What's new

Bluedigiberry f3

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those traits never surface in the original Digi Bx1 male outcrosses. (there were about 18 of them) That's 100% the influence of VG's Dutch Passion Blueberry fem, which as he has posted was a very sativa leaning expression that foxtailed and stacked in such pearl strings.

dank.Frank
I think that's right @dank.frank . In the F3s some plants have gone beyond dreads into 'pearl' territory with gaps between calyx groups on the tails which is something that the DJ short fans seem to recognize from his work (F13 was mentioned IIRC) . I love the way the slight burnt rubber/chemmy smell has been retained from the Digital Berry side.. sounds odd but works really well and i guess it brings some different Terps too.
thanks for stopping by sir it is an honor :tiphat:
VG

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fwiw - the burnt rubber or chemmy notes do not come from Digi, directly.

Digi is the most blueberry muffin terp I have experienced and the Bx1 male contributed and amplified that in everything it touched. Takes fruity/floral and purifies it to true blueberry muffin.

The burnt rubber notes come from the Sour Bubble Bx2 male that was used in the original outcross, ie Chili's Arnold male. The Bx1 male I selected did have a more indica profile for the purpose of increasing stability - as the Digi clone grows like a sensitive thai. Won't toss nanners in a perfect environment, but when stressed doesn't always play nice.

It's one of the primary reasons Chili was hesitant to share the line with anyone - he didn't want blamed for pollinating someone's crop simply because they didn't stay on top of things and pay attention to their garden closely enough.

If you want to get away from the burnt rubber - you have to select toward plants that have heavy double serrations on the fan blades. I'm pretty sure I've always mentioned that over the years.

The one F2 you have pictured in your new cab, has the DJ leaf spread on what seems to be a more compact stature, but no double serrations. Makes sense to me, some of the results being found in the F3 line. It's been extremely fun watching you progress in your blueberry line as you place your twist on it via your selections and how those have translated in the next generations.

I'm glad you have carried it all forward and have put so many plants in to gardens that people are obviously enjoying!

Great work, VG. I appreciate your sincerity and dedication to your vision. I'm looking forward to what you find in the haze line. I'd implore you to seek double serrations - once again. ;)

Also, I think I asked this in PM or on your wall - but I was looking over PMs from 2012 - because some how those re-appeared with the site transition - and I saw one where I mentioned giving you ChemSour x Digi Bx1 seeds.

Is that accurate? Did I send you? Do you still have those?!?!?!

Good vibes! :respect:

dank.Frank

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey @dank.frank ive inswered your post on my profile now - have been away for a week.
The Burnt rubber. Ive just been back and found the post in the old thread... i also always assumed it was from the SB in the backcross.. but chili_berkster actually corrected me when i told someone that and said definitively that it was from the Digi mum. look at posts 879, 880 881 in the BDB F2 thread.
and somebody comments that they have smelt Burnt rubber in other BB lines too.
I actually really like it now and feel it helps make the BDB its own line rather than just a BB 'copy' . it brings a tiny bit of 'dank' into the mix and is a very unusual combination. I reckon it is found in maybe a quarter of the plants.. and just like chem it reeks in veg as well so easy to find.
thanks also for the kind words and generosity. I am pleased with how the BDB is turning out.
P.S. i do look for the double serrations... but last time i chose the male to keep (for progeny testing) that had the much better root mass rather than the one with the greater number of double serrations...
VG :tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know the time stamps but think I followed up in your thread before you posted back on my wall, either way, thank you. Let me know what you find out. I might have to trade you some gear if you do still have those....LOL. :joint:

I happen to disagree with Chili_B on that one. We've discussed it a couple of times. Now, naturally, he holds the clone and can rub a stem and say for certain. However, that's ONLY on the stem rub. It does NOT translate to the actual flower or to the smoke left in the air. I can speak to the male I selected and used...I'd have to go back and look at my own notes as to how I have described it over the years. I knew you'd mention that and bring it up. I know it's not coming from your DP Blueberry sativa. It's just nuanced breeder chatter. Regardless. I like how dominant your plant structure comes out in the line and how dominant the Digi terp profile is coming through. Good work either way you look at it. :respect:

dank.Frank

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey @dank.frank you are right i've never smelt that on my BB mum. - but i think it may be possible that it was in the genes of your selected male (from the Digi clone mum) but not expressed... i didn't get any in the BDB F1s either but it started to crop up in the F2s.. which maybe bought out some recessive genes in the recombinations.
It doesn't really matter, it is what it is and i like it regardless of where it is from ! - and it certainly does express in some of the F2 and F3 plants as part of the flowers' terpene profile.. The F2 BDB that i grew in my cab has the burnt rubber in the background quite noticeably. - i'm currently trying to reverse that girl and may make some Fem BDB seeds and some S1s of that clone which i love.
Here is another comment from Chili from the thread and i think the 'skunk' he refers to is the burnt rubber. (allegedly it comes from afghan genes but i would love to know which terpene it is .. must research that.)
Digi... is it live or is it memorex? ... artificial blueberry muffins reheated with some skunk.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Terpene is possibly Butanethiol / butyl Mercaptan ?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, those are thiols and thioacetates - a completely different thing than terpenes. So, while people have tried to isolate or apply that to cannabis, I don't thin there is any foundation for it to date.

dank.Frank

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Beautiful stuff @Sub24ox7!

Interesting about selecting heavy double serrations to select away from the burnt rubber profile. The F3 I have hung on to and grown a cut of twice since growing the seed plant has run the gamut of blueberry profiles… thoroughly impressed with the expressions (differences each grow) but have yet to note any burnt rubber profiles (which I did find in F2 plants). The last run, after chop, she was hanging to dry next to an S1 of Chem ’91 and once walking by them I got a strong skunk smell and thought for sure it was the ’91, but it was the BDB F3. Now dry, I detect no skunk.

Haven’t made her happy yet, but will be working on it. Cuts have rooted quickly and without issue. She will be the test subject for a comparison run in different soils. Made a good number of seeds with her with a God Bud male as pollen donor. Hope is to reduce stretch and strengthen laterals. And ideally to give some oomph to the nose of God Bud leaning girls. Because opening the jar of flowers from the seed plant could nearly burn nostril hairs with their astringency before settling into a more candied blueberry smell.

F3 #3 round 3.jpg

F3 #3 doubles.jpg

F3 #3 full.jpg

glitter balls.jpg
F3 #3 .jpg
F3 #3 chop.jpg

BDB F3 #3 nugs.jpg

:headbange

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey @Shmavis great to see you ! -your plant looks lovely.. and i agree that the BB genes seem to be expressed very differently in different environments.. which is true of all plants to an extent but ime to its greatest extent in the BB lines. Looking at my F3 plants grown in small pots and cooling temps against @Sub24ox7 who's plants kept going much longer with continuous feeding and the warmth of his sealed room you wouldn't think they were the same line.

As for the chemmy/skunky/burnt rubber hint to some of the BDB plants, ive just gone through the 8 jars from my test grow and i can only detect it in 1 or 2 of the plants.. so it is not necessarily a common feature. Interesting that it has been present inconsistently for you with that plant... i found another link that talks about what causes those skunky/chemmy type smells.. not sure if it is accurate but i do think it's a safe bet that these are likely to be sulphur containing terps or volatile compounds - i use gypsum in my soil and i wonder if the sulphur it adds would encourage it.. perhaps that is too simplistic. I'll be very interested to see what S1s of my Candy BB/burnt rubber F2 girl come out like.
I described the odour effect in my grow diary thread as a bit like Smelling the best sweet jammy BB aroma on the buds whilst sitting in a room where something has taken a sh1t in the corner - lol - it is such an odd (but somehow pleasing) combination that my brain infers that the chemmy smell is coming from somewhere else !
keep us posted on your plant please...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That looks very tasty @Sub24ox7 - you've really got that properly ripe and i'm glad you are enjoying the smoke. Black licorice - that might be one of the smells i'm struggling to identify in my jars of BDB..
Thanks again for sticking with the BDB and delivering a great grow - after the initial bad luck with M/F ratios and the herm on the first run - i'm pleased we have established that there aren't too many in this BDB line. Some would say 1 is too many i guess, but herms were baked into these lines to some extent way before i started messing about with them so we have to be realistic... and i do love 'Blue' genetics.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
hey @Shmavis great to see you ! -your plant looks lovely.. and i agree that the BB genes seem to be expressed very differently in different environments.. which is true of all plants to an extent but ime to its greatest extent in the BB lines. Looking at my F3 plants grown in small pots and cooling temps against @Sub24ox7 who's plants kept going much longer with continuous feeding and the warmth of his sealed room you wouldn't think they were the same line.

As for the chemmy/skunky/burnt rubber hint to some of the BDB plants, ive just gone through the 8 jars from my test grow and i can only detect it in 1 or 2 of the plants.. so it is not necessarily a common feature. Interesting that it has been present inconsistently for you with that plant... i found another link that talks about what causes those skunky/chemmy type smells.. not sure if it is accurate but i do think it's a safe bet that these are likely to be sulphur containing terps or volatile compounds - i use gypsum in my soil and i wonder if the sulphur it adds would encourage it.. perhaps that is too simplistic. I'll be very interested to see what S1s of my Candy BB/burnt rubber F2 girl come out like.
I described the odour effect in my grow diary thread as a bit like Smelling the best sweet jammy BB aroma on the buds whilst sitting in a room where something has taken a sh1t in the corner - lol - it is such an odd (but somehow pleasing) combination that my brain infers that the chemmy smell is coming from somewhere else !
keep us posted on your plant please...

Thanks VG! Hope all is well with you and yours. :tiphat:

Do not recall whose thread or which member also made the sulfur link… actually think I have read others saying it more than a few times so might be something to that. Interestingly the seed plant was grown under LED and then a cut of her under HPS and yet another cut back again under LED. Found differences each time with the more syrupy profile coming from the HPS grow.

Like many of us here I have many seeds to work through. I have plans and projects and short lists and whatnot. As well as a good number of seeds of questionable viability, meaning I should be prioritizing them… generally I do not place a lot of importance on terps, but rather effect. But I could not resist upsetting my short list to pop some of these because of the truly extraordinary terp profiles in the line — great stuff!

In addition to growing her again in a different soil mix I am also considering running her in coco. Never tried coco before but thinking I will give it a whirl. Will report back with the results.

Great weekend to all!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been smoking on some of the T2 Blueberry plant. Lovely balanced high. The buds have a perfumed floral like and Berry muffins smell.
The pearl phenos are a very nice smoke too, been working my way through them and they are very smooth to draw and those little resinous pearls just disappear in a puff of smoke when burnt in a pipe... the only dilemma is whether to smoke the resinous stems or not lol.
need to start a hash jar for them
VG

Latest posts

Latest posts