What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building a Home Made LED

tenthirty

Look up CXA3070.....I think that they are the best at this point in time. My first completed run with these shows great results.

For side lighting XML2's are hard to beat.

thaichimaster

Thank you man, for suggestion. I might compare and choose cree's cxa 2520 Nichia chips because i think it's better if I spread light more evenly with smaller cobs, though my first tought was also cxa3070 but maybe to strong for my 40x60cm box and I only have 90cm of height.

For side lightning xml-2s are gonna be :D.

Bye

tenthirty

running the 3070's at 700ma would do the trick. 25w each at 49% efficiency.
If it was me I would do 4 of these in your space. Don't forget the orca film;-)

Dion

running the 3070's at 700ma would do the trick. 25w each at 49% efficiency.
If it was me I would do 4 of these in your space. Don't forget the orca film;-)

how do you find the efficiency specs on the cobs?

also have you seen the CXB(CXA2) mmmmm

Dion

The data sheets from Cree give all of the specs.
Oh yes.....I'm trying to get samples now.

digikey has them, not sure about the binning, i saw a 3590 and i think a 3070 on Edit: ab bins 40 bucks

i still cant find the specs for efficiency at dif amps...:1help:

Last edited:

Jeeyah

I'm planning a light to replace a 1000HPS. I want it to take a shit on the HPS. It's not worth planning and building a light unless it's going to be better.

I plan on using (9) CXB3070 or Vero 29. For drivers, Meanwell LPF-90's or HLG-80-H. I'll post some pictures once the light is built.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm planning a light to replace a 1000HPS. I want it to take a shit on the HPS. It's not worth planning and building a light unless it's going to be better.

I plan on using (9) CXB3070 or Vero 29. For drivers, Meanwell LPF-90's or HLG-80-H. I'll post some pictures once the light is built.

For those of us who lack the skills to DIY a panel equal to 1000w hps, check this out 6 COBs, each encircled with various spectrum enhancing diodes + UV-b @ 350w $895

http://www.amaretechnologies.com/se.350.uv.html

Jeeyah

1000 Watt HPS Destroyer

1000 Watt HPS Destroyer

This is how you take a shit on HPS.

1. 16 COBS have a better spread than 5 or 9. (I was trying to save by running fewer COB's).

2. HLG-185H-C1400B is 94% efficient versus LPF-90 @ 90% efficient.

3. Using the HLG to run 4 COBS at 1.4 amps versus 1.9 amp on the LPF, I think you gain about 4% efficiency. (I think)

You can do this with less COB's or cheaper drivers. But, to take a shit on the 1k, this seems like the way to go.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Dion

This is how you take a shit on HPS.

1. 16 COBS have a better spread than 5 or 9. (I was trying to save by running fewer COB's).

2. HLG-185H-C1400B is 94% efficient versus LPF-90 @ 90% efficient.

3. Using the HLG to run 4 COBS at 1.4 amps versus 1.9 amp on the LPF, I think you gain about 4% efficiency. (I think)

You can do this with less COB's or cheaper drivers. But, to take a shit on the 1k, this seems like the way to go.:biggrin:

sounds absolutely rad!

16 cxb3070 @ 1.4 A?

so thast 900 watts already? less lumens than a 1000w hps but i think u will win by bringing it a lot closer to the canopy for sure seen as heat isnt projected off these if u build this light it will be the build of the century plz keep us updated :tiphat:

also at petflora; there is no way that silly hyped up light you sell could touch an 1000w hps (400w possibly) if im wrong prove it(independent testing)

tenthirty

Here's what I know.

IMG_0969.jpg

I've done about 15 runs on these.

sprinkl

Veteran
so thast 900 watts already? less lumens than a 1000w hps but i think u will win by bringing it a lot closer to the canopy for sure seen as heat isnt projected off these if u build this light it will be the build of the century plz keep us updated :tiphat:

Is distance really that important? If you have good reflective material on the walls you shouldn't lose much % to reflection... And in multiple light rooms even less so, as you get better overlap which improves yield.

Jeeyah

What do you guys think the ideal spacing is?

50 watt COB 12-14" apart?

75 watt COB 14-16" apart?

Seems like it depends on application.