other hand... there is always ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Finkenbei...885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edf70fe2d

Oh for sure lab equipment is expensive no doubt, from them or otherwise. Especially that large. But again to get all the goodies there's a five grand and a 1500 dollar add on as well. Ha and good ol ebay coming in for the win on recycled laboratory gear. Many a good eeerls made with stuff from ebay if you know what to look for I have no doubt.

I cannot speak from experience for the Eden Lab equipment as our group has never purchased any of it to date but I would imagine that the protocol is exactly what it sounds like being how to use it for the specific applications they are outlining. I could be wrong about that however so If so someone else please correct me.

As for the roto vapes the general consensus from this previous thread, see link below, is that cheap rotovape may have low availability and recourse from the produce if they break or malfunction as all equipment tends to do at some point. However as someone on the thread aptly pointed out if they last you a week they will pay for themselves so on a budget initially it may not be a bad starting point until you make your investment back. So thus far the word is that some people have heard some negative things about cheeper companies like hyrdion but no confirmed that I saw. However from working in a research lab or two you generally get what you pay for when dealing with reputable companies on equipment but I cant knock it if I havent tried it.

Old Roto Vap Thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287247

queequeg152

Veteran

nothing. they work fine. you might have trouble getting parts, but otherwise it will work fine.

if you can afford it, id suggest buying a used buchi machine and getting Chinese glass(if its missing pieces)... the resale value on a no name piece of equipment is always dog shit.

there is really no such thing as 'bad' lab glass... just too thin, or improperly binned pieces. Its all going to be boro glass... they might even be using the same suppliers that more reputable companies use.

glassware with bubbles is supposed to be discarded, and possibly recycled. you might find that a cheaper brand allows small imperfections like this. FWIW a bubble isnt a huge deal on something like a recieving flask thats not subjected to temperature stresses, but generally speaking your boiling flasks should be perfect and free of chips everwhere except the GG joint lips.

what do you even want a rotovap for btw?

nothing. they work fine. you might have trouble getting parts, but otherwise it will work fine.

if you can afford it, id suggest buying a used buchi machine and getting Chinese glass(if its missing pieces)... the resale value on a no name piece of equipment is always dog shit.

there is really no such thing as 'bad' lab glass... just too thin, or improperly binned pieces. Its all going to be boro glass... they might even be using the same suppliers that more reputable companies use.

glassware with bubbles is supposed to be discarded, and possibly recycled. you might find that a cheaper brand allows small imperfections like this. FWIW a bubble isnt a huge deal on something like a recieving flask thats not subjected to temperature stresses, but generally speaking your boiling flasks should be perfect and free of chips everwhere except the GG joint lips.

what do you even want a rotovap for btw?

^What he said if you dont care to read the thread. I would assume anyone buying a rotovape is recovering ethanol from winterizing. Not sure what else people may use them for. Someone on the old thread implied he used it for recovering solvent from d-limonene but I dont know what the validity of that was.

snake11

12 grand for that? wtf? seriously?

you can get a brand new name brand, bench top roto vap with a digital vacuum regulator for like 2-5 grand these days.

all that is... is a kettle with a stirred mantle and liebig. like 1000 bucks worth of parts.

what a stupid fucking company.

Couldn't agree more. . Eden Labs is a joke. Overpriced for poor craftsmanship and bad customer service.

snake11

ohm, i didnt realise it was a 22l flask...

its actually not that outrageous. i saw the size of that lab jack and i assumed it was just alike a 5 liter set up.

a new 22liter kettle type flask will cost you several thousand dollars. a mantle that size will cost at least a grand, probably more.

its probably like 50% profit, what with the low volumes they probably deal in.

not that outrageous.

on the other hand... there is always ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Finkenbei...885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edf70fe2d

Also the 22L heating mantel is on the watched supplies list. It's is actually the only piece of equipment listed according to the AG.

Latest posts

Latest posts