What's new

Blazeoneup's Recirculating Dwc Construction Tutorial!

jimmie

the water level was fine before adding the pump i had it all set to be 1 inch under net pot as soon as i turn on the pump the controller lowers and res adds more water and then main buckets water rises

plumpm0nkey

what size is your pump? my guess its pushing to much water and the waste hose is not big enough or needs to be bigger back to the controlller.

D

DND

I know this thread has been a bit dormant, but I have some questions regarding the fittings and tubing.

I plan on building this system, but the scaled down 6 site version. I am going to modify
some of the fittings, specifically the bucket drains which are 3/4" E&F tub drains. I want to use 3/4" elbows and T's with grommets to shave off a little cost.

Here are the questions:

When using fittings like the 3/4" elbow, which size grommet and tubing do you use? 3/4"?

Reason I ask is because on the parts list it states specifically 3/4" ID (inside diameter) tubing... logic tells me use the same size tubing/grommets as the fittings except I know some of the 1/2" tubings and fittings have 2 different sizes. Just want to make sure since I have to order via the internet...no local hydro shop. :(

With this modification, is there a need to use glue?

I found this tubing... http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/12-inch-id-black-vinyl-tubing-100ftroll-p-1647.html
which is vinyl instead of poly. Can I use this vinyl tubing for the feeder lines and poke holes into it like with the poly tubing? From my understanding the vinyl is much more flexible than poly and I'm not sure if you can poke holes in it without having issues like cracking or leaks.

blazeoneup...props to you for coming up with this tutorial. I'm not faulting your design, I am just working on a restricted budget with minimal space. I have to go with more flexible tubing because of it and mod to my needs. Thanks again for this.

crosseyed

ok it took me a couple of hours to cut measure and build this system.. thanks for the tutorial buddy...

it was hard work... time consumin.. but easy following ur steps.. i learned alot and i know on my next set up of the same system i can make it sooo much neater and cleaner looking..

when i plugged in the pumpp... i was hoping not to get a leak.. but noooo... i got a leak from the hole i made into the feeder line for the 1/4 fitting.. the cooking thermometer worked great.. i made a 8 bucket system but 5 had leaks all at the hole from the cooking thermometer.. maybe i punched too hard? i dontknow.. but the other 3 seem to be fine.. i was wondering is there any special type of glue or sealant i could put to help the small leak?

anyways if i dont get an answer tomorrow i guess ill mess around with the system tomorrow. thanks for the tutorial buddy

kp^

blazeoneup, AWESOME tutorial dude!! Thank you for putting the time and effort into building it. :respect:

I'm planning on doing a 12 bucket system in a sealed room under 2k MH, and then swich to HPS. Was thinking the lumatek ballasts. A bit spendy, but worth it in the long run!

Working on a supply list, and finishing up the design as well. Looks like I will have 10' x 7' room to work with. Size will also depend on how I setup a 2-door access to the room as well. Need stealth+no light/smell leaks etc.. so thinking 2 door solution.

I've done many soil grows in cabs, so taking this to a hydro solution is big steps for me. Very exciting that I'm going to be able to setup a 12 bucket system sooon!

Blaze, One thing I was curious if you had figured out a way for a quick release of a bucket to the system?

Thanks again blaze, and thanks to everyone else that has contributed helpful information to the system.:smoke::smoke::smoke:

plumpm0nkey

hey crosseyed^^^

I used the barb punch tool that you can find at homedepot. DONT SKIMP ON THE RIGHT TOOL. you can use it and return it ! last thing you wana find is you have a flooded room. i think the tutorial told you to expect leaks. so go to the hardware store and slap some underwater epoxy. make sure its for rubber not copper. when i ran my 12bucket i had propblems towards the end of the grow with clogged 1/4 lines and angled barbs that restricted the feed flow. i was usn flora nova . not again.. flush every month!!!
You will have 100% success if you follow this nutrient calc.
http://www.advancednutrients.com/nutcalc3public/nutrient_calculator.html

Hey KP^^^
Quick release ? you could just use 2 valves??? but why would you want to take a bucket off? for " quick release" .

Im just throwin my 2 cents in. feedback and brainstorming :joint:

Nayxio

I'm going to be using something similar to this but on a way smaller scale quite soon and I'm trying to gather some info. I can't tell if its just confusing because I don't have everything infront of me or what, though.

Well anyways, I'm going to have a two 5g bucket system in the new NGB style cab that I'm planning. Two main buckets in the flower area, and a reservoir (5 gallon) in another chamber to the left of that. Now my problem here is the controller. Specifically, the reservoir chamber is 1'3"w x 1'6"d x 1'8"h. From simple measurements the 5 gallon buckets are about 12" in diameter and are 15" tall. So with one reservoir in there, there will be plenty of room for other stuff (like a chiller/pump), just not another 5 gallon bucket.

What ways can I set this system up? And what types of containers could I use for a controller? or is there a way to divide the 5 gallon bucket in two, so one side could be the controller and the other the reservoir?

Anyways, thanks to anybody who can help. Recirculating DWC is one thing that I've never been familiar with and can use as much help as I can get.

Nayxio said:
What ways can I set this system up? And what types of containers could I use for a controller? or is there a way to divide the 5 gallon bucket in two, so one side could be the controller and the other the reservoir?

Nayxio, if you're talking auto top-ups and the like, here's something to consider and the way I run my system.

If your return pipes back to the reservoir are set at your desired water level (in effect as an overflow), you don't have to worry about auto top-ups etc. The water level of your reservoir will fall, but never your buckets.

As long as you don't let your reservoir run dry you're sweet - and remember even if you do your reservoir's got to run dry before your buckets even start to fall.

Personnaly I could never understand the reason for return pipes set below desired water level and that's one of the reasons why.

kp^

plumpm0nkey, Few reasons come to mind. I'll be growing from clones, veg in the buckets, then switch to flower and call it good. I'm pondering the idea of ebb & flow in a cabinet, then the transplant to the buckets would be easier.

One of the issues I worry about is_if_a_specific issues arises in a bucket. Or maybe not even an "issue" but more of a convenience. Take a bucket out, add a bucket in. Make it so the whole system is modular. Maybe you don't want to be limited to your 12 bucket system forever. Why build a complete new system if you want to downsize? Be able to tap into a feed line, and add a new bucket or remove a bucket when needed would be very cool imo. I dunno, more of thinking out loud with the whole idea.

As a soil grower I trim, and train alot. Being able to go into the grow room, pull a bucket for 15min to "train" it or even "inspect" it and then re-add it back into the system would be cool. So where there is a line to and from the bucket there would have to be a quick release or something of sorts. :joint:

I'm going to local hydro stores to see if they will give a better quote on my complete shopping list. I' ok with buying things online, but I've got lots of stores, and even a 10% discount + more discount the more $$ ya spend there. so yeah. :). Already got a quote of ~$1300 for the lights, co2/ controllers, and an ebb and grow system from C.A.P. Pretty cool tho. (http://capcontrollers.com).

Still researching, and designing things. So much info in these forums. Just gotta search and have the time to read it. I get inspiration from yall! :)

Marijuana is not addicting, its growing it that's so addicting!

Thanks again!
:joint:

Allusive

I do not recommend texashydroponics or wormsway as mentioned in the topic post. I originally ordered a bunch of fittings from texashydro and my order never shipped. Never received any kind of e-mail that my order was going to ship or anything. Eventually called them and they couldn't tell me when my order was going to ship! I found out from others that they are scammers. Canceled my order with them. I've also heard wormsway will report you if they think you're trying to grow cannabis.

I ordered everything I needed from www.discount-hydro.com and they shipped in a plain box no markings the day after I ordered (it was a large order too). They also had better prices on all the fittings.

Once I have everything setup I'll post a growlog. :joint:

HydroFarmer

Just wanted to say thanks.......

Just wanted to say thanks.......

Blaze...

Just wanted to personally stop thru and say thanks for this tutorial man...For years I had been forced to smoke the huff from around my way...and any decent herb was way overpriced. I must admit, I smoke plenty of bud and for what I was spending my money on, I decided to give it ( growing my own) a go and see what would happen.....My first experiment with DWC was individual buckets I learned how to make from an old OG thread, but when I ran across this thread I got inspired to link them all together and its truly like you said....very easy to maintain..ph very stable...nut changes are a breeze..etc..

I started with the 12 buckets and it was great....then last night, while doing my evening garden maintenance.... I realized I had more space than I thought and I added 4 more for a total of 16 and let me tell you...its a thing of beauty....

So again....big ups for this tut....I see alot of good smoke in my immediate future thanks to you and all the others here at IC....

Peace..... :joint:

So I made a Blazeoneup's rDWC about 1 year ago and it works great! or has been working great! I love it!

I had a few leaks here and there but I fixed them in the beginning and once in a while I have to tighten things up no biggie!

However, 2 out of the 12 1/4" barbed elbows are not shooting water. Usually I would play with it but my buckets and res. are full. This is the water that is from the water pump to the 12 buckets.

When I first made them I had a few leaks and I don't really want to pull the barbs out unless I really know it will work because I might not be able to fix the leaks.... or will I....

So anyone know how to fix this? Should I just pull it out or does someone have another solution?

wavedash

Personnaly I could never understand the reason for return pipes set below desired water level and that's one of the reasons why.

I just read this tutorial and am having the same trouble understanding why the feed lines come in from the top of the bucket. It seems as if the buckets would drain just as fast as you pumped water into the top if the drains are at the bottom. How come feed lines aren't pumped into the bottom of the bucket and the return lines aren't where the water level should be in the buckets? this system just seems like it doesn't work physically. although all these people have built them and they work. wtf lol maybe im too high

Dire Squire

Lets say you were to have your return line piped in at the very top of your resevoir, creating the ever popular waterfall effect to help with the Dissolved Oxygen. Could that replace all the airstones?

The reason I ask is I have it setup that way now, and left a few buckets without airstones in them and they seem to be doing just as well as the buckets with stones in them...

Before I rip everything apart I want to be sure :smile:

whodi

Veteran
Is it possible to have this DWC system prepetual?

Could you run one system veg, and another system for flower and just disconnect the pots in veg and hook them up to the system in flower?

thanks

HellaFella420

Veteran
Sup Blaze! I jsut went back and set me up a DWC , the same one i was using, and holding onto since the OLD days!

Not yet a DWC ""master", but getting there FAST!

bron2k

so does everyone keep their pumps running 24/7 or do you also set it on 12/12 with the lights? i currently have it on 24/7 but it heats up my water so i would like to shut it off during lights out.