What's new

Blackstar 180w LRr2: The First Mission

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Yeah, I found the limit with my 120 yesterday. I was on my knees staring into the tent and I noticed some of the hairs on the biggest bud were leaves. The finest new leaf growth on the tallest plant was getting singed! I quickly took the light up a few inches. I had been running at 9-10" (which we'll call the "veg" time) and no troubles. I am now going to raise a few more seeing how low I am in comparison to Skotty. I was reading a few old forums were people were saying 8" is optimum, but I think its a game of russian roulette, especially with a fast grower like Onyx.

Regarding seedling mat-> Im telling you its a must have grow tool in general, you'll love it. I have a cabinet and a tent going right now. I didn't have enough space to put seedlings all in one place. The seedlings grown under the exact same light in the cabinet with the mat were all 15% bigger after 7-9 days then the ones with no root heater. Its the perfect place for the heat to come from too, since warm roots allows the plants to stay more stable during swings in temperature,, the way a big tree survives deep freezing winters with long roots down below permafrost.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Regarding seedling mat-> Im telling you its a must have grow tool in general, you'll love it. I have a cabinet and a tent going right now. I didn't have enough space to put seedlings all in one place. The seedlings grown under the exact same light in the cabinet with the mat were all 15% bigger after 7-9 days then the ones with no root heater. Its the perfect place for the heat to come from too, since warm roots allows the plants to stay more stable during swings in temperature,, the way a big tree survives deep freezing winters with long roots down below permafrost.

Good advice as always. I know that you are absolutely correct in this. Thanks.

I'm going to build a bigger cab (I'm really enjoying this, it's like an aquarium to watch) so I have room to do a few more things. Size wasn't an issue in choosing the cab, it was simply convenient to use as I had it on hand.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
l.e.d lights are good mate, i know they have there doubters but fuk em lol

Indeed.

I'm liking what I see with your buckets. Its much more appealing to me than the hydroponic methods utilizing emitters and elaborate ebb and flow tables.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I'm just looking in on my plants and, again, I am astounded at the growth rate of autos.

picture.php

The largest plant is 8 inches across(make that NINE inches, I just measure the babe) just 11 days after emergence. It is somewhat freakish in appearance with mottled and crinkled leaves since germination. I'm not sure what to make of it as the others are all an even healthy green.

picture.php

J

joejusttyped

Great quick growth. I am hoping my babies will beef up now that theyre under the led.

Heres some pix, just thought id share:

b8410ce1.jpg

58d58a26.jpg

All five were started in an Aerogarden under 78w CFL
The three party cups are young sour 60s in hempys and the two others are confirmed purple mazar girls in hempys as well. 100% perlite, GH Micro and Bloom Lucas Formula

I am lovin the LED.... Although i think i need a nice dark pair of sunglasses. The LED is making my vision green x_x

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I am lovin the LED.... Although i think i need a nice dark pair of sunglasses. The LED is making my vision green x_x

Damn, Joe -- even the pictures are blinding!

Seriously, we either need shades or to shut them off when working with them.

Is this a Gotham unit? Looks like they were right on the money with the shipping!

J

joejusttyped

Yeah ordered from gotham. I had it shipped to a friends house about two hours from my house. He said it was at his door the day after i ordered it. That picture is from a half hour after setting everything up today.

Also, yeah an on/off switch should definitely be considered on the next generation BlackStar lights. Seriously after five minutes of poking my head in the tent, everything i look at becomes a shade of minty green.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Joe, You're going to love it!

I look forward to seeing more -- if the damn LEDs don't blind me first!

How big an area is it going to be covering?

The lack of an on/off switch is a bit of a pain but I get by with the powerbar switch.

J

joejusttyped

Sorry forgot to mention its all being housed in a HomeBox XS which is 23.5 x 23.5 x 47.5
Also have a 4" carbon filter and fan for when they start getting stinky.

Next batch of pics ill use the digicam... My iPod doesnt take very good ones =)

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Joe: Also have a 4" carbon filter and fan for when they start getting stinky.

Rats! I've got to get busy on that! The cat says they stink!

My light is at 9" above the canopy. The growth is short and stout: three inches high and nine inches wide at 14 days old.

picture.php

picture.php

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
You might be able to encourage more internodal spacing by raising your light. More space inside the plant would be of great advantage for air circulation and light penetration.

What is your water ph? That mottling effect could be from Ca and Mg lockout. A low ph in soil and H2o will lockout the Ca+ and Mg+ from solution. I had a big problem at about 6-8 weeks with my non-af plants. Looked like fert burn at first, but I was using a low NPK tea, so I kept thinking. Basically I was looking at Ca/Mg lockout. I raised my water ph back to just under 7, repotted into remixed soil w lime(CaCO3) so now there plenty of Ca & Mg, and viola plants right back on track.... check out my thread and I'll put the update with healthy plants up today. You can see in my previous post what some obvious lockout looks like. Since your leaves show little discoloration I think this is minor problem for you if at all... but watch out for more interleaf "dryness" or "scarring".

This concept of pH and Ca availability is a key chemical relationship to be aware of when trying to master any gardening. At certain pH zones the nutrients in the water or soil are highly available, and outside of that zone nutes can still be present, but unavailable.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
You might be able to encourage more internodal spacing by raising your light. More space inside the plant would be of great advantage for air circulation and light penetration.

What is your water ph? That mottling effect could be from Ca and Mg lockout. A low ph in soil and H2o will lockout the Ca+ and Mg+ from solution.

They do seem too squat. I'l drop the shelf 1.5 inches.

The mottled leaves were a concern. I did check the ph, and it is just under 7. It had to be a deficiency of sorts because the mottling is fading since I gave them their first taste of Maxibloom 4-5 days ago.

I'm on my way to work now but I'll check out your thread this evening.

Thanks for the advice!

420ish

just got my new gotham 180 and it is bright.the only problem i have is i put it on a kilwatt meter and it is only drawing 72 watts.i figured they would be drawing at least 90 to 100

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
just got my new gotham 180 and it is bright.the only problem i have is i put it on a kilwatt meter and it is only drawing 72 watts.i figured they would be drawing at least 90 to 100

Thanks for that information! I am very curious if anyone else has similar results. I agree with you, I thought it would be 95-100.

It's certainly more light than I need in the 12" X 18" cab.

J

joejusttyped

Haha. The Pandora sounds nice I was checkin em out. As does Automaria 2, its said to be sativa dom.

Anyways when are we gonna see an update? :D

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Joe,

It is day 18. I wanted to wait till I see the first flower for pictures.

The plants are growing far faster than I thought possible. I raised the lights as skulls suggested and the plants are starting to stretch - just a bit.