What's new

big plant ppk

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone altered there ratio - Jack's to CalNit (1/.67) - to lower the nitrogen during flower? I'm currently experiencing slight nitrogen toxicity @ day 57 - 12 week strain.

Any way to do this without messing up the ratios? Specifically calcium.

Thanks.

Mister_D

Veteran
Missed that flowering time bit in your pm tom ;). That being the case I'd drop the cal-nit all together right now, feed just the jacks at the usual rate for a week, then feed plain ph'd water until harvest :tiphat:.

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
did d9 flush? This wouldn't be possible in a shared, perpetual reservoir which is what I plan to do in the near future... This contradicts what was stated by d9.

Gry

Veteran
No, he did not. He did make arrangements to shut off individual buckets from the system, so that they could be flushed by hand watering. With the original systems, it was done using a cloths pin on the surgical tubing between the tire valve and the plastic tubing. The shut offs/ flow adjustment were on the manifolds when he went to the larger hose.

forkup

D9 repeatedly said he did not flush except in his earliest thread. I think experimentation is required.

There's a few other threads here based on using Jacks and calnit and most do talk about flushing altho they aren't running ppks.

zeke99

hey guys, why do you need the PDF's at this point? even pics?

what D9 (w/input along the way from others) came up with works great as described.

some still use 2x3.5 gallon buckets w/tire valves to GREAT EFFECT!!!

Those first two sentences ARE NOT in opposition. I use my limited brain to remember other things and keep the pdfs so that I don't need to have it on instant recall. Maybe i'll want to build more of the tire valve PPKs in the future. I might forget something that isn't obvious by just looking at what I already built.

Mister_D

Veteran
I forget if it was d9, or hl45 that repeatedly stated he didn't find flushing necessary in a ppk if nute strength was kept no higher than 1.2EC or 600ppm @ .5 throughout the cycle. IMO some amount of flushing is necessary for the best end product in any system. How much, depends on media and nute strength used, as well as personal preference/sensitivity.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
D9 said he didn't flush. He said he used EC readings from low to 3.6EC as I remember... What he thought was best might be different than his experiences.

In my experiences.... you need to see the plant dying in order for quality smoke. I don't care what the plant is fed, but it needs nothing toward the end if quality is the utmost concern.

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking now that I will operate this room for both vegetative and flower, one full cycle of mono crop. I can then control the entire cycle in an ideal, aggressive climate. This will allow for variable conditions during different growth cycles - late vegetative, stretch (70% humidity, higher nitrogen), mid flower (possible change in solution chemistry, maintain high humidity?), and late flower for climate change (C02 levels, flush, temperature drop, light intensity drop) etc...

I will get less crops, but the quality will certainly be superior. I desire variety, but I will be able to achieve great quality so that I can then trade with local growers and dispensaries when the law allows ;).

I'll change my mind tomorrow probably, but this strategy appears sound for my goals.

I'm going to maintain hydro production so I can produce low yielding genetics in a cost efficient manner.

zeke99

i thought i'd take a moment to explain my posting situation. about 4 weeks ago i began a new hep c antiviral therapy. i have gotten progressively more ill as a result and my latest blood work shows me turning somewhat anemic.

i am very weak physically and am having trouble functioning but i am getting it all done, in pieces.

anyone needing help should post here to the general group rather than to me personally. i especially won't have time for long detailed responses in pm.

i've got 2 more months of this intense part and then a year of the balance.

at this juncture there are a lot of folks who understand this thing as well as i do and i'm sure someone will come along soon to answer your questions.

thanks
well wishes.

i hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:

zeke99

i'm flooding every 90 minutes in both veg and flower. i'm cloning in the main veg system at 600 ppm just like everything else.

no domes or special treatment. just a big cutting stuck in a hole. some dip-n-grow.

This is pulled from another thread. Am I to understand that d9 ditched the square shaped plastic container with covers (and the schedule of removing the covers) with a fabric wick and is putting freshly cut clones directly into a PPK unit?

Last edited:

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With a PPK d. ice? In my experience, it's not necessary and not even beneficial, but to each his own based on his own experience.

This system is just to damn simple .
You end up feeling like there must be more input needed
from the operator.

It really is a set and forget till harvey time.

As I recall, D9 stopped flushing with the new system and stated when using
jacks at low ppm/EC his final product was top shelf, clean and tasty...

I don't flush but I stop adding anything for the last 2 weeks.
Simply because if feels, right. Lol.

I feel like one of the lucky one's.
Having started growing with the PPK system.
I don't have to Un-learn things. Doh...

PPK for the win, Yo! :biggrin:

D. U. D. E ...:ying:

Grow4Flow

i've seen other PPK users come harvest time and the leaves are still very green. I start the fade early on to make sure anything N is depleted as much as possible and have done so in EVERY system i have ever run since 1993 growing with RW in upside down 2liter bottles.

Don't like the leafy taste of the Chlorophyll, and don't like my buds smelling like my landscaper just buzzed through here with his Lawnmower.

Yes, to each his own.

zeke99

i've seen other PPK users come harvest time and the leaves are still very green. I start the fade early on to make sure anything N is depleted as much as possible and have done so in EVERY system i have ever run since 1993 growing with RW in upside down 2liter bottles.

Don't like the leafy taste of the Chlorophyll, and don't like my buds smelling like my landscaper just buzzed through here with his Lawnmower.

Yes, to each his own.

I'd like to hear more about this.

The plants that I have grown in linked PPKs have never produced flowers that taste like chlorophyll or smell like fresh cut lawn grass, but of course, I do still have to trim, dry and cure them properly.

If the main reservoir runs dry during the last week or so I re-fill with water only, but this doesn't happen during every grow. I've been at it with the this system and just two different strains for the last few years now. It's not a small sample size.

So by 'starting the fade' are you able to skip the curing process or not depend on it as much or is it something else?

Last edited:

Permacultuure

Veteran
I believe D9 was running 600 ppm across the board and wasn't flushing bc he was running a perpetual room. I have great taste and aroma from ladies in a ppk and not flushed.....just sayin :)

Latest posts

Latest posts