What's new

Breeding for beginners

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
smokinsiggy said:
Been playing with my green thumbs for decades and never had this happen before but like the saying goes first time for anything . Was growing some seed start plants with female clones and had 2 that were indicating hermaphrodite plants after 5 1/2 weeks flower. Was using my technique of 10/14 light change to induce finishing as per say and overnight they produced sacks and one or two were open when noticed the follow light cycle ON. Should have known better than to have them in the same environment but now I have a hybrid to play with consisting of Female "Kush X Blueberry" and Hermied "Sativa X Shiskaberry . Here is my confusion , will the females with the big dark round seeds be dominant female and male or will they be hermaphrodite?

Well that just it. ITs a toss up. You might have a bunch of Female seeds, or a bunch of hermy seeds, Or a mixed bunch. IT depends if the hermie gene is dominate they could all be worthless. Only was to tell is run a small batch and flower and see if any hermie. Then if they dont u know your set.

smokinsiggy

Thanks for the feedback dudes. Was kinda expecting a toss up and will give a shot at weeding out the girls . Should be a decent strain if one can get it going . The Kush x blueberry puts me to sleep with no pain whatsoever.

G

early female pre-flower = early finish?

early female pre-flower = early finish?

hi all ... may i beg the indulgence for help with this question?

in a large population grown from seed will the earliest seedling to display female pre-flowers turn into the plant that finishes the earliest?

is this the trait to look for when selecting for the quickest plants?

thanks & peace from star crash

devilgoob

Veteran
hell na, thats just the one to show sex. look for the best buds...any amount of time it takes to finish a plant is worth the extra weight and potency

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
star crash said:
hi all ... may i beg the indulgence for help with this question?

in a large population grown from seed will the earliest seedling to display female pre-flowers turn into the plant that finishes the earliest?

is this the trait to look for when selecting for the quickest plants?

thanks & peace from star crash

I would tend to say yes. But I have never done a side by side comparison. Usually I feel that when I plant shows fem-preflowers first its saying im an adult. But does that mean it will flower fast? not really! IF the plant was vigorous and large and bushy with less space between nodes means it will usually finish first. It depends if there is any sativa in the genes. As sativas will flower for ever if you let them. YOu probably could pick a bud a day and let it flower for a year. Pure Power Plant is sure like that.

T

TheOneWill

How do I collect pollen from a male plant without seeding my crop. I got 2 cabinets.
One for veg and one for flower. But I got my moms in the second cab which I don't know if there male or female yet.
So what I plan on doing is taking clones an numbering them. So I will know if the clone is male or female.
But I have two breeds I wanna cross. But don't wanna seed all my other plants.
So when should I collect pollen from the male plant before it starts to spread threw out my cab an messes up the rest of my crop?
The 2 strains I'm crossing is
Jacks Poison with Sweet Tooth.
I don't know what one I'm gonna use the dad for yet I will find out.
(I will probley put pollen on one of the moms to get seeds.

T

TheOneWill

The only problem is the male is an auto flower. An the other plant isn't. (Jack's Poison is the male so far that is auto flower)
the lineage of Jacks Poison = Jack Herer x Durban Poison
So would the dominate male change the the genies or traits of the seeds it would produce?
Ok I got Jack's Poison and I wanna cross it with Sweet Tooth.
What if I took the Sweet Tooths pollen and put pollen on the Jack's poison. Would some seeds turn out auto flower or all wouldn't turn out auto flower or all would?
Would it matter what one I use to pollenate the female to make it turn out to not be an auto flowering plant?

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Help....I have Golden Skusk (aka Pot Of Gold) male that I wish to use in making seed with a local cross Superskunk x NL#5 that is phenominal and John Lee's SDOG.

They are the same age...should I just put the male in the flower cab and let nature take its course or is there a better way leaving most of the buds unseeded.

How does one collect pollen and when?

How does one properly apply the pollen and when?

How much pollen to apply?

How to store polen till needed?

They have been in flower for 5 days now.

What should I do?

minds_I

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
sorry I steped out I replyed the other day and lost the whole page when I submitted it so I was like screw writing that all again so anyways Im back.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
TheOneWill said:
The only problem is the male is an auto flower. An the other plant isn't. (Jack's Poison is the male so far that is auto flower)
the lineage of Jacks Poison = Jack Herer x Durban Poison
So would the dominate male change the the genies or traits of the seeds it would produce?
Ok I got Jack's Poison and I wanna cross it with Sweet Tooth.
What if I took the Sweet Tooths pollen and put pollen on the Jack's poison. Would some seeds turn out auto flower or all wouldn't turn out auto flower or all would?
Would it matter what one I use to pollenate the female to make it turn out to not be an auto flowering plant?
Using both a male and female make small branch's seed sites. Just to be safe. First try the female sweet tooth with male JP and that should have 50/50 seeds if that auto flower gene isn't dominate.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
minds_I said:
Hello all,

Help....I have Golden Skusk (aka Pot Of Gold) male that I wish to use in making seed with a local cross Superskunk x NL#5 that is phenominal and John Lee's SDOG.

They are the same age...should I just put the male in the flower cab and let nature take its course or is there a better way leaving most of the buds unseeded.

How does one collect pollen and when?

How does one properly apply the pollen and when?

How much pollen to apply?

How to store pollen till needed?

They have been in flower for 5 days now.

What should I do?

minds_I
  • With a small zip lock bag. Snip off the yellow male pollen pods. When they release the pollen they open like an umbrella takes males about 5-15 days to be in full flower.
  • I like to use a Q-tip or a paint brush. I do it when theres lots of white hairs and they should be all white when there prime for pollenation
  • Just dip tool into bag and touch it to the hairs on selected spots for controled seeding.
  • Pollen needs to be in air tight container in dark untill ready for use.
  • IF you want take top of plant spray with water to keep pollen from sticking. Cover with plastic bag and the hit the lower part of plant with pollen and shake plant gently and spray down room to kill all remaining pollen. dont spray it where u want seeds. then remove bag and your set.

Dr. Bloom

Thanks for the info GlassPackedBowl,

I'm no breeder myself, but i'm learning as much as I can, both from classes, and from independent research. Threads like this are helpful to me and the community, so i say thank you, and keep it up. One thing that I have been interested in is finding a list of traits that tend to be dominant, and traits that tend to be recessive within MJ plants. For example, is purple coloring dominant, recessive, or does it vary widely based on strain? Just an example, but i'm wondering if any breeders have made notes on this kind of this that they would be willing to share. It would help out an aspiring breeder like myself, who does not really have the space to test these things myself at atm.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Glasspackedbowl, I have an extra female POG that I want to make f1's? out of. The problem lies in the room in my grow cab. Do I need to provide the seed plant the same light intensity as normally would be for female plants?

I have an alternate cab for growing just moms or seedlings or seed plants but the lighting is lower intensity (156w 6400K cfl's). I presume it would take longer for the seed to ripen.

Thansk for the pollenating advice.

At this typing the single male is alone in a seperate cab with filtered exhaust. I am seeing the formation of many pollen sacs.

How long after switching to 12/12 should I see pollen begin to drop?

Thanks again for the advice,

minds_I

Omega Rasta

Interesting enough a lot of gardeners breed and want to name their experiment that they've worked on for garden after garden.

Without the big big numbers and quantities of plants used in one garden at a time; I've moved on from year to year with 2 strains from some great seedbanks. Using about 12 to 15 plants at a time seeking a good pheno of a White Rhino x White Widow cross. Using pollen is fun, making f2s, f3s, f4s, f5s etc etc....

The White Rhino comes from a Nirvana order back in early 2003
The White Widow comes from Dutch Passion approximately the same time.

I've used these strains over and over to try and make seeds mainly but then I discovered the buds on flowered out females from seeds crossed and some pollenated clones getting a bit more sticky but yielding the same.

I cloned a few WR males recently to keep the pollen going from a strong thick stemmed male. Used it over with a few cloned White Widow femmes again and again....even the beans seem to be getting a bit darker and striped.

Well to not confuse myself further....the clones seemed to get stronger in trichome production but the yield doesn't really pack on until the final couple weeks of flowering. The seeds produced are very healthy after all these years of pollenating and growing out those seeds too.

What I have achieved is no way monumental or ground breaking...I'm just happy for myself reaching this part of my growing experience.....but my question is.....

Has there been a White Rhino x White Widow cross named before that some Breeder is or has worked on ??
I'd like to compare a grow or two if I could.

I'd choose to call my strain "White Linen" and my friends I share with just wonder where it comes from and why they can't find it.... :muahaha:

Bless up
Omega Rasta

T

TheOneWill

Why is it so hard to collect pollen? I got 2 stems from males and trying to let them drop pollen on a sheet of paper and it just won't work. Should I just stick a female and a male in a cab and just let them mate?

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
take the female in the separate room with male wait till male if ready and put small fan in room. Close door seal ur self inside. Gently flick the main stem of the male close to ground level. This will make him drop all pollen thats ready. With the fan the female hairs will snatch that pollen right out of the air. Then turn off fan gently shake female to remove any excess pollen. Spray ur clothes, skin, walls, floor and carefully the surface soil trying to to wet the plant. Remember water kills pollen. One plant can make 1000's of seeds. so one batch will do you very nice in seed stock with one plant only used to make seeds.

T

TheOneWill

When is a good time to sex the female? I got a female thats like 3 weeks into flower is it to early to sex her?