What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building a detached Shop/garage Grow 40 X 60? 55k Budget

Oh and I see you wanted to do a sealed room with CO2. I would advise against it. The amount of AC you'd need to actually cool 48 flowering lights, plus 12 veg lights (use 1k DEs, do the even think of using anything else) is 300,000 BTU. That's 25 tons of cooling, or 5 x 5 ton units. I believe each one would need its own 80a 240v circuit, and draws around 60a each. That's 300 amps pull just for cooling, and your power system would have to allow that, plus the draw of all the lights fans, pumps, reservoir heaters, etc. I would figure with AC you'd be pulling in the neighborhood of 620 to 650 amps @240vac with everything. Probably not doable on residential circuits. If you can though, the cost of the power at .11 per kWh puts you at about $6800 per month in power, give or take a grand. You won't make a nickel for the first 3 months, and you'll need enough nutes and cash to pay your workers (and trimmers) for the first run.

Oh and I saw you're on a well. You will need a much bigger well pump, water softeners, several large RO filters, booster pumps, float valves and tons of tubing. I'd plan on 20k for just the water system. A new well pump in the 2hp range installed will be 4 or 5 k by itself.

What about instead of 48 total flower lights I had 24 total. Actually what would you suggest?

I'm not sure if I'll need a bigger pump for the well. I'll go down and check it out today.

I kinda thought once I needed to switch out the reservoir I'd just have an extra one that I'd prefilled before switching water. If I did a ebb & Flow

I may have thought about this the wrong way.

So lets see if this is the right way. :p

This is all wattage just for lights

2 Flower rooms of 12,000 watts each
1 Veg Room of 6,000 watts
1 clone Room 1,000 watts?

Wattage est for other rooms
1 Drying room 1000 watts for dehumidifier and fans?
1 Room for Trimming 500 watts?

Welcome back everyone! This is the progress I have made:

None. :p

Haha....

As it stands

2 Flower rooms
Flower room A is 24' x 32'
Flower Room B is 20' x 30'

1 Veg Room That is yet to be officially measured but my guess is 24' x 30' with 14 foot ceilings.

Hopefully this is a bit more realistic. I have rooms in the house that I don't mind using as dry and trimming rooms.

But I still need to design a space for making BHO safely

Look at this beauty :woohoo:

Attachments

• Untitled drawing (2).jpg
    Untitled drawing (2).jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 8

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it will be cheaper to build a 9 foot wall ... and then order vaulted trusses

it will be cheaper to build a 9 foot wall ... and then order vaulted trusses

Shoot.... Now I'm thinking about getting dormers. But I better not.

I honestly should just keep it a 9 foot ceiling. As much as it would be nice to have it vaulted.

But I might bite the bullet and add a dormer. I'm just not sure how much that would adjust budget.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you build 9 foot walls sheer and studs come in that size which will make things cheaper ... you can order trusses with a vaulted ceiling for prolly cheaper then you can stack it for .... pretty sure that would be your cheapest options to get a building with high ceilings

if you build 9 foot walls sheer and studs come in that size which will make things cheaper ... you can order trusses with a vaulted ceiling for prolly cheaper then you can stack it for .... pretty sure that would be your cheapest options to get a building with high ceilings

I like the thought of having the walls 9ft.

But instead of a vaulted ceiling. I would like to make it a 2nd story :trampoline:

Sooooooooo... Y'all are probably noticing a pattern....That I keep changing my mind.

But with that said...Let's see what I have going on today :p

BASEMENT!!! Yes a freaking basement. It'll help cut down on the AC and this is the only chance I'll really have to put in a basement on that side of the house.

Basement would be 20' x 30' Grow Flower
1st Floor would be 20' x 30' Grow Flower
2nd Floor would be 20' x 30' I would perhaps use the 2nd Floor as a living area. and convert 3 rooms in my house for VEG, Mother/clone room, and a dry room

What do you all think about that?

Also, on the 2nd story level. My house already has vaulted ceilings and would be easy at one point to continue the 2nd across the whole house at some point.

Attachments

• Untitled drawing (4).jpg
    Untitled drawing (4).jpg
    10 KB · Views: 9

queequeg152

Veteran
BASEMENT!!! Yes a freaking basement. It'll help cut down on the AC and this is the only chance I'll really have to put in a basement on that side of the house.

no it wont.

all a basement will do is cut down on your external heat gain, and marginally increase your external heat loss in a heating dominated climate.

problem is all grow rooms have absolutly massive internal heat loads compared to their external heat gains.

in other words, the amount of heat gain your would be avoiding would be so small that it would not matter enough to justify the vastly increased cost of excavating a basement.

you probably need to get with a builder at some point. it may not even be possible/ feasable to put down a basement attached to your house.

if you have a slab on grade... this would require underminning your slab and retrofitting in a stem wall to support the slabs bond beam, and take that load down your basement wall and into the footings.

i worked on a structural retrofit of this old shitty house on a stacked stone stem wall foundation... it was a complete shit fest.

they ended up just basically building two houses seperated by depth of the these old stacked stone walls. the new foundation walls were poured immediatly ajacent, and a small slab was poured over both foundation walls w/ a big movement joint seperating them.

I kinda figured a basement would be a bit much. But I'm kinda looking at future use and resell value if I choose to move.

The foundation for the house are Pier and beam. Now looking at it. I have two beams that are outside that are connected to the roof That extend about 3 feet away from the end wall and about 14 feet apart for each other.

^ I should right math questions as a profession :D
But since I kinda have a couple designs I need to see what the architect thinks along with the building department.

Good news everyone!

So after much muuuuuch thinking and many many drafts.

The whole building is going to be..

20' x 60' x 10 or 12 foot ceiling 1200sqft

2 Flower rooms 9000 watts each
Both 17' x 20' With 10' or maybe 12 foot ceilings

The growing area within the room is 12' x 15'

1. Veg room
14' x 20'
Growing area within is 10' x 15'

Also, One room That I'll be using as my car garage and well be the entrance into the grow rooms.
Garage room is going to be 12' x 20'

Whatcha all think?

Might just run one flower room for the first round just so I don't have to invest in a ton of clones.

MedResearcher

Veteran
About 9 years ago built a 60x40 stick built 10' ceilings, insulated, drywalled, fire tapped, white primer, 200 amp subpanel, tons of gfci's and some 50 amp plugs. Snuck a water line in, and snuck a toilet drain in past the inspector (wasnt in the plans).

Used a contractor, was just around 80k total. I didn't get him to sneak any floor drains in beyond the toilet one. I wish I would have pressed him harder. Afaik drains are a bit frowned upon for a couple reasons. People can dump chemicals down them so most counties don't like the idea, also its debatable that the drain could wash out the foundation over time.

The idea of drains is great though, maybe you could put a pipe ensuring the water gets far enough below the foundation not to erode anything. Can just cap the pipe and pour on top of it, then chip the concrete off once the inspector leaves. Also you should check out RB26s thread. Just enter RB26 into the thread title search. He makes these really nice sealed rooms, with sloped floors that drain out the wall. Maybe not needed with hydro, but its a good read if your doing a build. Hes very impressive.

I like my shop, but I do have second thoughts that it might have been better to go with metal.

I use some of the shop as a garage, then some for drying and processing. It is set up with ACs for 2x 6kw gavita rooms, with 2 veg rooms. Just the Acs for that size were around 13k iirc, than 3k in Dehus.

Great plan, sounds exciting. Got to agree with a couple others that your budget is going to be to tight. Build a nice shop, a good clean working room, then expand maybe.

Gl and good plan,

Mr^^

Also, if your in a legal state that is permitting and that is the long term plan. I suggest getting everything 100% to code, including the energy calcs for the ACs, extra walls, etc.. I snuck my ACs past the inspector, but now that I need to comply with the county and invite them inside... I have to get the ACs permitted, and fix a bunch of random shit I have done over the years ><

RB26s Sure knows what hes doing! Lot's of good information I need to read.

That's a huge shop/grow area!

Not sure about what to do about the drain situation. But I certainly would like to have everything 100% to code.

I'm going to be doing the majority of the building myself and some help from a couple friends in the Spring.

My estimates DIY Garage Grow: $90,000 Limit

$60,000 To build the whole garage with a total of 4 rooms 1 veg 2 Flower, and one area to park the car. I'm thinking $50sqft Sounds reasonable. For the Pacific North West. But who knows. I'd of course love to come under budget.

$5000-$10,000 9 or 18 Gavitas and bulbs/ I might just start with half depending if I come under budget for the Garage build

$2,000 To add new Power

$810 2 Sentinel GPS ICG-30 CO2 Generator - One for each Flower room?

$760 2 Sentinel GPS CPPM-4i Fuzzy Logic CO2 Controller

$2,000 To add a big propane tank outside of garage

Total $70,570 so far :shucks::shucks:

Still need to price out,

$7,000?? Terppextractor Would love to just turn the havest into BHO. But I'll be putting this as the last thing to get...and of course depends on how I'm doing on budget.

AC Units Needs to be able to cool 9000 watts in lights plus co2 burner

Dehumidifiers

Fans

Carbon Filters?

Water pumps for RDWC

Cost to Build each bucket DWC

Water Chiller

RO System

Nutrients

Clones

Light controllers

Anything I'm forgetting?

Any input is always appreciated!

Side note. It sure would be nice to be able to build the garage for $40sqft $48,000. Now that would make like so much easier. But lets not expect that.

Anyways...Here is my art project of the day

Attachments

• Untitled drawing (5).jpg
    Untitled drawing (5).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 8

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Thanks! Just added that to my bookmarks. Great thread!!

How many buckets are you going to be running?

I am small grower. Will be 8 in each of 2, 4 X 8 tents. You could set up separate groups per variety, since you will be feeding each differently, I assume. Nice thing with that is you monitor the reservoir. If PPM goes down, feed stronger, if it goes up, feed weaker. If you decide to go that route, PM me, and will give you some tips, like use black buckets, which home depot now carries.

I am small grower. Will be 8 in each of 2, 4 X 8 tents. You could set up separate groups per variety, since you will be feeding each differently, I assume. Nice thing with that is you monitor the reservoir. If PPM goes down, feed stronger, if it goes up, feed weaker. If you decide to go that route, PM me, and will give you some tips, like use black buckets, which home depot now carries.

Right on! I should get to building the buckets now just so I can put a check on my to do list.