What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Blackstar 180w LRr2: The First Mission

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Try lining the cab with Reflectix.
It will help retain heat in the cab and cut down on sound.
I dont see a whole lotta growth for 21 days, so low temps might be the issue.
The crinkled leaves look like a pH issue as well.
I've never messed with AF genes (and never will), so I guess my opinion's worthless, but I dont see the attraction.
If you want fast flowering plants, take clones in flower.
I got pistils in 18 days and have about 5x the growth in the same amount of time.

fatelvis

Claude, I've grown LR2 twice. Once outdoors, and once indoors. Outdoors, they revealed their sex within 15-18 days (from breaking above ground). Indoors I was finally able see gender early in the 4th week above ground. I didn't enter in my journal exactly WHEN the first plant showed (duh), but did log the date I found ALL the indoor LR2s showing their sex - day 30. I suspect they started the 'reveal' around day 24 and 4-6 days later all were 'out'.

My indoor growing area stays in the range of 64-68 degrees during winter. My indoor grows I think are sometimes slower to progress than you EXPERTs here, and I've thought it's partly due to the lower temps. :dunno:

And of course, using LED grow lights doesn't do much to raise the temps.

my area is similar to yours, has been very cold and same light method.

progress has been really slow over the cold period and i'm pretty sure was the main reason for a much lower yield in the last run then in the first run, they also took much longer and i might well of harvested them early but was worried that trich heads may have been falling off (due to cold/fan?).

i'll probably just keep an eye out for some lead and get a hps next winter for the heat, the light will be a bonus :D

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
my area is similar to yours, has been very cold and same light method.

progress has been really slow over the cold period and i'm pretty sure was the main reason for a much lower yield in the last run then in the first run, they also took much longer and i might well of harvested them early but was worried that trich heads may have been falling off (due to cold/fan?).

i'll probably just keep an eye out for some lead and get a hps next winter for the heat, the light will be a bonus :D

I'm pretty sure it was the cold. The room is otherwise perfect, set way off in an attic-like corner of this old Victorian home. It's like a maze to find it. The only trouble is that heat can't find its way there either.

I'm building a new box to deal with the cold. I will be using 1" styrofoam sheathing over a 1x2 framework. It will have enough room that I'll be able to run a couple of the 68 watt cfl's I picked up for seed starting along with my LED.
picture.php

Sgt Stedenko,

I've never messed with AF genes (and never will), so I guess my opinion's worthless, but I dont see the attraction.
If you want fast flowering plants, take clones in flower.
I got pistils in 18 days and have about 5x the growth in the same amount of time.

My first run with autos and first serious run indoors. Outside I've got a good 30+ years experience -- this old dog isn't afraid to try something new. And, no, your opinion isn't worthless.

One thing about clones, you do need to factor in the time to raise a mother and then to root cuttings. Its a fairer comparison to what autos can do under the right circumstances.

My plants had quite a bit of growth -- but way too compact from me having the light too low. They've now shot up up about three inches from the last picture. I'm hoping thats a sign of kicking into flower. I'm waiting for flowers for the next run of pics..

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
You know I never thought I'd say this: man, I was really happy to see those balls .

My first plant just showed himself.
He was the usual suspect, 2 inches taller and with greater node spacing. I wish I was a better photographer. I just bought this camera for my wife at Christmas. TThis album was my first use. Here he is, 8" tall and 14" wide.
picture.php

I took a second plant out of the cab. He looks just like the first. Males often look so damn pretty when they're young (never thought I'd say that)

Here's my cab now. Four plants jammed into the 18" X 12" space.

picture.php

Here's a closeup. I really am trying to work on my camera skills. What looks like interveinal chlorosis in the picture is really nice healthy green to the naked eye.

picture.php

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Looking great!! Have you thought about doing LST on these?! Would be awesome since you are in a smaller space and LR#2 has lots of branching potential, put it to work!

If LST isnt you thing you could try to tuck and bend some of those fat leaves and let some light through...

They look great though, VERY fat main talks on them for their age.....

fatelvis

yeah claude, looks really healthy.

had same thoughts over males myself this week. wanted balls and got 3 for 3. kept the best. agree that it is a much nicer plant to look at whilst at a young age.

are you not worried about the overlap between them or will they get moved elsewhere?

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
are you not worried about the overlap between them or will they get moved elsewhere?

Elvis,

I just wanted the males out of the box so the girls could use the space. This is a seed run, and I'm very happy with the two males that came out. They both have nice structure and good smell -if you think a grapefruit that got peed on by an old tomcat "good smell."

I've got the males on a window ledge with my onions, tomatoes, peppers and papaver starts. They'll do just fine there until they are needed.

got 3 for 3
Ouch. I hope you had some more started. I'm always thinking the worst odds when I plant seeds: 3 seeds all male, 4? 5?

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
20/4,

Thanks. I think you were right so I LST'd the little blighters. It allowed me to pull the ladies in towards the center of the cab, and will save me from having to drop the shelf for a few more days.
picture.php

A closeup showing the side branches waiting to get some light and go all frosty on me.

picture.php

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Hey Man,

Something you should think about when you're trying to figure out if its the cold or something else that is keeping the growth limited-> There is basically a limit to how much a plant will reach if it is given enough light. Basically like being bent over during their entire growth period. If they learn early on that they don't need to grow UPwards, then the plant will exhibit that growth pattern until exposed to different growing conditions. That being said, bending the plants over like you have done is a great move. The plants will max (thus the wide and phat leaves)out that space as best they can. Good Luck.

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Awesome man, just a little bit of bending, twisting and tucking can go a LONG way, and literally add grams of weed to your harvest...Keep that in mind ;)

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Aww Yea. Those new shoots are good to see!

So can you drop that shelf more or are you at the bottom right now?

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Aww Yea. Those new shoots are good to see!

So can you drop that shelf more or are you at the bottom right now?

I've got about 7.5 inches left to drop. Right now the topmost shoots are 11 inches from the light. Its going to be a tight fit in this 30" tall cab!

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
My Lowryders seem to be slowriders when it comes to flowering. I suppose I should have been wary of a site whose main selling point seems to be a bare breated blonde with marijuana leaf nipples. Anyway, they are not autoflowering yet at 32 days post emergence.

First, here's a picture of a LSTd "slowrider":

picture.php

Its a healthy plant, 14 curving inches long with a stout healthy main stem and nine nodes.

Nary a flower. The plant that had what looked like a male flower? That was just a growth anomaly, a bud that was damaged or deformed.

They were a bit cold for a while, but the lowest recorded temp was only 57 F. Most days they made it to 70-75 in the cab.

Anyway, they've had a lot more heat and room since I moved them into a cab with a mother/starting chamber below the flowering cab. There's a good foot between the pots now (I've got the light too high in this picture. It's at 14 inches now:

picture.php

I'm planning on starting some of Paradise's Pandora and Vertigo and tossing these outside or on the window ledge if I don't see some flowers by next Monday.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I started started single seeds of Pandora and Vertigo today as well as SnowdogxC99, Purple Maroc, HFH Hashplant and easy sativa. These last 4 need to be run with at least 18/6 light cycles or they'll flower.

I don't know what to think about my LR2s -- other than that I was sent something other than LR2s.

J

joejusttyped

Hey Claude I like the new cab!

That really sucks about the LR2. Where may I ask did you buy your pack?

MariJuanita

ICMag Donor
ClaudeHopper, I think your LR2s are imposters. Not sure WHERE you got those seeds, but it would be good to know so we can steer clear.

Even with cold temps and only 16 hours of light per day (just for example) you still should see flowering by the third week of growth, I would think. I grew out a pack of LR2 indoors last spring -- same colder temps in my grow area and I ran them at 18/6. They all finished around 70-78 days with nice frosty nugs. Here's a shot taken at day 68.

lowryder2_maincola-768x1024.jpg

This morning I chopped down two of my three Onyx, trimmed them and hung them up to dry. The ONYX is taking a little longer to finish too, due to MY colder temps and running them at 18/6.

I wonder what strain you really have?? It's short and stout, that's for sure.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Hey Claude I like the new cab!

That really sucks about the LR2. Where may I ask did you buy your pack?

Thanks, Joe.

It's enough room that I'll be able to try out a haze or thai next fall.

I got them at marijauna-seeds dot nl.

I'd not had trouble in the past, but that was before I found out about our wonderful host here, seed boutique and the bay.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
ClaudeHopper, I think your LR2s are imposters. Not sure WHERE you got those seeds, but it would be good to know so we can steer clear.

Even with cold temps and only 16 hours of light per day (just for example) you still should see flowering by the third week of growth, I would think. I grew out a pack of LR2 indoors last spring -- same colder temps in my grow area and I ran them at 18/6. They all finished around 70-78 days with nice frosty nugs. Here's a shot taken at day 68.

I do think they are imposters (from marijauna-seeds dot nl.). They are stout though, and they are very uniform with loads of good branching. I may have to dust one with some Nordic pollen if I can ever coax a flower out of them. They are rootbound now, that may do it.

This morning I chopped down two of my three Onyx, trimmed them and hung them up to dry. The ONYX is taking a little longer to finish too, due to MY colder temps and running them at 18/6.

Beautiful plant.

I wonder what strain you really have?? It's short and stout, that's for sure.
It's some sort of dwarf. I'm not pitching them, just going to concentrate on something else. I'd like to find out what I have, too.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I've been advised that there have been some issues with my seeds and they may need triggered by dropping to a 16/8 light period for a few days. Anyway, they'll make good if it doesn't work.