What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

slowandeasy

Veteran
No need to hold extra water when you have Blumats, they drip regularly, not in intervals. Use regular coco or soil, adding stuff just wastes money.

Ready Gro is designed to be watered 4-6 times per day. But I have to try straight Coco 1st anyways, because that is what they now. We shall see how they work next week, when they come.

I have seen several posts in this tread stating that one blumat would be fine for a 5 gallon pot, it sounds like you might disagree. Is 5 gallon the cut off point where one might be ok and bigger needs two for sure? Thanks Lazyman

This would be a great answer from Lazyman. I too have Blumats on the way (from GERMANY!!! YIKES ITS BEEN 20 DAYS) I order 4 Maxi (the long ones) and 8 regular.

I would like to know how many regualr Blumats you use for a 5 gal :artist::thank you:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I have some moms in 4 gallon pots that have single regular blumats, they do fine. When I was down a few plants I put two in each, they work fine that way too, seems to disperse the water more evenly across the soil. I'd say one is just fine if you want, but two is better.

Xtensity

Reason I don't think it is worth it, is because it requires a hose to be around it..... Any place that is close enough to get a hose there and have it laying out is close enough to water yourself and control it on your own.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Reason I don't think it is worth it, is because it requires a hose to be around it..... Any place that is close enough to get a hose there and have it laying out is close enough to water yourself and control it on your own.

If you read this thread you will see that automatic control is better for the plant and you need to look at the thread linked below from page one of this thread, there is no way you are getting in there to water.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=110619

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I found a 12 unit set at a growstore that looks like it's going out of business. They had 3 boxes available and were covered in dust, i.e. they've been sitting for a long time.

The price on the sticker was $83.99 and they were marked down to $50.00 and there's no sales tax in my state.

I only grow 4 or 5 MMJ plants in #5 SmartPots so the 12 unit set is perfect to set up 2 in each pot.

Great thread and glad I stopped in and started following it. This is a perfect for many medical growers who have limited mobility issues to deal with.

Thanks again to everyone that participated.

CC

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran

LOL,ou wanna come hand water my 160 pots 4 times every day? I want them each hefted for weight to determine if they need more water or not first please.

Sorry, I have much MUCH better things to do with my time than spending hours a day handwatering. THe Blumats ensure no plant is under- or over-watered, something even people have trouble with. I'd also like to be able to leave my garden for more than a day or two without worry. Can you?

LOL,ou wanna come hand water my 160 pots 4 times every day? I want them each hefted for weight to determine if they need more water or not first please.

Sorry, I have much MUCH better things to do with my time than spending hours a day handwatering. THe Blumats ensure no plant is under- or over-watered, something even people have trouble with. I'd also like to be able to leave my garden for more than a day or two without worry. Can you?

yea what he said..

Blumat's gave me my life back.

:jump:

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Crap it takes me an afternoon to water my plants :D I used 60 gallons the other day..... 9 plants ;) I would love to get some of these. Not finding the maxi ones though for my 10-15 gallon pots.

Does the top soil get a chance to dry out?

Smiley

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
About half my topsoil is dry the other half damp. That's why multiple blumats are nice on bigger pots, to ensure a more even moisture level from a higher elevation in the medium.

You can make them as dry or damp as you like, literally bone dry to constant runoff and anywhere in between. Remember you're adjusting the knob to control the overall moisture level of the pot, nothing more.

Some guys try to dick with them constantly and want them to drip constantly, that's not how they work!

Hope that helps, I agree with COHomegrown, gives you your life back. I could theoretically leave my garden for weeks and they will always be watered. I'd have other problems I'm sure, but watering would not be one of them. Of course that's not just Blumats, but see my reservoir automation thread and my 16kw grow for pics of aerated and automated Blumat reservoirs like this:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I found a 12 unit set at a growstore that looks like it's going out of business. They had 3 boxes available and were covered in dust, i.e. they've been sitting for a long time.

The price on the sticker was $83.99 and they were marked down to $50.00 and there's no sales tax in my state.

I only grow 4 or 5 MMJ plants in #5 SmartPots so the 12 unit set is perfect to set up 2 in each pot.

Great thread and glad I stopped in and started following it. This is a perfect for many medical growers who have limited mobility issues to deal with.

Thanks again to everyone that participated.

CC

Thanks for this post CC, I sent my daughter into Portland and had her pick up one of the 12 pack sets for $50, they still have one more left.

Has anyone tried these in a Hempy bucket with 4 parts Perlite and 1 part Vermiculite? Does anyone know if they would work in this medium.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I would imagine the lack of wicking ability in the medium would be problematic. I'd say stick to soil, coco or straight verm for blumats. If you ran giant RW blocks it would work too, but probably not in the croutons.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I would imagine the lack of wicking ability in the medium would be problematic. I'd say stick to soil, coco or straight verm for blumats. If you ran giant RW blocks it would work too, but probably not in the croutons.

Yeah that is what I kinda gathered from previous posts, thank you. May test it just for fun but I don't expect it to work.

gdbud

Sorry Smiley, I called around found the shop and picked up the last one. It had been on the self since 2007 talk about dust and to think in the last two days they sold 3 or 4 of them. What a deal.
Thanks CC for saving me $$.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Sorry Smiley, I called around found the shop and picked up the last one. It had been on the self since 2007 talk about dust and to think in the last two days they sold 3 or 4 of them. What a deal.
Thanks CC for saving me $$.

I hope the dust on all the old boxes is aids

:fsu:

:D

Maybe I'll call Monday and sweet talk my way into becoming a distributor.

Smiley

gdbud

I could not find any place in town that sold them until CC made the post.
I had tried talking to the couple of shops that I use about carrying them but they had not heard of them.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
The funny thing is he told me about them before he even got his so it's my fault :D

Funny I was going to say anthrax but went with aids

;)

Smiley

Latest posts

Latest posts