What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bobblehead overtakes

real ting

Question for ya bobblehead, or any of you bonsai hero guys, are you cutting off all your big leafs with the bonsai heros as well as the small ones? I'm seriously considering a set, or possibly one of these
http://youtu.be/GWQiSb1RslM

I gotta do something though, I just hate long hand trimming sessions!

bobblehead

Veteran
Better be building something epic bro. Ya havn't heard much from ole D lately, but I've been busy getting fired and revamping the room with new toys :biggrin:. Bout to go on "autobabyshitpoppinmadbeans" mode :nanana:.

Shiiit... By the time you finish w/e it is you're working on I'll have 2 runs under my belt in my new grow facility. It will make grown men envious, and earn the respect of other growers. The environment is perfect, 80F 70% rh. Got the second table built today. 1 more to go. I had to put my dehuey socket on a DPDT relay, and control the relay with the dehumidistat. I've already fried 2 15A digital controllers with my 200pt beasts.

Question for ya bobblehead, or any of you bonsai hero guys, are you cutting off all your big leafs with the bonsai heros as well as the small ones? I'm seriously considering a set, or possibly one of these

I trim everything off with the heroes. Then I go back over the buds with micro-tip scissors to clean up anything I missed or couldn't get close enough. This might not be necessary in your market, mine is highly competitive.

real ting

I trim everything off with the heroes. Then I go back over the buds with micro-tip scissors to clean up anything I missed or couldn't get close enough. This might not be necessary in your market, mine is highly competitive.

Thanks man!

Can't wait to see a room full of pro tables. Sounds like your environment will be fully dialed, I'm jealous :biggrin:

Mister_D

Veteran
Shiiit... By the time you finish w/e it is you're working on I'll have 2 runs under my belt in my new grow facility. It will make grown men envious, and earn the respect of other growers. The environment is perfect, 80F 70% rh. Got the second table built today. 1 more to go. I had to put my dehuey socket on a DPDT relay, and control the relay with the dehumidistat. I've already fried 2 15A digital controllers with my 200pt beasts.

Hehe it's already nearly finished, just havn't had time to share :biggrin:. Look forward to seeing what type of madness you've invented now too though *hint* *hint* :biggrin:.

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran
No pictures makes for great, great, great big shit talk. Just saying.

:laughing: I think most here know me well enough to be sure i'm not full of shit when I say big things are a foot :biggrin:........ but since you're being Debbie doubter......... a lil preview

Wonder what these might be used for hmmmmmmm........

picture.php

Mister_D

Veteran
Looks like automatic pH dosers... How much did those set you back? Gonna start a new thread?

Correct you are my man. Two PH controllers/monitors and two 3 GPD peristaltic chemical metering pumps. Ran me about 600 bucks with shipping for both setups. Could have gotten cheaper pumps, but you know how I am with quality. Yes a new thread is forthcoming :biggrin:. I'll try and make it soon so I can stop mudding up your thread with my dribble :moon:. Stole a few more ideas from you also, but I can't go spoiling the whole surprise :biggrin:

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran

I remove all fans with no resin on the stems before putting them on the trim pile for the Heroes. Since I process my trim, I would rather not pick out the garbage at that time, or take up drying rack space.

Big John

Anyone seen those new bonsai heros with the LEDs that just popped up on their site? They look sweet, and it looks like they dropped the price for the two scissor kit.

Let's just say I take my "hobby" a lil more seriously than most :biggrin:. Those pumps will do something like 23 ft of head, plus they're self priming :muahaha:
That's just dope, for growing dope :biggrin:

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
ok so I finally finished and I think I've got more questions then answers haha...

I understand you switched to horizontal to deal with plant numbers and staying legal... totally understandable...

how would you deal with low plant numbers if you were still doing vert? I like vert due to less heat because of the removal of the reflector and lest upfront cost due to not purchasing a reflector... BUT unless you have a big space like you had 8x8x8 and ability to run multiple's HPS stacked... it seems it is hard to get good numbers and you still never managed to pull the numbers you expected with the vert racks anyway... but we all know theory is not the same as reality...

anyway my setup is looking like 600w dimmable... with 6" vortex and scrubber... how would you maximize this setup? regardless of vert, horizontal, whatever...

I will be running Organic Soil, probably hand watering to begin with... I like the idea of the Beds, but will prob be using grow bags at first...

I can't quite remember because it took me atleast a week to read this whole thread but at any point did you do a single bare bulb run and how did it compare to your horizontal runs? I know you usually ran more then one 600 horizontally but just on average... for example 3 600's yielded x... just tell me x divided by 3...

be sure to show us all the new thread when the time comes!

So awesome that you accomplished what you wanted! got two houses paid for and I assume most of your tuition paid off all from the lake house and now you are done with the paranoia and extra work load!

that's what I call success...

When you get a chance PM me, I could use some advice on education and schooling...

bobblehead

Veteran
ok so I finally finished and I think I've got more questions then answers haha...

I understand you switched to horizontal to deal with plant numbers and staying legal... totally understandable...

how would you deal with low plant numbers if you were still doing vert? I like vert due to less heat because of the removal of the reflector and lest upfront cost due to not purchasing a reflector... BUT unless you have a big space like you had 8x8x8 and ability to run multiple's HPS stacked... it seems it is hard to get good numbers and you still never managed to pull the numbers you expected with the vert racks anyway... but we all know theory is not the same as reality...

anyway my setup is looking like 600w dimmable... with 6" vortex and scrubber... how would you maximize this setup? regardless of vert, horizontal, whatever...

I will be running Organic Soil, probably hand watering to begin with... I like the idea of the Beds, but will prob be using grow bags at first...

I can't quite remember because it took me atleast a week to read this whole thread but at any point did you do a single bare bulb run and how did it compare to your horizontal runs? I know you usually ran more then one 600 horizontally but just on average... for example 3 600's yielded x... just tell me x divided by 3...

be sure to show us all the new thread when the time comes!

So awesome that you accomplished what you wanted! got two houses paid for and I assume most of your tuition paid off all from the lake house and now you are done with the paranoia and extra work load!

that's what I call success...

When you get a chance PM me, I could use some advice on education and schooling...

:) Exactly, more questions than answers.

The decision to go mostly horizontal really doesn't have much to do with the plant count. I could have ran vertical trees. If I was to do this legal and vertical, I would double stack my 600's and put 4 plants around each stack. The plants need to be opened up and spread out. Horizontal is just easier imo. The buds naturally want to grow at the top of the plant. IMO, its a lot easier to spread the light out evenly to as many tops as possible with a reflector. Anything down below is inferior and can go. There's plenty of vert vs. horiz threads... Read them if you want the pros and cons. I don't want to start a debate here, these are just my opinions.

Back to ease of use... I'm not going to burn anything on a glowing hot orb... I don't have to crawl on my hands and knees to manage the plants... Beds make for one large rhizosphere, which imo has benefits over individual pots. My beds are all on casters now, they move around real easy.

If you're looking to air-cool your space, cool tubes don't hold any heat seeing how they're made of 100% glass. I have a few in use now and I like them just fine. They do get dirty but just don't be lazy, and maybe put a filter over the incoming air. Then there's reflectors, like the adjustawing or hydrofarm pro reflector, made mostly of aluminum. Aluminum is a poor conductor, and doesn't really hold on to much heat. You can touch them with the lamps burning and it doesn't stay too hot. Hoods on the other hand have a bunch of other metal and they do retain some heat... but I'm surprised at how effective air-cooled hoods can be at keeping the heat down. They really do work well. I would buy the $60 cool tube though if you want to air-cool. I have a mini-split a/c now, so it doesn't matter if I use a hood, reflector, bare-bulb... It all gets cooled the same.

Fabric pots are way better than grow bags... fyi. Beds > fabric pots.

I've grown with a single 600w lamp, I prefer 2 600's stacked. I don't have an average yield, b/c so far I've been all over the map. I've pulled down .5-2lbs per 1200w many times. I'll be doing things more consistently now.

You're greatly mistaken about the level of my success. My lake house is far from paid for. My second house is 1/2 paid. The lake house has allowed for me to pay for 1 year of graduate school, and I'm making payments on my loans, they're also far from paid. I made the money I needed to upgrade my new house and make it growable. I live comfortably, but money is tight right now. I have just enough money to get by until the next crop. I still work a part-time job. Eventually I will pay off the lake house, and when I sell that property, that money will go toward my loans. I see the lake house as a sort of escrow account. I know in the end that monthly payment is going to eliminate the debt I'm carrying.

If you have questions about school you should PM me with your questions, or post them here. School is a very broad subject.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran

The decision to go mostly horizontal really doesn't have much to do with the plant count. I could have ran vertical trees. If I was to do this legal and vertical, I would double stack my 600's and put 4 plants around each stack. The plants need to be opened up and spread out. Horizontal is just easier imo. The buds naturally want to grow at the top of the plant. IMO, its a lot easier to spread the light out evenly to as many tops as possible with a reflector. Anything down below is inferior and can go. There's plenty of vert vs. horiz threads... Read them if you want the pros and cons. I don't want to start a debate here, these are just my opinions.

Back to ease of use... I'm not going to burn anything on a glowing hot orb... I don't have to crawl on my hands and knees to manage the plants... Beds make for one large rhizosphere, which imo has benefits over individual pots. My beds are all on casters now, they move around real easy.

If you're looking to air-cool your space, cool tubes don't hold any heat seeing how they're made of 100% glass. I have a few in use now and I like them just fine. They do get dirty but just don't be lazy, and maybe put a filter over the incoming air. Then there's reflectors, like the adjustawing or hydrofarm pro reflector, made mostly of aluminum. Aluminum is a poor conductor, and doesn't really hold on to much heat. You can touch them with the lamps burning and it doesn't stay too hot. Hoods on the other hand have a bunch of other metal and they do retain some heat... but I'm surprised at how effective air-cooled hoods can be at keeping the heat down. They really do work well. I would buy the $60 cool tube though if you want to air-cool. I have a mini-split a/c now, so it doesn't matter if I use a hood, reflector, bare-bulb... It all gets cooled the same.

I've grown with a single 600w lamp, I prefer 2 600's stacked. I don't have an average yield, b/c so far I've been all over the map. I've pulled down .5-2lbs per 1200w many times. I'll be doing things more consistently now.

You're greatly mistaken about the level of my success. My lake house is far from paid for. My second house is 1/2 paid. The lake house has allowed for me to pay for 1 year of graduate school, and I'm making payments on my loans, they're also far from paid. I made the money I needed to upgrade my new house and make it growable. I live comfortably, but money is tight right now. I have just enough money to get by until the next crop. I still work a part-time job. Eventually I will pay off the lake house, and when I sell that property, that money will go toward my loans. I see the lake house as a sort of escrow account. I know in the end that monthly payment is going to eliminate the debt I'm carrying.

If you have questions about school you should PM me with your questions, or post them here. School is a very broad subject.

I agree with what you are saying about they naturally want to grow "tops"...

damn kinda discouraging to get all ready to go vert and now I am having second thoughts but I think I have an idea... I can try vert out with my tiny little 150w HPS and as for the upgrade I will buy some sort of hood/reflector so I can try horizontal and if I don't like it, I can always ditch the reflector...

I agree beds are the ultimate and fabric pots are better then grow bags... I will reconsider that decision as well...

General consensus seems to be that 2-600w's stacked is better than 1. Who would have thought? haha, IF YOU HAD TO... run a single 600w how would you do it?

sorry about jumping the gun on your success but think of it this way... you are prob one of few, if not the only person in your graduating class who owns two homes and still stayed on track of your regular life...

that is still success to me bro...

Mister_D

Veteran
I agree with what you are saying about they naturally want to grow "tops"...

damn kinda discouraging to get all ready to go vert and now I am having second thoughts but I think I have an idea... I can try vert out with my tiny little 150w HPS and as for the upgrade I will buy some sort of hood/reflector so I can try horizontal and if I don't like it, I can always ditch the reflector...

I agree beds are the ultimate and fabric pots are better then grow bags... I will reconsider that decision as well...

General consensus seems to be that 2-600w's stacked is better than 1. Who would have thought? haha, IF YOU HAD TO... run a single 600w how would you do it?

sorry about jumping the gun on your success but think of it this way... you are prob one of few, if not the only person in your graduating class who owns two homes and still stayed on track of your regular life...

that is still success to me bro...

I know you're asking bobble for advice here, but i'm going to make a suggestion anyway :biggrin:. Read the satori f2 grow in my sig. I was using a single 600 in what I consider the most efficient setup for a single bulb (vert donut w/ trees). That grow space was never even close to dialed, but the principals are all the same for what you want to do.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
I know you're asking bobble for advice here, but i'm going to make a suggestion anyway :biggrin:. Read the satori f2 grow in my sig. I was using a single 600 in what I consider the most efficient setup for a single bulb (vert donut w/ trees). That grow space was never even close to dialed, but the principals are all the same for what you want to do.

I welcome suggestions from ALL Vert-Ville heads.. not just bobble... just happened to be his thread was one of the most popular so i chose his thread to read through first...

thanks I am going to check it out now!

Maina

Veteran

I like this guy hard working thinker :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts