What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building a detached Shop/garage Grow 40 X 60? 55k Budget

Vero 29 gen 7's Sounds solid!

I'll have to gather more information. I'm quite interested in finding out how much it'll cost to make my room full LEDS.

take it a step further bro... how much greenhouse could you buy with 55 grand?

answer: like 10,000 square feet.

One day:laughing:. For now I need a sturdy foundation for my journey.

This has a lot of risk to it. Also, I have to make show I have patients that are in need of all these lbs or BHO. I'm basically starting from nothing. So not only do I need to have an A+++ garden, I also need to find patients.

redlaser

Veteran
I was pricing concrete last year and got bids of 9,500, 12,000., and 15,000 for 2,400 sq ft.

Depends on what kind of greenhouse you want, you can get the biggest bang for your buck with the Quonset type of Poly plastic covered greenhouse. For a different type, Check out this company on Instagram called nexusgreenhouse, they have metal sided greenhouses that only let in light from above. Could probably be replicated in wood but might not last forever.

Another reason to go with some kind of greenhouse is less electric use.
Maybe you don't pay a lot per kWh, but its still most of the cost to produce.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
For BHO, Gray Wolf is the master, and has DIY info for making massive rigs. SHOULD NOT BE DONE IN SEALED BUILDING!!!! His son Sky Highler, sells the equipment. Jump/injack is the expert on BHO disasters and safety info.

FYI, sugar trim is very potent and usually thrown out. I made cannabutter with it. 200 grams of bone dry sugarleaf to 8 ounces of butter or ghee. 1 full cookie made with it, and I was zig zag walking, had to go to bed, and was mild tripping. Half is very strong high, and long sleep, and 1/4 is good high. The trick used in the method is to add soy lecithin. Comes on quicker and 50% stronger.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287025

queequeg152

Veteran
who puts a slab in a greenhouse?

you just pour a stem wall at most. but you can use helical anchors with most of these poly tunnels if you need the uplift resistance. works wonderfully.

Another reason to go with some kind of greenhouse is less electric use.
Maybe you don't pay a lot per kWh, but its still most of the cost to produce.
I guess I could just buy some land and put up a greenhouse. But still would feel safer building a garage for now

It's like .08cents kwh :woohoo::woohoo:

For BHO, Gray Wolf is the master, and has DIY info for making massive rigs. SHOULD NOT BE DONE IN SEALED BUILDING!!!! His son Sky Highler, sells the equipment. Jump/injack is the expert on BHO disasters and safety info.

FYI, sugar trim is very potent and usually thrown out. I made cannabutter with it. 200 grams of bone dry sugarleaf to 8 ounces of butter or ghee. 1 full cookie made with it, and I was zig zag walking, had to go to bed, and was mild tripping. Half is very strong high, and long sleep, and 1/4 is good high. The trick used in the method is to add soy lecithin. Comes on quicker and 50% stronger.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287025

Yeah, I've done a bit of reading from them. Like my life story.... I have a lot to learn about closed loop systems.

Have you tried making cocoa butter. Could not taste the bud and man.... I had a long 2 days of sleeping/thinking I was about to die. haha

Soy lecithin. Haven't tried it with that yet.

you just pour a stem wall at most. but you can use helical anchors with most of these poly tunnels if you need the uplift resistance. works wonderfully.

Tempting... Very tempting

I might get around and make another estimated cost sheet today. But here is my project of the day.

This is the AC I'm looking at. http://www.ecomfort.com/LG-L3H60W18181800/p66697.html
Going to guess it'll cost $6000 if I order and have it installed.

Each Flower room would have a 24,000 btu wall mount
Veg room would have 18,000btu

Attachments

• Untitled drawing (10).jpg
    Untitled drawing (10).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I noticed this discussion regarding lights has moved in the direction of LEDs. Check out timbergrowlights dot com. You can buy lights or just cobs attached to heatsinks with wiring and you have the option of CXB3590, Vero 29 v2, and Citizen.

Best of luck on the build,

-Funk

Loc Dog

Veteran
I noticed this discussion regarding lights has moved in the direction of LEDs. Check out timbergrowlights dot com. You can buy lights or just cobs attached to heatsinks with wiring and you have the option of CXB3590, Vero 29 v2, and Citizen.

Best of luck on the build,

-Funk

Those are very reasonably priced, already made, and do not need to be shipped from Australia.

redlaser

Veteran

For a while I was considering hydronic heating with pex in concrete, now I've seen applications that have it in gravel and weed barrier.

Seems to be more efficient to have it in closer contact wth the root zone, plus you don't have to be heating all that concrete.

queequeg152

Veteran
For a while I was considering hydronic heating with pex in concrete, now I've seen applications that have it in gravel and weed barrier.

Seems to be more efficient to have it in closer contact wth the root zone, plus you don't have to be heating all that concrete.

hydronic heating is excellent inside houses... i cant think of a good reason to put on in a greenhouse other than sheer luxury.

dont get me wrong... if i had the cash id do something similar... but when you are trying to justify an investment, hydronic heating is way to expensive.

heating the slab necessitates insulating the slab which requires rigid foam insulation PE or XPS foam board, and perimeter insulation.

this sort of insulation is very very expensive...

a greenhouse has so much solar heat gain, that you just dont need the hydronic heating to keep the place warm. and if your greenhouse is big enough, and tall enough, it will not even need that much heating at night in the first place( thermal inertia/thermal mass of the air etc)

if you want to put plants in the ground, and not in containers, then its going to be easier to just bury heating cable or hot water lines in the middle of the rows, but the soil temp should stay well above 50 degrees during the daylight hours.

in other words... putting full slab hydronic heating inside a greenhouse is kinda like putting a 5 ton ac inside a shed, its just overkill.

queequeg152

Veteran
to clariify a bit...

soil conducts heat reasonably well. when you put heat into the soil, you need that insulation to contain it such that it does not leak out of the house. if you do not have insulation, the hydronic system will take hours to heat the slab AND the soil... and then you loose heat through the perimeter of the slab.
in a very cold climate the amount of heat lost is disastrous.
without any insulation, it means you have to pretty much run the heating system 24/7 because it takes so long to recover to your set temperature after you shut it off.

hydronic heating is really nice and really luxurious, but its not inherently more efficient in the first place.

its nice and luxurious because it gives you a strong perception of warmth when you are walking around even if the air is 72 or what ever... once people have hydronic heating, alot of them simply refuse to live without it because its such a nice feeling.

in reality though, the energy you save by just pumping a small amount of fluid, verses moving a very large amount of air and keeping it circulating is rather small... and mostly negated by the much much higher cost of insulating the slab agressivly, and buying the pumps, manifold, and zoning controls, valve actuators and the oxygen barrier/ aluminum barrier pex tubing.

hydronic is also super popular in non cooling climates. this allows folks to essentially go totally without duct work, using baseboard heating everywhere else the hydronic is not heating. you just need a very large and very efficient boiler and recirc. system.
again though, its very hard to justfity on a cost basis.

36' x 40' x 8' Garage

36' x 40' x 8' Garage

New Shopping list.

$6,000 LG Wall Mounted 3-Zone System - 60,000 BTU

$12,000/$24,000 LEDs I'll add leds to Flower room B after first harvest

$2,000 To add new Power/ 200 amp service?

$2,760.00 2 Santa Fe Advance 2 Dehumidifiers. Don't know what one to get

$810 2 Sentinel GPS ICG-30 CO2 Generator - One for each Flower room?

$2,000 To add a big propane tank outside of garage

$1,000 Clones. But kinda tempted to get seeds and actually have a clue what I have. They closed all the dispensaries here in Washington :(
$1,000 Nutrients?

$760 2 Sentinel GPS CPPM-4i Fuzzy Logic CO2 Controller

$600 Light controllers?

$500 Oscillating Fans Air King 9018 Commercial

$1,500 For other stuff

Total $31,000

That would leave me with about $50,000 to build the garage. I highly think I'll be able to come in below budget on that.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I am going to break loose, on my ghetto budget, and buy 12 or 24 from Cutter or Timber growlights soon, of Vero 27's.

You need to plan your grow areas, based on variety/feed. Problem with RDWC, is all pants on same reservoir get same feed.

You will need a lumen/LUX meter, and do small scale for test. I will have them before you. If you want me to do lumen/separation/distance to plant/temperature tests, can do before I mount.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Lumens,lux, foot-candles all measure light visible to the naked eye, and on pretty much the same scale. Essentially worthless in a botany context.

Get a cheap PAR meter, it measures plant active response in mmol.

Sunlight is around 2100mmol at the ground, 30 inches off a good DE 1000w bulb should be 1100 to 1500mmol.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Lumens,lux, foot-candles all measure light visible to the naked eye, and on pretty much the same scale. Essentially worthless in a botany context.

Get a cheap PAR meter, it measures plant active response in mmol.

Sunlight is around 2100mmol at the ground, 30 inches off a good DE 1000w bulb should be 1100 to 1500mmol.

So a lux meter would be no good at determining light separation?? I already have the lumen meter. A cheap par meter is about $300.00 from what I have seen.