What's new

Building an IC Clearinator

ghostmade

Veteran
I thought about this years ago when grey wolf said be careful with heating up the vac chamber. Everythings boiling point dramatically decreases under vacuum,including THC. So what you're doing is pulling a vacuum and recondensing the boiled off cannabinoids..the clear is for the birds.lol flame me, I've smoked it.it not a" full spectrum" high.but hell im not here to knock any experiments or new teks for a solventless extract.im just warning you not to expect the same high is all.ive smoked clear jilly bean .and 24 k wax.the wax had me banged up.the clear had me high for like 30 minutes.
I believe the boiling off vs dissolving thc dose ha e effects on its"legs" but idk 8m tagged along for the ride.maby I'm completely wrong.i just wanted to state my opinion. Shit i hope im wrong. Good luck with this.maby this coukd be a tool in blending thc into high cbd extracts or vice versa.or used to lighting the color of the darker extract high.

Pastelero

The Recipe

The Recipe

;)Here is the recipe, good luck!

Preparation of high purity “natural-source” cannabinoid fractions

Natural-source cannabinoid fractions were isolated from approximately 1 L of pooled methanol extracts, from about 50 individual samples processed in our lab. The pooled
extract was dried with anhydrous sodium sulfate, filtered, and the solvent removed on a rotary evaporator.

The flask containing the residual viscous, dark green oil was fitted onto a Kugelröhr molecular distillation apparatus with a receiving bulb, and evacuated to approximately 0.2 mm Hg. With rotation, the flask was gradually heated in the apparatus, and clear,
amber oil distilled at ~170 C. Yield was ~3.5 g. This amber oil was distilled a second time, yielding ~3.2 g of a yellow oil (Figure 3a; also 4a and b).

Further purification was achieved by centrifugal thin-layer chromatography, using an Analtech Cyclograph equipped with a 4 mm silica rotor (separation ‘disk,’ see Figure 4c).

The elution solvent (7.5% ethyl acetate in hexane) is pumped into the center of the rotating disk, and once it saturates the silica layer and spins off the edge, it is caught in a trough, and collected through a tube at the bottom of the device; the separation is
conducted under a blanket of nitrogen gas to prevent compound oxidation. Once solvent flow is established and flowrate checked, the mixture to be separated (in a small volume of solvent) is applied with the solvent pump, and components are visualized as expanding bands as they separate, by viewing the disk with UV light (Figure 4e).

The first solvent fraction contained Δ9-THC; solvent was removed on the rotary evaporator, and the residue distilled again on the Kugelröhr. GC/MS showed this material to be ~94% Δ9-THC and ~6% cannabinol, with very small amounts of other minor cannabinoids (Figure 3b; also Figure 4f). After this point this very viscous resin was transferred to vials or for
weighing by heating containers with a heat gun until the oil ran freely, to avoid introducing extraneous solvents that might distort weights.

There are even pictures, for those not capable to read ;)
Still, you guys have no idea about chemistry! :biggrin:

https://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?A=ShowDocPartFrame&ID=7448&DocPartID=6594

flatslabs

Pop in, post a link anyone can google, tell us we are all stupid. I mean, it is not like Hazekamps work wasn't being talked about 6 months ago already.

Thanks Professor!

Snype

Veteran
I'm just going to keep updating the first 6 posts in this thread with possible relevant links or information that you guys give. Probably will be a long process.

Sunfire

Veteran
In one of the other clear threads, this guy was defending the applications of this process by saying they are discovering certain constituents of MJ (ones I've never even heard of) were being discovered to be most beneficial for different ailments. There's a huge range of molecules in regular oil, even more in herb. I'm wondering if the effect of the less pronounced "high" with the clear is because it is so isolated. Kinda like bacterial colonies need eachother, a single strain of bacteria will not survive more then a few generations (you might have discovered this if ever trying to make yogurt). Similar how the vitrilis leaf is needed with the ayuahsca vine.

I think this process has great potential for medical applications.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
;)Here is the recipe, good luck!

There are even pictures, for those not capable to read ;)
Still, you guys have no idea about chemistry! :biggrin:

https://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?A=ShowDocPartFrame&ID=7448&DocPartID=6594

Thanks for the link!!!! MEmed posted it in his own thread, with a little anger directed at "You guys or those guys"

I am sure those guys have no idea bout chemistry either!!!!

We can't all have PHDs in Organic Chemistry as well as masters in engenering as well as a phd in botany as well as an MBA as well as a law degree.

Not all aspects of this clear are completely understand by many of us, but I for one am willing to read, research, and contribute.

:joint:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I'm just going to keep updating the first 5 posts in this thread with possible relevant links or information. Probably will be a long process.

Smart, smart, smart, that you reserved those early posts.

From the reading this process will only be good for my mistakes or sub par mass extracted material.

I personally love the taste and high of full spectrum extracts. I prefer BHO over CO2.

All products and product categories have their place.

Sunfire

Veteran
Smart, smart, smart, that you reserved those early posts.

From the reading this process will only be good for my mistakes or sub par mass extracted material.

I personally love the taste and high of full spectrum extracts. I prefer BHO over CO2.

All products and product categories have their place.

I came to the same conclusion. I have looked at co2 machines for years now just to drool over the pictures. One thing I learned is how supercritical leaves out a lot of terpenes so people use subcritical. The load rate then however is 20:1 and a run takes forever. Lots of people say they like this or that better or worse.

alpine in LA is pretty much just taking people's black nasty, charging 8$ a gram (maybe you get a bulk discount) and hand back some really lovely colored material. Super light golden blonde like super pure clover honey, very translucent. What I saw wasn't extremely stable though.

Other than that I think it's only application would be medical, which could have great potential. I don't think this is going to be the next fad but would be funny to see in the back of dispensaries a Co2 machine next to a butane machine, next to a propane machine, next to a blend machine, next to a clearinator.

Snype

Veteran
Maybe this will help get this build thread started:

Hillbilly Engineering- A Homebuilt Kugelrohr
https://gaussling.wordpress.com/2009/07/17/hillbilly-engineering-a-homebuilt-kugelrohr/

"In the mid 1990’s I had the good fortune to do a 1-year sabbatical replacement teaching gig at Ft Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. Of the several colleges in which I was lucky enough to be a faculty member, this school was absolutely the best. The chemistry department had a vitality that I had not experienced elsewhere, and sadly, would not be fortunate enough to repeat.

From my office high up on the mesa next to town I could hear the whistle of the steam locomotives of the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. On friday afternoons a campus Native American group would sit around a single drum outside of Berndt Hall, each striking a hypnotic beat on the preserved skin while chanting and singing in the Ute language. While they were chanting the steam locomotives in the town below would blow their whistles, announcing their arrival for the tourists. The sound of it was an otherworldly experience I have not forgotten.

A prof I got to know at Ft Lewis, Dr. Irwin “Ike” Klundt, was a retired VP from Aldrich. He was to become a mentor and friend. It turns out that Ike was the inventor of the coffee pot kugelrohr that Aldrich offered in its catalog. West Bend, the appliance company, had a coffee pot manufacturing operation in Milwaukee, WI, where Aldrich was then headquartered. Ike learned that they would always have a few off-spec units coming from their mfg line, so he arranged to snag a few of these units. He recognized that these pots were built to contain heat and would be dandy ovens for his application. The large metal coffee pots were delivered to a one man shop somewhere in Milwaukee where the they would be converted to ovens for the Aldrich kugelrohr still, or “bulb-tube” short path distillation device to be more precise.

To provide agitation around the axis of the distillation train, an automotive pneumatic windshield wiper motor provided the needed reciprocating motion. It had a built-in tube that would serve to couple the bulb tube train to the vacuum line. The reciprocating motion of the motor removed the need for a sealed bearing as in the case of a rotary evaporator.

Aldrich sold a geat many of these units. In later years the kugelrohr was modified to enhance safety and ease of use. Aldrich has never been shy about pricing, so the price went way up as well.

I was thinking about this bit of history yesterday as I was operating my home-built kugelrohr. Sometimes shortpath distillation is needed and yesterday was the day for it. Using Ike as my inspiration, I horizontally configured a Buchi rotovap into a kugelrohr distillation unit with a still pot and a bulb tube receiver.

On a hotplate with a temperature indicator, I placed an 8 inch diameter sheet metal 90 degree elbow from Home Depot. The elbow, modified with a bit of aluminum foil, would serve as my hot air bath. The elbow and hotplate assembly is scooted over to the rotovap so that the still pot bulb is isolated in the “oven”. A dry ice/acetone cooling bath for the receiver bulb was made from the bottom of a plastic jar. It was notched on opposite ends to accomodate the receiver joints.

The setup works just like a Buchi-brand kugelrohr, but doesn’t carry the price of a luxury ocean cruise. I know that larger companies would not allow this kind of thing. They would frown on a chemist using his time to kludge together a piece of improvised equipment. Their safety people would not allow the operation of a device that was not purpose manufactured. But when you work for a small company this is one of the things you have to do, and I enjoy every minute of it."

Rickys bong

Veteran
Clear shatter?

Clear shatter?

Thanks for that paper Pastelero.
The cyclograph was particularly intriguing. The amount of product it can process is small but the fact that it can separate at room temperature led me to think that virtually pure THC acid could be produced easily.

So when are we going to see transparent shatter showing up on the market? Short path distillation is going to decarb the product so it'll always be runny but one of the types of centrifugal chromatography would separate the fractions at room temp. Cool.

RB

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
if it is runny then it isn't shatter. The clear 100% bland THC is already on the market.

We are now trying to get the whole system down to the MKIII user's price range.

queequeg152

Veteran
Thanks for that paper Pastelero.
The cyclograph was particularly intriguing. The amount of product it can process is small but the fact that it can separate at room temperature led me to think that virtually pure THC acid could be produced easily.

So when are we going to see transparent shatter showing up on the market? Short path distillation is going to decarb the product so it'll always be runny but one of the types of centrifugal chromatography would separate the fractions at room temp. Cool.

RB

centrifugal chromatography, especually the cyclograph and the chromatotron is functionally... not any different than a big fat thick preperatory TLC plate. spinning only expedites the process greatly and reduces the rf ratio.

i think those rotors can be built up to like 5mm? idk exactly, but the same results can be accomplished, though slowly, with a shit load of 2mm 10x10 plates...

the chromatotron rotors need periodic scraping... the very highly polar constituents will stick to the inner part of the rotor and contaminate the plate. you can to scrape the inner portion down to glass then re apply new slurry, it sounds easy, but from what ive read, its all a huge pain in the ass, and most folks just buy a shitload of these 200 dollar rotors... throwing them out as they need to.

a cheaper, slower alternative to the chromatotron is a good flash column setup... you will have to adjust the sorbant solvent system to reflect the need for higher rf values.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Hydrosun, the current "clear" products are probably runny because they are produced using vacuum distillation and thus decarbed from the heat.
Using a room temp separation device would allow THC acid to be separated and when the solvent is purged you'd be left with transparent shatter...

Pain in the ass I'm sure, but interesting concept.

Chonkski

There are some people in my area sending thier co2 extracts through centrifugal chromotography. All I could think is, "I want to play!"

queequeg152

Veteran
There are some people in my area sending thier co2 extracts through centrifugal chromotography. All I could think is, "I want to play!"

well the centrifugal units are meer pennies compared to say... an FTIR unit...

i think one can be had for 500-1000 bucks or so new. .. a detector is something else entirely...

udaman

I have the kugelrohr apparatus from aldrich . ran a couple of tests nothing good yet.
brought temps up to 200c (too hot) and got something that looked pretty good but smelled horrible.
some made it past the receiving flask and the cold trap caught it but also smelled horrible.
I will be running more test if you guys have any ideas or suggestions on testing let me know.

Latest posts

Latest posts