What's new

Blazeoneup's Recirculating Dwc Construction Tutorial!

bron2k

yea obviously i got my air pump all the time too but should i not run my water pump for recirculating 24/7? thanks..

HellaFella420

Veteran
nah, I do 5 min an hour..... havent measured it, but i guestimate its just long enough for 4-5 gallons to pump, into each bucket, full refresh for my 4gallon buckets

njayjay

Hi i don't have access to these exact products for building this where i'm at but I can get similar hosing and fittings.
I was wondering waht difference an "ebb and flow" outlet makes from any similar outlet used for general applications.
I have access to valves, tees, elbows, hosing, etc, but none are sold as "ebb and flow". Also what purpose do the ebb and flow screens serve?
I am wondering if I could replace some of those "ebb and flow" pieces with general application parts, or these ebb and flow have something
special about them. Thanks in advance.

HellaFella420

Veteran
nothing special, @ they hydro store its just all the shit you need on the same shelf is all....

The screens keep debris that gets rinsed out of pots from running through your pump, ive seen plenty of tidy hydro systems that get away without them tho..... $.35 safety measure your pumps dont jam is all...?

ajc0k

hey guys im considering this rdwc system vs 24 multi flo green tree bucket system i just have a few questions i dont understand it too well.

1) if you had a 18 bucket rdwc set up how would you go about changing the water in the buckets? would you have to disconnect each bucket and drain each and every one?
2) where do you add nutes? to the rez or the controller? ALSO most importantly how much nutes should you add - say you have an 18 gallon controller and twelve 5 gallon buckets=78 gallons. would you include nutes for the rez as well adding on another 55 gallons or so, making it 133 gallons worth nutes? or strictly RO water for rez??
3) how long do you leave the feed line pump on for? 24/7? or can you put it on timer? it seems the pump would get really hot, even with water chiller..

CarnivalofZerg

We used this system a while ago, from this thread. We had impressive growth results, but for one reason or another we have always had a leak. At first it was a one or two 1/4" barbs, which were easy enough to locate and fix in early flower. Then as everyone grew up, the roots got so serious that they grew through the ebb & flow screen and clogged our lines on two plants. Leading to a leak of tragic proportions. We solved this with some cutting (painful for all involved of the roots and adding another finer, larger (more surface area) screen. Finally there was a little leak that occurred late in flower. Which was impossible to locate, get to because of our extremely overcrowded conditions. The only real problem was that it bothered us seeing water on the floor almost all the time, though it was not harmful to our water levels. Though it sounds like a bunch of complaints, we really did like the system and it gave good results other then the mostly avoidable leaks we encountered. Again, not trying to tear down just trying to help out anyone who might be starting fresh on this project.

HellaFella420

Veteran
Leaks are a constant enemy @ my house, mostly totally avoidable, use hose clamps if your leaks dont stop...

Strangely my leaks start & stop @ random..... glad im in the garage....

We used this system a while ago, from this thread. We had impressive growth results, but for one reason or another we have always had a leak. At first it was a one or two 1/4" barbs, which were easy enough to locate and fix in early flower. Then as everyone grew up, the roots got so serious that they grew through the ebb & flow screen and clogged our lines on two plants. Leading to a leak of tragic proportions. We solved this with some cutting (painful for all involved of the roots and adding another finer, larger (more surface area) screen. Finally there was a little leak that occurred late in flower. Which was impossible to locate, get to because of our extremely overcrowded conditions. The only real problem was that it bothered us seeing water on the floor almost all the time, though it was not harmful to our water levels. Though it sounds like a bunch of complaints, we really did like the system and it gave good results other then the mostly avoidable leaks we encountered. Again, not trying to tear down just trying to help out anyone who might be starting fresh on this project.

If you were to use this system agian, how would you prevent the leaks?
can you go into details? Because i am going to start this very soon around 49 buckets. 7x7 rows

Thank you very much.

This is an awesome tut man! really appreciate it. I just built an ebb n flow but this schooled me a bit on the dwc answered alot of q's about how it worked exactly.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience building Blaze's setup with 9 buckets 3x3.. what size controller and reservoir should be used?

Can I just use the same sizes for the 12 bucket setup but run the water level a little lower?

CarnivalofZerg

If you were to use this system agian, how would you prevent the leaks?
can you go into details? Because i am going to start this very soon around 49 buckets. 7x7 rows

Thank you very much.
I would silicone everything I could from the start, and don't be impatient; 24 hours to cure. I would try to make it so it was easy to spot all the fittings so if a leak occurs you could spot it more easily. Our setup had all the hoses (mostly) on the floor. Not the easiest to spot a leak once there's a 3x3 puddle of water on the floor. Ebb and flow screens did not cut it once the roots were filling up the bucket. Two or three different plants had roots growing into the returns something fierce. Maybe a regular hose screen stuffed in there? I suppose this also has to do with how long you vegged/container size to a degree. Highly recommend some sort of leak protection system on the floor, we used pond liner and it is very durable. Still in place this day. Just my :2cents: GL :joint:

HellaFella420

Veteran
Ewwww, I guess if you HAVE to..... at the VERY LEAST, use "Aquarium" silicone, supposedly its inert and wont release yucky things into your nutrient solution....

njayjay

Just wondering if anyone has any experience building Blaze's setup with 9 buckets 3x3.. what size controller and reservoir should be used?

Can I just use the same sizes for the 12 bucket setup but run the water level a little lower?

Wondering the same myself however I think the water level should be set the same as this is the water level the buckets will have.

daemos

^^^what he said plus any questions you have prob will be answered if you read through the thread. I did and learnt a shit load, most important thing i learnt would be to get a chiller!
Happy Reading and big ups to blaze on this great how to...

Would you guys recommend to use Rapid roots or 2 Inch net cups or cloning?

I ask this because i made my ez cloner and i use 2 inch netcups.

If its a problem i could start using rapid rooters to clone.