What's new

Building a Home Made LED

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are using a current-limiting driver, there is no need for resistors.

You will want to run them in parallel so that they each see the full voltage of the driver. If you put them in series, you will drop the voltage across each component. For instance, if you put all four of them in series, 24v / 4 = 6v across each cob. At 6v, they are going to be very dim if they are lit at all.

*edit* make sure and see below where Weez corrected my screwup.

Last edited:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
If you are using a current-limiting driver, there is no need for resistors.

Quite right!

You will want to run them in parallel so that they each see the full voltage of the driver. If you put them in series, you will drop the voltage across each component. For instance, if you put all four of them in series, 24v / 4 = 6v across each cob. At 6v, they are going to be very dim if they are lit at all.

Oops.
Can't run them in parallel unless they each have their own driver.
The ones with the lowest Vf. will hog all the current.

A current limiter works by adjusting the voltage across a load.
10 different emitters will have ten different voltage drops for peak efficacy.
Just use a c/l driver of a high enough voltage and run them in series.
Or, give each unit it's own driver.

Much respect Rives, you know electricity.:tiphat:
But LEDs are non-linear loads, they have extra rules. :)

Considering that he already has those parts, one could put them in parallel and use series resistors in the returns to balance the currents.
But I have some reservations here about driving 24-28V units with a 24 volt driver.
And with using a 240W. supply for 4 60W. units.
In both cases, where is the headroom?
Should be, at minimum, 320W. 32V. supply.
I'm just sayin'

Aloha,
Weeze

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, got me! I didn't think any further than the voltage drop from a series hookup with his existing driver. I've obviously been spending too much time playing with my CDMs rather than the LEDs!

Thanks.
tiphat.gif

tenthirty

my supplies i purchased

4- 60w cree xlamp cob (they say 24-28v)
heatsink
24v 240w 10amp led driver

my question is will i need any resistors in my set up if i use a led driver? and am i better off hooking in series or parallel?

Post a part number for your Cree COB's, and I''ll post up some links to the appropriate parts (drivers and heatsinks) to run your COB's.

B

Bleed~green

This is very interesting, I haven't had time to read the whole thread so I'm sorry if these questions have been answered but I'm goin go build flowering light using 8-10 of these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-Cree-XPE-LED-Emitter-30-Watts-Red-Blue-Grow-Light-DIY-/231053541998, my question is what kind of drivers do I need, I think I want to do 2 30W LEDs per 60 watt driver if possible, I am open to any and all advice, my grow space is 2x4 tent,2 plant dwc scrog by the way.

Thanks
Bg

Hello all, I had a question or two regarding the hook up of this unit---

I just received it and am excited to use it with my CXA 3050 or the CXA 3070 that is coming soon.
My questions regarding the Arctic are these---
Should I just cut off the factory plastic plug-in and just wire up the four wires?
These wires are to be attached to the output right??? along with the cob? Or should I get a different power source? Forgive me , as I am not yet very skilled with some of these wiring schemes. Thank you all in advance for your help :tip hat:

Any general tips you all can help with in regards to compatible units that work in conjunction, or are related to the CXA are also helpful

Ten thirty has been a fantastic link provider, thanks a bunch for that

morgandecaptain

Hello all, I had a question or two regarding the hook up of this unit---

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=10746&pictureid=1247513View Image

I just received it and am excited to use it with my CXA 3050 or the CXA 3070 that is coming soon.
My questions regarding the Arctic are these---
Should I just cut off the factory plastic plug-in and just wire up the four wires?
These wires are to be attached to the output right??? along with the cob? Or should I get a different power source? Forgive me , as I am not yet very skilled with some of these wiring schemes. Thank you all in advance for your help :tip hat:

Any general tips you all can help with in regards to compatible units that work in conjunction, or are related to the CXA are also helpful

Ten thirty has been a fantastic link provider, thanks a bunch for that

Different power supply for the cooler fan,12v max, .2 amp fan.
I didn't cut off the female plug,a 20 ga wire will slide right in.
Red is + and Black is -
I ordered one of these 12v,2a,24w adjustable power supplies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36076635478...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Ordering it right now. .. Great tip
Yeah I noticed this link earlier but I wasn't sure how it was incorporated.
Thanks again, I'm excited to use these Crees.

Do you happen to know if they make a single power supply for several potential CXA's? Instead of numerous individual drivers?

Last edited:

blooray

The package has arrived!!

The obligatory box shot.

View attachment 182762

I hate popcorn!!

View attachment 182763

The goodies in the box.

View attachment 182764

Now for a little review of Rapidled.

Everything was packed well.
The shipping was prompt with email notifications.
Emails have been responded to promptly.

Inside the package came a letter that stated, test the leds before you solder them in because we will not honor the warranty if you soldered them already. There was also a led tester included, just have to add 2 AA batteries.

So I will be testing leds tonight and finalizing the layout of the 2 different colors.

By the way, if you own a bluelab guardian and have the segments go out like this, I can give you a part number for a replacement.

Better have expert soldering skills as well!!

View attachment 182765

Sorry for quoting such a long way back but im unable to PM as i have never posted before (i dont think!) i was just wondering if you had that part number? Only trouble is im in the UK so i dont know if i will be able to get it from the same supplier! Thanks

thanks for the info guys but i went ahead and bought the 24v 240w driver on ebay . it has a voltage adjuster. it ranges from 19v-26.5v it has 3 outputs. i made a oscillating led light fan out of one. i have only one 60w cob running but just ordered 2 more. that thing kicks ass i also have a 192w apollo cob. i think mine is cooler and runs cooler. check out my thread i just started if you want to check out my little operation lol.

Yea Apollo works nice . but I think my day led is possibly just as bright . Cree makes the best LEDs...
Check out my grow journal thing I started if you want to watch the progress of my current grow.

I have a live feed of my grow on my server. I might add a link to it on my web sight with a good grow journal.

Thchill.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 19

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On another popular grow site one grower/DIYer tested the chinese cobs. Pretty pathetic, destined for mediocrity, if not outright failure

When something sounds to good to be true...

In COBs you get what you pay for

Thanks, I am trying out so many types right now, Chinese and CREE. Just getting my feet wet. I'll get over and check out your grow.

Latest posts

Latest posts