What's new

big plant ppk

Gry

Veteran
Wow, last couple of pages have something going for them.
theplaya - the standard would be to trim, cut or just break them off.

Hey quick question. I have build a ppk using the (3) 1.5 tailpipes and today I raised the tub to look inside and see a bunch of roots have gotten down to the bottom container. Would it be ok to just leave them or shoild I trim them off? I'm worried with the conditions of not have d.o. in there the roots will eventually be rotted. Any help would be appreciated. And delta where ever u r I thank u from the bottom of my heart for introducing this great system to the whole world.

Trim them off or pull them out....if u got root rot u can smell it for sure....smells like nasty eggs....bad news.....if not draining fast enuf....drill some wholes in the buckets....if it's root bound not much media should fall out if it do...and u want to....Just vacume it out and refill to proper ppm.....much love to all ppkers.....props to d9......:ying::biggrin: bless

theplaya

Everything floods and drains in under 5 mins. I'm sure those roots have been there for at least a week. But they r pearly white and very healthy

Good.....yeah I've ripped out roots before they sat for two long.....the plant stayed healthy and just like you said were pearly even tho they were submerged.....You got brother/sister..........keep up the good work......next time around you might wanna do bigger top buckets ...ppk makes em get so big so fast....bless:ying::biggrin:

luv2par

For smaller 4 plant or less ops I've thought about uniseals and large pipe similar to the undercurrent so each container just dumps straight back into the res. Uniseals and barbed ends work well with flexible pipe and are pretty leak proof imo and quick to build. I saw a setup using them and think I'll use them on my next build instead of the carlon fittings. I had a few leaks at first with the carlon fittings but they settled down and I haven't had an issue in over a year.

If you're going to use a single large tailpiece the carlon fitting I showed a few pages back works very well and is easier to modify to work properly than the other methods I see. It has is fairly thin lip which I think helps drainage.

I get some kind of mold/bacteria build up in my res over time. My system is lightproof yet it slowly builds up requiring frequent PITA cleanups. I've read thru a few threads and solutions and am currently trying aquarium filters but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and how they handle it. Has anyone tested running a dead res compared to using bennies? Does anyone run a biofilter with success?

All u need a timer and a <5v <200mA DC transformer 1-2 min twice a day shock the hell out of those bacterias in ur res. Good luck... :tiphat:

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Its got a trunk

Its been revegged

Its a BEAST!

Might even go for a third harvest, off the same hydro plant....

D9$ experiments seem to be working for me at least. Yrmv

Attachments

• WP_20140707_006.jpg
    WP_20140707_006.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 11
  • WP_20140707_007.jpg
    WP_20140707_007.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 11
  • WP_20140707_005.jpg
    WP_20140707_005.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 9

theplaya

So almost a week since pulling out the roots. Today I checked again and yet again a lot of roots know the bottom bucket. Any idea what is causing this. I am using the round tubs air gap is 3.5 inches. And I flooded for 40 sec every 1.5 hours. It is week 6 of veg. In a few weeks the girls will be too big for me to lift up the tub to pulls roots again. Don't want them sitting in conditions where I'm pretty sure will rot them

forkup

Big girl there high life :) Good work, how did you handle the plant after harvest? Any root trimming, transplanting, media replacement or anything?

theplaya: not sure what you can do. I have it happen occasionally myself but it's never turned into an issue. Sometimes when I pull them they never grow back, other times they do and there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to why.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
She's still growin took the whole rootball and put it in a larger container. Shell be handled like every other big girl I've grown, chopped, hung, dried then trimmed. I left all the bottom bugs last harvest and she revegged for a couple months in the same container. Then I took her out and put her in a larger container. All the media was one solid root mass...no rot:)

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I get some kind of mold/bacteria build up in my res over time.

What's the pH in your res? Bacteria like above 7 so keep it low to avoid trouble.

So almost a week since pulling out the roots. Today I checked again and yet again a lot of roots know the bottom bucket. Any idea what is causing this. I am using the round tubs air gap is 3.5 inches. And I flooded for 40 sec every 1.5 hours. It is week 6 of veg. In a few weeks the girls will be too big for me to lift up the tub to pulls roots again. Don't want them sitting in conditions where I'm pretty sure will rot them

The plants won't add that much weight. I believe you will see visible signs of over-watering before they will rot... I never had any rot, but I did notice the over-watering signs when the roots got into the bottom. I've had buckets with no air gap go unattended to for several weeks and even a month or so...yet no rot... just clean water even in completely sealed buckets

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What reservoir is everyone using? I made the mistake of using a tote too weak and now using one that holds just enough to flood 4 sites. I will be making an eight site unit connected to one reservoir. So i'll purchase a 2400 GPH pump and 1/2" Pvc? That too constricted?

Have to find the buckets I purchased again. Will use rubber hose and carlon fittings again I'm thinking. Also going to use screened turface again but not as much in the growth sites.

What reservoir is everyone using? I made the mistake of using a tote too weak and now using one that holds just enough to flood 4 sites. I will be making an eight site unit connected to one reservoir. So i'll purchase a 2400 GPH pump and 1/2" Pvc? That too constricted?

Have to find the buckets I purchased again. Will use rubber hose and carlon fittings again I'm thinking. Also going to use screened turface again but not as much in the growth sites.

Most folks are using the 27 gal toes from Costco it seems. $9 and they're strong enough that you can fill them with water, put the lid on, and stand on them (not that I've done that). You MIGHT be able to get 8 sites on one, but in the 8 site perpetual I am building, I'm using 2 of them.