What's new

Blackstar 180w LRr2: The First Mission

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been looking at these lights, quite a good value it appears. I read on another forum that these 240 units draw 140 watts actual. Good for a 2x2 tent.

I have the HGL LED's but to do it over would save some $ and go with these. The uv light is interesting, I would wear shades working with them on tho.

MariJuanita

ICMag Donor
I've actually been using LED lighting for clone and vegging area the last couple years. I started out with the 90 watt UFO's - using the 1watt Bridgelux LEDs. I purchased them on eBay. But LED lights are not created equal, and over time I've moved to the higher output LED lights that use 2 or 3 watt CREE leds... Much better canopy penetration, for one thing.

Regarding the Pro Grow line of grow lights -- with the ability to switch to only flower spectrum, or only vegging spectrum, or BOTH... It allows me to turn a flower room into an 'all phases of growth' room and that saves me space, and saves me time messing about with moving the plants from here to there.

The 180 Watt Pro Grow (photo in my previous post) has both veg and flower spectrums switched ON for giving the ONYX girls the most lumens. I probably won't switch to just the flower spectrum till the last 2 weeks.

I also have the 550 watt Pro Grow LED -- its hanging in a flower room. I just put xome Chronic and C99 BX1s (14 plants total) I transplanted into 1 gallon pots under that light to veg enough to take cuttings and for sexing -- I've got Flower spectrum switched OFF, Veg spectrum switch ON. So it's using just 225 watts. I'll have ~ 30-40 plants vegging in there by the end of next week.

I've been really happy with all the LED grow lights I've purchased from Hydroponics Hut. Be careful to check for warranty and return policy if you look on eBay. There are a couple reputable LED light vendors on eBay, but many tend to grossly overestimate (downright LIE about) the light's MH/HPS equivalents and the light's coverage.

MariJuanita

ICMag Donor
How are you liking it? Your girls look good.
Here's a couple new photos of the ONYX girls taken yesterday. They are progressing nicely compared to previous photo taken at 2 weeks. I had to raise the light up a good foot or so. (pardon my crappy camera...)

Plant #1 (white tag) is unaltered. Plant #2 is fimmed. Plant #3 is topped (it used to be best plant, but now my vote is with #2)

P2160062-1024x768.jpg

Onyx plant #2

P2160063-768x1024.jpg

fyi - I've got a grow journal for the Onyx and Pro Grow LED going over at Potshots.org.

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
mate it takes a little while for plants to recover after they have been fimmed and topped but dont write them 1's off just yet :)

ive seen what happens when you top the onyx

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I've got a grow journal for the Onyx and Pro Grow LED going over at Potshots.org.

I checked it out. I loved your outdoor patch...its something an old guerrilla grower like me pines for -- a nice legitimate place to grow the medicine my family needs.

---

I had a few too many seeds pop but I got lucky at Home DePot. This is one damn big CFL for just $14.95. I'll be able to carry three extra tykes along tilll they sex with this:
picture.php

MariJuanita

ICMag Donor
I loved your outdoor patch...its something an old guerrilla grower like me pines for -- a nice legitimate place to grow the medicine my family needs.
Yeah, I am thankful for my outdoor garden area. Its just large enough to grow about 12 MONSTER plants. But once I tear down the old shed which is using up the same amount of SUNNY ground space as my garden area, I'll be able to double that.

As for being an 'old' guerilla grower - I'm one too (circa 1950). Probably was the ONLY female guerilla grower planting out in the Oregon forest back in the 70s. I LOVE growing outdoors and nowdays I just have to step out my back door. Lucky me!

How are those Lowryder2s coming along?

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
I've actually been using LED lighting for clone and vegging area the last couple years. I started out with the 90 watt UFO's - using the 1watt Bridgelux LEDs. I purchased them on eBay. But LED lights are not created equal, and over time I've moved to the higher output LED lights that use 2 or 3 watt CREE leds... Much better canopy penetration, for one thing.

Regarding the Pro Grow line of grow lights -- with the ability to switch to only flower spectrum, or only vegging spectrum, or BOTH... It allows me to turn a flower room into an 'all phases of growth' room and that saves me space, and saves me time messing about with moving the plants from here to there.

The 180 Watt Pro Grow (photo in my previous post) has both veg and flower spectrums switched ON for giving the ONYX girls the most lumens. I probably won't switch to just the flower spectrum till the last 2 weeks.

I also have the 550 watt Pro Grow LED -- its hanging in a flower room. I just put xome Chronic and C99 BX1s (14 plants total) I transplanted into 1 gallon pots under that light to veg enough to take cuttings and for sexing -- I've got Flower spectrum switched OFF, Veg spectrum switch ON. So it's using just 225 watts. I'll have ~ 30-40 plants vegging in there by the end of next week.

I've been really happy with all the LED grow lights I've purchased from Hydroponics Hut. Be careful to check for warranty and return policy if you look on eBay. There are a couple reputable LED light vendors on eBay, but many tend to grossly overestimate (downright LIE about) the light's MH/HPS equivalents and the light's coverage.

This is good advice. Switching anything is a pain in the ASS! Spend the money and get what you need!

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I LOVE growing outdoors and nowdays I just have to step out my back door. Lucky me!

How are those Lowryder2s coming along?

Very lucky, indeed!

Here's a quick update on my seedling:

Day 5 from emergence:
picture.php

picture.php

9cef8f0e64079291161bcf0a52ac402c_607006.jpg

I had the light a bit too far the first day, about 15 inches. Its about 11 inches now and the stretching stopped.

My temps are a little low in the evening hours. I may have to pop a CFL in the cab just for heat.

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Id like to see an update on this operation you've got yourself going! :D

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Id like to see an update on this operation you've got yourself going! :D

Thanks for the interest:

The first pic was to show the tight spacing between nodes. I had the light a tad too far the first day. Now they are staying squat:
picture.php

Eight days after emergence:
picture.php

Two of the six plants are significantly larger and I'm expecting them to be males.

For this run I'd be happy with a pair of females.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I thought the LED fans were a bit loud so I cut a 12"x4" flap in the back of a box and set the upside down box over my light. The sound has now been halved. I can't even hear it even from just outside the door to the room.

a4f6196a2bbd18d80ad5347c406f9993_610045.jpg

I'm really happy so far. My main problem is low temperatures - I'm right around 70 at night.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Looks like they are on the road to Budsville. What kind of soil mix did you end up using?

If you want to make a $25 investment a seedling heating mat is a good thing to have. They make starting seeds easier/faster, cloning easier/faster, and they are clutch for keeping a small space warm when they lights are out. They generally heat up to 10-20F degrees more then ambient for seed starting, but that is about enough in my experience to keep an otherwise room temp area at semi-tropical temps and humidity.

You can see mine peaking out from under the cloning tray here:

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Looks like they are on the road to Budsville. What kind of soil mix did you end up using?

If you want to make a $25 investment a seedling heating mat is a good thing to have. They make starting seeds easier/faster, cloning easier/faster, and they are clutch for keeping a small space warm when they lights are out. They generally heat up to 10-20F degrees more then ambient for seed starting, but that is about enough in my experience to keep an otherwise room temp area at semi-tropical temps and humidity.

You can see mine peaking out from under the cloning tray here:

That looks just like what I need.

My cab is in an isolated unheated room. That mat would be perfect for my needs. I checked my temperature trackings and the cab has been down to 63 degrees. Day time temps have ranged in the mid 70's up to 82.

The soil mix is (8 quart bags) Jiffy seed starting mix, Jiffy organic starting mix, Miracle Grow seed starting mix, two bags of perlite and one of vermiculite. I know the Jiffy starting mix has always seemed less likely to be overfertilized than the the miracle grow mixes. I'm using MaxiBloom for fertilizer and I'll start that at half strength the next watering. It seems to be a nice light blend.

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Wow they are scootin, right along! Not alot to say now except they look healthy and happy! Im gonna be watching to see what this LED can do, i may just buy one if it gets close to my expectations...

What are you hoping to achieve with it?

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Wow they are scootin, right along! Not alot to say now except they look healthy and happy! Im gonna be watching to see what this LED can do, i may just buy one if it gets close to my expectations...

What are you hoping to achieve with it?

My goal with these LR2's was some quick meds for my wife and to get the hang of a cab grow. I'll be happy with 2 ounces of good quality.

I've had three consecutive outside grow failures due to weather, thieves and careless herbicide applications (my neighbor's reckless use of Roundup on a windy day killed my entire vegetable garden, damaged my trees and took out the nicest looking crop I'd had in 25 years. His insurance covered everything I could admit to having.

I'm also finding that I enjoy peeking in on my babies -- ALL the time!

I am astounded at how they are taking off. It looks like an inch of growth from yesterday:

The 2 largest are now more than 6 inches wide. I'm a happy guy!
picture.php

picture.php

J

joejusttyped

Yea, shit i cant wait until i get my 240 on saturday. Looks great so far bro.

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
l.e.d lights are good mate, i know they have there doubters but fuk em lol

the 1st lesson you will learn is the distance the lights need to be above the plants for the best results

im guessing its gonna be different for every type of led light and its all about dialling in once you have your light distances figured out then watch your plants take off :)

always start off with the lights higher especially with seedlings as the light will be to bright and will slow their growth as i think you have already noticed, a lot of new growers wanna get that light as close a s poss as soon as poss but that aint the way these babies work

gradually lower the lights as the different stages take effect

seedling stage 32" above the plants

vegging stage 22"-24" above the plants

flowering stage 14-18" above your plants ( this can be altered to produce dense or airy buds) e.g if you have the light closer it will produce tighter buds if you have it further away they will be more fluffy

i know the above info applies to my grow panel but i hope this helps you out a little bit with your grow and i wish you a sucsessfull harvest :good:

Latest posts

Latest posts