What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building a detached Shop/garage Grow 40 X 60? 55k Budget

I am going to break loose, on my ghetto budget, and buy 12 or 24 from Cutter or Timber growlights soon, of Vero 27's.

You need to plan your grow areas, based on variety/feed. Problem with RDWC, is all pants on same reservoir get same feed.

You will need a lumen/LUX meter, and do small scale for test. I will have them before you. If you want me to do lumen/separation/distance to plant/temperature tests, can do before I mount.

That sounds awesome! I would certainly appreciate it!

I imagine I'll have a couple reservoirs for each room flower room. Can't wait to see how that turns out!

Lumens,lux, foot-candles all measure light visible to the naked eye, and on pretty much the same scale. Essentially worthless in a botany context.

Get a cheap PAR meter, it measures plant active response in mmol.

Sunlight is around 2100mmol at the ground, 30 inches off a good DE 1000w bulb should be 1100 to 1500mmol.

Alright! I'm up for the task. I'll certainly add that to the list.

Hey everyone! I'm Getting excited. I'll be breaking ground here soon. A bit nervous but I think this is going to turn out great. Any input about the design would be nice. I think for my budget I'm doing this the most efficient. But it's always nice to double check :D

queequeg152

Veteran
breaking ground soon?

do you even have anything on paper? manual J, utilites located etc?

sounds like you are either way way ahead of yourself, or on the way to a hacky job.

queequeg152

Veteran
Lumens,lux, foot-candles all measure light visible to the naked eye, and on pretty much the same scale. Essentially worthless in a botany context.

Get a cheap PAR meter, it measures plant active response in mmol.

Sunlight is around 2100mmol at the ground, 30 inches off a good DE 1000w bulb should be 1100 to 1500mmol.

a generic light meter is NOT worthless... just not the proper tool for measuring PAR lighting at a plant canopy or what ever.

they are quite valuable for tracking the degradation of bulbs though.

i use a generic 20 dollar light meter to track the bulb output of my transplant fixtures all the time... PLL bulbs are like 8 bucks each after all.

i use a shitty drafting ruler... lower the lamp to exactly 12 inches touching the ruler, then place the meter on the shelf right on the ruler.
when the output at the working temp to like 75% ill get new bulbs.

rykus

I only read two pages as I'm on a mobile, but you are getting varying info from various levels of growers.... asses that.

First step is power. Go look at your transformer and the gauge and distance of your wires. Most residential services at the lot line are 25 kva meaning they are maxing out (80% I think) at about 25000 watts on 240 amp .... if you have a. Dehums or jet pumps on 120 and don't balance them you could max your can out once under load.Wells use about 20 amps on 240 so that's 4 lights down to 21... veg.... 4 lights...17bloom max... add ac and your down 8 more lights for a five ton...that's a ten flip pretty quick... maxing the can(service) or learning the expensive way it wasn't enough...

If you upgraded to a 50 kva and bigger wires to your mast you could pull 50 kw minus well =46 - veg = 38 ac(four five tons) then you could do a twenty flip.... sealed

I would personally flip my veg as well .break the lights In half and set one timer to twelve twelve and the other to six six gives a nice light mover esque flip of 18 hrs... in a 24*48 I would build 2 8*12 rooms for veg at one end have a 8 foot by 24 foot hall way withres and electrical ect and split the remaining 30-32*24 into two bloom rooms... ten foot is plenty of height for DE fixtures and ac duct.

Equipment is 1000$/light minimum and that's dirt cheap do it yourself with a built structure.... hydro is 2000/light minimum and after 20 years In the industry and based on
Y own personal hardships and failures I would say never ever even remotely consider doing a hydro show on borrowed money..... if you don't have 12 months expenses banked and shit paid for your seriously rolling the dice going all in on hydro.....ask me how I know....

Plug it with soil or coco
And repaet for the win

Good luck, and I know I'm just another hick fuck on a forum telling you like I know... check my posts and my pics. I am not trying to mislead you...and feel freee to pm me, I will be helpful time permitting and am always open to pm's from anyone wanting some knowlage if you think I have it

Cheers

Little 32flip pic for ref
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=71559&pictureid=1702787