What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

I got it thank you. One last one for ya, do yall use the Blumats that they call "patio or balcony" or do you yall use "indoor or house plants" ?

THANK YOUUU :thank you::thank you:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Better Growth thru Blumats!

Better Growth thru Blumats!

Has anybody else using BM's noticed their plants responding better to the slow, even watering? I notice far happier :) plants with BM's than hand watered. Better roots,too!

SD

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
I've been using them a few months now, my plants are definately the happiest they have ever been - I've handwatered til now.

The only issue ive run into so far is slightly uneven coverage in larger tubs.. but that's easily solved with a second blumat on the opposite side of the tub..

slowandeasy

Veteran
Ok, so I am very interested in trying these Blumats. I will have about 8 plants Max in a tent flowering at a time. So I have a couple questions. I am using Smart Pots, 1 gal for veg and 2 gal for flower. How do you figure out the best flow rate? If you do not water to run off, do you get build up at all or any other problems? What if I wanted to put Rez outside of tent, to save space...will a longer distance effect preformance? Do you seem to use less or more water than hand watering? Any other tips? BTW, I use straight Coco...should I use some ready-grow moisture formula instead? Thanks alot.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Ok, so I am very interested in trying these Blumats. I will have about 8 plants Max in a tent flowering at a time. So I have a couple questions. I am using Smart Pots, 1 gal for veg and 2 gal for flower. How do you figure out the best flow rate? If you do not water to run off, do you get build up at all or any other problems? What if I wanted to put Rez outside of tent, to save space...will a longer distance effect preformance? Do you seem to use less or more water than hand watering? Any other tips? BTW, I use straight Coco...should I use some ready-grow moisture formula instead? Thanks alot.

Flow Rate- They are totally adjustable. The plant's needs "turn them on".

Res.- must be higher than plants, I have run these several hundred feet out doors; indoors I just put the res. up on a sturdy metal shelf.

I cannot speak to build-up, etc. as I run only water.

Coco- I think some folks have been using these with coco, not sure though, have a read through and see.

Good luck!

SD

thank you for the reply but the links don't work or there is nothing there or they are the uk company . Looking for place to order in the US . thanks again :wave:

slowandeasy

Veteran
Yep I have some 4 gallon pots for moms, they drip, drip, drip pretty much constantly, but if it needed to there is enough head pressure to flood them in a minute. It's amazing, I use a 10" saucer under 8" pots, so this at least allows me to see at a glance if its overwatered (saucer overflows.) The difference between just right and overwatered is about 1/16"th of a turn on the Blumat valves, but I like have that flexibility.

Like I said, I never want to use anything else again, they're just too cool!

So you are watering to run off? How long should it take to get run off? My plants are elevated and are in Smart Pots. Just do not know who you guys are figuring out the best setting? Thanks!!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The setting is to drench the plant (handwater) then open the blumat til it flows, then crank it down til it stops dripping. Check it again in a few days and see if it's maintaining the dampness you want, or adjust it up or down as needed. I do no runoff, don't want 175 small pools of water just sitting around messing up my RH and breeding bugs!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Blumats on the way!! Cant wait to set up, will make things much less time consuming. Thanks for the tips. Just want to figure out I should stay with straight coco or Ready Gro Moisture Control. Will look into it.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
No need to hold extra water when you have Blumats, they drip regularly, not in intervals. Use regular coco or soil, adding stuff just wastes money.

Just ordered a couple of the patio sets and can't wait to try them! but part of me can't get the whole "one of the worst things you can do is over water" out of my head! Is the tubing a standard size that we can match at the depot?

Has anyone used the multiple dripers with any success (inside where theres nothing to clog them.)

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
No, you can't use any tubing other than the 3mm OD surgical tubing BLumat sells, I promise.

Drippers are a bad idea, just use the Blumats. On 5g pots and bigger I'd use two for even coverage.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
No, you can't use any tubing other than the 3mm OD surgical tubing BLumat sells, I promise.

Drippers are a bad idea, just use the Blumats. On 5g pots and bigger I'd use two for even coverage.

I have seen several posts in this tread stating that one blumat would be fine for a 5 gallon pot, it sounds like you might disagree. Is 5 gallon the cut off point where one might be ok and bigger needs two for sure? Thanks Lazyman