What's new

Blumat auto watering

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
Now I get it. Rez on the floor, fed to a pump that is set to ten PSI. This may sound stupid, but what is the accumulator? What function does it serve, etc. thanks.

To be honest I have been looking for an alternative to the raised 5 gallon Rez, this looks pretty simple.

Peace

RBDF

The pump puts out 35psi, the accumulator stores the nute mix at 35psi so the pump does not need to run all time, it also takes the bounce off the pump, the regulator drops the pressure to 15psi (was 10 but Sunny set me straight).

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Thought I would share my blumat pump setup, I don’t have room for a raised reservoir so I put this together, a shurflo demand pump feeding an accumulator and a watts regulator set to 10 psi to feed the blumats, the pump is a 12 volt so I got a power supply off Amazon. Total cost was about 150 US with shipping.

Right now it is feeding 5 Maxi’s, I may switch to 10 regulars, will see.

Now I get it. Rez on the floor, fed to a pump that is set to ten PSI. This may sound stupid, but what is the accumulator? What function does it serve, etc. thanks.

To be honest I have been looking for an alternative to the raised 5 gallon Rez, this looks pretty simple.

Peace

RBDF

I'm guessing this works the same way a pressure tank / pump set-up for well water works?

Good news is, after about a ~one week dial in, I only check my garden ~once a week! I know, sounds lazy, but my garden is a pain in the ass to access. Plus, makes the time go quicker. Pressure reducer kicks ass!

I'm guessing this works the same way a pressure tank / pump set-up for well water works?

Good news is, after about a ~one week dial in, I only check my garden ~once a week! I know, sounds lazy, but my garden is a pain in the ass to access. Plus, makes the time go quicker. Pressure reducer kicks ass!

exactly

That's very cool

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Thought I would share my blumat pump setup, I don’t have room for a raised reservoir so I put this together, a shurflo demand pump feeding an accumulator and a watts regulator set to 10 psi to feed the blumats, the pump is a 12 volt so I got a power supply off Amazon. Total cost was about 150 US with shipping.

Right now it is feeding 5 Maxi’s, I may switch to 10 regulars, will see.

I thought of doing this a while back.(have had well water all my life, and have had to deal with the well breakdowns from time to time, so I have a good working knowledge of these systems) I did not know mini tanks existed, and did not think anyone would want to bother setting up a full size well tank. Just seemed impractical. But ,obviously, you have found a way. Awesome! I have GREAT confidence this will work "well" for you.

Only concern would be, not the diaphragms, but the tank itself. Is it lined, or bare metal. Just wondering, as the Ph might fuck with bare metal. As far as I know, the tanks essentially just have a synthetic rubber balloon inside which pushes the water out?

The body of the accumulator is nylon, only metal is in the gauge base, and yes a diaphragm with pressurized air on one side and the fluid on the other.

I put 35 psi on the diaphragm it comes set at 20.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
now, i may be simply ignorant, but do you use anything type/size of rez you want?

how do you hook up the dripline to a bucket?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
now, i may be simply ignorant, but do you use anything type/size of rez you want?

I used a scratched 125-gallon aquarium tank I found (Craigslist) for chump change.

A commercial airstone (7" x 1.5") with a 20 gpm air pump and never looked back. That amount of air seems to prevent any unwanted biology or I was just lucky.

Probably lucky......

CC

G

greenmatter

lots of different rez set ups in this thread. if it holds water you can use it.

blumat makes bulkhead fittings for their line size or you can go with the 1/2" line and get your fittings at the grow store. you will need to do an order from kent systems for barbed fittings if you go with the 1/2" line also

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Thanks to Sunnydog and everyone else's input. I'm sold, I'm going to start changing over. The drought is pissing me off, and being able to leave indoors for a while is nice.

Outdoors I want to use these in ~ 32 inch diameter holes. I'm thinking either using three sensors with six distributor drippers per plant, or just using five of the tropf blumats. Do you guys think that is overkill or is it not enough? This is kind of what I'm thinking of doing.

Seems like a lot ; but i don't know how they will work without a container. What is your water supply? This might be a job for the maxi version, as it samples from deeper in the soil?

K

KSP

Here's what the blumat reservoir tap looks like. I think you need a 12 mm dia hole in your reservoir.

Thru-hull__18244_std.jpg

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Here's what the blumat reservoir tap looks like. I think you need a 12 mm dia hole in your reservoir.

View Image

this is awesome thanks for this. helps me visualize using this system...

i have done enough research to know this is gonna be a game changer. i am so stoked